Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Like you said, it’s an investment. He’s not throwing it away like he’s buying a goddamn yacht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rastor posted:

The logic (thin as it is) is not about the players that failed out, it's about the players that just needed some development time in the feeder league

But the NFL is probably perfectly content with their NCAA feeder system

The problem with the NCAA feeder system is that in ends in college. Say you're a decent college player but you get injured in the second half of your last season. No combine, no pro day, you don't get a lot of interest and then you go undrafted. But you know you're capable of at least making a team. So where do you go and what do you do? That's what the AAF is for, basically an 8-team practice squad that NFL teams can use to call guys up when and where they are required. The NCAA system is really only good at bringing guys into the league one way: through the draft. This provides a different option that would be very good for certain players.

So it can be useful to them, there's no doubt about that. And I was under the impression that the NFL is actually interested in the success of the AAF. Not surprised at all that the NFLPA isn't on board and I doubt that will change. I think it is an empty threat and that the AAF will continue as it has been

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Play posted:

The problem with the NCAA feeder system is that in ends in college. Say you're a decent college player but you get injured in the second half of your last season. No combine, no pro day, you don't get a lot of interest and then you go undrafted. But you know you're capable of at least making a team. So where do you go and what do you do? That's what the AAF is for, basically an 8-team practice squad that NFL teams can use to call guys up when and where they are required. The NCAA system is really only good at bringing guys into the league one way: through the draft. This provides a different option that would be very good for certain players.

So it can be useful to them, there's no doubt about that. And I was under the impression that the NFL is actually interested in the success of the AAF. Not surprised at all that the NFLPA isn't on board and I doubt that will change. I think it is an empty threat and that the AAF will continue as it has been

Also since the NCAA is based on college students being the only eligible players for a limited window, there's no room for a working athlete (and they're technically not paid anyway). If you're a decent athlete but not quite NFL material, you can still make living playing in a minor league system.

That will also let a baseline form that players could be more accurately measured against. The AAF isn't at the mercy of whatever kids they can bribe recruit out of high school and there are no giant schools that crush everyone else in their division so young players that stand out will have fewer question marks around how they would do at the next level.

All of this is unfortunately moot if the league folds. :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
:(

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1111326511792095234

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Missed it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

said many AAF vendors haven't been paid and Dundon did not assume prior debts before he jumped aboard

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm going to build a league, and the bodies of impoverished young men will pay for it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why would an agreement with the NFLPA instantaneously affect the league's cash flow (irt being able to finish the season)? Do they have potential investors contingent on them working out a deal with the NFLPA?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/DCAbloob/status/1111350980543696898
https://twitter.com/DCAbloob/status/1111353275490713606

General Dog posted:

Why would an agreement with the NFLPA instantaneously affect the league's cash flow (irt being able to finish the season)? Do they have potential investors contingent on them working out a deal with the NFLPA?

It seems like their "investors" they originally talked about are now reduced to just Tom Dundon

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rastor posted:

https://twitter.com/DCAbloob/status/1111350980543696898
https://twitter.com/DCAbloob/status/1111353275490713606

It seems like their "investors" they originally talked about are now reduced to just Tom Dundon

If that's the case, then I don't understand the urgency with the NFLPA deal. "We need to broaden our potential talent pool" and "we're about to close shop next week (because we're out of money)" feel like two totally separate issues. Seems like it has to be a hail-mary to get some other suckers to buy in. Even if they were able to get the deal done, it doesn't feel game-changing.

Like "well, this thing seemed like a big sham before, but not that they can potentially sign Tyler Bray and Kieth Ford then I guess the whole thing is legit after all."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 28, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

If that's the case, then I don't understand the urgency with the NFLPA deal. "We need to broaden our potential talent pool" and "we're about to close shop next week (because we're out of money)" feel like two totally separate issues. Seems like it has to be a hail-mary to get some other suckers to buy in. Even if they were able to get the deal done, it doesn't feel game-changing.

Like "well, this thing seemed like a big sham before, but not that they can potentially sign Tyler Bray and Kieth Ford then I guess the whole thing is legit after all."

So my understanding is they're not out of money -- as long as Tom Dundon is writing checks. He in turn is only writing checks if he thinks the investment will pay off. And apparently he has decided for that to happen the league needs the players covered by the NFLPA.

Now personally I think the league can be a profitable endeavor with the existing player pool. But apparently (again, only my understanding, I have no inside knowledge) Tom wants to go big or go home.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rastor posted:

Now personally I think the league can be a profitable endeavor with the existing player pool. But apparently (again, only my understanding, I have no inside knowledge) Tom wants to go big or go home.

That or he's just looking for an excuse to get out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

That or he's just looking for an excuse to get out.

Jerry Jones will bail out the league and use it as leverage against the NFLPA

"I'll just take the Cowboys to the AAF if you want to hold out for money"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rastor posted:

So my understanding is they're not out of money -- as long as Tom Dundon is writing checks. He in turn is only writing checks if he thinks the investment will pay off. And apparently he has decided for that to happen the league needs the players covered by the NFLPA.

This seems like a convincing explanation that makes sense. Whatever happens I actually really don't want the AAF to fold

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Jerry Jones will bail out the league and use it as leverage against the NFLPA

"I'll just take the Cowboys to the AAF if you want to hold out for money"

Other 31 owners: :hmmyes: :byewhore:

Play posted:

Whatever happens I actually really don't want the AAF to fold

Same. The AAF is cool and good, and it would suck rear end if it dies on the vine over a stupid power struggle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Orlando/Memphis was a crazy and wild game. Manziel died after one drive and Mike Singletary grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Same. The AAF is cool and good, and it would suck rear end if it dies on the vine over a stupid power struggle.

This. I have enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. The quality of football is actually fairly decent. Also I get to watch Spurrier’s offense and it is a thing of beauty.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I love how the AAF can't replace the Pac 12 logos for these games.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Atlanta beats Birmingham today, Memphis at 2-6 is still in the playoff hunt

Root for chaos

Mega64
May 23, 2008

East Final going to be Birmingham @ Orlando, who could’ve predicted this?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nervous posted:

I love how the AAF can't replace the Pac 12 logos for these games.

I mean, that seems pretty pointless at this stage so kudos to them imo for putting what money there is where it belongs.

I have noticed a serious uptick in commercial frequency, which I"m sure eventually (if the league survives) will rival that of the NFL. All beautiful things must be destroyed

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Play posted:

I mean, that seems pretty pointless at this stage so kudos to them imo for putting what money there is where it belongs.

I have noticed a serious uptick in commercial frequency, which I"m sure eventually (if the league survives) will rival that of the NFL. All beautiful things must be destroyed

At least you can still watch the oddly detached and serene feed of the AAF app, with no audio, replays, or ads whatsoever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Docjowles posted:

At least you can still watch the oddly detached and serene feed of the AAF app, with no audio, replays, or ads whatsoever.

Oh is that where that is? I used to be able to access that one from my browser and I loved it but then that option seemed to disappear. I guess they moved it exclusively to the app, which I had managed to avoid up until now

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Play posted:

Oh is that where that is? I used to be able to access that one from my browser and I loved it but then that option seemed to disappear. I guess they moved it exclusively to the app, which I had managed to avoid up until now

The app is pretty baller

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/tgleezy1/status/1111737435778621440

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Using three QBs sucks

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hack really is the worst quarterback in the league.

a neat cape posted:

Using three QBs sucks

Four is even worse!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Using three QBs sucks

:rip: Nelson, the brief period where the Fleet looked OK

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

:rip: Nelson, the brief period where the Fleet looked OK

Great defense matched by an inept offense.

Sad.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

a neat cape posted:

Great defense matched by an inept offense.

Sad.

Imagine if Salt Lake didn't turn the ball over 4 times a game.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I noticed today the AAF is hiring a bunch of computer touchers. Seems like it would be hard to attract people when there's weekly "THIS LEAGUE IS PROBABLY GONNA FOLD" headlines in the national media heh.

https://aaf.com/jobs/

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1112776893244362753

:feelsgood:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I noticed today the AAF is hiring a bunch of computer touchers. Seems like it would be hard to attract people when there's weekly "THIS LEAGUE IS PROBABLY GONNA FOLD" headlines in the national media heh.

https://aaf.com/jobs/

But it's in San Francisco so they're likely processing 10,000 resumes

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
SEVEN AND ONE!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

SEVEN AND ONE!

How'd you get the 1?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

How'd you get the 1?

Shhh.

I see you're redirecting your non NFCS posting nicely.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Shhh.

I see you're redirecting your non NFCS posting nicely.

I'm legit embarrassed that count is double what the #2 poster was :negative:

I refuse to Mel the NFCS thread!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lol who cares, at least you're generally posting good poo poo in there. Either way, it was an impressive feat.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1112818104432820225?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Don't let it bother you. Personally I feel very proud and generous for gracing you all with my humor, wit and charisma in such great quantities