Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Asphodel has Black Centaurs and freespawn manikins they'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Asphodel is a bit unusual in the sense that it's a popkill nation that likes growth scales since it directly influences how much freespawn they get.

It's still nowhere near enough to mitigate the dominion popkill effect.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ynglaur posted:

I feel like if you screw up early and can't win, you should keep playing just to keep someone else from winning. I.e. be a goon.

this is my go to strategy in every dom game i've ever played

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Asphodel's popkill effect is slow enough that if somebody were to beat them pretty quickly in the game (1st and 2nd game years) they would be able to salvage some useable land.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

at least it's not ermor

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I've played against Asphodel (in Dom4), but I don't think I've played as them - certainly not in MP - so I'm just running off of vaguely recalled information and what I've seen playing against them. Being reminded that they like growth scales, for instance, though in retrospect it's obvious given their theme.

Kitfox88 posted:

this is my go to strategy in every dom game i've ever played

And honestly, it's mine too. :v:

edit:

Kitfox88 posted:

at least it's not ermor

To be fair, Ashen Empire wouldn't care about a bad first expansion, what with them not really caring about gold in the first place. Of course, that would also mean the host allowed them to be in the game, in which case it's everyone's fault for agreeing to it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 27, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

do NOT cast it!

FOOL! ERMOR CASTS AS IT PLEASES

burden of time dot jaypeg

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Eriu declares their prophet and I don't really get the reference here either. The way Eriu's name is set up I think there is a good chance it is a Trinity deity which is a new thing in Dominions 5.

lol at queen of fraud and theft tho

What can I say? I am a fraud

Ramc posted:

This fellow! Amber clan mages start F1W2 and have an additional level of either water, earth or nature. They are good for casting acid spells if that is your thing and can even lead a good chunk of troops. The downside is that they are aquatic and cannot freely go on land. They also start old or close to it.

I know they're holding candles, but for me it always looks like these guys are giving you the bird.

Also Ramc, while Knights of the Deep are awesome, be aware that the stars will go out when the last of them dies. Be careful with them.

Obscure SF-references Ramc won't get: 2
Common sense: 0

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

my dad posted:

Said kid grew up to be a very dumb dude (gee, I wonder why), ended up inheriting the kingdom, and pissing it all away, lol.
Must have gotten it from his dad's side...

Libluini posted:

I know they're holding candles, but for me it always looks like these guys are giving you the bird.
They're not? Mind blown.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Also Ramc, while Knights of the Deep are awesome, be aware that the stars will go out when the last of them dies. Be careful with them.

What are the chances that somebody outside of our very cool country reads Perry Rhodan?

Also, three German posters in a row, we rule this thread!

I wish somebody would LP Ys. It's such a cool nation flavor wise, even if it's not that strong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
im gonna break this combo because if we get one more german poster in a row this thread qualifies as a reich

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Going AI after one mistake that occurred on turn 2... If I still played dominions, which I do not (quit right before 4 came out), I would never play with such a person ever again. They signed up for a several months long commitment and then played for a couple days and quit. Even if they had just staled I'd be fine with it. Lose hope, have no money, stale a few times, then put in a few minutes here and there. Take those 5 provinces that are "no worth playing into year 2". Maybe script one glorious battle against a real human opponent, lose THAT BATTLE, then consider going AI. The ai is so dumb that going AI on turn 3 is really ruinous to the balance of the game in ways that being a horrible player aren't.

The difference between going AI and submitting a blank turn, is that if your turn is blank you can change your mind, AND if you have no money at all, a blank turn is basically just as good as a real turn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this super out of line? Don't most players usually wait until they lose one embarrassing battle against a real human being before they even consider going ai? There's always the chance that somehow all your neighbors are the worst players of all time and your horrible mistakes come to naught?

EDIT: Oh also, remember that guide for dominions 3? for Niefelheim? It became a bit of a meme (famous guide, yet worst guide), I'm not sure anyone still remembers it. The guide suggested skipping your first 10-20 turns or so, so you could afford Niefelheim giants and then you could go conquer the world. Does the goon-server not allow players to simply ignore the game for a week and easily AFK skip 5 turns (stale) to recover some income to start playing from way behind?

namad fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 27, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Amber clan mages are absolutely flipping everyone the bird all the time. This is canon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'm just saying. Luckily the pixel art is ambiguous enough that I can wholeheartedly agree. As long as no dev shows up to use the real true canon cannon to shoot us into the no fun zone, that is

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Anyone who wishes for a perpetual staler over an early quit is insane and if you pull that poo poo I will hound you off the earth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

Baby tossing should have been a national spell.

5 nature gems: Alteration 3 requires 2N: resurrect 1 unit, in 20 years caster transforms into horror marked militia commander with madman.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How are u posted:

It's kind of understandable to get discouraged and feel like quitting when you have an early expansion disaster, I get that. But, by turn 4 there are still so many things up in the air that could break your way. You don't know if your neighbors are having just as bad luck as you. You don't know who you'll end up bordering, and how peaceful or warlike or vulnerable they are. It's really too early to throw in the towel.

And! If you do end up too far behind the curve to be an actual player in the game you get to be a tiny rump state until somebody conquers you. Playing a stunted empire of a handful of provinces and your capitol isn't bad at all. Turns take maybe 5 minutes, and you can play a fun game where you stack as much poo poo as you can in your cap focusing entirely on making life as miserable as possible for the guy who decides to come and finish you off!

let me tell you about mouflons

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, I would welcome a tetrible rear end start. A whole week where my turns take only 5 minutes to only worry about my cap circle sounds great. Getting into a Dom multiplayer game is like joining a running club. That is a daily commitment to turn on your computor and click buttons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I too had some starts that where so bad I threw a tantrum, ripped down my cap fortress and went AI.

But mostly, all my starts tend to be at least somewhat lovely, since I'm still trying to get the platinum trophy for being the Worst Player Ever.

If one of my starts goes really well I get scared and confused

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I wish somebody would LP Ys. It's such a cool nation flavor wise, even if it's not that strong.

i am never LPing another UW nation again

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ramc posted:

i am never LPing another UW nation again

And here Ramc realises the truth of Dominions...

gently caress the Ocean.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

real pros play la ry'leh :can:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

real pros play la

doubtful

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

namad posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this super out of line? Don't most players usually wait until they lose one embarrassing battle against a real human being before they even consider going ai? There's always the chance that somehow all your neighbors are the worst players of all time and your horrible mistakes come to naught?

It's a little bit lame and in this case definitely funny, but it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Ys is fun, even batshit insane during expansion, but not as fun as you'd think in the long term. Their sacred cav is insane on land, but once people develop counters your chaff is pretty generic IIRC.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, I would welcome a tetrible rear end start. A whole week where my turns take only 5 minutes to only worry about my cap circle sounds great. Getting into a Dom multiplayer game is like joining a running club. That is a daily commitment to turn on your computor and click buttons.

That's kind of why I've never gotten 4 or 5 despite really liking 3. My old account here was ProfessorGroove (I requested a ban then forgot the email I used for that one when I wanted to reregister), I doubt anyone remembers me because I didn't play a whole ton but I did play a bit with you guys and even won one once. It's just the style of one turn a day really goes against how I like to play games. Sometimes I want to do 20+ turns a day, sometimes I want to do none. You always have to do one though, no matter what you're feeling like.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

You always have to do one though, no matter what you're feeling like.

Mandatory scheduled fun.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's the moment of my day where I get to pretend to be a very cool and skilled fantasy general and forget that i'm a loving goon living in a climate change hell world :waycool:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

How are u posted:

It's the moment of my day where I get to pretend to be a very cool and skilled fantasy general and forget that i'm a loving goon living in a climate change hell world :waycool:
Most Dominions worlds would be very happy if climate change was their biggest long-term problem. :v:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

frankenfreak posted:

Most Dominions worlds would be very happy if climate change was their biggest long-term problem. :v:

illwinter buff second sun tia

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Ys is fun, even batshit insane during expansion, but not as fun as you'd think in the long term. Their sacred cav is insane on land, but once people develop counters your chaff is pretty generic IIRC.

Most amusing counter to any sacred in MA will always be Guardians. Who needs any specific magical counter when you can just quickly fatigue them out even if you can't actually hit them?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Libluini posted:

I too had some starts that where so bad I threw a tantrum, ripped down my cap fortress and went AI.

But mostly, all my starts tend to be at least somewhat lovely, since I'm still trying to get the platinum trophy for being the Worst Player Ever.

If one of my starts goes really well I get scared and confused

For a second I thought "wait didn't I see an LP where you killed a pretender god with a turkey" but no I was confusing you with Lilli.

god drat that was funny

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Conot posted:

Anyone who wishes for a perpetual staler over an early quit is insane and if you pull that poo poo I will hound you off the earth.

Is the ai much smarter in Dominions 5 than in Dominions 3? In Dominions 3 I stand by my claim that infinite stales are smarter than the AI. Although by 5 some things have been reworked, sc's are less powerful, you can't manipulate minor tax fluxations every turn? Maybe independents that are awful aren't picked by the ai as often? That was the AI's main problem in 3, spending all it's money every turn on anything it could recruit (read: weak independent troops) then attacking randomly (read: attacking the enemies strongest province instead of it's weakest province, and doing so with what will likely be a chaff army).

That said usually in situations where I'd be hoping for infinite staling over AI it'd be like turn 20 or 30 and so there'd already be some wisely scripted mages and troop formations sitting somewhere that could outperform the AI's future income's chaff spam strategy. Which is why in this case I was wishing for lots of staling combined with 1or2 more turns played at some random point in the future. You could even fake an infinite stale, wait for someone to be about to attack you, then start spending your money and arranging troops for 2 turns. Hope they don't notice you stopped staling, and bloody the nose of a greedy potentially game leading player?

That said I guess anyone who WANTS to effect the game isn't going to stale, and anyone who doesn't want to effect the game won't care if they upset someone in a game they're not interested in. Given that this is a let's play thread though, I imagine someone would've been willing to sub in for the glory? If someone stale's a few times in a row someone else can just sub in for them, but once you set AI it cannot be unset? Or does dominions 5 multiplayer no longer allow stealing someone else's game seat? Like was possible in 3?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Comedy option: Make AI default to aggressive, impossible difficulty, and watch it steamroll a player through the magic of "I can recruit 10 times more guys than you, I can afford to be stupid". :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 5

Dominions 5 LP- now with events!

But first waaaar!

Look at these dorks. Kulullu, because Merenkindu sounds too cool, are a new UW indie added to Dom5. They're pretty beefy but also large so fewer of them fit to a square making it easy to focus them down. They hit hard but aren't super accurate or anything. They're fodder really.

haha run cowards run

My mermage is using evocations 1 to cast this cool spell at them.

RIPS FLESH FROM BONE

Noone important gets hurt and the ranks of my militia thin.

On to events, this is one of those yawn events you just get as misfortune scales that gives even more misfortune. The magic scales would mean better RP in the province but it's just empty space.

Ok, that I'll gladly take. I love thermal vents now.

This is the map overview. I've kind of expanded myself into a corner here as my commanders and troops are not the amphibious ones. I have to regroup in the capital. The mobility issues of UW hurts right here, but sometimes even on land you have to eat a stale expansion turn to get an expansion army to critical indie-steamrolling mass rather than risk all and lose all like a common Asphodel.

Recruitment. I'd buy a more expensive mage but

i want those mercs!!!

There are still 17 dudes in it it's still good it's still good

I've made a few of these dudes before but now I am making even more for reasons. The Champion of the Closed Realm is my other cap only sacred troop and he's real good. Tough and amphibious they can raid freely. The weird looking dowsing rod icon next to his amphibious marker is the flag for Snow Move which is a 1 point water bless that removes the map move penalty for moving through snowy provinces because that was something Illwinter added to make cold scales painfully annoying.

Regrouping in my capital after which I will lunge those trolls and kraken. My mermage begins to look for sites. Next turn will probably be quiet, alas. Maybe we can talk about blessing or something.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

namad posted:

Is the ai much smarter in Dominions 5 than in Dominions 3?

no

namad posted:

It isn't really out of line. It's just a game and all the ribbing of Naksu is good natured he is actually a cool guy.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Naksu also hosts all the goon games so if that's the price to pay it's well worth it.

Nobody gave me any special favours I should start holding turn notifications from my bot to ransom :colbert:

E: assuming they're currently working

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 28, 2019

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

There are a number of dominions communities on the internet; in other places stuff like this might get you exiled but we're pretty relaxed about everything in general

dominions: it's just a game :)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think the only super ultra ironclad rule of goon dominions is that once two parties agree to a trade, you absolutely must go through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Honestly perma-staling is way worse because you make every turn last the length of the timer