Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mokotow posted:

It's great and uses actual miniatures - I thought it's all (good) CGI and then the ending credits came.

If you look real close you can sometimes can spot a few 3D print layer lines in the extreme closeups:

... which probably wouldn't have been visible to the naked eye on the actual tiny models, shooting them that tightly in high def was pretty unfair :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Immersion destroyed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
S6 starts filming in January! :toot:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:stare:
Was not expecting a stop-motion reenactment of Lac-Mégantic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not officially announced but Vulture has announced that their source is saying next season will be the last for the show.
https://www.vulture.com/2023/12/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-season-six-ending.html

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm sad to see it end, but I think overall it had a very good run. It felt like the writers were struggling towards the last few seasons to land some of the bigger storylines.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Yeah time to get out while the gettings good. They recovered well after the nightclub season I wasn’t a fan of, but maybe 6 seasons the most you can get out of “what if Always Sunny but Vampires”.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Love the show, but yeah. I'm cool with it. Stick the landing, end on a high note.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the bad seasons are a necessary conceit in the thread but I don't personally feel that slump, fun jokes and gags throughout.

That said, having popped the cap on Gizmo vampirism I think it's an alright point to wind down. They got 6 seasons and a movie after all, just not in that order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved last season a bunch but yeah I am happy for them to wrap it up with one more season hopefully of a similar quality and then get out while everybody still holds a high opinion of the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think any sitcom should stick around for more than 6 seasons. Would love if the same creative team pivoted to We're Wolves after it's wrapped up, though.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Werewolves are not dope!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I guess this was the news Harvey Guillen was reacting to earlier on Instagram.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Six seasons and a movie!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chris Knight posted:

Six seasons and a movie!

I'd love a movie based off the show to end it :allears:

I'm sad to hear it's the last season, but I'm also glad they are leaving on their own terms before they run out of steam. I have never seen a show that is so consistently from the first episode to the last. Some people seem to not like some (all?) of season 4, but I don't think a single episode has been bad. But maybe that's a byproduct of me binging all 5 seasons at once since I hadn't seen it before. But I'm always so impressed by all the weird new ideas they manage come up with even after 5 seasons.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This show also introduced me to these actors - aside from Matt Berry and Mark Proksch, I did not know them before. It’s a bit unusual in that I know most of the secondary role actors but I never heard of Novak or Demetriou.

Excited to see what they go on to do next.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mokotow posted:

This show also introduced me to these actors - aside from Matt Berry and Mark Proksch, I did not know them before. It’s a bit unusual in that I know most of the secondary role actors but I never heard of Novak or Demetriou.

Excited to see what they go on to do next.

Go the other direction and watch Four Lions first

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seriously, watch Four Lions!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress mini-babybels. :colbert:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Rubber dinghy rapids bro!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I didn't know any of these people, Matt Berry included.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
More goons should watch Stath Lets Flats

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Open Source Idiom posted:

More goons should watch Stath Lets Flats

Seconded. Just watched the whole series myself and it’s great.

I’d also recommend Natasia (and Ellie)’s sketch show, which is quite surreal but had me unable to breathe with laughter at a few points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koObSBI7xI8

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

LividLiquid posted:

I didn't know any of these people, Matt Berry included.

I had seen him in Mighty Boosh and IT Crowd, but I had no idea what his name was before this show

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, anyone who hasn’t seen Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace should rectify that immediately, it’s almost a completely perfect show (and I only say almost because transphobic wanker Graham Linehan has a brief cameo in one episode).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Toast of London gets you the most Berry for your buck

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Asgerd posted:

Also, anyone who hasn’t seen Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace should rectify that immediately, it’s almost a completely perfect show (and I only say almost because transphobic wanker Graham Linehan has a brief cameo in one episode).

I mean, Richard Ayoade is in every episode, and he had this to say about Linehan's transphobia book: "Graham Linehan has long been one of my favourite writers — and this book shows that his brilliance in prose is equal to his brilliance as a screenwriter. It unfolds with the urgency of a Sam Fuller film: that of a man who has been through something that few have experienced but has managed to return, undaunted, to tell the tale."

I love Darkplace, but if I were going to give a warning about it, I wouldn't start with "and Glinner shows up once."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cool it Sanchez or you'll get a knuckle supper!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

I mean, Richard Ayoade is in every episode, and he had this to say about Linehan's transphobia book: "Graham Linehan has long been one of my favourite writers — and this book shows that his brilliance in prose is equal to his brilliance as a screenwriter. It unfolds with the urgency of a Sam Fuller film: that of a man who has been through something that few have experienced but has managed to return, undaunted, to tell the tale."

I love Darkplace, but if I were going to give a warning about it, I wouldn't start with "and Glinner shows up once."

Well, that’s disappointing!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Better to just avoid anything British if you don’t want to see a TERFy idiot.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Goddamn, I was looking forward to the Big Fat Quiz but not only is Ayoade a guest again, but other openly transphobic and glinehan-book-endorser Jonathan Ross apparently produces the thing.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Toast of London gets you the most Berry for your buck

The show is middling, but still delivers a solid dose of quality Berry content.

I watched Toast recently and then downloaded Snuff Box, which I haven't watched since it aired. I remember being a little disappointed by it, but haven't gotten around to rewatching it yet. Rich Fulcher is awesome too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Goddamn, I was looking forward to the Big Fat Quiz but not only is Ayoade a guest again, but other openly transphobic and glinehan-book-endorser Jonathan Ross apparently produces the thing.

Jonathan Ross started out as a duo with Russel Brand, poo poo runs deep with some of these guys

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Henchman of Santa posted:

Better to just avoid anything British if you don’t want to see a TERFy idiot.

Yeah, seriously. This island is a reactionary toilet.

There are nuggets of decency floating about, but it's mostly hateful poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snuff Box is fun because Berry and Fulcher were literally given a budget with zero oversight since the channel just needed something to fill a time slot.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, seriously. This island is a reactionary toilet.

There are nuggets of decency floating about, but it's mostly hateful poo poo

To provide something positive after bringing up the Ayoade thing, Matt Berry himself is one of the decent ones. He was asked in a Vulture interview, which I think is linked somewhere in this thread, about the transphobic episode of IT Crowd, said it sucked then and he wouldn't do it again, then at the end of the interview went back to it unprompted because he was worried he wasn't clear enough that he's not on board with either the episode or Linehan's views.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If this is going to be the last season, I demand a guest spot for Shazad Latif.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, he's a genuinely good lad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I always hope for Jamie Demeteriou to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

I had seen him in Mighty Boosh and IT Crowd, but I had no idea what his name was before this show
I tried watching the pilot of the IT Crowd, found it terribly unfunny, and now Glinner is trying as hard as he can to make my life worse, so I likely never will, but by all accounts Berry was loving fantastic in it, yeah?