Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues

i was looking for the old art dump recently. will post some things when i get home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

So my big project lately has been a modular "paper doll" style document for putting together character portraits. I have a base head + shoulders, then I've slowly been working on a library of eyes, eyebrows, hairstyles, mouths, noses, skin tones, etc, that you can swap in to generate new looks. It's been hard work, but it's coming along really well, and I'm close to finishing the project.

Here are some of the results! These are just illustrative, there are hundreds of possible combinations so far. It is really fun and really rewarding to see how elements drawn in isolation combine in unexpected ways!

Android Blues

Macnult posted:

Nice! I’ve always wanted to try something like this. I can only imagine how long it takes to put it all together - the only thing I can compare it to is drawing different mouths when animating in the past

a while, but not as long as you might think! definitely an ongoing project though - but it's really rewarding because of the multiplicative aspect. every new thing you draw creates a bunch of new "potential" pictures through combining it with previous drawings. so just like sitting down for five minutes and drawing a new nose makes you feel pretty good because one new nose = many potential new faces!

Luvcow posted:

that seems really fun, like making a mii but you can create whatever the hell you want given enough time

it super is! honestly, although i am doing this as part of another project, it is really independently fun for exactly this reason. i ended up channeling the kind of silly/style-divergent Mii aesthetic for some of this, like you can see how that third mouth on the right is more silly and cartoony, because it ended up reminding me so much of Mii creation.

at first i resisted that and tried to keep the style more strictly unified, but then i realised it's actually pretty fun and liberating to make some elements more naturalistic and others more exaggerated, so long as you stick to a few ground rules about palette/position/size.

Android Blues

buy potions! fine potions!!

i'm working on clutter assets and thought this would be a nice place to share progress

Android Blues

pixaal posted:

This is fantastic, res looks a bit low for a full poster but I bet it'd make an amazing mini poster.

thank you so much! funnily enough, everything but the potions and the table are either downscaled or can loop seamlessly, so i could almost do this if i added a few more clouds

i generally don't think of my art as being something i could physically produce in a pleasing fashion so thank you for giving me a cool idea :love:

Android Blues

these are cool. glad you're getting paid!

Android Blues

this is non-visual art but i composed this tonight and i think it sounds pretty nice!

Android Blues

Macnult posted:

i like it! also gotchu on that tumblr follow :cheers:

hooray + thanks! we are now byob mutuals :)

Android Blues

gettin laid off and then quarantine had me art blocked for months, but i finally drew something!

a giant anteater! probably gonna animate them + touch up the lines a bit but this felt really healing to do

Android Blues

this week's drawin!

Android Blues

new art! i wanna do some of these guys with flintlocks too, and maybe a variation with just one sword

Android Blues

extremely dope

Android Blues

new little friends from today

Android Blues

thanks guys! :) i'm really proud of how much my animation has improved over the last couple of years. i wanna move on to larger/more complex characters next (current ambition is to draw a big dragon that's like, 5x the size of those guys) and that will definitely come with new hurdles and pitfalls but i'm excited to tackle em!

Android Blues

lil anteater now has wares to sell you/stories to tell

Android Blues

i wanna put some motion on the snout too but god, that's a whole other day's project haha

Android Blues

that's dope as hell and the music video you were inspired by there RULES and this is an excellent interpretation of it. my god, i love it! so good!

Android Blues

okiedoke posted:

http://imgur.com/a/D4aWvgi

Is it weird to feel like I'm regressing? I don't like how this turned out at all and it wasn't what I """""envisioned"""""". Below is my first attempt that I didn't develope past the initial session.

http://imgur.com/gallery/TSM1qd4

there's a real good infographic i occasionally see floating around that i think nails the feeling of artistic regression, and i can't find it rn but basically the thesis was "as you improve, you become more capable of perceiving the flaws in your style, so the immediate feeling is that your art is worse than before"

then you keep improving, you start to correct the flaws you've noticed, and in the process your skills improve to the point where you start to recognise more flaws, at which point you feel emotionally like you've regressed again. but you haven't regressed - you've just developed a sharp enough eye to quickly spot issues that you might have been blissfully ignorant of when you weren't as good at art.

i dunno. it may or may not apply to you. but i thought it was a smart and generally accurate way of analysing that feeling! for what it's worth, i like your piece :)

Android Blues

animation progress! added a nose wiggle and introducing: the Snooft Knight

okiedoke posted:

Thanks! I get it and have moved on to painting bottles in the meantime to not get discouraged. Appreciate the response, it's difficult to share this stuff online sometimes, we are our own worst critics and all that.

*edit - forgot to post a pic of said bottles. They're these overpriced, small cold brew coffee made by Starbucks. I really like the shape. http://imgur.com/a/nglzQi5

omg the first one especially is GORGEOUS. both great but there's such a brilliant sense of interiority and depth in the brown bottle

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 29, 2020

Android Blues

today's anteater: arikui-hime...the anteater princess...

(the next one's gonna be a wizard, then they're a full adventuring party of anteaters)

Android Blues

today's animation: ice magic!

Android Blues

deep dish peat moss posted:

here's a drawing I've been working on as part of my astral projections during quarantine series

acrylic paint + gel pen + liquid chrome on black paper

Here's a giant 600dpi 66mb scan of it
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUs4LAMQfOlEn_UIAJNhNA37qH3_mL3b/view?usp=sharing

Here's the version I posted 6 days ago in a different thread

I like the buildings more in the old version when they were just plain featureless silhouettes but oh well

wow!!! this is extremely good!!

Android Blues

ANTEATER WIZARD casts PRISM DAGGER!

Android Blues

the art dump is lively again! i love it!

such beautiful art profuses in these halls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

one of the bigger looping backgrounds i've ever done! this is 2x2 so you can see how it loops and creates a second centre at the intersections. maybe still needs some work but i think it looks pretty