Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

here's a drawing I've been working on as part of my astral projections during quarantine series

acrylic paint + gel pen + liquid chrome on black paper

Here's a giant 600dpi 66mb scan of it
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUs4LAMQfOlEn_UIAJNhNA37qH3_mL3b/view?usp=sharing

Here's the version I posted 6 days ago in a different thread

I like the buildings more in the old version when they were just plain featureless silhouettes but oh well

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

My long term plan is to draw a collection of surreal science fantasy landscapes and publish them in a coffee table book called something like Astral Projections from Quarantine, probably with each one accompanied by a short one-page story. get ready because I'm here to destroy your mobile data... with the exception of one of these they have all been drawing during the pandemic

(I have a bunch from before the pandemic too but I don't want to cheat).

Android Blues posted:

wow!!! this is extremely good!!

thank you :3:

deep dish peat moss

Oh and two more that I've started but that are set aside for when i finish this current one

(this one actually has a lot more work done on it now but I'm too lazy to take a pic right now. It has a farm and a tower that flying boats dock at, and a flying boat docked at the tower.

deep dish peat moss

Here is a gallery of everything that I have drawn that I have a scan or photo of https://www.behance.net/gallery/102009579/Weirdspace-the-art-of-bleaksploitation

Except these 4 drawings that aren't scanned yet and are getting scanned later today to turn into t shirts probably

Finally getting close to opening a store and pretending one day ill be able to quit my day job and draw ful ltime!!!!

deep dish peat moss

These are going to be some cool shirts I think

deep dish peat moss

I laughed at this 3 times now, twice on your instagram and once here

deep dish peat moss

Macnult posted:

lol thanks man. i’ve gotten a few print requests for it so if you’re interested i’ll hit you up

hell yeah I'd buy one

deep dish peat moss

tired of doing things the same old way, I am trying to come up with some new ways to make or manipulate my art.

First I scanned one of my drawings and just did a really sloppy magic wand -> delete on the white background

Then I did a select -> inverse, created a new layer and drew a ~60% (i think) opacity color throughout the entire selection, so it's a layer of half-transparent black on top of the line drawing. I like preserving the actual line drawing instead of making it all digital and this a) helps multiply colors better and b) helps out with the aliased white pixels around the outside. It's a lazy method that I turn into a stylistic choice basically

Then finally I sandwich a 3rd layer between them of colors drawn on Multiply blend mode with a ~30-60% opacity brush:

Through this I get to maintain the cartoony hand-drawn spray-painted look while also getting the benefits of precise digital coloring

There's obviously a lot of room to optimize the process and color more and use slightly more refined edges to mimic spraypaint etc but the end result is then being able to do things like graffiti from quarantine:

And it feels pretty cool to see my tiny 2.5"x2.5" doodle blown up and put on a wall :cool:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 17, 2020

deep dish peat moss

Here's another cool thing you can do with a scan or photograph of a drawing

Step 1: Draw line art with whatever pencil or pen you have and then scan it or take a photo of it. Take the scan/photo and set the saturation to 0% and ramp up the contrast pretty high and you get nice line art

Then just be lazy again and magic wand select the background and delete it

Next step: Magic wand select the white and transparent areas then do select -> inverse. This is the lazy way to eliminate aliasing issues and make the lines a little more solid and inky. Use a brush to draw everything in one color to get solid line art, then start using other colors to distinguish outlines between different things, keeping your current selection the entire time so you don't color outside the lines

Next, create a layer behind the line art and fill each section in with a lighter color. BIG ART TIP FOR NEWBIES: Don't just fill a section with a brighter/darker version of the same color. To fill in the brown rocks I mixed in some yellow. I also mixed in some yellow with the green in the plans. For the buildings I shifted the blue toward purple

Then to add in some special effects I select the white and move it to its own layer on the top, then create a 25% opacity layer beneath it and add some glass color to the dome that you might not see in my post yet because it's very similar to byob background colors

Next take a photo from the NASA astronomy photo of the day

And as a final step look up the NASA Image Use Policy to make sure the image can be used for commercial purposes :thumbsup: then shamelessly participate in capitalism by selling it as a t-shirt and collect those internet dollars

And insert a SEO-friendly link:
'Are you there, Saturn? We need a new home.' T-Shirt by @bleaksploitation

Total time start to finish: 1 hour and 12 minutes, including time spent cuddling with a cat, but not including time spent on the original drawing in the first place, I drew it months ago it's part of this:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 18, 2020

deep dish peat moss

I've been working on coloring this digitally so I can use it as a wallpaper or something. It's not done yet because this is a lot slower than I thought!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2020

deep dish peat moss

I'm used to pretty much only coloring things in flat shades with actual acrylic or pen or whatever, and I also have never mixed traditional scanned drawing with adding additional detail in photoshop while coloring so I'm just trying new things here

From this scanned pen drawing:

Even just all of that has been a ton of work I am really not looking forward to shading the clouds in particular

deep dish peat moss

I'm not sure yet how I feel about this method for the clouds:

I used a very low flow rate airbrush to paint shadows and highlights on them, then on another layer above them I painted a low opacity grey "mist" highlighting them and around their edges. Then I put a lens flare on the layer with the greys to emulate light shining on the tops of the clouds and diffusing throughout them. I think it looks kind of sloppy so maybe I'll re-do it but :effort: But it did at least clearly separate the line art bits like the buildings and vehicles from the clouds.

Maybe have a layer of clouds over the cars on the road and obscuring part of the skyline too

And of course I can still mess with the color, I'm having a real hard time settling on a color for the sky + clouds

Doing it this way has one pretty major benefit, it will let me get very creative with having various lights (windows, headlights, neon signs I'll add to buildings, whatever) that diffuse through the clouds and create neat glow effects that will make the city pop and seem livelier

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 26, 2020

deep dish peat moss

I have the next 8 days off from work, one of the things I want to do is put together a bunch of somewhat generic landscapes that I can use for some unknown project (either a comic book or a video game or something, idk) anyway here's the one I started this afternoon

I'll probably draw different foregrounds and backgrounds and then combine them modularly

I've always sorta wanted to make a CYOA game using Twine or something like that so that's kind of what's on my mind

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 31, 2020

deep dish peat moss

Anyway so the thing I want to make is basically a cosmic horror graphic novel and/or interactive fiction type thing and I need to make it both spookier and livelier

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2020

deep dish peat moss

Sort of. I've been trying to do a kind of volumetric clouds thing with light shining off the moon

I don't really have it where I want it though. Here's a bigger version of where it's at right now

deep dish peat moss

I got a tablet and I've been working on this to figure out how to use it

deep dish peat moss

This is colored pencils instead of tablet but it's v. BYOB I think

deep dish peat moss

Thanks everyone :blush: I got really into colored pencils this month because of that drawing

I drew this as a gift for someone who broke up with me the day I was going to give it to them

Then I went through a burst of productivity as I drew to distract myself and right now I have these all near-finished

deep dish peat moss

Thank you :3: I'm very proud of that one myself, there are like 15 layers of colored pencil separated by fixer so there's a very subtle actual physical depth to it that unfortunately doesn't photograph well

here it is now that I've added stars in:

deep dish peat moss

I invite you to join me in outer space

deep dish peat moss

Jedrick posted:

That camera is v cool. This thread is full of dope creative people. Good job.

I've been taking pictures and down-resing them into CGA colour pallets.

yeahhh that's super rad

deep dish peat moss

I've been trying to draw but I keep going in circles

deep dish peat moss

You'll come a round to the idea

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss

I draw way more than I can reasonably post anywhere, so this year I have barely been posting any art, here are a bunch of sketches/doodles I'm too lazy to post anywhere else what with hashtags and tags and captions and audience engagement and w/e

Terrariums:

Space thigns:

Whatever:

Trees:

This alien:

Or this one:

Or a cyclops witch:

Very realistic people:

drawing with luminance brushes on a black background

Got really high and made a logo for BYOB:

deep dish peat moss

Prof. Crocodile posted:

OK so I have now painted the animals. They need to be cleaned up and glazed, but they are pretty much finished.

i love them and would adopt one

deep dish peat moss

As always I've been drawing landscape after landscape and abandoning them halfway through but at least I am improving all the time. I kind of have a world built in my head that I want to tell a story through, or make my art interactive in some way beyond oh heres just a random picture, but no particular medium or method of doing that is calling out to me so for now I'm just explorin'

Coming soon if I don't get bored of working on this one is some colorful coral and flora and maybe some fishes. I've thought about making instructional videos or something where I go step by step through my methods because I use a lot of weird self-developed methods for doing things that people might find useful :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 12, 2021

deep dish peat moss

okiedoke posted:

Think I'm done with this one, though it never really had any direction from the start. A lot of pouring paint with way too much water cause I like the effect. Really enjoying all the stuff everyone's posted in here.

pixaal posted:

It is a dragon made of lightning

Yeah that's really striking!! I love it

Here's a dump of a bunch of traditional pieces I did over the last ~1.5 years similar to the digital dump earlier on this page but uhh, this is like 1/3 of the art I have lying around and I really need to find some way to organize/present it all

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2021

deep dish peat moss

Sid you have a style of minimalism that's hella cool and very different from most other minimalist artists

deep dish peat moss

Those are both very good and I am jealous of your ability to draw in a way that a magazine would want GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

deep dish peat moss

My secret project I've been working on and off on and will never complete because I never complete anything, is an RPGmaker game sort of like Yume Nikki - there's no combat or leveling up or anything, just walking around exploring weird barren landscapes and interacting with surreal creatures and finding little goofy vignette quests to resolve, and depending on how you resolve them it can open up or block off others.

I'm still really just working on the art and conceptualizing the world but I've at least tossed it all together in rpgmaker to make sure it works

I'm kind of hoping that once I get enough art done I can just hire a bunch of different writers to write short surreal vignette quests, then when you start a quest you get a sort of title card screen for it that introduces it like a tv episode with a title and the author's name displayed, I don't know, since I mostly want to use this as a vehicle to get people to interact with my art on a more granular level I think it would be cool to also use it as a platform to get more exposure for other types of artists/writers, maybe even voice actors if I ever finish it and can hire voice actors :shrug:

But anyway so here's that planet in the screenshot (not even close to done) as one of the included environments, which I wanted to post because I'm diggin' some of the techniques I stumbled across for terrain detail. This is also why I never finish anything because I am constantly trying out new techniques and finding new ways to do things and it makes me abandon everything I was working on before :kiddo:

Oh and also I bought a bunch of secondhand frames and framed some art to... do ??? with? I don't know but it looks better now. I think I'll get a booth at my city's art fair once it's not 120 degrees out and maybe there's less virus.

deep dish peat moss

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Orbs, I haven't drawn a single thing in a year. I think I lost it.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this is a shame because your stuff is great and always worth looking at. but don’t despair. you will get the itch sooner or later.

Yeah I have always really enjoyed your art GSJG and I don't think there's any harm in losing motivation over the last year because wow what a year

deep dish peat moss

I have a dedicated space for art again! I haven't had anywhere to sit and draw for like 8 months

I finished this up which I've been working on for a few weeks

You can't see it much in the photo but the mountain side is covered in strange runes written in gold ink, you can only catch 'em when the light hits it just right

And then since I could sit undisturbed and draw for a while I made this whole thing yesterday w/ a few finishing touches this morning

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 20, 2021

deep dish peat moss

koi-annisqatsi

okiedoke posted:

DDP, your stuff reminds me of radiohead album covers or mural art. I really dig it.

Thank you btw! One of my biggest inspirations/influences is Roger Dean who did Yes's album covers so that's super cool to hear. Album covers are cool. I actually drew something for a goon to use as an album cover but then it was the pandemic and life sucked and I never sent it to them :kiddo: I should do that even though it's probably too late to be an album cover. Here's my daily drawing for yesterday:

and the one I'm working on today:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 23, 2021

deep dish peat moss

I'm on a roll, 3 drawings done in 3 days :cool:

deep dish peat moss

Percy Teatwillow posted:

just sent this bad boy off to the printer, time to try my best to forget about it for two weeks

these colors are great, please post the printed version when you get it!!!

(not part of the same set but it's an older thing I tossed aside and never took good pictures of)

deep dish peat moss

Percy Teatwillow posted:

she arrived today! took it out of the packaging to photograph and sign it, but until it gets picked up i’m keeping it pristine in the box.

the colors look really good!! what kind of printing was it? (I've been looking for the best way to print extremely vivid colors)

BlueDekuNuts posted:

Gonna take this chance to post some art I am really proud of.

the scanline CRT effect is rad!!

deep dish peat moss

I'm working on something that's 4 times the size of my usual pieces (16"x20" instead of 8"10"!!!)

Since I don't have the patience to write a graphic novel (which is what I've always wanted to do) I'm trying to work in some graphic novel type elements into drawings, i.e. in this case the paneling and repeat locations but in future pieces hopefully something along the lines of a visual storyline or somethin'

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm working on something that's 4 times the size of my usual pieces (16"x20" instead of 8"10"!!!)

Since I don't have the patience to write a graphic novel (which is what I've always wanted to do) I'm trying to work in some graphic novel type elements into drawings, i.e. in this case the paneling and repeat locations but in future pieces hopefully something along the lines of a visual storyline or somethin'

ok I finished this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Thanks everyone :blush: I am sticking with the theme but experimenting a little. yesterday I did this 8"x10" with like 99% just regular markers which is a change for me, there are parts I really like but I'm not happy with it overall because I can't not see it as balls and a floppy dong lol, it was intended to be more like a quadripedal animal

So today I'm remixing (demixing?) it into this, just waiting for these new paint pens to be delivered so I can go mask it all in with black acrylic

Part of this that's going to be neat I think is I've really been mashing the markers into the canvas for these parts so there's a bit of texture since it's a mixed media board and it's tearing up a little. But when I go over the white areas with black acrylic and mask it in it will be perfectly smooth, and it's going to make it look like all the landscapes are set back a ways into the drawing (I hope). I'm going to draw little cities in the background with marker/pencil before I do that, and then little silhouettes of cities in the foreground in black acrylic. Traditional art and abstract art are both hard to commercialize so I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull this off as a full-time thing BUT I think this would be a good style for printing en masse and selling to e.g. coffee shops, and it's a much more en vogue style of abstract art right now anyway (making unique patterns out of neat clean shapes) so maybe :pray: But I still have a few months at least to ramp this up before I'm going to have to go back to 9-5 work either way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 12, 2021