Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I would also recommend having a small aggregate storage between the gravel plant and the gravel consumers to act as a resource buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
In our glorious republic the Steel Mill is in walking distance from the worker's homes!

In unrelated news my population is dropping like a stone since the update, I guess the government loyalty mechanic does not play nice with old saves?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, I am not looking forward to water supply and garbage collection being added for that reason. Some of it can be turned off, yes, but government loyalty for example can not (and thus requires electronics and media stations in a timely fashion).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I am really not a fan of the gravel industry implementation. You end up being massively throughput limited simply because you can not physically shove trucks into the plant fast enough to actually keep production up near maximum values and are thus having a plant that is idle about 1/3rd of the time. Also sometimes the bus carrying the workers gets stuck in the traffic jam of the trucks waiting to be unloaded because there are no workers and that's always awkward.

Also I will bat for fabric --> clothes as a good starting industry. You don't need research, you turn a tidy profit even with all imported base resources, backfilling to grow your own crops is also simple, clothes fill a need of your population and fetch a good price. And over time you can build up a chemical industry to reduce input costs there (although frankly the vanilla chemicals plant is far too weak to actually be able to meet demands given how much chemicals you need everywhere).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it will.

I am very certain it doesn't. CO Busses will drop off workers to build roads when assigned, but otherwise people are perfectly happy looking at a pile of gravel where a road should be and going "not my problem"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I would assume that it might also be using prefab panels instead of full-on concrete, and would thus allow you to build tier 3 roads (tier 2.5?) without specialized equipment like pavers and rollers (open hull + crane might be enough)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

you cant copyright game mechanics anyway. what a loving loser.

This, and I doubt that this is the first person who wrote to steam because the devs "stole" their idea. I think the game is relatively safe, but then again Valve's developer support is also not great.

Also the idea is just "don't push these buttons", the actual game mode does a bunch of poo poo in the codebase that was not part of the idea.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I thought the devs already said they were going to credit him once the game released? Sounds like he is claiming as a victory what the devs had already said what they were going to do (and which, again, they were under no legal obligation to do).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Also I found out you can use q and e to raise/lower underground utilities, like you can with bridges. This is explained exactly nowhere. So you can absolutely have stuff criss-cross underground.

Also works with tunnels!

Anyway, I'm usually not playing with water because it is really just a tax on services to get a new city up and running. If you could irrigate your farms to increase yield it might make sense, but as it stands it's just one more thing after you already set up electricity and heat and food and basic consumer goods. It sounds like garbage might have more of an impact, like using organic waste to fertilize your fields. Maybe that will open the way towards having artificial fertilizer.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Log082 posted:

I've actually tried to work out where containers would make sense, and as far as I can tell, they don't. You need a special packing/unpacking facility and loading/unloading times are never really a problem in this game, which is what makes containers actually useful in real life shipping. I haven't actually used them, so maybe I'm missing something, though.

They don't make sense for intra-republic transport (beyond some vague ability to standardize on flatbed trucks and railcars isntead of having to use them in conjunction with covered vehicles for some goods), but I have found them useful for export play. Especially if you can truck a bunch of resources to a central-ish container packing site. I noticed a significant uptick in export value once I shifted to using containers, but that may well have been just the added hauling capacity.

I am always surprised when people mention that they export aggregates. They seem so cheap to me, and the bulk does not make up for it. There is an opportunity cost as well as a very real fuel cost to shipping stuff around, even on electrical vehicles.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a big producer you can make a decent little chunk of money with them. It's not a lot but if you already have the infrastructure you might as well use it. 600t of gravel will sell for about 20k in the late 80's and you can ship it around by train very cheaply. Almost anything you export a boatful of will be worth it just through sheer volume.

I get that, but 20k in the 80ies is, like, a single truck load of electronics. Now, electronics sit at the end of a very complex production chain, which gravel generally does not, but if you want to maximize export value aggregates seem like a terrible idea.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My idea for how I'll run containerized export in my current save is similar, basically. There will be a containerizing facility near to the production area and I'll use distro offices to shuttle only 'overflow' goods (so, over 80% of some storage) to the container facility, and from there it'll go to rail and ship, or truck and ship if the volume is low enough. It'll just kind of set up a nice system where if its in a container, its being sold.

I have no idea why I would ever unpack anything, personally, unless its some weird edge case of buying containers from the borders to speed up loading?

I guess there is a usecase if you want to use a containership to bring back raw materials on the return trip to feed industries?

I wish there was a way to prioritize tasks in a DO, so I could say "Ship this steel to the mechanical components plant, export via customs house if storage is above 80%" on a single DO.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Electricity is a very opaque system and I wish there was some better tools to understand what is actually going on. Do powerplants just create electricity "pressure" with brownouts if the pressure drops too low? Why does electricity at a substation/switch sometimes seem to fluctuate wildly within seconds while production in all powerplants is stable?

Should one just build local, separated networks around one powerplant instead of trying to build an integrated grid?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the idea that I need research for distribution offices and steel production considering how vital those end up being for getting your republic off the ground.

I do however like the sound of sustainable forestry and fertilizer.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
There are also a bunch of mods that add new western vehicles.

Alternatively, you have option 3: rush vehicle production research and build vehicles with imported resources. The steel cost is going to eat you alive but it was always going to do so. Getting up steel production ASAP is the one lesson I took away from half a dozen failed republics. Even producing steel with trucked-in, border bought Iron can be worth it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I've used boats quite extensively and never had an issue with powerlines, but low bridges will absolutely block boats. I suspect there is also some detection logic concerning width so the different bridges have different gaps between their pillars, which may or may not matter.

I don't think you can tunnel under the sea though? Every time I've tried I got "Tunnel is above terrain" error. might have to do with underwater terrain which you have no way of seeing, unfortunately.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Another place where the map sucks: there is nowhere along the river coast that you can set up a dock without having to do major excavations, because the river is too narrow and has too many islands for the hitbox of any dock except the smallest passenger one, and the edges of the river on both sides are sheer cliffs for the entire run. It's major terraforming work to set up a harbor, and I plan on excavating it on the opposite coast once I get that far (so I don't have to worry about potential bridge collisions from having my highway bridge too low, which I still haven't been able to confirm on account of having no dock to see the ship measurements with).

I must have played Lyubinsk half a dozen times by now (the first time I started in the same area you did, but I now consider this to be a bit of a trap area) and there are a handful of areas where you can put a small dock/harbour in with some minor (rather than major) flattening of terrain along the river's edge. It is a lot of trial and error though trying to find those areas. F2 is, as always, your friend. There are also some modded harbours that don't require nearly the amount of space because the ship comes in sideways rather than lengthwise.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I really like the idea of scrapping vehicles to regain materials and I don't mind the idea of needing vehicle maintenance buildings (depending on frequency and cost etc.). Right now there are far too little drawbacks about having really inefficient setups. If in doubt, throw more trucks at it and just get into the habit of overbuilding your road network. There is no real reason to upgrade old vehicles unless you really want to increase throughput per vehicle (but you could also just build another distribution office and add some more trucks).

Demolition I am somewhat less hyped about. The game is already severely punishing when it comes to rebuilding/upgrading construction after it was done, and demolition cost+time will only add to that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
God, I wish they let you build railways using regular COs. I'm even okay with doing it at (essentially) a penalty, like digging railway tunnels without the tunneling train.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Eyebrow decidedly went up when I saw that you need to essentially start importing plastic etc. from day 1(ish) to maintain your fleet. Obviously it depends on how much they actually use to refurbish a vehicle. The automatic replacement screen looks like a dream and a nightmare. Being able to automatically upgrade older vehicles to newer models is a godsend but it seems like it is splitting up vehicles by age and type and in lategame republics that will be a lot of entries.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
They could make "going to a different place" a need all of its own. The game has tourism, but not intra-republic tourism, just foreigners. I think it could be cool if people want to visit their families in different parts of the republic once a year or so. With a corresponding happiness boost. Doesn't have to actually track family relationships, just people wanting to enter a different city entity and completing a need there.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Also it incorporates a bunch of mod building so its a good opportunity to go through your mod list and trim it down a bit. I managed to get mine below 700!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
By the time I went "boy I really wish I had bigger truck DO" I had the tech researched. Overall my biggest peeve with research right now is the amount of empty techs that start tech tree branches. It just seems pointless. Most of them don't even unlock several new options, they just inexplicably have a tech you need to research first before you can research the first tech that actually gives you something. Kinda baffling game design if I am being honest. They could have just added that time cost to the next tech and at least it wouldn't feel quite so pointless. I wish there were more efficiency gain techs for factories and the like.

For those curious: I ran the numbers and by my back-of-napkin calculations, importing plastic garbage and exporting the recycled plastic does actually get you a small profit of about 100 rubels per ton at game start (not accounting for fuel costs, wear and tear on vehicles transporting, workers upkeep etc.). The same can not be said for metal scrap to steel, even when trying scrap to steel to mechanical components.

I also made the mistake of finally doing a playthrough with water/sewage for the first time and good drat is it a hassle. How do you get drinking water to your mine buildings up in the mountains? Just truck it up there?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I usually take short loans, and refinance whenever necessary. But you really, really need to use the loans to become cashflow-positive. That money should go into export industries, not paying running costs.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, but I usually don't bother. You can get loyalty high enough with monuments that going 50% propaganda in the radio/TV hits ahrd enough to get the overall loyalty into the 70ies. Secret police is a waste of resources in my opinion unless you run hard demands.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
You can turn realistic traffic on during the game. Sometimes it helps resolving gridlocks since there seems to be a grace period where the rules don't matter and vehicles can phase through each other.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I build switches in front of every new major expansion so the rest of the network can continue and at least one or two construction trains can wait close to the site. It works reasonably well. Basically you need to treat the incomplate area as its own private network and build a connection to the actualy network.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
My main issue with research is that it has essentially just two states: painfully restrictive and irrelevant. Once you have your basic set up researches done you extremely quickly run out of important stuff to research and outpace your ability to actually build new stuff. I also play with the slowed date mod and by the end of 1962 (corresponds to vanilla 1968 roughly) I am usually done with all the parts I am remotely interested in. By that stage I am nowhere near building nuclear power plants but I have them researched because why not.

I do like the population boost/brake mechanic though, and the vaccine mechanic keeps the medical university relevant far longer. I just wish they expanded it to the other universities as well. Let me design new propaganda campaigns in the party headquarters for a repeatable one-time boost to loyalty. Let me research new production methods for a stacking 5% buff to output/resource cost/pollution emission for a given good. There is a hidden production penalty to electronics as time passes, let me counteract that by researching new semiconductor technologies. Stuff like that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

They need to redo track building. It completely hampers the cosmo game mode which is otherwise great fun. Trucks should be able to make deliveries to train lines. The track builder should be abstracted one more level up and just work like a tower crane or whatever

The track builder being a train just screws everything up

I just want to be able to build tracks with regular construction offices, I don't mind if its at a 50% penalty or whatever.

Also protip: underground heatpipes lose less heat over distance.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Given the capital outlay of a reasonably capable rail network far outstrips a reasonably capable road network, it is really not that surprising.

A bit of a philosophical question that I find myself having from time to time and would like opinions on: Do people set up their distribution offices as push (producers deliver resources to consumers) or pull (consumers pick up resources from producers) setups? Is there a meaningful difference? I do both and I feel like it invites a duplication of effort whenever logistics throughput starts to become a bottleneck.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I have played a few games with water/sewage and I no longer have it active. It just adds very little and offers very few interesting choices. Once you have solved the fundamental structural problem once, you just have to reapply it everywhere. Electricity and heat suffer from similar issues, but to much lesser degrees.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
You can import mixed waste and sift through it - it seems to depend on where you import it from, but I have had waste with 10% aluminum waste content, which can make quite a bit of money if you fully recycle it. And that waste is less than 100 rubels per truck load. Custom house throughput is the limiting factor, as qith so many strategies that rely on import.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Why would you truck waste in? Why would you truck waste at all, for that matter, except for municipal collections. Import that poo poo by the bulk carrier load and you probably can make some decent profit, since the recyling industry isn't especially labour intensive. I'd probably wait until you have a chemical plant though, so you can avoid having to import massive amounts and spike the price.

By the time you can import by the bulk-carrier load having a chemical plant is not what you will be working towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Glorgnole posted:

Is it actually possible to use ships to import waste? I can do it with trains but I don't see a (vanilla) cargo ship that can carry mixed waste.

No, but there are modded ships.