Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The vehicle replacement tool is remarkably useful. I had a newer, better model of snowplow appear so I went into the menu for the first time and replaced all my plows with a few clicks. Old ones get sold or automatically drive to a scrapyard if you have one, new ones get bought or assigned from depots and vehicle storage, easy.

I also discovered that small garbage trucks can unload directly to big garbage skips if you set their dropoff to one of the "transfer for big garbage container" buildings. So your basic garbage service goes City Technical Service w/ small garbage trucks delivering to the local transfer, then a dedicated line or distribution office with large garbage trucks going to the border or your waste processing facility.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Man the vehicle replacement gets to be a pretty significant cost over time. As vehicles age they get repaired less and less each maintenence cycle, at about 30 years they're basically unusable, so if you do a 1960 start that can be a pretty nasty shock in the '90s (imagine that happening to a soviet country) and the costs to get rid of a vehicle get pretty loving astronomical if they're 100% hosed.

Its fairly cheap to build and run a scrapyard and the replacement tool can automatically send old vehicles there if you check the box. There's another checkbox on the scrapyard to scrap vehicles for materials, which makes it work slower (I think) but the vehicles are broken down into stuff like steel and metal scrap and components that you can re-use or export. Otherwise it can shred them into mixed waste if you have a reprocessing loop to feed it into.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any good guides/tutorials/build orders available for this? Trying to get back into this but I want to play with all the system on this time (I had gasoline and heating turned off, and I think garbage is new?).

Here's a short 3 and a half hour long video that will get you to the point of a functional first city and industrial area in realistic mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAY_6NZETEI

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Fertilizing fields is kinda insane. Hundreds of tons of crops out of a single big field insane. Dedicated DOs for the harvest and rail transport is almost mandatory for big farms.

Edit: A big field, a medium field and 3 small fields produced over 900 tons of crops with solid+liquid fertilizer.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 27, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

So the way waste processing works is a bit odd, and it has a lot of little nuances. Some things I've learned...

-You have to have both types of garbage truck and use the right kind of container stand for the building. Residential buildings all use small cans and factories all use large bins. I found this out when the fire station in my industrial area was overflowing with trash because the MO there only had large garbage trucks.

-Garbage trucks from a MO can either pickup directly from the building or from a container stand. Container stands are useful because they can serve multiple buildings, have much larger storage and can separate trash by designating bins. (The small stand for small bins cannot have separation). You need to do research for residential waste separation to work.

-Waste transfers are really useful. They extend the internal waste storage of the factory they're attached to and can act as pickup and drop-off points. You can manually set each bin in the transfer to a different type of waste. MO garbage trucks will not pickup from a transfer, but they can deliver to them. DOs with large garbage trucks assigned can haul waste between transfers and processing facilities. The main benefit is that because the waste stays in bins the loading speed is very fast. I use a transfer on the edge of my city where my small garbage trucks can drop of waste that a small DO with large garbage trucks then hauls to multiple sites- scrap and plastic to the border, biological to the composting plant, mixed waste to the separator and hazardous directly to the incinerator.

-The incinerator (normal and power/heat) can burn the following types of waste- Burnable, Biological, Hazardous, Fertilizer and Other. It converts waste into ash, which has to be output to a dump where it will slowly dissipate naturally. The dissipation rate seems to be less than the incineration rate, so an incinerator working at full production will probably need a DO of garbage trucks to either export the ash or spread it into several different dumps.

-The separation plant can magically produce metal scrap, aluminum scrap, plastic waste and construction waste when mixed waste is fed into it, even if that waste was pre-separated at the garbage stands. -Edit: I was wrong about this, it separates a % of items present in mixed waste.

- Scrap and construction waste from the separation plant become aggregates. Same for plastic waste, which becomes an open storage good. This means they have to be put in storages of that type and hauled by trucks/trains of that type, garbage trucks cant move them anymore. The way this works is a little odd, I think the plant looks for a valid factory connection before converting the waste. I was getting some leakage through the incinerator transfer that I think happened because all the bins in the transfer weren't set to be burnable waste. After I filtered them the flow stopped.

- You can use a waste transfer as a middle point between the incinerator and the separation plant to filter, store and also accept burnable waste that the separation plant won't process- I have most of the bins set for mixed waste and a few set for hazardous and fertilizer so I can burn the excess from my composting plant.

-The only way to get biological waste is from separation at the garbage stands. Tourists produce a ton of biological waste- mixed waste from hotels is 50% bio compared to normal citizens 20%. Biological waste is processed at the composting plant to make solid fertilizer.

-I have seen people complain online that biological waste put in a dump will decompose into fertilizer and "poison" the dump by changing the type of waste stored there. I've been using waste transfers to store and shift biological waste from small garbage trucks to large and it does not seem to decay as long as it stays in a bin.

-Regular dumps are cheap but have a terrible loading rate, the claw dumps are more expensive but load quicker and transfers have the fastest rate, modest cost but smallest capacity. The claw dump with rail seems to be the only way to get waste onto a train.

-If you somehow get other types of waste in your ash pile you can fix it in a few ways- run it back through the separator -> incinerator loop after you fix your leak, export it or just ignore it and use a different dump. Ash mixed with other waste will still dissipate and leave the non-ash behind.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 27, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

So I started up a test game to try out some ideas I had for a basic waste processing setup.

I started out using a waste to energy incinerator, but one problem I ran into is that it only burns waste if it has an electric load. Not a problem in a large republic with priority switches, but I didn't want to bother with it in my test game so I switched to a regular incinerator.

Please ignore the transfer for plastics, it doesn't work and needs to be an open storage. Having the factory connections be one way is really important, two way connections don't work. You don't have to setup the metal and gravel processing initially, its enough to put the separated scrap into storages and ship them out with trucks early on - they're a very small % of your total waste stream.

Ash is handled by a DO with big garbage trucks that spread it between multiple dumps. The dissipation rate is very slow even multiplied 8x. It might be better to export by train. On the other hand even a dozen medium dumps are way cheaper than a rail line, garbage cars and engine.

Closeup of the core processing loop. You will get very small amounts of scrap metal in your ash with this basic setup because the separator doesn't get everything. You'd need to run the waste through the dedicated metal and aluminum separators first to get almost 100% capture. Its not really a big deal, its a tiny fraction of the total volume.

Astute comrades will note that the incinerator buffer has a few dedicated bins for burnable waste that doesn't need separation. This lets you inject it into the waste stream without needing to pass it through the separator.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Demolition is a pretty neat mechanic - there's a deconstruction phase and a cleanup phase and two options for doing so. You can deconstruct with workers and excavators and get a (relatively) small amount of separated waste types (construction waste, mixed, scrap) or you can check a box to use explosives then deliver a certain quantity of boom to the site to immediately explode the building and get a massive pile of mixed waste. Then your garbage trucks assigned to demolition get to work hauling. If a large number of buildings need demo then you may need a dedicated processing plant for the resulting waste so it doesn't clog your city and industry garbage processors.

Demolition also ties into the new fire mechanics- if a building burns down its like the building was demolished by explosives. The rubble has to be hauled off and then the building can be rebuilt on the same footprint, preserving any connections.

Rail deconstruction is done by your rail offices and works in reverse to normal construction- some materials are recovered in addition to waste and flow back into the rail office which will need to be emptied for large jobs.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Woops, 650 citizens dead because the water treatment plant stopped because it was out of chemicals because the chemical plant stopped because it was out of wood because the load bearing flatbed truck was stuck in a traffic jam at the border.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

A good reason to keep on top of building maintenance is that if a building catches fire its condition rapidly degrades and if it hits 100% while your firefighters are there it collapses and destroys the fire trucks. 50% may be inadequate for automatic reconstruction.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 9, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

The best way is to run a rail line out there and throw some diesel rail buses at the problem. You're going to want to get materials out there by train anyway.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Track builder logic has improved a lot, they can reverse in the middle of segments to get to switches and if they finish a chunk of rail and still have material aboard will automatically continue to the next one, which helps improve their efficiency.

You still want to put crossovers at the beginning of new sections and only signal track once the track builders are 100% done.

Trains are basically the only economically viable method of long distance bulk transport unless you have a really convenient river or something, so it's worth the wait.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Align a dirt road to the grid along the waters edge and then level terrain from the water to the road, the road prevents terraforming next to it so you get a smooth edge like a quay wall

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Once you separate mixed waste the plastic becomes an open storage good and the scrap and construction waste become aggregates. It's a bit of a quirk but good in the end because the vehicles for those types have more capacity and faster loading times.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Log082 posted:

It's so hard to find a good map. You want one with enough varied terrain to force interesting decisions, but enough space to plan out and build big cities. I love Passages, but like 75% of the map is unusable without heavy construction/terraforming.

I've always liked Fjordland. There's several interesting starting points, lots of water and some good sized open areas as well as steep mountain passes and foothills where all the good deposits are.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

And the distinction between road and tower cranes is that road cranes drive themselves to the site but work slower, and tower cranes work faster but need a big enough flatbed truck in the same CO to deliver them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

"Builders of the Komsomolsky district", painting by Vladimir Chursin, 1982

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

The Leningradskaya Hotel located in Komsomolskaya Square illuminated for the night, 1978 (photo by Albert Pushkarev)

I really like this photo because you can see buses, trams and elevated metro converging in one area.

Also the perfidious personal car.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Incinerators can absolutely output ash to containers, use the transfer for large garbage stands connected with a one way factory connection. Then you can rapidly load ash with large trucks.

If you view my posts in this thread and scroll up a bit I posted a working separation setup and some observations on the garbage system.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Any waste that has multiple types of waste in it is mixed waste. (Hazardous waste is mixed waste that has hazmat in it) Run mixed waste through an incinerator and the burnable stuff turns to a smaller volume of ash so you get out mixed waste that consists of ash and whatever non-burnables were in the waste.

You can run ash through a general or specialized separation plant to get that stuff out. If you chuck it in a dump the ash will slowly dissipate and leave behind anything else.

I think the volume of ash you get from waste depends on type but I'm not sure what the production % indicators on the incinerators mean.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

They key things are to have

1) an adequate pool of labor to pull from

2) adequate throughput of transit, and

3) adequate frequency of transit

Think in terms of microdistricts - "link" blocks of housing to specific industrial parks. Add up the number of workers for a shift in that park and size your districts to have 3x the shift size plus about 20% for running district services.

For critical infrastructure like heating and power frequency is king. I've found having them in walking range of an industrial park bus stop in addition to a dedicated microbus line of 4-6 buses works well. The key thing is that a new shift is dropped off every 8 in-game hours at a minimum.

Automatic line spacing is good for frequency, so buses don't clump up. You'll want to use it in combination with a bus end station on the outskirts of the city. Buses will stop there on their way back from the industrial park, top off fuel and wait however long they need to for spacing. You can build a repair station next to it and they'll be maintained as well. If you don't use an end station buses will space themselves by driving slowly which can jam up roads.

Beware drawing too hard on your labor pool. Construction is a big cause of shortages if you overbuild. You want to maintain about a 3-5% unemployment rate.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Behold, soviet science has created a new method of public transport!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

"Russian Post Punk" is also a good genre if you want a more melancholy vibe. Or go straight to the source and listen to Kino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQcRyOBmzw

As a rule any group that has black and white brutalist buildings on the album cover is going to be perfect for W&R

The album "The End of Electronics" by Sierpien is my absolute favorite for this. Just look at the album cover, its pure W&R.

Also, Molchat Doma

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjE8LKSTe8

This song should play on repeat if you make the mistake of distributing cars.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I wonder how many English speakers have listened to "Sudno" and said like I did, "What a bop, I wonder what the lyrics say- :stare:"

If it's from Eastern Europe I just assume it's either the most depressing thing I've ever heard, an incredibly philosophical meditation on the human condition or both.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I wonder at what % of wear you can make a profit on scrapping? Ships would probably be best, to minimize micro.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

What I've seen on the workshop was basically a free dump you could build on the water. Ash will still dissipate but normal waste will just sit there.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Volmarias posted:

There is / was a roof helipad mod, if I recall.

I've been playing again, and honestly playing too much. One thing realistic really hammers home is that I really, really need to actually plan my changes out from the beginning instead of deciding "uh, I guess I'll jam this in here then" which continues to be a recipe for abject failure.

I keep just jamming things in instead is sticking to the 5 year plan.

:ussr:

One thing that helped me was pairing housing microdistricts to specific industrial plants. You can roughly calculate the size of population needed for all 3 shifts, add about 20% to cover services and size everything to fit from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

How do the prison buses work anyway? Do you just run them from the prison to a building and they work shifts?

Bingo, though they're not very productive workers and best for dumping into mines or gravel pits.