Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was not expecting Doug Jones to show up, made my night.

I was really worried about this show when I saw the new cast, and later the new location, but that pilot was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never rewatch comedies but I did the pilot, and the quickcut to Nadja chasing Laszlo around with a sword screaming "I WILL KILL YOU" is a lot funnier knowing what she says about her beloved Gregor later.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That started out slow, but the last couple of scenes were amazing. I hope the entire first season is them trying various political machinations on the city council like it's 14th century Naples or some poo poo.

I thought Colin Robinson was kind of weak in the pilot tbh, but he was way better in this episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > What We Do in the Shadows "HUMAN FORM!"

I'm dead.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wow this whole time I assumed it was a White Strips or Jack White song. In fact I was sure I had heard it before on one of his albums and recognized it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
On paper, it should have been funnier if Colin was just a normal super irritating human who thought he was an energy vampire, just like on paper it should have been funnier if Nadja just kept picking random people (or horses) and thought they were Gregor. But this show instead took both literally and made it amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love this show

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I imagine the Barren is probably dead because this show doesn't have much budget and Doug Jones keeps winning awards and being amazing and probably isn't cheap.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A more concerning question: What exactly would he be pissing? Anything not blood that goes in seems to come out immediately.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo that episode. Someone needs to add all the cameos to the McMahon .gif, that's an accurate portrayal of me watching this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Between the tweet about episode 9 and then learning what the premise was, I think my expectations were too high for this episode. Still better than most TV but not one of the better WWDITS episodes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bring back old gbs posted:

he can go visit your lady wife!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Whalley posted:

Spoken like someone who hasn't lived somewhere with a shitload of geckos constantly chirping and screaming on their porch

How many of those Geckos are actually energy vampires who held a shamefully bad orgy?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My initial reaction was that Mark Hamill should play himself like all the other guest stars, but him playing a gruff old vampire hunter sounds amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Haley Joel Osment and Benedict Wong oh god this show is the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One of my favorite jokes from the movie was the "Leave me alone to do my dark bidding on the internet" sequence so this episode made me laugh quite a bit. The vampires misunderstanding technology will always be funny to me.

Yes, I know about the ether

Also requesting a gif of Guillermo's exit out of the vampire house.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

To be fair, to a person from hundreds of years ago (which Jim and Laszlo both are) that singing Bass really would be a mechanical miracle.

It reminds me of the best scene from that Netflix Dracula miniseries a few months ago, where Drac is looking around in amazement at a dumpy modern home after sleeping 100 years. The owner shrugs and says "It's a dump" and he's like "Bitch I've met ever ruler in Europe and every single one of them would literally kill to have a room like this."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chairman Capone posted:

This actually struck me for the first time during this episode's opening credits, they show the vampires all changing their clothing styles over the years but we only ever see them in their very Old World outfits on the show.

There's a quick shot in the open credits of them dressed as punks. It's pretty great.

Edit:

also this one

Which really begs the question just how long they've been in America.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 15, 2020

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I got some Innsmouth vibes from Carol.

I loved the Interview With The Vampire homage with the previously believed dead scarred vampire creepily playing the piano his Zune while explaining how he survived.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Finer Arts > TV IV >What We Do in the Shadows: "From Panera Bread you came, and to Panera Bread you shall return!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Colin Robinson is powerful and real and my friend

ColinRobinson is inside all of us.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kaedric posted:

Unrelated, but wow I'm a dumbo, I thought the end of the episode where the old man bats off was just the old man being a vampire the whole time and playing a silly trick on Nandor for the episode. I didn't think for a second that Nandor actually turned him.

That's what I thought at first too, but it makes more sense that Nandor did it off screen to appease Guillermo for a funny bait and switch gag, since the viewer was expecting him getting abandoned again.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kaincypher posted:

Fair enough, but considering the only other company Guillermo has is presumably the vampire trio, who are far more obnoxious or abusive than anybody else in his life. And to top it off, I'd say any port in a storm. He's not exactly flush with options. Although if they ever do a familiar version of Tinder/Grindr, that would be epic.

Familr.

(Contact me Waititi, we can work something out)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Everything about that was great, but I especially love all the Interview references.

That's quite a cliffhanger to end on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Excuse me but I’m pretty sure he was written to never relent. Relentless, you could say.