Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
is there any way to limit the number of people waiting at stops? I started using cableways, and they're awesome, but 4x as many people are waiting at the stops than the line is capable of moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just learned you can use cable car stations as bus stops. This... solves a lot of problems I was having.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You can have busses pick people up from them I meant. Any time I build a cableway workers seem to prioritize it over the bus station right next door, so my solution was to set the cableway as a source of passengers. Cableways aren't capable of keeping up with the throughput of people waiting at them, so having busses steal from the waiting worker pool doesn't matter.

Also having used both light and heavy cablways now... I think light might be better? Heavies are significantly slower and space the cars out by a lot, and the increased passenger space (12 total) doesn't seem to make up for it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You would think this would be simple to remember and notice but it always happens.

Worse, I have a friend, born and lived in the US and has now been in the UK for about a year. He plays and is absolutely constantly mentally screwing up the signals and his brain isn't tuned enough to right-hand drive that he can stare right at the problem signal and not notice it. I feel for him.

Wait... the signals in this game are right hand drive? gently caress.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Who ever said tourism was free money wasn't kidding. I built two mountain hotels with a restaurant, a carousel, and a pool and I'm netting 100k a month without expending any resources. I have no idea how they're going to balance this.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Aha! AHA! It was a bug after all, not a flaw in the design!!

I had this issue at every station, bridge, and fueling station to the point that I stopped using signals and just gave every train their own track. Thank Christ it's fixed.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I use trams and have a single passenger van running from the tram station to the plant for emergencies like that

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The border power hookups really need an automatic sell excess/import defecit option.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
This is the first game I've seen where the community goes "man it would be cool if [thing]" and the devs go "Yeah! That would be cool! Lets do it!"

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Leveling everything before you build a huge industrial park is realistic, though. I just wish they'd make it faster so I didn't have to sit there holding the left mouse button for 10 minutes to do it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I also went on a mod-testing-fest and added some military APC looking vehicles that have a bulldozer variant that are basically cheating. While I normally try to avoid things like that that unbalance the vanilla experience, this was an area where I didn't mind.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009344788

Absolutely don't use these for snowplows or anything on the road unless you are absolutely flush with fuel. They are so fuel inefficient that they will literally bankrupt you.

I actually have that- are they better at leveling?

I knew more bulldozers = faster leveling, but I didn't consider they had stats that made one better than another.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is it possible to do hard cosmonaut without mods for the smaller factories? I tried today and just barely got to autarky before I ran out of money, and I was using said mods.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Cosmonaut is import everything at the map edge or produce domestically isn't it?

Oh. I was just doing the second part.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Can you even do that? You would need to basically start the game completed surely? Like that's the game is setting up all the industries isn't it and you can't even build things like power lines without electrical parts.

Oh, woops, I thought cosmonaut just meant get self-sufficiency up and running before you run out of starter cash and by not purchasing any buildings except the starter construction buildings. I was auto-purchasing fuel enough materials to get started.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I play the game on the hardest settings but always have fires turned off. It's annoying and I wish you only got popups if there was no trucks responding to the fire or something.

I don't mind the crime stuff, but I really hope it's something that you don't have to worry about until you reach a certain size. You already have to throw down a dozen utility buildings at the very start so your citizens don't die or escape immediately, we don't really need more.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I started a new semi-cosmonaut game for the patch (I say semi because I'm playing on an island map so I cheated and auto-bought fuel until I was self sufficiently able to make it), and the new stuff is nice. Underground pipes require more gravel and labor the deeper they are, and construction and distribution offices seem to be behaving a lot more intelligently. Haven't gotten to helicopters yet!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
One bad thing (maybe a bug?) about the beta patch seems to be that asphalt roads now take as long as railroads to build. Only a single piece of equipment can be assigned no matter the size, so stretches of highways take years to build.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Why not simply airlift the cement truck?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The functionality of a power building that requires no manpower is gonna make it great for mods- all of the existing RTG and wind turbine mods required workers.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I think the idea is that normal powerplants only run when power is needed on the grid, so you just have a coal plant or something to pick up the slack. The question is, is the pollution proportional to how much the plant actually runs?

I feel like they quietly made pollution matter more this patch. It doesn't seem like you can plop housing blocks next to a refinery and just offset it with a hospital anymore.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I put 20 years into a new game before realizing I'm going to have to restart. You really, really have to worry about pollution now. It used to be as long as you had enough hospital slots to heal people the birth rate would overcome the death rate, but that isn't the case anymore and you'll constantly have to dump new people into heavily polluted living areas which hampers your overall growth.

Gone are the days of building a town next to a refinery.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Anyone got an idiot guide on How to Ship? specifically, how do i sell newly built ships, and how do i actually use them to export stuff down river? like, where do i click, that level of hand holding

To sell a ship, have it go to the beyond the border with no return order. It will sell itself when it gets there. This is true for all vehicles afaik.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm kinda disappointed that development has slowed down, it was cool to have a new reason to play the game every month. It seems like it's because they're actually developing towards a goal now instead of just adding whatever seems cool at the time, so it's a good thing in the long run.

I'm really excited for the integrated modding tools and scripting, I suspect in a year this game is gonna be at Rimworld levels of modding customization.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The old trello roadmap had production chains for bicycles, pharmaceuticals, books and newspapers (stemming from a paper industry), and furniture. I'm sure they'll add at least a couple of those in once they have the loyalty mechanics hammered out.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The loyalty system seems ultimately pretty worthless, as if you are able to provide everything for everyone and put monuments up you'll be at 80%+ across your nation. For me it didn't really even give a reason to build cars, as I have way more people than I can ever house so that last 20% to prevent the negligible amount of escapes every month isn't even worth it.

Crime is probably gonna be the same way, buy X and Y building and it won't be an issue beyond a small drain on manpower. I'm not really sure how you'd make it more interesting though.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I would fix it by quadrupling the amount of consumer goods, and everything but basic food would be optional but provide a boost to loyalty. A quarter of the goods would only be produced in the West and have to be imported. This could then be tied into the crime system, where the fewer goods you provide (especially western goods) the more crime you have representing black markets. Then use the world events system to create embargoes and supply chain issues that you have to plan for... and you've got more of an actual game.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The best part about this patch is that signal logic works pretty well now. You can slap down signals in a way that makes sense at a glance and the trains will figure it out. You can get more efficient with signal chains and stuff but you don't have to.

Previously I'd meticulously lay it all out following logic guides and I'd still have to manually unfuck trains constantly.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The last patch did something that changed loyalty a lot, my 80% baseline dropped to 50%. My schools that require 80% loyalty are still getting staffed, so I'm not really sure what is going on.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I built a huge college in the middle of my map with dorms and commuter trains running to my cities, but nobody will move into the dorms. The college is fully staffed and is full of students from the trains, but nobody wants to live on campus.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I love that they're making it more complex with more simulated systems, but it kind of worries me in that you already need a huge amount of infrastructure to get off the ground. I continue to wish that different things were only needed at a certain population or tech level or something. At this point I unabashedly use the military tent mod to fill in gaps while I'm building new areas, as it's a bit silly that people are fleeing the county because the apartment building they moved into in the middle of nowhere isn't within walking distance of a movie theater.

I used to not provide my citizens with electronics until I could produce them myself, but I can't even do that anymore because I lose out on propaganda from radio.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I don't think it will be bad actually. I said it before, but they've really fixed signals and train logic in the test branch. You can pretty much just lazily throw down signals at every intersection now and the trains will figure it out.

I will actually use trains a lot more now too since I won't need a dedicated train for every line.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I always throw down a helicopter office as soon as I am self-sufficient on fuel, which is usually the first industry I do after steel anyway. If the fuel is free they're absolutely worth the speed boost in construction.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I keep giving up on early starts because it just takes so long. This game desperately needs like 3 more levels of fast forward. Does anyone actually play on any settings other than paused and 3x?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We need to see the line orders for your busses.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I have the quarry and gravel mill with conveyors because having the most-used resource in the game be gated behind how fast trucks can unload is dumb as hell. Games takes long enough to play as it is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You can keep it around 40% if you maximize monuments which seems to be enough to prevent escapes. Kind of throws things off for early starts though.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Tell you how loyal your populace is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I use the small steel mill, small coal plant, and small refinery mods for my cosmonaut starts. This typically lets me supply them on non-optimum resource deposits that are close together so I don't need to be shipping stuff across the map early on. When I'm self sufficient, I build the large versions and cities supporting them closer to the rich deposits.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Snapping is so big that I've been holding off on playing until it was released. Like seriously, probably half my time spent in this game previously was just trying to get stuff to line up correctly. This is a literal game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I still don't really understand heating and just keep piping more in until the numbers are good. I'm a bit worried water is gonna work the same way.