Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Hello. Preopotopus here. Always a post, never a thread.
Sit rep:

TL;DR
After impulse buying a 2000 BMW 323, I crashed it, fixed it, moved 2 states over and became the 4rth owner of a 2007 S600.
Let the fun continue!

On a rainy day off a few years ago I cruised by the Euro dealer lot and spotted a mint 2000 BMW 323 ci parked up next to the newer poo poo with no sticker or price. I phoned the dealer and they just took it in on trade and havent even looked at it. I asked how much right now, and they said 4500. I became the second owner. 86k, all records. needed a control arm, the wheel straightened, and a valve cover gasket and naturally the windows tinted.

bad picture.
Being my first RWD car it didnt take long till I took it off road.

Naturally it got written off by the insurance but feeling guilty I bought it back for 500 and set to work.

Good time to do the valve cover gasket at least.
Anyway after sourcing a bunch of ebay parts we ended up here.

the bumper proved hard to find but I got one from Lithuania
then a bunch of bullshit happened for a year or so
I moved to Colorado and ended up here.

Fast forward and for reasons (mostly Kimbo) I Impulse bought a S600
16,500 sticker price after dealer fees and taxes im out at like 18,900. Financed of course.
So the S class. The body and interior is absolutely mint. Besides the sun roof motor breaking immediately, The analog clock not setting correctly, and the rear drivers side head rest unable to be tucked away out of sight. The car phone thing in the center console is also a little flimsy. I decided i wont gently caress with it and just use a normal
phone. Everything else works. So far.
Driving home from the dealer I realized I got hosed.

Current Issues. Loud squeak over bumps from the drivers front. Front end is tight minus small play in the bearing.
I assume this is acceptable as it seams to be a wet bearing and not a hub assembly surprisingly.
Failing ABC damper/accumulator making the classic power steering pump going out noise.
I cant fill the car up normally. Have to hold the gun in a unique way and trickle fuel into the tank.
But the V12 TT seams to be working well and there are no aggressive oil or coolant leaks.
The windshield is cracked but the dealer has to fix that. Its been two weeks and still safelight has not come out.
The transmission will kick in low gear occasionally and also when selecting drive or reverse. It usually happens when car is parked on a slope. Im not sure if its picking up slack in the transmission or in the diff. Also you can hear an audible grind when selecting drive or reverse with the window down.
Ive put about 500 miles on the thing so far and the only warning I have had,
was "ABC malfunction" which came on briefly in yellow and then went away the next morning.

I was supposed to go down to Hoover Mercedes as recommended in this thread today but unfortunately im sick so i figured id make this thread instead.
I plan on keeping the BMW as a safety net but I did take the insurance off of it for now.
I know this OP sucks but my plan for this thread is just posting note worthy calamities and also random poo poo I run into at our shop.
Let the fun commence!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That Merc is soooo good looking. I'm glad it's you and not me that owns it, but I'll live vicariously.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

That Merc is soooo good looking. I'm glad it's you and not me that owns it, but I'll live vicariously.

Just like Kimbo305's... badass cars, but I'd be constantly waiting for the next thing to break. Lucky for them, they won't have to wait too long!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks to you I started looking at CL600s...then at quattroportes...then if someone had engineered a quattroporte manual swap...then back to CL600s and possible turbo upgrades.

I had to put my tablet down before I caused myself harm.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Rectal Placenta posted:

Thanks to you I started looking at CL600s...then at quattroportes...then if someone had engineered a quattroporte manual swap...then back to CL600s and possible turbo upgrades.

I had to put my tablet down before I caused myself harm.

Follow your heart! (do it)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i really want a quattroporte because im stupid

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want something like a 2012 E63 AMG coupe but the idiots didnt bother ever making one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i really want a quattroporte because im stupid

I do too but the transmission problems they have and parts availability scared me off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Preoptopus posted:

I do too but the transmission problems they have and parts availability scared me off.

Just get one from 2007 or later with the ZF 6HP26

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Well gently caress. Speaking of transmissions, am I correct in understanding the w221 transmission is universal between the s550 and the s600? Asking for a friend.

No word on the windshield replacement. Sent the dealer an angry email. You sold me a broken car you claimed was a "time capsule" fix the poo poo you said you would. It's state law they have to so I'll be more than happy to escalate the matter.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 29, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Just like Kimbo305's... badass cars, but I'd be constantly waiting for the next thing to break. Lucky for them, they won't have to wait too long!

Can confirm. Once you own it, that's all you think about.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Can confirm. Once you own it, that's all you think about.

That was my X5M. Which ironically didn't break while I owned it.

I must be a masochist since now I'm looking at these dumb things.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a goon with an SL on here. I've always loved the way those cars look, but I've never had enough disposable income to seriously consider owning one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The night vision camera is great for driving in snowstorms at night.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Changed the oil today. Old oil was certainly used but wasn't terrible.
4 loving o rings on the filter.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Been averaging 10.5 mpg. Whoever called out 11 was spot on.

Also got bored at work and flipped through the user manual. Specifically the transmission chapter.
"Do not abruptly step on the gas pedal"
oops.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
ABC Malfunction popped on again. Turned the car off and on, and it went away.

Customer I mentioned in Kimbos thread came back. Hes trying to sell his s600 Same year as mine with about as many miles. Knowing he has no ABC issues and brand new ignition coils a very sinister thought crossed my mind. Buy another s600 for parts?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 2, 2019

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For the right price that might not be a bad idea. How confident are you in the condition of the ABC system and the rest of the parts on the car?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Bajaha posted:

For the right price that might not be a bad idea. How confident are you in the condition of the ABC system and the rest of the parts on the car?

According to the owner he has not had any issues with the suspension. Despite only having 6k on mine its in pretty bad shape. Covered in scratches, interior has coffee spills and just looks really worn. Dude just had a random dirty office chair laying on the back seats. Its got some aftermarket forged two piece rims which at some point cost a bunch but had seen some curbs resulting in cracks and were poorly welded back together. Despite the new coils he says its down on power still. Ill lowball him tomarrow for kicks.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Lol guy was dumber than I thought when it comes to these cars and Im real dumb when it comes to these cars.
Fixed my squeeking front end today by poking the ball joint boots with a needle grease gun. Temporary solution but at least no more sounding like a dump truck.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... Let's see some pics of your new parts car?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
gently caress the parts car and gently caress that guy. Ill let him sweat it out on his own.

i knew it would come with the territory of owning such a car but its starting to bug me the looks I get from others. The hatred is real. Im considering getting a bumper sticker, like this car was cheaper than a new civic and will bankrupt me dont be jelouse. Im considering shaving the v12s off the side. I used to feel conspicuous int the Bmw this makes that look like a civic.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2019

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Your tint should be so dark that you can't see the plebes staring at you anyways

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

i knew it would come with the territory of owning such a car but its starting to bug me the looks I get from others. The hatred is real.

Lol people are so clueless. When we bought our LS430 (for $9k) my neighbor asked me if we won the lottery. Also comments from friends and family about "didn't know you made that much money" Nothing draws ire and judgement quite like a huge gently caress-off luxury sedan.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I got loving snide comments about my '88 Volvo 244DL that had literally been parked under a pine tree for 13 years before I dragged it back from the brink over a summer.

People are loving idiots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But if you drive around a $60k pickup truck no one bats an eye.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those ferign cars are for lazy trust fund babies that think they're too good for us. Buying a Cummins 3500 XLT Big Dick edition is just showin' everyone how hard you worked. Probably started out on the factory floor and worked your way up to foreman. Why you punishing success, son? :clint:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

rscott posted:

Your tint should be so dark that you can't see the plebes staring at you anyways

I bought this car largely for two reasons. Im russian and its the s600 is the butt of all "new russian" jokes so I did it sort of ironically, secondly I will never forget Clarksons review of the w221 on Top gear way back in the day. Back then that poo poo blew my mind.
If I lived in the suburbs i would probably ting the windows just cause its so loving bright in Colorado, but tinted windows on such a car around where I live, scream drug dealer and its attention I dont want from fools or copps. I also dont dress the best and I suppose I can change that. Getting out of this motherfucker in adidas sweats and a wife beater with a beeny on at the liquor store isnt helping anything. Same with putting rims on it. (i like the ones i have anyway) Im also considering shaving the v12 off the sides cause assholes trying to race me gets kind of old. And honesty I think it looks tacky. I would much prefer it to the 90s style where they had it behind the rear doors.

The bright side, Giving customers rides home in it when they drop their car off for service, Im always asked if its the company car, I hit em with the seat massager and they freak lol.

I found the squeek and it is low and behold the balljoints which have a small tear in them and no lube. I sprayed in a bunch of pb blaster and white lithium and it went away for now. As the weather warms up the ABC isnt making so much noise if anny and drivability has been excellent.

No regrets so far.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rock it, man. Dressing like a schleb in a luxury car is the best. It's like flying first class - you can tell who does it a lot because they are all wearing sweatpants and look like they just woke up (they did).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But if you drive around a $60k pickup truck no one bats an eye.

Totally this. I got dirty looks at the gas statiion from a dude filling up his 350 dually with an 8 inch lift and 37s along with light bars and custom bumper and LCDs in the head rests. Bruh

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KillHour posted:

Rock it, man. Dressing like a schleb in a luxury car is the best. It's like flying first class - you can tell who does it a lot because they are all wearing sweatpants and look like they just woke up (they did).

I aint changing who I am. This is basically me minus the laughing at people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CifRzHDFWK0

Dont know what happened. Changed the oil, cars running tits. I did do a heavy brake onto a crowded onramp and got the oil level too high messege, guessing it sloshed forwards. figured out how to drive the tranny without it bucking. Parking brake is key, then throw it into neutral, then gear after letting it warm up a bit.
WIndshield gets put in tomarrow. Honestly no real complaints. Put about 100O miles on it so far and drive it daily other than taking the Beemer out occasioanlly to dust the cobb webs. Made my first payment. I think Kimbo, you gotta drive these things daily otherwise they figure ways out to get your attention. Pulling up s550s does give you an evil smirk tho.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sad I can't link the Louis CK skit about looking homeless in his expensive apartment lobby because he's a horrible creep. But pretend he wasn't and I did.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KillHour posted:

I'm sad I can't link the Louis CK skit about looking homeless in his expensive apartment lobby because he's a horrible creep. But pretend he wasn't and I did.
gently caress that more like this.
https://www.snotr.com/video/4965/Redmans_Crib

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

Im russian and its the s600 is the butt of all "new russian" jokes so I did it sort of ironically
adidas sweats and a wife beater with a beeny on at the liquor store

Checks out.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
An interesting tidbit about the car, when reading the ad it said MP3 player so I figured it just played MP3s burned onto CDs. To my surprise the thing has a slot for a MP3 minidisk cartridge. I actually had one until about recently loaded with all my favorite Highschool tunes. I wonder I they are still out there but who downloads MP3s anymore anyway. It does have the big football looking thing in the center console but im assuming its only to hook up to your phone. I cant seam to play any music through it but maybe im doing something wrong. It does have an AUX input in the glove box. Again, only fitting a first gen I pod. Makes sence since in 07 most of us plebs were still waiting till 9pm to get free out bound calls on our razor phones and downloading Peety Pablo ringtones. However I wonder if there is a way to splice in a regular head phone jack. So ive got the changer loaded with my HS CDs i found in my old binder at my parents house. Most of them naturally scratched. I did sign up for 3 months free sirusXM which is all right i suppose but commercial free or not they mostly play the same poo poo. I can really only see the point if you listen to talk or sports radio which I dont. Of course YOUTUBE says putting in aux jack is super easy but im not quite ready to rip the dash apart yet. There is a station called the Joint which is all reggea music so ive been bumping that. As I said before tomarrow safelight comes to replace the windshield I hope they send a guy who knows what hes doing. I also wonder with the screen out, would it be easier to access the moon roof motor and get that going again. Im a fan of an open roof and its been urking me.

I did mention id talk about the shop a bit but there really hasnt been anything exciting going on apart from my manager getting locked up for reasons. so far hes missed 2 weeks and its not looking good for him. Just been me and another guy running the front still crushed 37gs last week ho ho! Nothing worse to be an absent manager and have the store put up numbers without you there. Big meeting tomarrow but a pretty good feeling to have the big bosses know we got this.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

I wonder I they are still out there but who downloads MP3s anymore anyway.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706092

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wait so I stick that thing in and it can act as a blue tooth device from myphone? or is only for mp3 loading purposes only.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

I did sign up for 3 months free sirusXM which is all right i suppose but commercial free or not they mostly play the same poo poo.

Sirius is only okay if you get a heavy discount. I happen to like it (more for the variety + Stern), but I paid $30 for 6 months, and now $5.99/mo (streaming only plan). I also spend 40+ hours a week in the car... (the app is also a bit better than actual satellite service in that it lets you pause, has on-demand content, etc, but it's still fairly buggy).

Once you get an aux input lined up, Slacker is running a special for $9.99 for 1 year of ad-free streaming. I jumped on that today; I alternate between SiriusXM and Slacker.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Wait so I stick that thing in and it can act as a blue tooth device from myphone? or is only for mp3 loading purposes only.

AFAIK that thread is goons who still use standalone MP3 players. It's still somewhat active. I'm unfamiliar with apple devices but it may be a good place to ask about whatever you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Thanks ill do some more digging and check them out.

So windscreen update lol. Holy gently caress. When I went to pic the car up originally the sales guy was all like hey I wish you would have told me your comming ( had an appointment) starlight is here putting your windshield in. U wanna wait? I'm like nah gently caress it just come have an do it at my shop. Fast forward 3 weeks I have not heard a peep despite leaving messages. Finally get ahold of the manager he's apologized profusely and sure enough ten min later I get a call to schedule them to come out. The lady was asking me a million questions and I assured her it was fully loaded and had all the options. Today starlight comes out with the wrong windscreen . You told us it had a camera and you have night vision. I'm like night vision is a camera whatever. Get me the loving right windshield. He goes on his phone with my vin number and lo and behold! It's a Mercedes only windshield 1500 bucks. I'm like yea I thought that's what yall were bringing. I get on the general manager of the dealer I bought it from like tall lied to my face you were gonna fix it there, the guy selling me the car has never even sat in the thing and knew gently caress all about it. So of course the windshield is special ordered 3 weeks away from the fatherland. And thankfully they are having Mercedes of Denver do it. I called up Mercedes and asked how long does it take and they said the whole day. At least I get a loner car. So how the gently caress was this kid from safelight gonna put this thing in the parking lot? I should be a dick and make them fix the sunroof while they are in there.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2019