Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought this game after basically falling in love while playing the basically useless tutorials :v:

Started a new game since my demo save didn't appear to transfer over. I forgot to check for imported power before starting to build and there is none close to me :negative:

So I've been playing it as idler as I slowly figure out everything that needs to be done for getting a coal powerplant up and running. I am getting close Real Close™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Power has been turned on :toot: Proof of concept complete. The only thing I had to google was the existence of technical offices because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to transport water. Why can't we just use oil trucks? They hold liquid and it's not like I'm drinking the water. Took me awhile to reason out that I couldn't just have undocumented people hanging out at the borders working in my power plant. I am very security conscious.

So I've got a flat of 31 people and boy are they full of complaints. "My kids can't go to school so I can't work. I'm bored, I'm hungry, the powerplant ate my pants and I can't buy more." :rolleyes:

I guess the next steps are building a real area for people to live away from the smog factory. Though still giving these ones a walmart and a Lenin to stare at them while they sleep.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You absolutely can have randos hanging out at the border working in any industry, just gotta bus em over.

No idea how to get them to the power plant then?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Thank for for the hot bus tips. I didn't consider the vehicle depot :negative: Now my power and heat is mostly sustained :toot:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there a trick to making custom key bindings save?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just want right click to be freelook and not MMB. MMB was a mistake :colbert:

Edit: I can change it in the settings, but it resets to default every time I exit the game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Everybody left after a bad winter and spotty heating. Probably for the best, everything is a fiasco :v:

I now have a better idea of how things work, and maybe next time I can keep things organized. (lol yeah right)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there some trick with kindergartens? This set of flats just refuse to go over there.

edit: They seem to have figured it out. Just took them a very long time.

The General fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 24, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

As my edit says, looks like they eventually figured it out. Though seems to be always 1 or 2 using it an excuse to just not work :v:

May have been an instability issue with slightly understaffed. This is my second attempt at populating the area, first time I definitely did not have enough educated people and it was a fiasco. I really lucked out, my last autosave was right before I mashed the buttons to let the people in.

The General fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 24, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

What if I'm RPing a clueless city planner who has no idea what he's doing

This is basically what I am doing :v:

Several years in, I've made a small town of about 2000 happy people. Every time I think about actually making industry to export and make money I get side tracked. Currently working on running water, then I guess I'll work on sewage? Will probably need to cheat in some money by that point. I'm quickly going through my rubles.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

(And import it !!)

Found this out the hard way, wasn't paying attention when setting up a dump and I go back to it after awhile and it was 90% full of garbage. Whoopsie.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

New update has slightly corrupted my game. Every now and then I get an alert about a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, where reality splits into two.

Doesn't seem to effect anything else, so I'm pushing on. Almost broke though, and I think I want to generate a map with a little more terrain features. So it's not a big deal anyways.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Each one gets all the basic services at minimum - kindergarten, school, hospital

These are the absolute minimum required to start anything. In my first attempts I put some housing up near my power plant to have a steady stream of workers for it and it didn't take too long before they were all unable to work due to having children, being too dumb or being sick.

Edit: And also a shopping center. I am sure they'd be too naked and hungry to work in no time without one of those.

The General fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 31, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How the heck do I build a sewage discharge? It says some has to be in the water, and some on land. No matter how I angle it it's never correct.

Edit: Or deal with sewage in general? I've got it going to a treatment plant, and since I can't seem to build a discharge station I went for a loading/unloading station, but the technical office doesn't unload it?
Edit 2: Figured it out. Technical offices don't do it. Need to set a line from a vehicle depot. My bad.

The General fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Criminals don't need sanitation/supplies. And we've made not having parents a crime soo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I only get the city builder itch every now and then. I'll be back.