Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Glad to get in on the ground floor of this. Totally unspoiled, so I can't wait to see how this goes if the other 2 are tame by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I played this game so drat much when it released, I just couldn't put it down. Best in the series imo. Looking forward to the lp.

Zytix
Aug 17, 2013
The music in this game is extremely good, excited for this lp.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This is gonna be fun, having followed the series but never played the games I know the rough outline but nothing specific so I’m gonna be semi-blind. Admittedly I also won’t post much true blind reactions because I do know the direction this games goes and I have opinions with an o.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I love how this anime-style anonymization always makes it look like the criminals were committing their crime stark naked.

Here is another pretty much unspoiled person, by the way; the few scraps I've seen about specific characters from this game were enough to pique my interest. I followed Orenronen's LPs of the first two games back in the early days of our era, and it's very promising to hear that this game actually develops the style and themes even further.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Come one, come all, and witness the latest in killing game entertainment: Danganronpa V3!

I am Solitair, and I'll be your host this evening.

Without further ado, let's kill Fifth Harmony.

MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

I stumbled out of the locker in a daze. But as soon as I did... ...I fell on the floor.

Ahh!?

I couldn't even brace for impact as blinding pain suddenly rushed through my head.

But thanks to that pain, I went from dazed to annoyed real quick.

...Huh? Wait, where am I? What is this place?

l rubbed my throbbing forehead. Yep, this is definitely going to leave a bump... I looked around.

MUSIC: Nightmare in the Locker

AUDIO: Invitation to Despair

Yeah, this is a classroom alright. But...l don't recognize it.

Where am I...? What am I doing here...?

So I pinched my cheek...

...but all that did was make my head hurt in two places instead of one.

Ummm... Okay, hold on a sec. Let's just stay calm and think this through.

Confused as I was, I tried to remember how I ended up here. But no matter how hard I tried, in the end I just couldn't—

Whoa!!!

Suddenly, the locker next to mine started swaying and shaking, making all kinds of noise.

Hnnng...

A normal boy dressed in a school uniform... In fact, he might be a high school student, too.

Ah, sorry...

I'm sorry too, okay? I just have no idea what's going on...

But...all the more reason why we need to stay calm. Oh! "Gymnopédie No. 1" by Erik Satie.

Try to imagine that sorrowful melody filling your head and soothing your heart—

MUSIC: Rise and Shine, Ursine!

Trivia time! All of the Monokubs are voiced in Japanese by Koichi Yamadera, who's been in a shitload of stuff, a good chunk of which is dubs of Western-made cartoons. He dubbed Donkey from Shrek, and also Stitch, Beast, Sebastian, Donald Duck and Mushu from Kingdom Hearts and its various spinoff movies. Meanwhile in Japanese properties, he voiced Beerus and Tien from the Dragon Ball franchise, Togusa from Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Kaji from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Inspector Zenigata from several incarnations of Lupin III.

eating only apples posted:

Haha, the Monokubs are Akiyama from the Yakuza series.

Following with interest.

Aaaaaahhh!!!

A teddy bear...?

N-No, it's a monster! You can freak out about this!

Although, if we are monsters, at least we're pretty monsters.

I agree. I'm glad I was born with these looks. I definitely won the genetic lottery.

Wh-What are they? Why are they talking? Aren't they just...stuffed animals?

We're not Monokubs! We're the stuffed animals!

No stuffed animals, us! The Monokubs, them!

Oh geez, it's even worse now...

...Huh? Monokubs?

Oh! You've heard of us!?

N-No, of course not! I've never seen walking, talking stuffed animals!

As soon as I said that, these Monokub things started looking at each other and...

H—Hey, worried about what? I don't understand what's going on.

Alright now, let's tackle each issue one at a time!

You're so drat reliable, Monotaro!

He's like a sixth-grader helpin' out a fifth-grader!

Which means we should keep our expectations reasonable.

Well? What's your question?

I have loads of questions, but for starters... Where are we? This...looks like a school...

Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles?

Ultimate Academy? I've never heard of a school like that...

Of course you haven't. This school was made for you sixteen cretins.

Sixteen...?

...Huh? Ultimates!?

You know what Ultimates are, right? The government scouts 'em through this program called the Ultimate Initiative.

"Ultimate" basically means you're particularly prodigious in a particular talent.

Basically, the Ultimate Initiative exists to cultivate talent throughout the country... Promising students are eligible to receive all kinds of special handouts!

Like free school tuition, voting privileges, eligibility to run for elected office... They even get grant money too, right?

Students chosen by the Ultimate Initiative are known as Ultimates.

Hell yeah! Students would do anything for the honor of bein' a chosen Ultimate!

That means you gotta remember this time. So don't forget anymore.

Yeah! Forgetting about your Ultimate talent is such a waste.

Huh? What do you mean, "forgetting"?

Shut up! Quit your yappin' and get started already!

Get started...with what?

Why, exploring this academy, of course.

Also...you should introduce yourselves to the other Ultimates.

Awesome! I've got a rager right now! Well then...

One of Monokid's sound bites is him saying "Got a rock hard rager!"

NO MUSIC

And they're gone.

This...isn't a dream, right?

No, but I wish it was...

But...they said there are sixteen Ultimate students here... Does that mean...he's one, too?

NEW MUSIC: Beautiful Lie

Time to investigate again. We can smack stuff and look at other stuff, but we'll just get the same thoughts Kaede had last time.

With one major difference.

Y-Yeah... Well, then...

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Shuichi Saihara

Shuichi is played by Grant George in English and Megumi Hayashibara in Japanese. You might recognize George as Sanageyama from Kill la Kill, Gilgamesh from Fate/stay night, Shinjiro and Jin from Persona 3, the original performance of Cid from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and Leon Kuwata from Danganronpa. You might also recognize Hayashibara as Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Jessie from Pokemon, young Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Shantotto from Dissidia Final Fantasy.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Megumi Hayashibara also plays Ai Haibara from Detective Conan, which is probably why they got her for the Ultimate Detective role.

What? You're a detective? That's amazing!

Ah, no...I don't have the credentials to call myself a detective yet. I just...happened to solve a case that I came across and...now people call me that.

Not many people can "just happen" to solve a case. You should be more proud of that.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Kaede Akamatsu

What is that color scheme, girl? Anyway, Kaede is played by Erika Harlacher in English and Sayaka Kanda in Japanese. You might recognize Harlacher as Yumeko from Kakegurui, Videl from Dragon Ball Super, Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter, Ann Takamaki from Persona 5, and Kyoko Kirigiri from Danganronpa. Kanda is more of a singer than a voice actor; the closest things I can find to noteworthy performances as an actor are Yuna from the Sword Art Online movie and Anna from Frozen, both of whom sing in their respective movies. She did, however, perform as Junko and Mukuro in the stage plays for Danganronpa 1, 2 and 3, and sang the opening and ending themes of Danganronpa 3: Side Future.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Sayaka Kanda did an interview before DRV3 was released as part of the marketing/hype for it; she's a big fan of the series generally and Junko especially, iirc.

Ultimate...Pianist...

Well, no one calls me the Ultimate Pianist. Usually just Piano Freak.

AUDIO: Kaede's Story

"I was born with a full head of hair!"

KAEDE: No. That's all I'm good for, really.

Well, Ultimates are scattered all over the country. They're difficult to find.

Even so, there are sixteen Ultimate students gathered here now. But why is everyone here? Were we kidnapped?

If so, then...is some organization out there trying to kidnap all the Ultimates?

Ah...about that... I...don't remember.

Huh? You don't remember?

I've been trying to remember it, but I can't...no matter how hard I try. I have no idea how I got here... When I woke up, I was in that locker. I...don't know how I got there... It's like...that memory just fell out of my head—

...Huh?

I can't remember anything... Even though I'm trying so hard to remember—

NO MUSIC

MUSIC: Beautiful Lie

Ah, are you okay? What's wrong?

Oh...l'm fine. I just got a headache...that's all.

...It can't be coincidence that we *both* don't remember. What happened to us...?

I—I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Probably not a big deal.

We're confused. We just need to relax, is all. Oh! Let's imagine Maurice Ravel's "Sonatine"...

Is that...music? I-I...don't really know much about music...

I see... That's unfortunate. When we get outta here, I'll share it with you...

But first, let's look for a way out. And if there are other Ultimate students here, we should talk to them, too. At least one of them has got to know something.

...Yeah, good idea.

These work the same as Hope Fragments from DR2. We'll put them to use later.

You can talk to most students again after their introduction. For instance, Shuichi will say this:

What is going on...? I hope...*someone* here knows...

We'll be fine, so don't look so down. Everything will make sense soon.

Y-Yeah...

Might as well leave now.

And the air here is heavy...

Oppressively heavy, as if forcing you to recall your fears, smothering you in anxiety...

But this is just a school...right? What kind of school makes you feel like this?

Pfffhahahahahaha! Good one, Kaede.

What's the matter?

Ah, I just...felt something in the pocket of my uniform. When I looked...

Oh, maybe I have one too! I knew my backpack felt heavier!

When did this get in my backpack?

My name was displayed when it booted up. Like a student handbook. I...don't know what it could be used for, but I don't think we should throw it away. Let's just...hold on to them for now.

Yeah, I agree.

Press the SQUARE button to open the Monopad. It's got tons of game information in it.
Stuff like the Report Card and Map. Be sure to check it out!
And if you've got a sharp eye, you may have already noticed...
By getting closer to your fellow students, your Report Card will be updated with content.
Since you are now acquaintances with Mr. Saihara, his info has already been added.
And I bet you've also already noticed you can level up by performing actions.
When you level up, your skill slots increase, so you can equip even more skills.
There are a lot of skills, so view them in the Report Card!
If you want skills, make friends! Strengthen your bonds!
Be sure to test out all the skills!
Also...there's one more important thing to tell you.
You can save and load the game from the handbook.
Make sure you save all the important stuff.
Well then! Off you go! Find your classmates!

Here's the menu, complete with Kaede's clashing colors. Let's just check out the map for now.

There's not much on the second floor, just a couple other rooms and this girl over here. We just came out of Classroom B...

...and Classroom C is currently locked.

But what about this one?

Same deal.

Huh... It won't open. But this room does look like it was made for me...

MUSIC: Rise and Shine, Ursine!

Rise and shine, ursine!

We heard you the first time.

Ah! They're here again!

Whaddaya think this place is?

Check out all this fancy-shmancy writing! Seems like a place for eggheads!

Huh? Isn't this an Ultimate Research Lab?

What the hell? Why would you tell them? We were tryin' to make it all dramatic.

Huh? What's an Ultimate Research Lab?

This is the Ultimate Pianist's lab, but we set up labs for the other Ultimates too, of course.

Most of 'em are still hidden, though!

By the way...the reason this research lab is still locked is...

Is...?

Just wipe your asses and wait!

This line is actually voiced. It and all of Monokid's other lines come courtesy of Patrick Seitz. He also voiced a bunch of other big manly men-men, including Dio from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gamagoori from Kill la Kill, Grimmer from Monster, JP from Redline and Nekomaru Nidai from Danganronpa 2.

That's good advice and all, but...don't you mean to say, "hold your horses"?

Puhuhu... Monokid is such a dummy.

It seems like the music room......but I guess it's an Ultimate lab.

Do you think...there really are other rooms like this? For everyone?

I wonder about that too...

Anyway...I thought this was the music room. Aw, I really wanted to play the piano...

Oh well. I can play as much piano as I want when I finally escape this place.

Closer to the stairs, we have this objet d'art.

It looks like...a dragon statue.

But why is there a dragon statue in the school's hallway?

I-I have no idea...

Hmm... Maybe it's part of the school's official art collection or something?

Still, no idea...

Last but not least, a new friend.

Hey, you're an Ultimate student, right? Can we talk—

Ummmm...

Hm? Did she not hear me? Okay, then...

Heeey! Hellooooo!

Ummmmmm...

What? She still can't hear me? Maybe she's a really detailed mannequin?

...No, I don't think that's the case...

You never know. We already saw a moving teddy bear.

...and felt her skin squish beneath my fingertip.

Umm...

Poking her doesn't work either? Then...maybe she is just a doll. But she looks so real! Try it, Shuichi! Poke, poke!

Ah, no thanks...

Just do it! It's so fun!

I never thought I'd be poked from both sides. How truly unexpected.

Ah!

So she wasn't a mannequin. Well, I knew that.

If you knew that, why did you make me poke her?

Because she wasn't responding.

Oh, I didn't mean any harm... I was just deep in thought. So I thought if I ignored you, you'd go somewhere else.

You were ignoring us? Isn't that a bit rude?

Umm, well isn't it rude to force someone to talk when they don't want to? Oh, but it's fine. I feel like talking now.

Now, let's talk. What do you want to start with?

Um, before you talk about that... Can you tell us your name?

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Tsumugi Shirogane

Tsumugi is voiced by Dorothy Elias-Fahn in English and Mikako Komatsu in Japanese. Elias-Fahn played Meryl in Trigun, Kaoru in Rurouni Kenshin, Fujiko Mine in Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, Maya in Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Sayaka Maizono and Chihiro Fujisaki in Danganronpa. I don't recognize much of Komatsu's work, except as the short, blonde girl in Pop Team Epic and Linkle in Hyrule Warriors.

AweStriker posted:

Pop Team Epic barely counts for voice roles. Both Popuko (short and blonde) and Pipimi (tall and blue) were voiced by different people every episode.

I looked through Mikako Komatsu's filmography myself and turns out she voiced Sei Iori, main character of the original Gundam Build Fighters, though! Also Rose in Tales of Zestiria and Joey, the main character of Heroman.

Are you...surprised? I get that a lot, since I'm so plain.

I mean, it sorta makes sense. You have this strange, almost sexy aura about you.

I bet it's because you've got people ogling all your curves on a daily basis, huh?

Kaede...you sound like a creepy old man...

Normally, I don't really like people looking at me like that...

I just like making cosplay. I'm fine with others wearing them...

Wow...you're pretty intense.

It makes me happy when I get to show people the outfits I've made. And thanks to my sponsors, I can use materials that are just plain expensive.

Ohhh! Well, of course the Ultimate Cosplayer would have sponsors!

It's not a big deal. People just crowd around like I'm a panda at the zoo.

That's so amazing... You're pretty much a celebrity, you know?

Ah, is it alright if I ask you something too? Earlier...you looked as if you were thinking hard about something. What was it?

Oh, yeah! We needed to ask her that! Nice job, Shuichi!

Ah...that bronze dragon statue over there. I'm just plain curious about it.

It almost seems like it's floating, right? Doesn't it look pretty out of place?

Now that you mention it...you're right. It sorta bothers me, too.

This is a school, right? But everything here is so weird, isn't it? There's trees and grass growing inside, I can't find any exits... And it seems like we're the only people here...

Are we...going to be okay? Are we going to be able to get out?

Kaede? What's wrong?

Hehe, that frightened look on her face was sorta sexy.

...This again?

I'm just kidding... Well, it's not a big deal. Our present situation is our main concern. Once it's over, we'll be good and dandy.

You're...pretty optimistic, Kaede.

Well, people do say I'm carefree!

Worrying won't get you anywhere, you know. It's better to just be carefree.

Yeah...I guess so. Being all depressed won't help anything.

Yeah. So, let's try to find a way out.

Yeah, being depressed won't help anything...

It's plain to see the next con is coming up!

*sigh*...That's right. What am I gonna do if I don't finish my outfit in time?

And that's it for now. Next time, we start exploring the first floor.

REPORT CARDS

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 5, 2023

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Megumi Hayashibara also plays Ai Haibara from Detective Conan, which is probably why they got her for the Ultimate Detective role. Sayaka Kanda did an interview before DRV3 was released as part of the marketing/hype for it; she's a big fan of the series generally and Junko especially, iirc.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Danganronpa's music has always been pretty good, but it seriously developed over the course of the trilogy and v3 is packed full of gems, of which this is extremely one. It's one of my favourite ambient BGMs in the whole series.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Nice that this game actually adds the protagonist among the interesting characters (let's just gloss over the small issue that her entire personality might just be a simulacrum implanted into her mind by the Monokubs). In retrospect it's a bit jarring that a game as dedicated to wild weirdness as the first Danganronpa still felt the need to do the standard anime/VN thing of having a blank-slate protagonist who just acts as a straight man for everyone else's quirks; I'm glad to see that right off the bat Kaede is shown to be not a blank slate, not a man and probably not straight.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 30, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kaede is definitely the best DR protagonist. :hai:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

She's thirsty as gently caress and I respect her for that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Danganronpa's music has always been pretty good, but it seriously developed over the course of the trilogy and v3 is packed full of gems, of which this is extremely one. It's one of my favourite ambient BGMs in the whole series.

Yeah, I never appreciated it all that much while playing the game since as the general exploring theme it gets played all the time, but it's really good and sticks with you.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Pop Team Epic barely counts for voice roles. Both Popuko (short and blonde) and Pipimi (tall and blue) were voiced by different people every episode.

I looked through Mikako Komatsu's filmography myself and turns out she voiced Sei Iori, main character of the original Gundam Build Fighters, though! Also Rose in Tales of Zestiria and Joey, the main character of Heroman.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Thanks for helping me out with the voice actor stuff. I don't make a habit of following their careers, and I have no idea what roles are major or what people here will recognize. I'll edit it all in later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ibblebibble posted:

She's thirsty as gently caress and I respect her for that.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

One update in and Kaede already wins over the audience. She's a much more fun protagonist than Makoto. Hajime is kind of a different case, he definitely had a personality in the prologue but was extremely cynical and somewhat sarcastic. Kaede is just a bundle of joy.

Komaru counts as a protagonist too of course but the insane differences in the intro to their games makes it hard to compare.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Haha, the Monokubs are Akiyama from the Yakuza series.

Following with interest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
For a second I thought I was reading the same update again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For a second I thought I was reading the same update again.

What same update? :tinfoil:

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Good god that drum beat is so loving good. It's a great sign when the day-to-day songs are absolute bops.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.

Fedule posted:

Yes, this song plays a lot during the game and I never tired of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reading out in this format is the first time I have noticed Tsumugi's habit of stating stuff is plain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reading out in this format is the first time I have noticed Tsumugi's habit of stating stuff is plain.

It's plain to see!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Don't mind me, just editing my old post.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

SoundwaveAU posted:

One update in and Kaede already wins over the audience. She's a much more fun protagonist than Makoto. Hajime is kind of a different case, he definitely had a personality in the prologue but was extremely cynical and somewhat sarcastic. Kaede is just a bundle of joy.

Komaru counts as a protagonist too of course but the insane differences in the intro to their games makes it hard to compare.

I actually really liked Hajime for his cynical and sardonic personality. Makoto was very, very bland and I didn't really like him, so Hajime was a breath of fresh air. Kaede... I dunno, she seems to have maybe a little too MUCH personality? I mean that in the way of that she seems like she's trying to be more interesting than she is, so she says and does things that are very attention grabbing, rather than actually feeling like saying/doing them because of how she really is. I know that sounds confusing as heck, I'm never very good at explaining myself. Maybe I'm wrong about her and I'll see later, but for now I'm striking up her very... Colorful personality as attention seeking.

Also: Don't molest the cosplayers, Kaede.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mecha_Face posted:

I actually really liked Hajime for his cynical and sardonic personality. Makoto was very, very bland and I didn't really like him, so Hajime was a breath of fresh air. Kaede... I dunno, she seems to have maybe a little too MUCH personality? I mean that in the way of that she seems like she's trying to be more interesting than she is, so she says and does things that are very attention grabbing, rather than actually feeling like saying/doing them because of how she really is. I know that sounds confusing as heck, I'm never very good at explaining myself. Maybe I'm wrong about her and I'll see later, but for now I'm striking up her very... Colorful personality as attention seeking.

I liked Hajime a lot too :3:

And I think I get what you're getting at, but it's still early, maybe Kaede is just super awkward about trying to get to know new people and tries too hard? In any case, it's nice to see that once again the protagonist will be very different from the ones before.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I am fully not prepared for the level of WTF this game is ready to throw, but strapping in anyway.

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017
So glad I was able to get on the ground floor of this! Have played, but will follow and make jokes.
Speaking of which, Kaede is Ultimate Slapper.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

And I think I get what you're getting at, but it's still early, maybe Kaede is just super awkward about trying to get to know new people and tries too hard? In any case, it's nice to see that once again the protagonist will be very different from the ones before.

I think the main reason is that without her memories of her school days (if they’re even real), she seems withdrawn and underconfident, and even with them she has a tendency to downplay her accomplishments. It gives the impression of someone who would rather not be in the spotlight, and then suddenly she’s acting hyperactive.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

In contrast to the second floor, the first is so big we won't be getting to all of it today. Before we meet new people, let's take a closer look at that northeast hallway.

It's separated from the rest of the first floor by a gate that's definitely always been here.

This door in the south wall looks important, but it won't open just yet.

Hm? What's the matter, Shuichi?

Ah, it's nothing... I just..feel strange...

Strange? How so?

We might be...caught up in something even stranger than we imagined.

W-Well, it's natural to feel unsettled when we know so little about what's going on...

But we'll probably be fine.

...What makes you say that?

Because we have sixteen Ultimate students on our side! As long as we work together as friends, I just know nothing bad will happen!

Friends...? ...

You might not notice, but there are little personalized lockers right next to the door, one side for boys and the other for girls. With my luck you guys can't actually read the names on them, but trust me on this.

We can't help but notice this coming back.

I don't know... There's an indent in the middle. I wonder what that is.

This place seriously has a lot of weird stuff.

Moving on to the west wing.

Well, you both look alright. That's good.

Situation could be better, though.

Yeah...totally.

Hey, let me ask you something... Do you guys remember how you got here?

If you're asking us, then...you don't remember either, do you?

Ha, you're the same way too, huh? You don't remember anything, do you? I guess that means everyone here's the same.

Huh? Everyone?

I asked the others too. They all said they don't remember.

It's like...we all have amnesia or something.

Ah, but that's...not normal. If everyone here has amnesia—

NO MUSIC

...What?

Wait...amnesia's a stretch. We're probably just confused...l'm sure we'll remember eventually.

Or it could be group hypnosis, maybe brainwashing...

NO MUSIC

In any case... I hope we remember soon.

Otherwise...I'll end up the outcast.

The outcast...? What do you mean?

I also forgot...my own talent.

What?

Phew, I'm in trouble. I know I must have been some kind of Ultimate... I just don't remember.

You sure about that?

Is that true...?

'Course it is. But then again, I don't blame you for not believing me.

Oh...I never told you my name, did I? It's not like...I already told you, but then I forgot I did, right?

No, you haven't told me your name yet.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Rantaro Amami

I can't remember my Ultimate talent at the moment... But I promise, I'm not a bad guy. Nice to meet ya.

Rantaro is voiced in English by Johnny Yong Bosch, who rose from humble beginnings as the second Black Ranger in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers to become one of the most well-known voice actors of our time. Some of his most prominent roles include Jonathan Joestar in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, Lelouch in Code Geass, Izaya Orihara in Durarara, Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, and Hajime Hinata in Danganronpa 2. In Japanese, he's played by Hikaru Midorikawa, who also played Sakamoto in Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Heero Yuy in Gundam Wing, Akihiko Sanada in Persona 3, Soma Cruz in Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, and Tien and Android 16 in Dragon Ball Z, Kai and Super.

For someone who can't remember his talent, he doesn't seem too shaken up about it...

...Is it weird? That I'm not really bothered by the fact that I don't remember my talent?

What?

You know, I'm actually kinda looking forward to finding out. I wonder what Ultimate I am...

Anyway, it'd be nice if we could get along. We aren't going anywhere for a while.

Huh? What do you mean...?

Nothin'. Just a feeling.

Haha, hey, don't worry about it, alright?

I thought he would be a pretty chill guy to talk to, but... ...I have no idea what's going through his head right now.

This is the school store, where you can spend your Monocoins. Not yet, though. How about the dining hall?

NEW MUSIC: Cool Morning

A dining hall definitely makes this place feel more like a school... But this place is called the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles... I doubt it's anything like a typical school.

In the demo, we went into the kitchen to retrieve some evidence. However, in the full game, we don't have the ability to enter it, nor will we ever have a reason to.

"Dining Hall Rules"
"You may eat any food you find in the dining hall."
"Please take responsibility for all utensils and dishes used and clean up after yourself."
"The dining hall will be locked during nighttime."

Nighttime? So it's closed at...night?

Don't tell me all the exits are blocked...

Could that mean...this has been abandoned for a long time?

NEW MUSIC: Finding Peace Party

H-Huh?

I'm yelling so I can build up my spirit energy! Don't you know you can unlock your brain's full potential by yelling to build up spirit energy!?

Ah, I've heard that pro athletes do that. It's supposed to help you focus...

I must be prepared for combat at all times, just in case someone tries to attack me! I will protect myself with Neo-Aikido!

Aikido...? Then, you're—

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Tenko Chabashira

Tenko is played in English by Julie Ann Taylor, who also played Emil in Nier and Nier Automata, Karol Capel in Tales of Vesperia, Souseiseki in Rozen Maiden, Ai Tanabe in Planetes, and Ibuki Mioda in Danganronpa 2. In Japanese, she's played by Sora Tokui, who also played Nico Yazawa in Love Live, and not much else.

Ooohh! I always imagine Aikido masters to be huge, burly guys, but you're so cute!

C-Cute!?

Aaaahhh... St-Stop iiit... I...I-I'm not...cute... My face crinkles when I suck down a shake... And when I wipe my face, my eyelids turn inside-out.

U-Um, I see... But I think you're cute. Right, Shuichi?

...Huh? Oh...right.

Wh—What's the matter? Your face looks really intense now!

I don't like to be praised by degenerate males.

Oh, that's an unfortunate choice of words. I hope that isn't a habit of hers. It is.

Degenerate males? You mean men? Are you...uncomfortable around them?

It's a way bigger problem than just being uncomfortable. If any degenerate tries to touch me, my reflex is to grab them and throw them across the room.

You're right... That is a way bigger problem than just being uncomfortable around men.

Ah, by the way...what is this Neo-Aikido you mentioned?

Neo—Aikido is an original form of aikido that my master and I completely made up ourselves!

So...your aikido is all self-taught.

NO MUSIC

MUSIC: Cool Morning

HAAAAIYAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

HRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!!!!!

Geez, she's so loud... Shuichi, do you have any glue on you?

Ah, I know what you're thinking... but we probably shouldn't.

Yeah...that's what it looks like...

But don't be scared, I'm sure we'll be out of this place in a jiffy!

I'm...not scared. It's just a pain. Something like this won't make me panic. Cuz...I'm a mage.

A mage?

Hm...that's right. I haven't told you guys yet.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Himiko Yumeno

Himiko is voiced in English by Christine Marie Cabanos, who also voiced Mako in Kill la Kill, Azusa Nakano in K-On!, Madoka in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Sailor Saturn in Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal, and Chiaki Nanami in Danganronpa 2. In Japanese, she's voiced by Aimi Tanaka, best known as Umaru from Himouto! Umaru-chan, the bane of the Thunderdome thread.

Ohh, so you're a magician. You should've said that from the start.

I mean, it makes sense though. Since magic doesn't exist.

... Nyeeeh...magic does exist.

Huh?

Because...I am a mage.

You're just a magician, right?

Only on paper...

I'm known as a magician, but that's just a ruse. I am actually...a mage.

J—Just a ruse...?

Also known as the Hall of Magicians, it's where the world's magic lovers gather.

l was the youngest person to ever win their Magician of the Year award.

That's pretty cool.

They're keeping my magic a secret by disguising it as tricks. Because of this ruse, I became famous all over the world for performing tricks.

But...*sniffle*...I'm not a magician... I'm a mage... Nobody believes me...

There, there, don't be sad...

W-Well, you could show us your magic. Then we would believe you...

Oh, that's right! Help us out with your magic! Take us back to when we originally—

Magic isn't all-powerful... I can only do so much.

I-I see... Then...what can you do?

I can choose the card you picked, pull out coins, and release doves.

Those are just ordinary magic tricks!

Nyeeeh... This is such a pain... Someone find the exit for me already...

So she doesn't wanna try to find it herself...

Lots of stuff to slap here, and also to take a look at.

I didn't expect to see professional equipment like this here.

We saw a conspicuous girl rummaging through a shelf filled with different chemicals...

Hey, what are you looking for?

Don't sneak up on me, bitch!

I literally just met you...and you've already called me a bitch...

H-Hey, I'm sorry if we surprised you, but you shouldn't talk to Kaede like—

Hey crotchrot, you starin' at my tits?

What!?

:stare:

Go on, get yourself a good eyeful!

N-No, I wasn't staring! My eyes just happened to look there...

"Ohh, my eyes just happened to look there..." "Ohh, my hand just happened to grope her...‘I

Hah-haha! I can identify pervs on sight, and you are *definitely* a fuckin' perv! That's why you wear that hat, right? To hide your skeevy eyes? And that's why you wear those pants, right? To hide your nasty crotch?

Everyone wears pants, though...

Hah-haha! Everyone knows that only pervs wear hats!

The soundbite of her laugh is the :smug:est thing ever and I love it.

Stop it...

Leave me alone! I can wear a hat if I want to!!!

Wh—What the hell...are you gettin' pissed off at me for? T-Tell the world you're sorry! If you startle me into losing motivation, that loss will be felt across the whole world!

Hey, your vulgar language is uncalled for! Just who are you, anyway?

Huh? S-Seriously? You don't...know who I am?

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Miu Iruma

Miu is voiced in English by Wendee Lee, who you may recognize as Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Clover from 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, Bulma from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Super, and Akane Owari from Danganronpa 2. In Japanese, she's voiced by Haruka Ishida, a former member of the idol group AKB48 who played Chihiro Fujisaki in the Danganronpa stage play.

Um... I've never heard of you.

So...what kind of things do you invent?

I make all kinds of gadgets—ones that let you type while you sleep, read while you sleep... Even ones that let you eat while you sleep.

Why does everything involve sleeping?

I was inspired after I realized how much time people waste on sleep.

Though, this one time I invented these really stupid eyedrop contact lenses as a gag.

Wait, really? That's your invention? Some of my friends wear them!

It doesn't make you more productive while you sleep, so it was a failure! Just like you two! I signed the patent rights over to some company and never looked back.

That seems like a waste... It's way better than your do-stuff-while-sleeping inventions...

By the way, what were you looking for earlier? You sounded pretty desperate to find it.

Eh? Are you a dumbass? In a situation like this, I gotta find some meds!

Medicine? Are you hurt or feeling sick?

Wait... Whaaaaaat!? You can't use drugs to get high! You definitely shouldn't do that!

Heeee!

Wh-What the hell...? My genius can't be constrained by the wisdom of the masses... Besides...this place probably doesn't even have the poo poo I need to get loosey-goosey...

S-So...are we cool...? Are you...done being mad at me?

They say there's a fine line between genius and insanity, but she's...definitely beyond insane.

What's up with Shuichi? He's been quiet ever since Miu mentioned his hat... Does he not like to talk about it?

Eh!? Leave me alone! I'm busy!

Alright, that's a pretty good time to stop. Next time, the rest of the building.

REPORT CARDS

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 5, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Miu is a fun character. She's just so drat unpleasant you can't help but laugh.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Solitair posted:

Could that mean...this has been abandoned for a long time?

The Ultimate Detective at work.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Miu is the best, and deserves to have all of the drugs.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tenko is 200% a victim of mediocre localisation. I forget exactly what her original characteristic phrase for men was (it was explained to me once; I remember that it's a kanji pun because of course it is... I want to say she uses a word that just means "man" but with a kanji that means "death" or something), but someone obviously translated one of her lines using "degenerate male" in a context that worked and decided to use that phrase verbatim every time she says the thing.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fedule posted:

Tenko is 200% a victim of mediocre localisation. I forget exactly what her original characteristic phrase for men was (it was explained to me once; I remember that it's a kanji pun because of course it is... I want to say she uses a word that just means "man" but with a kanji that means "death" or something), but someone obviously translated one of her lines using "degenerate male" in a context that worked and decided to use that phrase verbatim every time she says the thing.

it was 男死 a pun on 男子

edit: to elaborate, you're right about the kanji pun. it sounds exactly like the word for "boys" (danshi) but with the shi replaced w the kanji for death

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Fedule posted:

Yeah, when I said that I had no complaints with the dub, I forgot about this part, which singlehandedly turned Tenko into my least favorite character.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when i played the first chapter in jpn i was already wondering how they would translate the danshi thing. i acknowledge that it's difficult to adapt, but i was not expecting something so wildly out there, since in-universe nobody can even hear the difference (i think? as far as i know, when the characters react to her, theyre just reacting to her slandering men, not the term itself). idk how i would do it, but not like that. the translation of this game is generally the best in the series, but some localization decisions like "degenerate male" (and A CERTAIN CHARACTER'S SPEECH STYLE) stand out as really bad.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

onsetOutsider posted:

when i played the first chapter in jpn i was already wondering how they would translate the danshi thing. i acknowledge that it's difficult to adapt, but i was not expecting something so wildly out there, since in-universe nobody can even hear the difference (i think? as far as i know, when the characters react to her, theyre just reacting to her slandering men, not the term itself). idk how i would do it, but not like that. the translation of this game is generally the best in the series, but some localization decisions like "degenerate male" (and A CERTAIN CHARACTER'S SPEECH STYLE) stand out as really bad.

I'm sure someone else will have suggested this before but I think the closest you can get to the pun in English would be the word "malefactor", since you can do lines like "the biggest threat to group cohesion are male factors".

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reveilled posted:

I'm sure someone else will have suggested this before but I think the closest you can get to the pun in English would be the word "malefactor", since you can do lines like "the biggest threat to group cohesion are male factors".

my favorite one is B💀YS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just put an emphasis on 'man' or 'male' or whatever and it would have gotten the point across, if you ask me. Maybe use red text color. It's unfortunate.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 5, 2019