Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

Kaede seems to be more down to give people the benefit of the doubt for their weird poo poo so far.

This might be down to her having some weird poo poo herself; she's referenced like six piano concertos in the last ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Tenebrais posted:

This might be down to her having some weird poo poo herself; she's referenced like six piano concertos in the last ten minutes.

Imagine playing the game and not having a kind, generous OP to link every piece of music Kaede name-drops, like everyone already knows the entire musicography of Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel, et al. I'd never even heard of Erik Satie before this game

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For those keeping score at home, Danganronpa v3 is the second game (that I know of, anyway), to directly, explicitly, reference Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No 1 (the first was Mother 3).

Kotaku reckons it's the most influential piece of music in video games.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Captain Walker posted:

Imagine playing the game and not having a kind, generous OP to link every piece of music Kaede name-drops, like everyone already knows the entire musicography of Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel, et al. I'd never even heard of Erik Satie before this game

I'm a huge music nerd, but mostly for the music of 1965 and onward, so I also hadn't heard any of these compositions before I looked them up.

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017

Captain Walker posted:

I have heard of Satie before. This is because of his piece Vexations, which is one of the longest pieces in history, clocking in at over 18 hours.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Fedule posted:

For those keeping score at home, Danganronpa v3 is the second game (that I know of, anyway), to directly, explicitly, reference Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No 1 (the first was Mother 3).

Kotaku reckons it's the most influential piece of music in video games.
Flower, Sun, and Rain has them beat, since it came out in 2001. Almost the entire soundtrack is arrangements of classical music, and Gymnopédie No 1 is the hotel interior theme. The game's first proper chapter is even named after it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

clifton779 posted:

I have heard of Satie before. This is because of his piece Vexations, which is one of the longest pieces in history, clocking in at over 18 hours.

It's a bit surprising that Satie is not more well-known; he was the sort of quirky that tends to be appreciated in our contemporary popular culture. See, for the obvious example, his Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear, a collection of seven piano pieces; or the "Ballet réaliste" Parade (with a scenario by Jean Cocteau and costume design by Picasso), which led to this delightfulness:

Wikipedia posted:

According to the painter Gabriel Fournier, one of the most memorable scandals was an altercation between Cocteau, Satie, and music critic Jean Poueigh, who gave Parade an unfavorable review. Satie had written a postcard to the critic which read, "Monsieur et cher ami – vous êtes un cul, un cul sans musique! Signé Erik Satie" ("Sir and dear friend – you are an arse, an arse without music! Signed, Erik Satie."). The critic sued Satie, and at the trial, Cocteau was arrested and beaten by police for repeatedly yelling "arse" in the courtroom. Satie was given a sentence of eight days in jail.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 8, 2019

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Those artists, am I right? *canned laughter*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He spent eight days in jail for calling someone an arse? I've heard worse than that from middle schoolers.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

MUSIC: Beautiful Lie

Last time we turned left after coming off the stairs to the second floor. Let's take the right path now, starting with the bathrooms.

This is the girls bathroom, right?

Shuichi, do you mind waiting here?

Ah, um, sure...

D-Don't give me that weird look! I'm just gonna check if there's anything inside! I doubt there'd be an exit, but just in case...

S-Sorry...

The toilets seem normal... But it's weird that the plants are growing this thick...

Slim pickings here.

Maybe the other one will have something?

Oh right.

This is the boys bathroom, right?

I-I can't go in there! Not even in this situation!

Ah, if you want...l could go look?

What!? I-I'm not *that* curious about what's in there...

Well, this is an unusual building... Anything could be in there. Wait here a minute.

With that, Shuichi opened the door and walked inside—

It was just a normal bathroom, nothing out of the ordinary. No one was inside.

I-I see...

That scared me... Maybe detectives live for these kinda scary situations?

Past the bathrooms we have the entrance hall, with several portcullises barring the way to the front door.

And then there's one last classroom next to the basement. Who'll we find next?

MUSIC: Finding Peace Party

That boy in white is chasing that other boy in the funny clothes...

What's happening here?

I can't comment on this scribbling in-game, unfortunately.

He doesn't look like he wants to be chased, though... Should we stop him?

Lemme touch your body a little! I've always wanted to be friends with a robot!

What? A robot!?

I have a recording function. If you make any robophobic remarks, I will see you in court.

Wait...you're a robot!? Are you, for reals, a robot!?

A-Are you...one of the Monokubs—

Do not compare me to those toys! I am not just any old robot!

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: K1-B0

Keebo is voiced in English by Lucien Dodge, who also played Dust in Dust: An Elysian Tail, Zoisite in Sailor Moon, Blue in Pokemon Origins, and Hifumi Yamada in Danganronpa. In Japanese he's voiced by Tetsuya Kakihara, who also played Simon in Gurren Lagann, Natsu from Fairy Tail, and Prompto from Final Fantasy XV

Ultimate Robot...?

That's not faaair! You can't be the only one who gets to show off! I'll introduce myself, too!

Oh, um...go ahead.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Kokichi Oma

Kokichi is voiced in English by Derek Stephen Prince, who also played Shino Aburame in Naruto, Uryu Ishida in Bleach, Hugo in Shin Megami Tensei IV, the title character in Cyborg 009, and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu in Danganronpa 2. In Japanese he's voiced by Hiro Shimono, a singer who's also voiced Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows, Nanashi in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, and Conny Springer in Attack on Titan.

Level Seven posted:

With Kokichi as the Supreme Leader, can't let you pass up mentioning that DSP also voiced Ken Ichijouji, the Digimon Emperor.

A robot and...supreme leader? Neither of them make any sense.

By the way, I learned the hard way that a robot's breath smells like gasoline.

My breath does not smell like gasoline! I am powered by electricity!

Nee—heehee...I'm just kidding.

...You're not funny.

Of course you don't think I'm funny. Robots can't understand human humor to begin with!

D-Don't mock me! I have studied the complete history of stand-up comedy!

I think you should've just watched stand-up comedy instead of studying it...

Plus, I may have the appearance of a robot, but I am a high school student just like you.

You're a high school student?

He installed in me a "strong AI," capable of learning and maturing like a human brain. That's why, at the time of my creation, I didn't know anything. I was like a baby...

But the professor raised me like I was his own child. He taught me so many things... Until finally, he enrolled me in high school.

Please do not ask ridiculous questions!

Nee-heehee... I only asked because your backstory is pretty flaccid for a robot.

Well, I can see how being a robot might be enough to be called the Ultimate Robot...

Hey, Kokichi? I don't really understand your Ultimate Supreme Leader talent...

NO MUSIC

What?

MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

I gotta say, it's pretty impressive. My organization has over 10,000 members!

Seriously? The supreme leader of an evil secret organiza—

NO MUSIC

Who knows? I am a liar, after all.

Huh? So you were lying just now?

Well, I am the supreme leader of an evil secret organization. That part was true!

So...were you lying or not?

Ah, by the way... what is the name of that organization?

It's a secret. Y'know, cuz it's a secret organization.

But I've never heard of such a large secret organization like that...

Of course you haven't. Because it's a secret organization.

Hey... Everything he's said so far has sounded like a lie, so that's gotta be a lie too, right?

Just leave him alone. Everything he has been saying has been a lie. ...He's a far more suspicious person than I am, that's for sure.

Well, of course you're not a suspicious person, because robots aren't people, silly.

Grgh...!

Oh, you mad? Are you gonna hit me with a rocket punch?

I don't have that function!

What a weird boy... He's like a mischievous little kid... This is no time to be joking around. Unless... he really is an evil supreme leader?

One last check for dialogue:

I may have the appearance of a robot, but I am a high school student just like you. From one high school student to another, I hope we can all get along!

Who creates a robot without a rocket punch? Why do you even exist?

An evil, secret organization with over 10,000 members...?

It's a lie. I don't think you should worry about it.

What should we do, Shuichi? You wanna head down?

I-I dunno... The basement might be dangerous. This place is full of mysteries.

Then let's proceed with caution! With you at the front!

Ah...so I'm in front. I see...

With hesitant Shuichi leading the way, we carefully made our way down the stairs.

MUSIC: Nightmare in the Locker

It doesn't *look* very dangerous to me.

Ah, well...some dangers are hidden where you can't see.

Shuichi...you have quite the imagination, don't you?

No, I just think you're not considering how dangerous this is...

Yeah, maybe. But we should look around the basement, too.

There might be an exit. Oh, but we should be careful.

Yeah...you're right.

The basement is small, with only two accessible rooms at the moment. Let's check the library first.

Is this a library?

There are books all over the place... It doesn't seem very organized.

Oh, does that bother you? Are you a neat-freak, Shuichi?

No, it's just...I was wondering if someone was using it before us.

Huh? Someone?

Ah, it's nothing. Let's just investigate for now.

Messy library? Nothing a good ol' Hundred-Hand Slap can't fix!

...Yeah, I'm not gonna bother with them.

Some of these letters make no sense... What languages are these supposed to be?

How is anyone supposed to take a book off the shelf when they're crammed in like this?

Then maybe someone was recently here?

I can't say for sure just yet. Let's investigate the room.

Um... Are you an Ultimate student, too?

Yeah, that's right.

Huh? Is that it? She sure doesn't talk much.

I'm Kaede Akamatsu. I'm the Ultimate Pianist.

I'm Shuichi Saihara. And I'm the Ultimate Detective, I suppose...

Geez... Not "suppose," you *are* the Ultimate Detective, okay?

Y-Yeah...you're right.

And what about you?

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Maki Harukawa

Maki is voiced in English by Erika Mendez. You might remember her as Ryuko Matoi in Kill la Kill, Megumin in Konosuba, Retsuko in Aggretsuko, Gon from the remake of Hunter x Hunter, or Nagisa Shingetsu in Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls. She's voiced in Japanese by Maaya Sakamoto. You might remember her as Hitomi Kanzaki from Escaflowne, Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler, Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club, Aigis from Persona 3, or Mira from Zero Time Dilemma.

Ultimate Child Caregiver, huh...

...Surprised? I don't look like someone who'd like kids, do I?

Huh?

Well, you'd be right. I don't like kids that much.

B-But...if you're the Ultimate Child Caregiver, then children must like you a lot, right...?

... Kids are...weird. They come to me on their own. I'm not that good at taking care of them... I'm not that friendly, either...

But they say kids are very intuitive. If they like you that much...

...then they can probably tell how loving you really are, Maki!

Yeah! That must be it! You've chosen a perfect career for yourself!

Huh? What do you mean by that?

...Nothing. It's just...I grew up in an orphanage and got saddled with helping out a lot.

Orphanage, huh? I see...

Ah, by the way... Do you know anything about the Monokubs?

Yeah! Someone's gotta be controlling them, right!? Any idea who it might be?

...How would I know?

Well, fair point... Hmmm... The Monokubs are definitely involved in our situation...

:bravo:

...What?

W-Well, he's a detective, not a god! He can't know everything!

I mean, who cares about some stuffed animals!? Escaping this place is way more important!

Seriously? You think we can escape? Abducting Ultimates from across the country would require massive resources and planning. What makes you think a group capable of that would let us just walk out of here?

If they won't end this, then we will! I know we can do it if we work together!

Work together? With strangers? You're a naive fool if you think you can end this so easily.

That was...kind of odd. She didn't seem like the Ultimate Child Caregiver.

Geez, don't say that.

Hey, another exit to this room.

And it faces another door, but...

Huh?

What's wrong?

This door barely opens a crack. Was it poorly built?

Well, nothing we can do about it. Let's search somewhere else.

Even here there's a monitor. On to the game room.

It looks like a Game Room... But this is a school, right? Is it normal for a school to have its own Game Room?

It certainly is strange...

I wonder what's inside this room... I hope we can investigate it later.

When I heard we were trapped here, I didn't expect we'd have a Game Room.

Are we really trapped in here? There must be an exit, right?

Isn't that what you guys are walking around looking for? Then...figure it out yourself.

Oh, o-okay...

We may be trapped, but it's pretty cool here. Compared to prison anyway...

Prison...? What? But you're an Ultimate student, aren't you?

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Ryoma Hoshi

Ryoma is voiced in English by Chris Tergliafera, a voice actor without that many roles to his name. The only ones that stand out to me are Muhammad Avdol in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders and Gundham Tanaka in Danganronpa 2. His Japanese voice actor is a different story; Akio Outsuka has played Batou in Ghost in the Shell (the movie and Stand-Alone Complex), Blackbeard in One Piece, Ansem in Kingdom Hearts, Gaius van Baelsar in Final Fantasy XIV, and Snake (all of them except Liquid) from the Metal Gear Solid series.

Ryoma Hoshi? R-Really? I've seen you in the newspaper... The tennis prodigy who single-handedly took down a mafia...

You took down a mafia by yourself!?

The papers said he shot them through the head with his tennis skills and an iron ball.

What the hell!? Really!?

Hmph, so you know that much already... Well? What do you think of the loser before you who used his talent to kill?

B-But...why would you throw away your future like that?

Huh?

No...it's nothing. It's not like me to talk so much.

Anyway...I'm warning you. It's dangerous to just walk up to a killer like me.

As he said that, he turned his back to us.

You should listen when people give you warnings... I won't say it again.

I just realized how funny it is that the gloomiest characters we've met so far are both in the basement. Next time, we—

Did someone open it for us? Let's check it out.

Oh! Is this the entrance hall!? Right, Shuichi!? This must be the entrance hall, don't you think?

Y-Yeah, I suppose so...

Which means...

W—Wait, I don't think we should open doors carelessly. It could be a trap...

Oh... Uhhh...

You wonder, "Who is this?" Yes...I shall make that clear first.

AUDIO: Ultimate Introduction: Korekiyo Shinguji

This very normal young man is voiced in English by Todd Haberkorn, who you might recognize as Firo Prochainezo from Baccano, Death the Kid from Soul Eater, Watanuki from xxxHolic, Octa from Drakengard 3, and Teruteru Hanamura from Danganronpa 2. In Japanese, he's voiced by Ken'ichi Suzumura, who played Kamui from X, Okita from Gintama, and Zack from spinoffs of Final Fantasy VII. Haberkorn and Suzumura both share the roles of Sho Minazuki from Persona 4: Arena and Hikaru from Ouran High School Host Club.

Korekiyo? Anthropologist?

Please, call me Kiyo. As for anthropology, would you like a simple explanation?

Okay, sure...

Anthropology...studies customs, legends, folk tales, songs, and much more. There may even be customs in your daily life, the origins of which you do not know.

For example...certain aspects of birthday or new year celebrations. Anthropology sheds light on traditions and customs such as these through rigorous analysis. It is a study that examines the thought behind culture, faith, and customs.

Okay...I sorta get it, but not really... It sounds like a lot of fun, though!

Well of course it's fun... It is a study focused on humanity.

The sound bite here is of Kiyo saying "beautiful" with a tone like someone just stroked one of his erogenous zones.

Oh, ummm...

I find all aspects of humanity—even the ugly parts—to be beautiful. Our present situation is rather...intriguing. What beauty will I be able to witness here?

This guy looks like a creep...and it turns out, he is one, too.

Anyway, we can go outside if we just go through these doors, right?

You should find the answers to such questions on your own... The moment your hopes are shattered... That, too...may be beautiful...

Sh-Shattered...? What does he mean by that?

Our hopes will be shattered? What...does that mean?

Kehe...Kehehehe...

Alright, whatever, man.

O-Okay...

Determined as I was...| just couldn't muster the courage to take that first step forward.

To be honest, I was scared. Because...what if beyond this is just—

Ah, geez! This isn't like me!

Just because I'm scared doesn't mean I'm gonna run away! I gotta move forward!

K-Kaede!

Don't worry about it! Let's go, Shuichi!

I psyched myself up, and with newfound strength walked boldly toward the doors.

I mean, he just admitted that he has no standards, so what does he know?

Blue skies.

Bright sunlight.

Gentle wind.

And—

REPORT CARDS

Solitair fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 5, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Asking the hard questions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kokichi motherfucking Oma

Best character in the franchise :allears:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
With Kokichi as the Supreme Leader, can't let you pass up mentioning that DSP also voiced Ken Ichijouji, the Digimon Emperor.

Ryoma was an early interest from that crazy prison sentence and Korekiyo had the neatest talent I wanted to hear more about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I must have realized this when I played the game but I somehow forgot and just realized again that Ryoma is a giant Prince of Tennis reference.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I appreciate the fact that the cartoonish looking male character seemingly isn't a complete weirdo this time around.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Sindai posted:

I must have realized this when I played the game but I somehow forgot and just realized again that Ryoma is a giant Prince of Tennis reference.

One of his sound bites is "Still got a ways to go."

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One of NISA's biggest localisation crimes is not casting David Hayter, or even a passable sound-alike, to voice Ryoma using the Snake Voice, to properly mirror how he was cast in Japanese. It's not like he wouldn't've been all for it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rarity posted:

He does seem delightful!

This looks like a really fun batch of characters and talents overall, I gotta say.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also Kiyo is a creeper who needs to step off :mad:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Also Kiyo is a creeper who needs to step off :mad:

shut up he's hilarious. i love the blatant suspicion-bait quality to his character.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
A bunch of cast members introduced, and already we are seeing subversion to the formula. Consider Ryoma: looking at his design, you'd think he'd be a flat comic relief character like Hifumi or Teruteru, but he's not. At all. And there is at least one that plays so close to a stereotype that it immediately makes you suspicious, or should... It creates a feeling of amused dread that I've come to associate with this series uniquely, and let me tell you, I felt much, much better about this game going into it. I'm actually excited! Bring on those murders!

We also have Kokichi Oma. And I'm not saying poo poo.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
More notes I made the first time I saw these character introductions:

- Kokichi is fun. He's a horrendous little poo poo, but in a way I rather enjoy. I look forward to him causing conflict and being terrible.
- Why is there a robot in this game? From his appearance, I thought at first that he was going to be some sort of scary destroyer robot, but he seems to be a fairly restrained, ordinary young man who... happens to be a robot.
- I'm looking forward to seeing more of Maki. She's wary, she thinks things through, she's a little closed-off. I think she could be helpful in the trials.
- Ryoma is unsettling! But I'm intrigued by him. I do enjoy the 'gruff voice, "I'm a killer, don't go near me" attitude, adorable design' combination.
- The second Kiyo started talking about how he finds everything about humanity beautiful, even the uglier aspects, I went, 'You're going to be thrilled by all the murder that's coming up, aren't you?' There's something a bit Komaeda-esque about him, I suppose: he just wants to see something beautiful, even if terrible things have to happen in the process. I doubt I'll love him as much as I love Komaeda, though. (This prediction held true. V3 has some great awful characters, but Komaeda's still the best at being the worst.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The robot was one of the earliest characters we saw and speculation was already born of him looking kind of like Makoto and being named Hope, quite literally.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I don't have it on me, but the very first promotional image had K1b0 front and center which lead many to assume he would be the main character. Also, in addition to looking like Makoto, he's apparently the same height as him too. K1b0 is actually quite short, its just hard to tell with guys like Kokichi and Ryoma around.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kokichi is a little poo poo, but he's a great little poo poo.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Rarity posted:

:emptyquote:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Rarity posted:

:emptyquote:

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
Oh Kokichi. How I love to hate you. You are one of the most outright crazy fun characters in this game. I hate you, but I just can’t quit you.

Kiyo is just kinda meh to me. He’s too over the top, and unlike Gundham Tanaka, he’s not over the top in a way I can thoroughly enjoy. The character is trying too hard to be creepy, and to me it just falls flat.

God I love Ryoma I wish there was a game just about him holy poo poo. :swoon: The juxtaposition of his looks and personality is just so GREAT, and the way he acts like the dark loner is so stereotypically middle schooler, yet he pulls it off straight and ends up just seeming legitimately cool.

Mecha_Face fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 11, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I was going to talk about how much Ryoma rules but I forgot. I guess I still got a ways to go :smith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mecha_Face posted:

Kiyo is just kinda meh to me. He’s too over the top, and unlike Gundham Tanaka, he’s not over the top in a way I can thoroughly enjoy. The character is trying too hard to be creepy, and to me it just falls flat.

I feel like a big thing about Kiyo is making you wonder whether he's too obvious to actually end up being one of the murderers or not.

Echoing Kokichi being the best character. I feel like the name of his talent is a bit oddly-translated, though? "Supreme Leader" is a really vague descriptor, it's hard to tell whether he's meant to be leading a Bond-villain-style crime ring or a cult. I think it's supposed to be the former. "Ultimate Mastermind" would probably be more appropriate for that but Mastermind is a loaded term in Danganronpa already...

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Tenebrais posted:

Echoing Kokichi being the best character. I feel like the name of his talent is a bit oddly-translated, though? "Supreme Leader" is a really vague descriptor, it's hard to tell whether he's meant to be leading a Bond-villain-style crime ring or a cult. I think it's supposed to be the former. "Ultimate Mastermind" would probably be more appropriate for that but Mastermind is a loaded term in Danganronpa already...

According to the Wikipedia page of the term that was originally used (総統, sōtō), it's a title used specifically for the leaders of dictatorial, fascist regimes. Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco are a few examples given in the article.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Emissary posted:

According to the Wikipedia page of the term that was originally used (総統, sōtō), it's a title used specifically for the leaders of dictatorial, fascist regimes. Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco are a few examples given in the article.

Ah, Ultimate Dictator would work pretty drat well then. Wonder why they didn't go for that.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, Ultimate Dictator would work pretty drat well then. Wonder why they didn't go for that.

Because "supreme ruler" is a more accurate and literal translation of 総統 than "dictator", in addition to being way sillier and less political (which would tarnish the fun aspect of the character). Please don't complain about stuff that's perfectly fine just based on wikipedia.

edit: Even in the wiki article you referenced, the section on the term's use in fiction says that it's often used to draw direct comparisons to Hitler (and apparently the term was the official translation of Führer). I think you'd agree that Kokichi's character would be way less well-recieved in the west if NISA had played up that aspect.

edit2: considering that the literal interpretation of the kanji 総 and 統 is essentially "supreme" and "leader", and the fact that, remember Japan was on the same side as all of those "dictators" in WW2 and Führer is the german word for leader.... yeah

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 12, 2019

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Tenebrais posted:

"Supreme Leader" does a better job of preserving that "leader of a cult of personality" connotation, so I'd hazard that they wanted to emphasize that part of it more. It's also more ambiguous, so Kaede not being entirely clear on what it means makes sense to the reader.

It's the better decision in my opinion, even though it doesn't roll off the tongue as smoothly as Ultimate Dictator.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
isn't it just a kamen rider/super sentai deal? like those baddies, especially in the early years, definitely jump into "mid-century dictator" imagery but the idea behind what he's saying with the evil organization is, like, the kind that I guess you'd call terrorists, except the terrorism is done by animal-people cyborgs

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Any chance that the supreme leader is actually the ultimate liar or something?

I like that for once, the protag has a talent an another character has forgotten his. This game looks promising.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

New Wave Jose posted:

Any chance that the supreme leader is actually the ultimate liar or something?

I like that for once, the protag has a talent an another character has forgotten his. This game looks promising.

That was the case in the first game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Kokichi has some pretty big shoes to fill if he's going to too Gundam for "Best Character" title.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Kokichi has some pretty big shoes to fill if he's going to too Gundam for "Best Character" title.

He’s got a pretty good start off the line, though, you gotta admit.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was the case in the first game.

And the second game, though it was less a case of mistaken identity/forgetting and more an outright lie in itself. Come to think of it, TWICE in the second game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder where the students are being held this time. It's going to be tough to top "virtual island".