Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Picked up my first game in a few years last weekend, and while I'm not good at the game anyways (dynamic in RTTS is keeping me in rookie) I'm having a hard time winning conquest games in three innings, if I win them at all. Does anyone out on the internet have a good guide or two on how to approach batting and pitching against the AI? My team is new and in the 70s, so I could improve there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
So are there tells I should be watching out for? I've been playing assuming that the AI pitches are random, and not tied to any situation or pitcher, guessing high pitches until I get one, and trying to swing for home runs since I can't seem to get enough hits in a row to reliably play small ball.

I'd almost believe someone if they said conquest was rigged after my last game on rookie difficulty. For the first time I actually managed to string together enough to be up by 5 at the middle of the 2nd, and figuring that was enough to win a rookie match I pitched like I always do, and gave up 5 runs in the bottom of the inning. I went through three pitchers that inning in the high 70s who couldn't get any strikeouts to save their lives until after the game was tied, then miraculously I got outs. I've never given up more than two runs an inning in any conquest game before this one.

Not unrelated: Are the disconnect/quit ritual cards useful for anything?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I don't seriously think the game is rigged, just thought it was ironic that I gave up 5 runs for the first time after getting five runs for the first time.

Things seem to be going better, I was already waiting on the first pitch but I've stopped using pitch prediction outside of looking for a fastball up on the first pitch. I'm still getting fooled by sliders on the outside, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually. Changing difficulty to veteran and All Star also isn't causing problems like I expected which is weird, I actually won my first AS game and might just keep playing on that difficulty for the conquest bonuses.

I'm sure once I build up a decent card team that'll help as well. Any tips on making a cheap team with the ~10k I have now?

Also, it seems like it's easier to hit home runs on the veteran and higher Moments, any tips on trying to get the rookie HR moments out if the way? I'm using directional hitting and power hitting my way through the solo HR moments, but the back to back ones seem impossible without wasting a few hours.