Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mokotow posted:

For all those favorably commenting on the heli flight dynamics and accurate runway markings, remember this was a heli sim/shooter and you’re essentially playing a map editor with an economy attached to it.

this is literally what the original Sim City was, everything old is new again

like, it was even specifically a map editor for a helicopter shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
apparently he is also claiming that their adding a feature similar to Cosmonaut Mode constitutes breach of contract somehow

this is even dumber than modder drama since at least a person who made a mod actually made a tangible thing, this dude is throwing a tantrum because he didn't get paid for suggesting an idea, one that he was definitely not the only person to suggest either

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do people generally have one consolidated megapolis of several thousand people surrounded by all your industries, or have lots of little industry towns? If you do towns do you try to provide all services or just tell them to get hosed, they don't all need hospitals.

I have lots of smaller towns scattered across the map, and the way I handle services is that I have a couple of large central cities that have all of them, and the smaller outlying towns have small basic services locally and commuter train/tram lines to the big city for access to bigger stuff.

This is not a perfect solution but it's less resource-hungry than putting a full-sized hospital (and the additional infrastructure needed to keep another residential building full of doctors there) in every little village of a hundred people.

I play on self-imposed pseudo-realistic mode (initial construction/resource storage infrastructure on the border and initial vehicle fleet insta-built, then everything else built manually; all vehicles and resources must be purchased at or near the border and then shipped to their final destination), and strongly prefer maps where resources are widely scattered and relatively difficult to get to, which incentivizes spread out development instead of making the republic one giant city-state. In particular I really dislike when maps have all of a resource concentrated in one place, like there's exactly one place on the map where coal is or one place where bauxite is, or have the coal and iron right next to each other, because this means you can just concentrate all the mining and refining infrastructure in one place and not have to worry about how to move that stuff around the map.

This also means that I need infrastructure connecting all those towns - roads, rails, pipelines, power lines, switches and transformers - and those need periodic maintenance and fire protection, and they also need construction offices to build them in the first place. Just chaining the construction offices together gives me a good incentive to build little chains of towns along the route, to shorten driving time for the construction laborer buses and concrete trucks - and once everything is built I still need a few people to staff rural fire departments. Those firemen then need some basic services and the village needs people to staff those, and before you know it you've got a small town going.

I really do not like that fully-mechanized farms require literally zero workers, it is really weird that you can make these giant swathes of farmland completely devoid of human population which thus eliminate one of the main reasons rural communities exist in real life. For that matter you need no truck drivers, garbage collectors, gas station employees, snowplow drivers, bus drivers, etc., which makes it totally feasible to have most of your rural infrastructure unmanned.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Arven posted:

How do kindergartens work with regard to transport? Do they always have to be within walking distance of home, or can the kids commute as students? I've never thought to test it.

conveyor belt

The General posted:

How the heck do I build a sewage discharge? It says some has to be in the water, and some on land. No matter how I angle it it's never correct.

Edit: Or deal with sewage in general? I've got it going to a treatment plant, and since I can't seem to build a discharge station I went for a loading/unloading station, but the technical office doesn't unload it?
Edit 2: Figured it out. Technical offices don't do it. Need to set a line from a vehicle depot. My bad.

The problem I keep running into with sewage is accidentally building some of the lines sloped in the wrong direction, so instead of pumping the poo poo from the city to the treatment plant I instead pump all the sewage out of all the buildings in one half of the city and into all the buildings in the other half, and I don't notice until all the accidental-destination buildings are overflowing and then backfilling and also overflowing the source buildings

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
As long as the discharge is downhill from the tank that's all you need, although you are dumping raw sewage into the local water supply which isn't ideal.

The problem comes when you are working in a hilly area and do not plan for the fact that the poo poo must always flow downhill.

It makes sense and is kind of an interesting design problem that justifies having separate water and sewage systems, instead of just abstracting them into a single 'pipe' system like most city builders do. You cannot, in general, pressurize sewage systems, because if the sewer is under pressure, the pressurized sewage is going to flow up and out through the paths of least resistance, i.e. people's drains and toilets (there are ways to make a pressurized sewage system and some do exist, but they're definitely less common). A gravity sewer just has the pipes go downhill, and this is the kind of sewer system simulated in the game (it's also the most common type in use in the world in real life). The sewer pumps in the game are what are more commonly called 'lift stations' in real life, and their purpose is not to provide pressure to the system, it's to move the sewage up vertically, either to extend the range of the line without having to get unreasonably deep, or to allow the sewage to go uphill.

If you're clever, you can almost completely avoid needing pumps, by making sure your outflow and treatment plant are at the lowest elevation on the map, and that your lines are routed starting at the highest elevation and then everything set up to flow steadily down from there. If you set it up right gravity will get the poop to its final destination all on its own. If you don't, or can't because of some quirk of the geography, you might have to spend a bunch of time fiddling with chaining together zig-zag patterns of pumps to try to move the sewage uphill.

You can also in theory truck sewage out, but in practice the only use case I've found for this is for very early game on realistic mode starts, to ensure everyone doesn't get sick and die before you get the actual sewers constructed.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Is it ever profitable to import waste, recycle it, and then sell it back? If so, which is better for this - plastic waste or metal scrap? I've never quite mathed it out, but in my latest run I tried it for a while but found that the margins were actually pretty bad given the conversion ratio.

I want to build my republic on a pile of garbage.

I also thought about doing this, and I think the margins are slightly better for plastic waste, but I am also pretty sure that for either of them, you're barely breaking even - on paper you get some profit out of it, but bear in mind you also have to consider the fuel cost to transport the waste and the power usage to operate the recycling facility.

It is still slightly cheaper than importing the equivalent amount of finished plastic or steel, but the difference is miniscule - for domestic use you are better off just importing the finished product.

There's an alternative, though - you get paid for importing burnable waste, which you can then feed into a waste-to-energy incinerator and sell the power you generate by burning the trash you got paid to take. You also get paid to import ash, which decays rather quickly, so you could theoretically import it just to let it decay.

You get paid to import sewage, too, so I guess you could make money by importing and treating sewage (or importing it and dumping it directly into the ocean, for higher profit margins).

Finally, you get paid a lot of money to import hazardous waste, enough that you still turn a drat solid profit even if you are running it through waste treatment and importing the chemicals for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think waste in general may slowly decay if specifically in dumps? Ash is absolutely the fastest, but I accidentally mixed construction waste into my ash piles and eventually it too disappeared. That said, this didn’t seem true when one dump was nothing but construction waste, so maybe it’s only mixed? Or maybe the “mixed” ash sort of grabbed tiny bits of the construction waste when it decayed. Felt like more of a bug than intentional but sometimes I still don’t know with this game.

Mixed waste absolutely, definitely decays in dumps, I have watched it happen with my eyes, but it's too slow to outpace the garbage production of even a modest-sized city, so you will either need to periodically rotate through multiple landfills or have some other disposal solution.

Also do not forget that you can pre-sort trash at the bins by setting aside dedicated bin types for different kinds of waste. I am running what I consider a happy medium for garbage disposal and sorting - namely, I do not have the full separation and and recycling infrastructure set up, but I do have dedicated storage set aside for plastic waste, metal scrap, and a couple of other types (the ones you get paid a decent amount for, basically), and I just periodically export from those storages when they get full. I do not reliably get 100% of them, because I am not actually separating them out and not all of them will end up in the correct bins, but I do separate out enough of them to significantly increase the amount of space available in my main dump, and it takes zero additional infrastructure or labor.

It's extremely unrealistic because everybody actually does only put plastic in the plastic bin and metal in the metal bin and doesn't just fill them with random garbage like they do in real life, but I am perfectly okay with that