Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Babies don't commute, so kindergartens need to be within walking distance to housing. Once they're school aged then you can thrown them onto a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The first campaign is at once both hand holdy and not at all ( build a food factory and make 50 food, but don't bring up the point that you will need to get workers into your factory ), but does make a point to tell you that babies will not catch a bus.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Horsebanger posted:

Is there a mod to let me survey resources from the start of the game?

Infact, is there a good modlist of QoL or "essential mods" like in cities skylines?

Turning off research allows you to see everything from the start of the game, otherwise I've seen a couple streamers use the cheat menu to scan out resource locations at the start of a new map so they can plan their expansions accordingly.

As for an essential modlist I haven't seen one, it's very much going to be a case of hey this conveyor tower is really annoying me because the road attachment is right under the conveyor attachment and rotating the building isn't allowing for a clean build, let's see what's available off the workshop kind of deal. For example I've been using the overhead pipeline crossing mod in my current game, but only because I had a situation where I wanted to run roads and rail through an oilfield and didn't want to go with underground pipes. There are also smaller/larger versions of buildings if you only have room for a small gravel factory or technical university. It's very much a case of looking for things to fit your personal tastes / aesthetics or to solve a particular problem you're having right now.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Personally, I'm always bugged deeply by "Real" maps. I've never wanted them in any city builder - W&R, Skylines, whatever. These ones especially are weird because of the scale. I don't understand the appeal, because it feels like it pushes you into wanting to emulate real places, but at some kind of scale that won't ever make sense. I also don't gently caress with the real 1:1 scale "This is <Random German/Russian City>'s heightmap" and its just a mostly flat plain around a river. Why? The game begs for a more HO model train scale of landform and the fun, for me, is in working around that type of landform.

I'm willing to be wrong on it, but it has never gelled with my approach to these games.

Anyone doing anything cool?
I did a real map based on my home town. Turns out it's not as simple as taking a heightmap and plugging it in, I had to play around with the contrast, exposure, highlights and brightness of the raw heightmap as otherwise it would just give me flat plains and Hobart is anything but that. Trying to add the smaller rivulets in took a lot of time and there's a couple of spots where they don't look quite right, you're dealing with a square water texture that's intended to make lakes and I thought I'd try to be clever by painting them into the heightmap first which creates some rather steep ravines. They don't have any functional benefits except break up the terrain and give you an excuse to bridge them.