Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's odd, IIRC the capacity is 9.5L so if you meant quarts it should actually be slightly underfilled by about half a quart. What does it say when you do the oil level on the dash?

And yeah, mine is black/black and it gets hot. Just wait until you see how worthless the rear defrost is if you ever have it frosted over.

It does get compliments. My favorite one was at a gas station. A lady who was in a Escalade walks over and looks at the badge and says "Wow, a S600. My husband owns a 760i. We need more V12s on the road." Or you get the random "does that really have a V12 under the hood?" and blow their mind by replying "yep, and two turbos."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like when I turn on the dynamic seats for the passenger and take curves. Had to replace the rear tires last week. That was a painful +700. Apparently an odd size.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I try not to abuse the seats. Nice thing about the fronts are it has a large removable cover in the back to get to stuff. Now if a bolster goes bad...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

bolind posted:

Speaking of 18 cylinders, I just learned that the owner of the mystery V10 S6 in the parking lot in our apartment complex is the same guy who owns the V8 650i... :stare:

Before I got my S600 I looked into getting a V10 S6. Can't remember why I dismissed it (and I looked up the $3,000 headers to make it sound like a Lambo) but I think it should have been quicker than what it was.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Knock on wood...I haven't had an issue in over a year and half after I got everything sorted. S class gets a bad rap, but that is mostly from the w220.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Do you mind if I dump a post for my weirdo S600 stuff? Don't want to overtake your thread my friend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Weird issue I have (besides the other one) is the AC won't kick in. I have it going into my indy Monday. Around 50% of the time it will fire off. I'm thinking it is probably a pound low or so not to tigger.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah. Got another issue. ABS light kicked on. Hopefully my DAS/STAR system still fires up. Hopefully just a wheel sensor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fired the old gal up. ABS light gone.

I'll probably dig into more over the weekend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh btw, how many miles on the pack? They crap out around 70,000.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably know this but there is the v12 coil guy that does a swap out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I haven't used him but heard he is reliable. Might as well do plugs "while" your in there. Got to love that there 12 on each side.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Finally got around to running DAS. It's been awhile. Fortunately laptop still worked with some futzing. Amazing what shows up with the "quick" test. You would think the car was ready to implode. :v:

Gave me sort of a clue to what triggered the ABS (which disappeared after second start). BAS, which is I'm assuming body angle sensor. Which makes sense given the first time it triggered was going over quite a steep rail road grade. Second time was cracking down a interstate on ramp and hitting a minor grade change.

Ahh the joys.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well back from the shop from looking at the AC. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

They ran a diag (which I did before). Guy brought out the printout which was 30 pages of fault codes (he told me 'we killed a tree') but they were mostly stored codes due to a bad a battery I replaced a few months back. So they sucked out the refrigerant, did a vacuum test then added the proper amount. Was around .7 lbs short so hopefully that takes care of the problem. Had to laugh when I saw where the high side fitting was. It is in front behind a plastic door. Then they did an adaptive procedure on the compressor and blend doors.

Next up, getting the lower side door exterior trim replaced that fell off. Somehow the left is $3 more than the right. Have to laugh.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well, if it ain't a bad misfire might not do much harm...but if gas isn't getting ignited it ends up in the cats and that's not good.

I'm not sure, but do the floor vents blow AC or only heat? I learned the car actually has two evaporator coils. Second on is under the armrest. I had no idea.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeehaw, chrome stripes back on.

Almost feels weird looking at it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Welp, took the S600 for a 750 mile road trip. Talk about a fiasco...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, about three hours in everything is going ok. This is around a 12 hour drive plus piss breaks, gas station, food etc.

The drat car went to hell after 3 hours. All ok now (no tow, back to normal) will write more after the return from vacation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Postmortem update.

1,600 miles.

Three hours in, car started to poo poo itself. ABS/ESP lights came on. Thought the road was rough but it kept getting worse. Like a washboard. Felt like it was going to fly apart. Pulled over in the middle of BFE. So here we are with a shitload of luggage on a Saturday morning wondering wth I'm going to do. Wife smells a burning smell on top of it.

So at first I was thinking a tire lost a belt or something. But what to do or how to salvage the vacation. I have AAA so thought get it back to the mileage limit and do a bunch of mental gymnastics swapping cars/rental yada yada yada you get the picture.

So caution be damned, restarted it and drove forward and instantly better. Smooth as hell. I was amazed. ABS light still on. ABS light has happened before, usually clears out after a cycle or two. So of course I'm somewhat stressed and paranoid as gently caress. Venture forward, all is fine. Burning smell/vibration we decided was attributed to the car doing something with the brakes such as pulsing them constantly at speed*.

After another couple of stops the ABS light cleared but the AC poo poo the bed. Of course it was hot and humid. Drive 10 minutes after a restart the AC kicks in. Both of us figured it was a combination of the heat and humidity going to hell with the sensors. It was fine the entire week we were there since it cooled down. Then of course the AC went to hell on the drive back.

tl;dr: Friends don't let friends buy an S class.

* Ran DAS when back home. Three wheel sensors created faults. Replacing all four. Also replacing blower motor. Less then $300 for it all and hopefully fixes this drat crap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What hose you talking about? There about a few of us on various sites dealing with coolant leaking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

New day new bullshit. Lost a trim piece in the car wash.

80 bucks from MB. Parts guy had one on the shelf and said its a common problem.
Worst part is, stupid wash didnt even clean the car very well.

lmao, welcome to my world. All of mine fell off. Was able to save a few but lost one in the car wash. One side is more than the right by a few bucks.

Just got all of them back on a couple months ago.

edit: They will all go. FL car or another sunny state? Yours car is basically a clone of mine and now resides in the midwest. My indy body man said he has never seen something like this.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wish I could tell you but had the work done. The shop ordered new front ones (the missing one, and the other side was rattling around while driving, wife got out of the car to rip it off at a stop light and bent the dang thing). So yeah, around $80 in parts per side and I think the left side was a few dollars more which made me chuckle. Because...why?

Anyways, guy used basically a pneumatic eraser type thing to get rid of the old adhesive (which is why I wasn't going to screw with it...was a mess), then sprayed an adhesive promoter, then told me he "re-taped" them.

So as far what re-taping means...not sure because while the place is fairly easy going on asking stupid questions it was one of those times of "yeah I would be bordering on obnoxious levels."

Even had to redo the mini front fender one as well. So that only leaves the driver front under the V12 untouched. Watching it like a hawk.

Speaking of the V12 emblem, missing the one "1" on the engine cover. Guess you can't source that emblem.