Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Get a steel mill up and exporting using only domestic raw materials. This is pretty hard (imho)

Or

Get a refinery up and running and export gas using tankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
5 year plans baby. "By such date our republic will be sufficient in food" or something

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

euphronius posted:

Get a steel mill up and exporting using only domestic raw materials. This is pretty hard (imho)

Or

Get a refinery up and running and export gas using tankers.

I would agree with this. Pick a full industry chain (Steel, oil, food, something like that) and get it fully autonomous from local raw material. Once you've done that, pick another one. Once you have a few set up, you'll have enough traffic that transport infrastructure becomes its own project to meet your industrial needs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, that helps. I was thinking of going for oil so I can get a better power plant running from that but I'm also pretty far from the border so I'll probably need trains sooner than later so maybe steel is the better option.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

What if I'm RPing a clueless city planner who has no idea what he's doing

This is basically what I am doing :v:

Several years in, I've made a small town of about 2000 happy people. Every time I think about actually making industry to export and make money I get side tracked. Currently working on running water, then I guess I'll work on sewage? Will probably need to cheat in some money by that point. I'm quickly going through my rubles.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Do people generally have one consolidated megapolis of several thousand people surrounded by all your industries, or have lots of little industry towns? If you do towns do you try to provide all services or just tell them to get hosed, they don't all need hospitals.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Where do I start with garbage processing? I have stands set up and garbage collection is going on but right now I'm just dumping it all in a dump on the edge of town that I'm getting increasingly more anxious about. I have pollution disabled so would an incinerator be enough to take care of it in the immediate future then get separation/recycling going later?

Edit: Oh yeah I love the old photos of eastern european towns during loading screens. Makes me realize just how drat accurate this game looks sometimes :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can export garbage

(And import it !!)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

euphronius posted:

You can export garbage

(And import it !!)

Well drat.. gonna need to work on that rail network next I think :sweatdrop:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

(And import it !!)

Found this out the hard way, wasn't paying attention when setting up a dump and I go back to it after awhile and it was 90% full of garbage. Whoopsie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You will need to sort your waste if you plan to incinerate it. Incineration only destroys some components of the waste, the remaining ash is comprised of remnants of the burned materials, which will decay away if you put it in a dump, and also the unburnable stuff, and no amount of incineration or waiting will get rid of that.

So you need to separate out your metals and construction waste before incinerating it, those can't be destroyed, only recycled or exported.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

An incinerator goes 90% of the way to being independent in garbage handling. Incinerators won’t handle construction waste or metal scrap, but everything else burns to mixed waste that is 100% Ash, which if stored in dumps, will disappear over time. I have 6 dumps that get filled with ash using a DO - spreading out the ash into multiple buildings makes it disappear a little faster. 6 is probably overkill but I’m hoping it’s future proof.

Honestly your biggest worry with garbage is getting it out of the city or industrial area. Mines produce a shitload of garbage, as does my aluminum factory. Those I have dedicated train service for and needed a dump pretty close to the producers themselves to keep up. Cities aren’t so terrible usually, but sometimes you forget a garbage stand or too many buildings hit one stand and it can back up. Separating your trash here is the only way to separate bio waste as far as I know, which you can use for fertilizer. You can also pull out most of the metal scrap you’ll produce as trash at stands, such that you don’t have to worry about general separation before the incinerator.

I have a full recycling set up and honestly it doesn’t feel worth the trickle of resources it provides. I may return everyone to not sorting their trash and just burn it since once you start sorting it increases the amount of truck trips to stands quite a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have not played in a few months but I highly recommend getting the modded “garbage skiff” truck and using that

From what I remember the vanilla garbage trucks are unreasonably small

Also be aware the game uses the same terms for different parts of the garbage stream which makes things really confusing - unless they recently fixed it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did find it necessary for even quite small cities to have a dedicated train facility for getting garbage out. Because yeah the vanilla garbage trucks carry very little of it and will immediately block your border stations if you try to use them.

Loading the trains is also very slow so I would recommend a fairly long rail spur and a dedicated line so they can just sit in the loading facility and soak up garbage until they're full.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Followup question re: garbage collection; forklifts don't seem to be able to move garbage between factory connections (which makes sense) so what is the point of having a factory connection to a dump? Is there a different type of forklift that unlocks later that lets me move stuff around? I basically built a rail dump with claw next to my original dump and wanted to move stuff across the factory connection to the one with the rail connection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Factory connections between different garbage handling entities allow them to output or potentially draw from the connected elements, because you can make the factory connections one way.

It's... finnicky, but some things you will find will only work if you set them up that way because the same "garbage" can conceivably be both consumed by and produced by a building. A metal sorter will accept mixed waste, sort the metal out, and then output mixed waste, so you need some way to determine which storage should be the input and which should be the output.

As with all factory connections, you don't need forklifts to make them work if you direct connect the right elements. A factory can be direct connected to a storage and it will just link them together. Same with cargo stations which basically just add extra docks for vehicles, including types the building might not natively have. You can also daisy chain factory to storage to cargo station, they can only directly transfer to adjacent elements, i.e the cargo station cannot draw or give directly to the factory, but the factory can give/draw from the storage and that in turn can give/draw to the cargo station.

Factories can also be daisy chained, the electronics and nuclear refining paths are good candidates for this, as with some fiddling you can get a lot of them connected to the same storage, creating a multi-step processing facility which you basically shovel stuff into one end and get the finished goods out at the other, or possiby even from the same warehouse.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 29, 2024

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

An incinerator goes 90% of the way to being independent in garbage handling. Incinerators won’t handle construction waste or metal scrap, but everything else burns to mixed waste that is 100% Ash, which if stored in dumps, will disappear over time.

Do metal scrap, aluminum scrap, and construction waste stay intact as components of the mixed waste that gets output from the incinerator? If so then it seems like an efficient waste processing approach would be to only separate out bio waste and plastic waste at the collection bins, incinerate all the mixed waste, and then run the ash through the separation facilities to extract the metal. Right now I have my incinerator as the last step in the chain and the overall throughput will eventually get limited by the earlier metal separation steps, since those have to process a lot of mixed waste that will eventually just get burned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do it in any order yeah, though if you do separation with the ash you are still going to be sifting through a lot of ash because what incineration mostly does is turn the burnable portion of the waste into ash which can then degrade when scattered into dumps.

So what you would optimally need to do is burn it, leave it for a bit in a dump, then sort it once it's stabilized in volume. But that's hard to automate and also involves re-loading the waste from the dump which is very slow. So for ease of processing steps, pre-sorting can be easier because then you know all your ash should be degradable and you don't have to deal with loading-from-dumps which is agonizingly slow.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

Turns out that I can make money converting dollars to rubles by buying new Western vehicles at the blue custom house and then carting them over on flatbed railcars to the Soviet custom house to sell them at a big profit. I haven't dug around for a spreadsheet but Western vehicles all seem to be valued at a 2.5:1 ruble/dollar ratio or better, so I seem to be better off selling my bread to the West and using the dollars for this weird arbitrage scheme rather than selling directly to the Soviets. The main annoying thing is I don't think I can automate buying the vehicles.

As a follow-up after trying this for a while, it's better to buy new Western railcars and immediately ferry them over and sell them at Soviet customs. The boxcar that's available right now (1972) converts at 2.7 rubles per dollar, which is more than the vehicles I've tried so far. This also doesn't conflict with importing Western vehicles for my own use, which is simpler to manage.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You can do it in any order yeah, though if you do separation with the ash you are still going to be sifting through a lot of ash because what incineration mostly does is turn the burnable portion of the waste into ash which can then degrade when scattered into dumps.

So what you would optimally need to do is burn it, leave it for a bit in a dump, then sort it once it's stabilized in volume. But that's hard to automate and also involves re-loading the waste from the dump which is very slow. So for ease of processing steps, pre-sorting can be easier because then you know all your ash should be degradable and you don't have to deal with loading-from-dumps which is agonizingly slow.

Oh neat, I should experiment with that a bit. Is this using the claw-machine dumps? I know loading from those is faster than the regular "pile of stuff" dump.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are a bit faster but still not great. Plus they're more expensive to build so if you take into account the extra loading work and setup costs you might as well just build another pre-sorter.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Behold, soviet science has created a new method of public transport!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't be the only one who walks around humming the music to this game at basically all hours of the day when I am actively playing it, right? I usually play these games with the music off because I'm watching something on my other monitor or listening to a podcast but god drat the music in this game is catchy and deserves to be listened to while playing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

I can't be the only one who walks around humming the music to this game at basically all hours of the day when I am actively playing it, right? I usually play these games with the music off because I'm watching something on my other monitor or listening to a podcast but god drat the music in this game is catchy and deserves to be listened to while playing.

It rules and I go through periods of leaving it on or alternating my own background/ambient music. I used to listen to this channel a lot, which I think is mostly modern/current ambient music that has a vaguely soviet "theme" to it. https://www.youtube.com/@NewSovietWave

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is there a way for buildings to get rebuilt automatically after they collapse from earthquake? They turn to rubble, demolition office clears the site, and building is there ready to be built, but construction is suspended be default (this wouldn't be that bad if there was some icon over it signaling this), and "notify when demolition is done" doesn't notify here, only when doing actual demolition.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

"Russian Post Punk" is also a good genre if you want a more melancholy vibe. Or go straight to the source and listen to Kino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQcRyOBmzw

As a rule any group that has black and white brutalist buildings on the album cover is going to be perfect for W&R

The album "The End of Electronics" by Sierpien is my absolute favorite for this. Just look at the album cover, its pure W&R.

Also, Molchat Doma

The General
Mar 4, 2007

New update has slightly corrupted my game. Every now and then I get an alert about a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, where reality splits into two.

Doesn't seem to effect anything else, so I'm pushing on. Almost broke though, and I think I want to generate a map with a little more terrain features. So it's not a big deal anyways.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

explosivo posted:

It's a catchy tune. It gets to be extra catchy because it's the same tune or two that you get to try out in rural folk, urban folk, dance, 60s muzak, 70s muzak, march, electropop, parade march, anthem, ... versions and usually with those rearrangements then used as the base for a subsequent rearrangement into the other categories.

Not complaining, this is basically how FF6's soundtrack is so iconic too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The General posted:

New update has slightly corrupted my game. Every now and then I get an alert about a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, where reality splits into two.

Doesn't seem to effect anything else, so I'm pushing on. Almost broke though, and I think I want to generate a map with a little more terrain features. So it's not a big deal anyways.

Weird one! The only time I get bogus traffic jam things are either sometimes upon game load or when I lose electricity, trams sometimes like to shoot underground. The other is sometimes during deconstruction, but I think they’ve fixed most of these. I don’t auto gen maps so I wonder if something broke with that.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjE8LKSTe8

This song should play on repeat if you make the mistake of distributing cars.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Polikarpov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjE8LKSTe8

This song should play on repeat if you make the mistake of distributing cars.

What a banger.

Polikarpov posted:

Also, Molchat Doma

I wonder how many English speakers have listened to "Sudno" and said like I did, "What a bop, I wonder what the lyrics say- :stare:"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm trying psuedo-realistic mode right now. Got a farm running near the border with no citizens so far. Kinda feel like I might just keep it rolling this way for a while, citizens just poop and complain.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I wonder how many English speakers have listened to "Sudno" and said like I did, "What a bop, I wonder what the lyrics say- :stare:"

If it's from Eastern Europe I just assume it's either the most depressing thing I've ever heard, an incredibly philosophical meditation on the human condition or both.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do people generally have one consolidated megapolis of several thousand people surrounded by all your industries, or have lots of little industry towns? If you do towns do you try to provide all services or just tell them to get hosed, they don't all need hospitals.

I have lots of smaller towns scattered across the map, and the way I handle services is that I have a couple of large central cities that have all of them, and the smaller outlying towns have small basic services locally and commuter train/tram lines to the big city for access to bigger stuff.

This is not a perfect solution but it's less resource-hungry than putting a full-sized hospital (and the additional infrastructure needed to keep another residential building full of doctors there) in every little village of a hundred people.

I play on self-imposed pseudo-realistic mode (initial construction/resource storage infrastructure on the border and initial vehicle fleet insta-built, then everything else built manually; all vehicles and resources must be purchased at or near the border and then shipped to their final destination), and strongly prefer maps where resources are widely scattered and relatively difficult to get to, which incentivizes spread out development instead of making the republic one giant city-state. In particular I really dislike when maps have all of a resource concentrated in one place, like there's exactly one place on the map where coal is or one place where bauxite is, or have the coal and iron right next to each other, because this means you can just concentrate all the mining and refining infrastructure in one place and not have to worry about how to move that stuff around the map.

This also means that I need infrastructure connecting all those towns - roads, rails, pipelines, power lines, switches and transformers - and those need periodic maintenance and fire protection, and they also need construction offices to build them in the first place. Just chaining the construction offices together gives me a good incentive to build little chains of towns along the route, to shorten driving time for the construction laborer buses and concrete trucks - and once everything is built I still need a few people to staff rural fire departments. Those firemen then need some basic services and the village needs people to staff those, and before you know it you've got a small town going.

I really do not like that fully-mechanized farms require literally zero workers, it is really weird that you can make these giant swathes of farmland completely devoid of human population which thus eliminate one of the main reasons rural communities exist in real life. For that matter you need no truck drivers, garbage collectors, gas station employees, snowplow drivers, bus drivers, etc., which makes it totally feasible to have most of your rural infrastructure unmanned.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PerniciousKnid posted:

My last run broke down because of garbage management being incredibly opaque (and train issues that ASA probably diagnosed correctly, but I haven't revisited to find out), but I went with one "main" border city and several industrial cities. Off hand, the breakdown was something like:

• Border city for construction, research, and initial clothing exports for profitability
  • Oil refinery city, which got big enough to supply some coal mining on its other end and the first power station
  • Steel mill city, also supplying the second power station and iron mining
  • Second small construction town once I branched far enough to start having issues with buses reaching in time; also provided fire services for my automated farm complexes and main storage depot
  • Rail construction town, just a small enclave
  • Automotive manufacturing town - this one wasn't finished because the garbage death spiral started right about here

Each one gets all the basic services at minimum - kindergarten, school, hospital, fire station, police station, culture buildings, etc. Cities received universities, with the big ones limited to the border city and the oil city due to space constraints. Garbage was set up via rail linked dumps with each city having its own, and each town being linked into the nearest city's if I couldn't route the rail for a dump successfully. Didn't fully understand garbage management so I was exporting everything to the border until near the end, when I set up incinerators to help manage the flow.

I like the separate cities more than I do one big mass of expansion, and the maps I tend to play have terrain that encourages that. Unfortunately, they're hell for garbage management. But garbage management is always hell.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Each one gets all the basic services at minimum - kindergarten, school, hospital

These are the absolute minimum required to start anything. In my first attempts I put some housing up near my power plant to have a steady stream of workers for it and it didn't take too long before they were all unable to work due to having children, being too dumb or being sick.

Edit: And also a shopping center. I am sure they'd be too naked and hungry to work in no time without one of those.

The General fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 31, 2024

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
How do kindergartens work with regard to transport? Do they always have to be within walking distance of home, or can the kids commute as students? I've never thought to test it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How the heck do I build a sewage discharge? It says some has to be in the water, and some on land. No matter how I angle it it's never correct.

Edit: Or deal with sewage in general? I've got it going to a treatment plant, and since I can't seem to build a discharge station I went for a loading/unloading station, but the technical office doesn't unload it?
Edit 2: Figured it out. Technical offices don't do it. Need to set a line from a vehicle depot. My bad.

The General fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2024

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Babies don't commute, so kindergartens need to be within walking distance to housing. Once they're school aged then you can thrown them onto a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The General posted:

How the heck do I build a sewage discharge? It says some has to be in the water, and some on land. No matter how I angle it it's never correct.

They're impossible to build and anyone who says they've built one is lying.

They're very finicky and you're probably not doing anything wrong except that you need a smoother beach or a sharper drop to build on.