Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
So I watched some videos, bought this game, played all the tutorials, started a game on realistic because I'm a massive idiot, and after I got hosed by all the stuff like "construction office cannot source same material from 2 buildings", "buses from office take foreign workers to construction sites that have no materials, instead to those with materials and mechanism" and built wind power, but found out there was absolutely no wind in 3 months despite rains and such.

Now I'm stuck with oil power plant in which nobody wants to work. I have bus stop in my village, bus stop right next to power plant, there is bus line setup between the two (get in & out at both), and there are 60 passengers waiting at the bus stop in village, but no workers. I have no idea where those passengers want to go, because the only bus goes to power plant, but nobody goes there. Of course there are 50 workers chilling at half built bar waiting for some concrete or something, and everyone bitching that there is no electricity. How do I make those idiots work at the power plant? Why are there people at the bus stop that doesn't go anywhere except the power plant?

Overall this game could use some basic UI like "show range of power substation", because I would like to see where it can reach, not only what already built things it can reach, or show that this sewage pipe needs another poo poo elevator to flow. But thank god at least there are 12 different types of power lines, that's the important stuff :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Yo, thanks for the replies. Just to make sure how workers function in this game, is this like this?
1) Comrade worker doesn't have a job. He wakes up, looks out of window and if he seems something where there is work, he goes there
2) If there isn't anything within laughably short walking distance, he'll go to bus stop and doesn't have any plan where to go. He just sits there like a piece of lumber waiting to be transported somewhere, anywhere.
3) Bus driver shoves 50% of workers out at some bus stop, and it is back to (1)?
How does a worker get home? is this something like above, or he can grows a brain and figures out how to get home?

And if citizen cannot buy any food, because grocery store is 10m beyond walking distance, will he just go starve at the bus stop and pray to lenin so he sends him bus to somewhere with grocery store? What the line has multiple stops and only one has grocery? Will he just be kicked out of a bus randomly and then be like ":saddowns: no food here either"

If this works similar to this, that would seem pretty dumb.

And after I manage to persuade some workers to go work at power plant, will it randomly stop producing because some bus waited at intersection 5s longer and now the workers at power plant decide to go home like they don't work at critical infrastructure? Or will they wait a bit for replacement? Because I tried supplying power plant with foreign workers but 2 buses cannot keep it working and it is like 100m from borders

Sorry for my dumb questions

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Thanks for the replies, knowing how it works will help bring glory to my soviet republic. So with people transport working like it does, and power plant that takes at most 15 workers, I can probably forget about stable power supply if demand will be some % of power plant production? Solution is to connect to borders and buy/sell electricity based on how timing on minibuses and teleports home align?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I think I got over the initial brain damage (I say, as I will inevitably run into something more stupid), and game is great even on realistic (with medium citizen complaining). It still has some funky behavior like all the trucks using one gas stop, and when it runs out they refuse to drive 500m to other one that is fully stocked :v:, including the truck that distributes fuel. It still could use a lot of UI work, like displaying icons over structure that won't get built because it has no footpath to it (looking at you 15m poo poo elevator), or that electric substation is not connected because I didn't quite connect two cables at different depth (even overlay didn't complain about that), but hey, early access and all that I guess

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Just slap some big red letters on it

Is there anything that can be done so ground around housing doesn't look like construction site? There is barely any grass. I guess I can plant a shitload of trees to cover it all, but then my commie town will look like forest

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I sort of wish they would just add demolition and building maintenance to construction offices and increase the number of vehicles it can house. I already have 5 of them to get anything done in realistic just a few years in. And maybe more vehicles for distribution as well, because now I need 2 small and medium (there is no large?) to supply food for 6k town, which is bit ridiculous (I use small with big trucks to fill warehouse at the edge of town and rest with smaller trucks to get to shops. I'm not sure if there is better way to do it. Without warehouse everyone was starving all the time)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

double nine posted:

trains, my dear. TRAINS.

I mean, filling the warehouse isn't the problematic part. Small distribution can take care of that. It is bringing it from warehouse to shops that's annoying. (I'm also not sure how good bringing a few tons of chemicals to warehouse would work with train)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is there any way to "upgrade" panel road to asphalt? For some reason (I guess some misguided realism) game doesn't allow me to do this. And I don't feel like bulldozing old road only to try and draw exact same one with intersections, footpaths etc.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t think there is sadly. I don’t find much purpose for panel roads outside of the exclusive tram ones and random “roleplay” where it looks good.

Uh, that sucks, because I was building everything gravel and then upgrading almost any road of importance to panels once panel factory was up, since that is basically free :v:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It would be great if those dumb trucks could bring all resources to construction site, not only current phase. It is great to build some long as underground wire or something, then wait a month for that 0.2 of electronics or whatever to be delivered, and of course it only arrives after 5 buses bring workers before that. But I'm not holding any hope for this.

Btw. how does upgrading rail to electrified work? Do you have to gently caress around with signals? Because I find that the drat track builder gets confused just building regular rail if I decide to put some X switch between rails somewhere that has one way signals. Like it cannot go to some station to turn around

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
That sounds like I won't be electrifying my railway

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

The best way to electrify your railway is to export an equivalent amount of electronic parts or something of equal value and in your head think really hard about how you paid an external, foreign firm to do it for your Republic. This lets you avoid any guilt when you flick off realistic mode and autobuy that upgrade.

If you don’t have that guilt then just turn it off and autobuy that upgrade.

I really do hate doing that because realistic mode is super fun but “crippling an entire rail network” is not a fun problem to solve in the context of this game.

I already bought trams for cash in my previous save, because I find it bit odd that they are born as electric trains (I have no idea how realistic this is, I assumed trams are brought to tram depots disassembled IRL), so I have no problem with that. And of course that tram didn't have a place to turn around (it cannot turn around in station like trucks and trains?) so it went to railway connection and kind of went off-rails and slowly drifted off map :classiclol:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
So how long does it usually take them to go from beta to regular release (or at least some patches)?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Destroying road now downgrades it to dirt road first. Hell yeah, this will allow to upgrade panel roads to asphalt :toot:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Eh, you still have few free ones and DOs can at least be researched in the small communist HQ. Now panels, that seems more funky (I have no idea, that is in technical university?)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It would be nice if they added also small technical university that could research either first 2 columns (since 1st doesn't do anything), or 1st column would lock it into that "faculty" and it could research only from that part of tree

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It's bit weird that there is research for resources map, but you can still detect them manually when placing mines/jacks. So that research is just to annoy you.

I also tried to build one-lane road roundabout in realistic mode. Vehicles get trapped by one way roads it you have more segments :v:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
You can still see resources when you're planting a mine/well, so you can still find it that way (I started with agriculture and randomly found coal this way). I still wish there would be small universities with limit to what they can research. Right now when you get technical university, you basically unlocked everything, because research is way faster then building the thing you researched, so it doesn't really come into play except for before you have the university

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
IMO what would be nice and turn out really bad would be dynamic prices, so e.g. if you keep importing 200 tons of blue jeans a month from nato, it would get more expensive (I don't know if this makes sense, maybe you're buying more than they can produce?). And if you're exporting infinite amounts of fuel, if gets cheaper since you're selling more than they need.

At any rate it doesn't make any sense that republic of 10k people can make infinite money from single oil refinery, or that it would produce so much as to lower the global prices :shrug:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Volmarias posted:

I thought that this is what happens if you rely on land border exports now? You have to use boats to reach the international market which will be more stable in price.

Huh, that's cool, I've never noticed it. Oil refinery erased millions of debt (export by rail) on previous and current save, so maybe it takes longer to kick in? Because I mostly lose motivation once money is just a number that only goes up.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I would be okay if you could just set default like 5 workers which I almost always do manually because of this. It would also be great if people could walk to pipes and roads, since you can set non-CO workers limit there as well but no one ever goes there if not brought in by CO bus

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

on today's episode of "things you probably didn't realise you could do because it's hidden in the UI"

:worship:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Along with this, you have to make sure they aren't absolutely loving you on resources, wherein you'd have to support 10 coal mines to approach sustaining a highly productive steel mill, little yet a nation's power and/or heating needs.

Any maps you can recommend that gently caress you on resources? :D I usually have an opposite problem that when I search for map, all have huge amount of resources everywhere, where every resource site can fully supply steel mill or oil refinery. I would like to have some reason to spread out more. I always ended up either really packed near the starting location, or given up because building road/rail across a map to get to that single spot of uranium takes 10 years

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I don't have too many that are *really* punishing, on account of I don't like ones where you're hunting for maybe 50% purity and have to spread a ton of mines out all over, but here's a few:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2410556036
This guy makes decent maps with "less resource" versions that feel like they hit a good "difficult, not bullshit" tier.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2780435332
Same case here, New Horizon's 2.0 and his other ones listed as less resources are kind of in the same boat.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2616441553
This isn't necessarily 'low' resources, but they're all in specific places and don't have a ton of spread out deposits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2512383145
This map tries (and succeeds, mostly) in hiding good resource deposits in difficult to reach places.

Thanks, I'll try some of those. I've actually played on taiga and new horizons and these were fairly to my liking. Maybe I should just embrace the gameplay when money is no issue and it's just all about trying to unfuck my horrible infrastructure where everything is tightly packed together :classiclol:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Polikarpov posted:

Automatic line spacing is good for frequency, so buses don't clump up. You'll want to use it in combination with a bus end station on the outskirts of the city. Buses will stop there on their way back from the industrial park, top off fuel and wait however long they need to for spacing. You can build a repair station next to it and they'll be maintained as well. If you don't use an end station buses will space themselves by driving slowly which can jam up roads.

I can't believe it took me over 200h to figure out that end stations can space by time, and I only found out by accident. I thought they were just different shaped stops. Instead I cursed the stupid line spacing that causes all buses to constantly go 30kmh. As a consequence, I only build power plant in my first save and then just imported it forever to avoid constant blackouts because some bus arrived 2 seconds before everyone at power plant decided to teleport home, and then complain about lack of electricity

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I usually get bored before getting to nuclear power plant, but now I'm getting close. Does NPP give lethal dose of radiation in walking distance or do the devs actually know that it doesn't create a death zone unless it melts down? The fact there is a dosimeter and that even a food factory kills everyone in walking distance (or at least used to) doesn't give me much hope

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is there a way for buildings to get rebuilt automatically after they collapse from earthquake? They turn to rubble, demolition office clears the site, and building is there ready to be built, but construction is suspended be default (this wouldn't be that bad if there was some icon over it signaling this), and "notify when demolition is done" doesn't notify here, only when doing actual demolition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
My republic just got crippled by waste separation randomly deciding to chuck all construction waste into landfill that is feeding incinerator. Now there is construction waste everywhere. Good times :v: . I actually don't know if I ever set that landfill to mixed waste only and only got lucky for 15 years or some bug turned that off. But I also had that happen that fertilizer plant decided to dump mixed waste into where fertilizer should go. Now I wish I had option to discard waste on non-realistic. Or maybe just a good excuse to start a new republic with that small technical university