Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

Percy Teatwillow posted:

yo these are really cool and i love the texture on em

Instead of grinding off the scale I just spent a few minutes under some water with 400-grit sandpaper. I am so SO pleased with how that finish looks.

https://giant.gfycat.com/SizzlingThickIbis.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH vanisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

I'm working on something that's 4 times the size of my usual pieces (16"x20" instead of 8"10"!!!)

Since I don't have the patience to write a graphic novel (which is what I've always wanted to do) I'm trying to work in some graphic novel type elements into drawings, i.e. in this case the paneling and repeat locations but in future pieces hopefully something along the lines of a visual storyline or somethin'

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 3, 2021

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Bird stuff, spooky theme

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm working on something that's 4 times the size of my usual pieces (16"x20" instead of 8"10"!!!)

Since I don't have the patience to write a graphic novel (which is what I've always wanted to do) I'm trying to work in some graphic novel type elements into drawings, i.e. in this case the paneling and repeat locations but in future pieces hopefully something along the lines of a visual storyline or somethin'

ok I finished this

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ok I finished this

Looking at that bending unit I feel like I'm looking at myself as a robot looking over the crumbling remains of humanity after my brain finishes the transfer thousands of years after everyone else has already become a robot and hosed off into space. I'm not sure that's what you intended with that but the lights leaving the pyramid and going into space give me the feeling of leaving Earth and that little robot looks left behind. At least the whales survived.

I like it.

sig by owlhawk911

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

ok I finished this

woah x3

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Literally A Person

Smugworth Wuz Here

ok I finished this

I love this. Like pretty much everything you turn out. Love how it gives such an impression of depth. Love the colors. It's just great all around.

deep dish peat moss

Thanks everyone :blush: I am sticking with the theme but experimenting a little. yesterday I did this 8"x10" with like 99% just regular markers which is a change for me, there are parts I really like but I'm not happy with it overall because I can't not see it as balls and a floppy dong lol, it was intended to be more like a quadripedal animal

So today I'm remixing (demixing?) it into this, just waiting for these new paint pens to be delivered so I can go mask it all in with black acrylic

Part of this that's going to be neat I think is I've really been mashing the markers into the canvas for these parts so there's a bit of texture since it's a mixed media board and it's tearing up a little. But when I go over the white areas with black acrylic and mask it in it will be perfectly smooth, and it's going to make it look like all the landscapes are set back a ways into the drawing (I hope). I'm going to draw little cities in the background with marker/pencil before I do that, and then little silhouettes of cities in the foreground in black acrylic. Traditional art and abstract art are both hard to commercialize so I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull this off as a full-time thing BUT I think this would be a good style for printing en masse and selling to e.g. coffee shops, and it's a much more en vogue style of abstract art right now anyway (making unique patterns out of neat clean shapes) so maybe :pray: But I still have a few months at least to ramp this up before I'm going to have to go back to 9-5 work either way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 12, 2021

pixaal

Thanks everyone :blush: I am sticking with the theme but experimenting a little. yesterday I did this 8"x10" with like 99% brush markers which is a change for me, there are parts I really like but I'm not happy with it overall because I can't not see it as balls and a floppy dong lol, it was intended to be more like a quadripedal animal

I saw this the intended way and now can't unsee the spoiler in 2 ways one the balls are detached and on top the other it's a more artistic dong with balls in the right spot. Or maybe it's a stylized guy with his dong out no balls it's pants and a head

I need to look at the details now instead of the overall shape

sig by owlhawk911

deep dish peat moss

Here's how this one looks now, it's too dark but I might do something to brighten it up and break up the black lines a lil

I really like it with the white too so I think next time I may just go for clean lines in the first place and do that. But the black gives it a sort of uhhh, Mystery Science Theater thing where maybe you're going around riffing on dumb cities.

pixaal posted:

I saw this the intended way and now can't unsee the spoiler in 2 ways one the balls are detached and on top the other it's a more artistic dong with balls in the right spot. Or maybe it's a stylized guy with his dong out no balls it's pants and a head

I need to look at the details now instead of the overall shape

Right?! Ever since I noticed it it's all I can see, but maybe that makes it a good attention grabber. It even has triumphant veiny vines

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 13, 2021

deep dish peat moss

Dang I think this came out pretty cool. I need to re-scan it at some point because there were cat hairs in the scanner

ChubbyChecker

Dang I think this came out pretty cool. I need to re-scan it at some point because there were cat hairs in the scanner

what kind of scanner do you use? mine fucks up the pics. perhaps i should just take a pic and use gimp

deep dish peat moss

I have this thing, never used another scanner so I don't have a real point of comparison but I edited out the rest of the post in light of my better answer in the next post

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2021

deep dish peat moss

I just got a tripod and easel for taking art photos and they arguably look better than scanned for posting online to show off your art, depending on what you want to do with the images that may be better. People on social media or art posting sites tend to find the image more interesting when there's a slight bit of physical context in the background and it's just nice seeing the piece organically in its natural environment. Scans are better for printing or for cropping for digital use for sure, but if you have a modern phone you can use the Google Photoscan app to scan with that - just be prepared to have very steady hands or be handy with tripods/easels/etc.

$20 tripod and $10 tripod phone clamp:
raw from camera:

corrected (or "corrected" I am an amateur)

$400 scanner:
raw from scanner:

corrected - as a point of reference this one is closest out of all of these pictures to the real color of the drawing, which is almost the same as the phone's raw photo (I have a Pixel and Google's in-house phones do lots of AI-based color correcting automatically)

overcorrected similar to the phone "corrected" photo:

I scan at 300 dpi for print and an 8"x10" is comparable in actual image size to a picture from my phone's camera. I would say the phone's camera is more representative of what it looks like in real life too since it gives context for the size and shape as well

Also I have been learning that if you want your art to become popular online you have to do more than just share it, you have to tell people your story so they have some kind of emotional attachment to your work. I hate it. But including bits of the space where you work in the background of photos is a good way to contribute to that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 5, 2021

ChubbyChecker

I just got a tripod and easel for taking art photos and they arguably look better than scanned for posting online to show off your art, depending on what you want to do with the images that may be better. People on social media or art posting sites tend to find the image more interesting when there's a slight bit of physical context in the background and it's just nice seeing the piece organically in its natural environment. Scans are better for printing or for cropping for digital use for sure, but if you have a modern phone you can use the Google Photoscan app to scan with that - just be prepared to have very steady hands or be handy with tripods/easels/etc.

$20 tripod and $10 tripod phone clamp:
raw from camera:

corrected (or "corrected" I am an amateur)

$400 scanner:
raw from scanner:

corrected - as a point of reference this one is closest out of all of these pictures to the real color of the drawing, which is almost the same as the phone's raw photo (I have a Pixel and Google's in-house phones do lots of AI-based color correcting automatically)

overcorrected similar to the phone "corrected" photo:

I scan at 300 dpi for print and an 8"x10" is comparable in actual image size to a picture from my phone's camera. I would say the phone's camera is more representative of what it looks like in real life too since it gives context for the size and shape as well

Also I have been learning that if you want your art to become popular online you have to do more than just share it, you have to tell people your story so they have some kind of emotional attachment to your work. I hate it. But including bits of the space where you work in the background of photos is a good way to contribute to that.

many thanks! :tipshat:

deep dish peat moss

Today I've been churning out a bunch of bizarro NPC portraits for an rpgmaker game

and also

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss

pixaal

These guys are neat, doing any combat animations using bones? Or is everything going to be completely handmade frames? (both styles are fun, bones you can obviously have someone way less skilled make some complicated animations in combat, they also aren't going to look as good as handmade but making every animation frame takes forever so balancing act!)

sig by owlhawk911

deep dish peat moss

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I don't think I am going to include battles. If I include a battle system then I would feel compelled to make the combat well-balanced and challenging and somehow more exciting than normal JRPG combat which would probably take more effort than anything else I'm doing. It's going to be more of an open world thing with a bunch of surreal NPCs that have their own little pointless slice of life vignette quests which will, in a metroidvania-esque way, reward you in ways that let you explore new parts of the map or solve other vignette quests (and/or solve them in new ways). I just want to focus on the parts I'm good at: drawing weird characters and writing surreal slice of life prose :kiddo: There's only a vague hint of narrative/story outside of that (you are a moon drinker and you're here on ganymede to drink the moon, and the ganymedians are hypervigilant on the lookout for the fabled moon drinker)

I will most likely have some more complicated and exciting animations in NPC idle sprites as time goes on but I am brand new to animating so it's going to take me a while to figure out how much movement to show in 3 frames and things like that, but with only 3 frames to work with and since I'm limiting myself to 48x48 using bones is probably more effort than just drawing it. I would like to do more with well-placed simple animations backed up by atmospheric music and environment design than do less with everything fluidly animated, if that makes sense. If I don't stay minimalist I probably won't ever finish the project.

e: If I do include battles they will be optional and there will be very very few and I would probably go all-out with hiring a talented animator to make large, high quality sprites for them. Or they will be rap battles set to Randal Bravery's Ganymede Bartender beat tape (I'm hoping they'll let me license the album anyway bc a lot of it is super fitting for what I'm going for)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 19, 2021

deep dish peat moss

Here is a timelapse of everything that went into drawing this map (so far) today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3bqFc8AeNg

edit: hold on let's give it a little more personality

Some of this kind of exports as png weird from procreate so I don't realize it looks bad until I post it but like the crater in the top right I'll need to correct later

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 20, 2021

SIDS Vicious

ugly aliens in charcoal

ChubbyChecker

Sid Vicious posted:

ugly aliens in charcoal

:nice:

those are quite accurate

deep dish peat moss

Sid do you wnat to do art for my game

here's a mock up

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 29, 2021

ChubbyChecker

Sid do you wnat to do art for my game

here's a mock up

:nice

SIDS Vicious

more spooky october art

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Sid Vicious posted:

more spooky october art

:love: the charcoal sid

SIDS Vicious

binding of isaac is octobery

Epic Prison Guy

charcoal is boss and i have nothing but the most respect for anyone that can use it without getting shitall over the drawing on accident. props.

Epic Prison Guy

i hardly post here but i like art so

edit: I use blackletter ink pens and they're actually kind of expensive it's sort of getting on my nerves. Do any of the ink goons here like a certain brand they can reccomend? my biggest thing is that I hate SMEARING and I like a pen to have the size it say which with these blackletters it's been less and less accurate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic Prison Guy

Sorry, this website is kind of dumb, removed my picture

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Epic Prison Guy posted:

edit: I use blackletter ink pens and they're actually kind of expensive it's sort of getting on my nerves. Do any of the ink goons here like a certain brand they can reccomend? my biggest thing is that I hate SMEARING and I like a pen to have the size it say which with these blackletters it's been less and less accurate

i really like it. i haven't done pen and ink in a long time but i should really get back into it, wish I knew more about recommendations.

Prof. Crocodile

Epic Prison Guy posted:

Sorry, this website is kind of dumb, removed my picture

this is very cool!

I used to do pen and ink stuff, and smearing made me so disproportionately angry that I had to stop for my own well-being. so unfortunately any recommendations I have are like 10 years old.

deep dish peat moss

Epic Prison Guy posted:

I have gone through a whole lot of different fineliners and black pens to see how they all work

Smearing is easiest to avoid through paper choice in my experience. It depends on what you're doin' exactly and what kind of drawing you like and what you want to do with it but I am a big fan of Legion papers. You can get a sampler pack of small pads of their papers for pretty cheap, this one is all of their Stonehenge line which is made with watercolor in mind and therefore very absorbent, so it should minimize smearing. But it's also a thicker, heavier paper more like construction paper so keep that in mind.
https://legionpaper.com/artist-pad-collection

They also have a line of treeless paper called Yupo that I absolutely love for many things (it's the only 'paper' that liquid chrome actually works on!), but it is entirely non-absorbent and therefore will smear like crazy unless you let it sit for several hours to dry

Not what you're looking for because these are super smear-y but I really like Marker pads like these from Canson:
https://en.canson.com/artist-series/pro-layout-marker
It's a very thin very non-absorbent translucent paper that just looks great w/ black ink, and if you use markers (of any kind, not just copics or whatever) they blend so incredibly well because of it being translucent, it's amazing.
They in fact smear so much that drawing on them taught me how to be careful about smearing so :shrug: (it's just unavoidable sometimes though)

Pen-wise one thing I've noticed is that pen quality seems to vary from lot to lot, sometimes I buy a pack of pens that I usually love but they all dry fast or have brittle nibs that break or whatever, so YMMV, but I would suggest Pentel Pointliners, they're very light which makes them feel kind of 'cheap' but they're not cheaply made, the nibs are good, the sizes are consistent, and most importantly for your purposes they dry fast and have minimal smearing - I use them specifically because you can go over them with alcohol markers with only the most minimal smear. I tend to have minimal smearing with Microns too which are like the go-to workhorse of fineliners and black ink pens, they're the best bang for your buck and very cheap, there's nothing they're bad at and overall they are above average at most things, you can get them anywhere.

But maybe also try out acrylic pens like Posca, I love drawing with black poscas and it's a much deeper black than you'll get out of ink pens, plus acrylic dries super fast and therefore doesn't smear like ink does. The only real downside here is that they don't get any smaller than 0.1mm and you need to pump them occasionally (just push them against something to depress the nib) and shake them to keep the ink flowing.

Here's a deep dive into different fineliners including side by side comparisons in different situations which I found very helpful, it's where I found pointliners:
https://www.pullingers.com/what-is-the-best-fineliner-pen

Staedtler pigment liners (NOT the triliners which feel very cheap and have weak flow) are probably my favorite fineliner overall and do well with smearing (but not with copics), as well as having the most durable/well constructed pens and sturdiest nibs imo.They at least used to be much more expensive than the competition but maybe that's because I was getting them individually at an art supply store instead of in packs from Amazon

I have literally hundreds of pens, maybe even thousands at this point, someone send help

e: Also drawing in a dry environment helps with smearing! The faster the ink dries the less it will smear. Turn on a fan or something if possible.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 1, 2021

Epic Prison Guy

I have gone through a whole lot of different fineliners and black pens to see how they all work

Smearing is easiest to avoid through paper choice in my experience. It depends on what you're doin' exactly and what kind of drawing you like and what you want to do with it but I am a big fan of Legion papers. You can get a sampler pack of small pads of their papers for pretty cheap, this one is all of their Stonehenge line which is made with watercolor in mind and therefore very absorbent, so it should minimize smearing. But it's also a thicker, heavier paper more like construction paper so keep that in mind.
https://legionpaper.com/artist-pad-collection

They also have a line of treeless paper called Yupo that I absolutely love for many things (it's the only 'paper' that liquid chrome actually works on!), but it is entirely non-absorbent and therefore will smear like crazy unless you let it sit for several hours to dry

Not what you're looking for because these are super smear-y but I really like Marker pads like these from Canson:
https://en.canson.com/artist-series/pro-layout-marker
It's a very thin very non-absorbent translucent paper that just looks great w/ black ink, and if you use markers (of any kind, not just copics or whatever) they blend so incredibly well because of it being translucent, it's amazing.
They in fact smear so much that drawing on them taught me how to be careful about smearing so :shrug: (it's just unavoidable sometimes though)

Pen-wise one thing I've noticed is that pen quality seems to vary from lot to lot, sometimes I buy a pack of pens that I usually love but they all dry fast or have brittle nibs that break or whatever, so YMMV, but I would suggest Pentel Pointliners, they're very light which makes them feel kind of 'cheap' but they're not cheaply made, the nibs are good, the sizes are consistent, and most importantly for your purposes they dry fast and have minimal smearing - I use them specifically because you can go over them with alcohol markers with only the most minimal smear. I tend to have minimal smearing with Microns too which are like the go-to workhorse of fineliners and black ink pens, they're the best bang for your buck and very cheap, there's nothing they're bad at and overall they are above average at most things, you can get them anywhere.

But maybe also try out acrylic pens like Posca, I love drawing with black poscas and it's a much deeper black than you'll get out of ink pens, plus acrylic dries super fast and therefore doesn't smear like ink does. The only real downside here is that they don't get any smaller than 0.1mm and you need to pump them occasionally (just push them against something to depress the nib) and shake them to keep the ink flowing.

Here's a deep dive into different fineliners including side by side comparisons in different situations which I found very helpful, it's where I found pointliners:
https://www.pullingers.com/what-is-the-best-fineliner-pen

Staedtler pigment liners (NOT the triliners which feel very cheap and have weak flow) are probably my favorite fineliner overall and do well with smearing (but not with copics), as well as having the most durable/well constructed pens and sturdiest nibs imo.They at least used to be much more expensive than the competition but maybe that's because I was getting them individually at an art supply store instead of in packs from Amazon

I have literally hundreds of pens, maybe even thousands at this point, someone send help

e: Also drawing in a dry environment helps with smearing! The faster the ink dries the less it will smear. Turn on a fan or something if possible.

I typically use like bristol as paper. Last time I made the idiotic purchase of water paper (whatever brand hobby lobby sells, it's the only lovely art store near here sadly) and the depressions on the paper have hosed the tip up on a lot of my markers. Also, nothing will piss you off more than coming back from the store and you open one of thosepens and it has been leaking on the inside for god knows how long, likely the result of some idiot stock boy dropping a whole package of them onto the floor like they're not expensive pens

Epic Prison Guy

heres 2 more

Epic Prison Guy

this is my latest

biosterous

those are both fuckin dope, thank you

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Macnult

i really like the linework on that second one

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Epic Prison Guy posted:

heres 2 more

gently caress yeah!