Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I tried playing with research enabled, and I do not think I will be enabling it again until the tech tree has been reworked to be less strangely punishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Turns out that I can make money converting dollars to rubles by buying new Western vehicles at the blue custom house and then carting them over on flatbed railcars to the Soviet custom house to sell them at a big profit. I haven't dug around for a spreadsheet but Western vehicles all seem to be valued at a 2.5:1 ruble/dollar ratio or better, so I seem to be better off selling my bread to the West and using the dollars for this weird arbitrage scheme rather than selling directly to the Soviets. The main annoying thing is I don't think I can automate buying the vehicles.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

An incinerator goes 90% of the way to being independent in garbage handling. Incinerators won’t handle construction waste or metal scrap, but everything else burns to mixed waste that is 100% Ash, which if stored in dumps, will disappear over time.

Do metal scrap, aluminum scrap, and construction waste stay intact as components of the mixed waste that gets output from the incinerator? If so then it seems like an efficient waste processing approach would be to only separate out bio waste and plastic waste at the collection bins, incinerate all the mixed waste, and then run the ash through the separation facilities to extract the metal. Right now I have my incinerator as the last step in the chain and the overall throughput will eventually get limited by the earlier metal separation steps, since those have to process a lot of mixed waste that will eventually just get burned.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

Turns out that I can make money converting dollars to rubles by buying new Western vehicles at the blue custom house and then carting them over on flatbed railcars to the Soviet custom house to sell them at a big profit. I haven't dug around for a spreadsheet but Western vehicles all seem to be valued at a 2.5:1 ruble/dollar ratio or better, so I seem to be better off selling my bread to the West and using the dollars for this weird arbitrage scheme rather than selling directly to the Soviets. The main annoying thing is I don't think I can automate buying the vehicles.

As a follow-up after trying this for a while, it's better to buy new Western railcars and immediately ferry them over and sell them at Soviet customs. The boxcar that's available right now (1972) converts at 2.7 rubles per dollar, which is more than the vehicles I've tried so far. This also doesn't conflict with importing Western vehicles for my own use, which is simpler to manage.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You can do it in any order yeah, though if you do separation with the ash you are still going to be sifting through a lot of ash because what incineration mostly does is turn the burnable portion of the waste into ash which can then degrade when scattered into dumps.

So what you would optimally need to do is burn it, leave it for a bit in a dump, then sort it once it's stabilized in volume. But that's hard to automate and also involves re-loading the waste from the dump which is very slow. So for ease of processing steps, pre-sorting can be easier because then you know all your ash should be degradable and you don't have to deal with loading-from-dumps which is agonizingly slow.

Oh neat, I should experiment with that a bit. Is this using the claw-machine dumps? I know loading from those is faster than the regular "pile of stuff" dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

By the time you can import by the bulk-carrier load having a chemical plant is not what you will be working towards.

Is it actually possible to use ships to import waste? I can do it with trains but I don't see a (vanilla) cargo ship that can carry mixed waste.