Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Postmortem update.

1,600 miles.

Three hours in, car started to poo poo itself. ABS/ESP lights came on. Thought the road was rough but it kept getting worse. Like a washboard. Felt like it was going to fly apart. Pulled over in the middle of BFE. So here we are with a shitload of luggage on a Saturday morning wondering wth I'm going to do. Wife smells a burning smell on top of it.

So at first I was thinking a tire lost a belt or something. But what to do or how to salvage the vacation. I have AAA so thought get it back to the mileage limit and do a bunch of mental gymnastics swapping cars/rental yada yada yada you get the picture.

So caution be damned, restarted it and drove forward and instantly better. Smooth as hell. I was amazed. ABS light still on. ABS light has happened before, usually clears out after a cycle or two. So of course I'm somewhat stressed and paranoid as gently caress. Venture forward, all is fine. Burning smell/vibration we decided was attributed to the car doing something with the brakes such as pulsing them constantly at speed*.

After another couple of stops the ABS light cleared but the AC poo poo the bed. Of course it was hot and humid. Drive 10 minutes after a restart the AC kicks in. Both of us figured it was a combination of the heat and humidity going to hell with the sensors. It was fine the entire week we were there since it cooled down. Then of course the AC went to hell on the drive back.

tl;dr: Friends don't let friends buy an S class.

* Ran DAS when back home. Three wheel sensors created faults. Replacing all four. Also replacing blower motor. Less then $300 for it all and hopefully fixes this drat crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
That's amazing. Lol. Not bad tho only 300.
So I just tried to drive from Denver to Silverthorne gently caress the little misfire. Pulled great up the first hill then stopped at Idaho springs to get some gas. Paid inside came out to a watterfall of coolant. Upper radiator hose fell apart at the quick connect and came half way out. There was a napa 2 blocks away. Topped her off ran her back down she never overheated or even got close, but poor thing puked again when I parked her. Throw it on the pile!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Of course no one has one aftermarket. Taking bets on how much it would be from mb.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Its 26 bucks

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Well gently caress me the hose was leaking at the seal but the new one pushed the pressure back to the radiator which appears to be leaking at the crimps so its gonna have to be replaced.
Anyone ever do this job? Anything I should look out for? Alldata calls 3.8 hours but i dont see it being that hard.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 14, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What hose you talking about? There about a few of us on various sites dealing with coolant leaking.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Upper radiator hose. Driver side. Super easy to replace as it's a quick release.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Alright I know this thread has been pretty quiet but we got content incoming.

In case I didnt make it clear the car needs, (umong many things) a radiator now. And probably a thermostat.

Radiator got ordered from MB wasnt gonna get it till monday so I thought sunday I would dust off the ol cobbwebs from the e46.
Plan was to take her up to MT Evans with a buddy. (one of the few 14000 ft+ mountains in CO you can drive to the summit. Everything was fine we got through the toll and about a mile up the actual mountain I smelled the coolant right as the light popped on. Coasted 23 some miles back down hill with the engine off into Idaho Springs and limped through town to the SAME loving NAPA i was at a week earlier with the Benz. Cant make this poo poo up. Anyway the stupid rear end plastic coolant tank bracket that is plastic and has coolant running through it seamed to have separated. I had just replaced all this poo poo 2 years ago with cheap parts and there you go. Obviously the napa in a small mountain town didnt have my poo poo so I went for option b took it apart and and gobbed plastic jb weld all over the seams. (im the fun starts here sign)
My other friend called at that time looking for a hiking buddy and im like, hey you know what would be cool? going to Mt Evans! Im already here! So I chilled while my friend arrived from Denver and we left the car to dry in the lot to go smoke blunts at the summit.
Came back and it held coolant a lot better than before but would not bleed correctly and thermostat wouldnt open and kept peculating in the tank and over heating. I could not stop air bubbles from comming out of the bleeder screw and she wouldnt blow hot air. As it was getting dark, I said gently caress it and limped it back to denver stopping whenever the needle started to climb a total of 7 loving times to let it cool and put more water in. Literally getting water from the river that ran next to the road. Next morning the Benz got put on hold so I could deal with this.

Got a new bracket piece, a thermostat and replaced a gasket in the coolant tank threw that bitch in while at the same time running the front of the shop.
Hanging the radiator and ac condensor from the power steering lines is not advisable but I seam to have gotten away with it. Do as I say not as I do.

Radiator came tho on time and boy is it a heavy fucker. However now that I just went through that with the BM I wonder if I might as well do a thermostat on the v12 as well. So far there is very limited info I have found on doing this job, Alldata is very vauge and of course you need special tool number 123.391 to do anything. I did see one vid on youtube where some guy is doing it on a s65amg and that seams very similar however the video about how hes smugly loving over the benz service department more than explaining how to do the job correctly. Those dealer assholes wanted 3 grand to do a radiator on my $160,000 car?! The Nerve!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
quote is not edit

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do you really have to take that much poo poo off a E46 to do that job

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

German car = "service position" for this kind of stuff.

Audi and VW want service position to change a loving headlight bulb. And frankly, I'd kill for a radiator support that could unbolt like that for any work on the front of the engine. My radiator and condenser have to come out from the bottom; the radiator fan does too, but I discovered you can put a wheel up on a curb to get enough room to wiggle the fan out on my GM.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I mean I did the entire cooling system + timing belt and cam seals on an E30 without taking off the front clip, seems a bit excessive!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

rscott posted:

I mean I did the entire cooling system + timing belt and cam seals on an E30 without taking off the front clip, seems a bit excessive!

Mine still had the old school metal fan off the water pump before they went to electric. this ment. there is zero room that i saw to get to the thermostat behind it and taking it off with the radiator in place ment with my luck I would inevitably put the fan through the radiator itself when trying to align it back to the bolt holes.

After I crashed it years ago and put it back together the only thing really holding my bumper and crash bar on is the 2 bolts going through the frame. The rest is a few screws and bolts. Takes me about a half hour to get it to that. Headlights are held in with zip ties as the impact broke all the brackets. Speaking of brackets
I dont mind taking poo poo apart as an easy to access work space eliminates frustrations that usually end up burning/slicing me or worse, breaking some lovely piece of plastic that is vital and I can only replace by purchasing the 300 dollar part its attached to.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

STR posted:

Audi and VW want service position to change a loving headlight bulb. And frankly, I'd kill for a radiator support that could unbolt like that for any work on the front of the engine. My radiator and condenser have to come out from the bottom; the radiator fan does too, but I discovered you can put a wheel up on a curb to get enough room to wiggle the fan out on my GM.

The radiator support is two little nubs that hold it from the sides attached to the frame rails. The annoying thing (but i see why they did this) is that radiator condensor and power steering cooler lines are all in one big awkard assembly

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

FYI you absolutely dont need to take all of that stuff off of an E46 to do the cooling system. The mechanical fans are annoying if you dont have the special thin wrench and holder (and sometimes even if you do) but its no A4/Passat.

Speaking of, I actually really like how service mode works on VW/Audis...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ok I prolly couldve done this without pulling the bumper off but doing so did help.
Like the BMW the Benz has the radiator paired with the condenser, except it also has connected to it via brittle plastic clips, the ABC oil cooler, trans cooler, and power steering cooler. I was a little surprised to find "jesus" clips holding atf lines into the radiator. But they came out easy enough. New radiator came with fresh ones so loosing them for once wasnt a concern. Although I didnt so now I have extras.

I did break a total of 2 plastic clips but I think she will live.
Took me pretty much the whole 8 hour shift while helping customers to get er done.
Cars back to sort of driveable. Still has a failing coil. Restarting the engine seams to rid the missfire for a little bit.
Anyway I finally got into her a little bit besides the control arms which were cake. And it gave me some confidence to work on her. Although having her apart exposed so much poo poo that no normal car has it gave me a shudder. So much to go wrong.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 4, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
New day new bullshit. Lost a trim piece in the car wash.

80 bucks from MB. Parts guy had one on the shelf and said its a common problem.
Worst part is, stupid wash didnt even clean the car very well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

New day new bullshit. Lost a trim piece in the car wash.

80 bucks from MB. Parts guy had one on the shelf and said its a common problem.
Worst part is, stupid wash didnt even clean the car very well.

lmao, welcome to my world. All of mine fell off. Was able to save a few but lost one in the car wash. One side is more than the right by a few bucks.

Just got all of them back on a couple months ago.

edit: They will all go. FL car or another sunny state? Yours car is basically a clone of mine and now resides in the midwest. My indy body man said he has never seen something like this.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 4, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

lmao, welcome to my world. All of mine fell off. Was able to save a few but lost one in the car wash. One side is more than the right by a few bucks.

Just got all of them back on a couple months ago.

edit: They will all go. FL car or another sunny state? Yours car is basically a clone of mine and now resides in the midwest. My indy body man said he has never seen something like this.

Yea when the parts guy at the dealer told me how lovely they were attatched at the factory and just had them laying on his shelf I didnt feel so bad anymore. Did you glue them back in and if so what did you use?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wish I could tell you but had the work done. The shop ordered new front ones (the missing one, and the other side was rattling around while driving, wife got out of the car to rip it off at a stop light and bent the dang thing). So yeah, around $80 in parts per side and I think the left side was a few dollars more which made me chuckle. Because...why?

Anyways, guy used basically a pneumatic eraser type thing to get rid of the old adhesive (which is why I wasn't going to screw with it...was a mess), then sprayed an adhesive promoter, then told me he "re-taped" them.

So as far what re-taping means...not sure because while the place is fairly easy going on asking stupid questions it was one of those times of "yeah I would be bordering on obnoxious levels."

Even had to redo the mini front fender one as well. So that only leaves the driver front under the V12 untouched. Watching it like a hawk.

Speaking of the V12 emblem, missing the one "1" on the engine cover. Guess you can't source that emblem.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
If he retaped them he probably used some of that double sided 3M trim adhesive tape.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of the V12 emblem, missing the one "1" on the engine cover. Guess you can't source that emblem.

LOL same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I lost a drag race to my lube techs '18 335xi cause my damaged coil didnt like 5000 rippems in 92 degree ambient heat. Said gently caress it and shut down the left bank in 2nd. Prolly need to start saving money on a coilpack rebuild. All that said, gently caress are modern cars quick.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 14, 2019