Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

So I have an electrified train that has gone into a customs office, but apparently the customs rail isn't electrified even though the model has the overhead wire supports? So now my train is stuck there. Anyone know how to deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The Locator posted:

Bribe the customs officer to release your train. :v:

Lol I need to free the train precisely because it is my only means of making more than the pittance I currently make through selling electricity.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Government Handjob posted:

Are you sure its the track by the customs office and not a signal error further down the line? Or the line not properly connecting to where the train wants to go?

It’s a single line with no other trains on it. Plus the train has a lightning bolt above it. I suspect this map is cursed though because I just realised that there are no villages or roads except for what I’ve laid, and then the customs offices.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

You guys do know you can take out loans right?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Loans? Deficit Spending?

Sounds like capitalism....

A capitalist would sell you the noose with which he is to be hanged. So it stands to reason a capitalist would lend you money to build communism.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Yessss

Now just make it so that vehicles depart instead of being bound by a drip-feed of resources!

Christ loving this please.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

By far and away the best advice I can give to anyone regarding trains is to give them way more space than you're anticipating you/they will need. Both in terms of length of track available, and also the space you leave for the physical placement of the track.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Wow wind power sure sucks dick huh.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Someone please explain to me how to load aluminium oxide onto a ship.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume you would need an aggregate loading dock?

E: wait no oxide is apparently cargo harbour.

E2: ah I see because it's dry bulk storage and there is no dedicated dry bulk connection to the cargo harbour. I think you will have to load it in via truck then.

Herein lies the issue. Cargo harbour, cargo ship, but trucks refuse to take the aluminium oxide from the silo in my town to the ship.

No idea how to make this port take the dry bulk conveyors or to actually get the trucks to dump the stuff "manually".

Edit: I'll be honest I'm going to be pretty pissed if there's no way to load the oxide onto the ship because then I'll have to either build an aggregate port or complete the aluminium plant that's 0% complete. I needed to export the oxide as a stopgap until I can afford to actually finish the aluminium plant.

Firos fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2021

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah you can't connect dry bulk to the harbour because there is only the cargo harbour and the aggregate harbour and for some weird reason aggregate and dry bulk are entirely separate? And there is no harbour that can take a dry bulk connection.

I would guess you would need to tell trucks to drive to the harbour and try to unload and also tick the "wait until unloaded" box because there is no storage capacity at the harbour (because you can't connect it to anything that can store dry bulk) which might in fact make it impossible for them to accept that order.

If so I think it might just be impossible, and you would have to export it as bauxite. Which is quite a decent money maker I will say.

Yes but oxide is worth about 7-8x what bauxite is so this is extremely annoying.

Edit: It turns out that the issue was with distribution offices. For some reason they don't like the port but if I put the trucks on a manual route they'll load onto the ship.

This game is so janky lmao.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I have bought and trial set up an order here so it looks like it should accept the order at least? The issue is that you have to unload directly from the truck and there will be no buffer at the harbour so it will probably be very slow.

What happens if you set up your trucks to unload like this at the harbour? Do they drive there and sit in the loading bay?

Success :toot:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Is W&R actually just an op to condition us against the excesses of Western lifestyles?

Communism is good op.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

Yep, I think I linked a Steam guide earlier that listed the common restrictions but it boils down to playing on the hardest difficulty and then not auto-importing anything past your starting area.

The real challenge of cosmonaut mode is the absolutely dogshit throughput of customs houses.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The biggest loving change in all of this is multiple vehicles being able to enter a building at once holy gently caress.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

The good news is that mods can actually fix this to some extent:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2054932644

I'm never going back after downloading this version of the gravel processing plant, artificially choked throughput sucks.

Sadly as far as I'm aware there's no fix for the customs houses on the edge of the map.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The really great thing about this game is that it has only further radicalised me about how loving stupid cars are and how trains are one of mankind's greatest creations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Those are incredible. Might have to fire up a new map soon with all these good mods and changes.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I just wish you could signal snapped rails properly/easily.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Under Mixed signals, there's a Double Semaphore option.

Lol, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The short depot allows a maximum length of 150m and I use that as my measuring stick for signals and things. I’ve never found a reason for a longer train that wasn’t better met by just running multiple trains.

Long trains look cool as gently caress.