Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
There is a distinction between work, free time rules and transport rules, and they experience time at different speeds. ( :birddrugs: )

Free time rules, they have 16 hours to meet whatever they rolled for needs for that day. The timer counts up if they're walking, waiting for a vehicle, or at a service building, being on a vehicle or iirc at a hospital pauses it - but it counts up more slowly if they're walking vs doing anything else. If they meet all their needs they teleport home. Once their 16 hours are up they teleport home and start a work shift.

Work rules, they'll look for a job in walking distance first. If they have a university education and there's a job open that requires one they'll prioritise that. If they don't find one they'll as mentioned look for a platform with a destination that has jobs. The 8hr shift count doesn't start until they arrive and isn't shortened by a long journey.

Transport rules, they have 5 hours total. Arrival at a platform starts a 1hr countdown and if they don't get on a vehicle they go home. If they do, they have 4hrs to get where they're going. Not actually sure if they start another 1hr if you send them to a second platform or just keep at the 4, probably. The walk to the platform, however, doesn't count towards anything if they're going to work so you don't cut their time budget by having the platform a long way away.

Because they'll get on the first valid vehicle that arrives, if you have a stop with multiple lines your control methods are vehicle size and service frequency.

Time limits probably change based on difficulty, idk.

They don't discriminate as far as what's at the destination, just that there's a spot that they can theoretically fill (which may or may not be open when they get there).

If you want them to get off a vehicle at a stop and onto a different one you have to explicitly order the first stop to unload to the second stop. If they're self-directing they'll only ever go vehicle -> destination.

It actually works fine once you understand what's going on, but it definitely rewards both having some slack in the system and single-purpose transport lines - there's no direct downside to having people unemployed beyond the cost of keeping them fed and watered, and from the point of view of the industry receiving the workforce it's completely fine to have a bus full of people stuck in purgatory because there's no jobs for them to get off for (they will once some open up, and it's of no significance to the industry whether they 'time out' on the bus or at the station) but you don't want the same bus that moves your teens to a university to simultaneously be moving mass numbers of workers to an oversupplied destination, as if they can't get off they may prevent anyone from getting on for a while.

Ideally you want them within walking distance anyway, the range was upped to 400m a bit back which is pretty workable. Following the broad outlines of Soviet urban planning theory - services within walking distance, work as well if possible, footpaths are preferable to a road to every doorstep - will get you better results than trying to give everyone a car and/or public transport commute; the challenge is, how do you balance that with not murdering the poo poo out of them with your hyper-polluting heavy industry...

This is pretty ugly but you get the idea:

The central bit is a small food/alcohol plant which produces very little pollution. So, fine to have them live next door (plus they can mostly get their food direct from the factory store! saves on shipping). The construction yards in the background are pretty nasty when they're running so the closest housing is about 300m away, which is tolerable. You can kinda get a sense of the housing being more or less in a semi-circle around the pollution emitters. Off to the left there's a little oil refinery and a bunch of chicken farms which are pretty nasty, so a bus takes workers about 750m to avoid anyone getting gassed in their sleep.

The, uh, dead zones can get pretty significant if you concentrate a bunch of polluters - I had three coal plants running flat out as a single unit in a previous game and they were lethal a good 2-3km downwind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
I started working on that norwegian themed region everyone was going nuts over a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the loyalty etc patch coming out and, well, anyone who says you can't make this pile of crap look cool is lying. also you all have to look at my virtual holiday snaps now, it's just like being friends with a tiresome middle-aged communist irl

...which is not to say it's not a shitload of work.

I started in 1917 and have been vaguely/as far as possible working through architectural eras so I'm now (1940) putting up a bunch of wedding-cake Stalinist stuff, building up a trolleybus network, slowly starting to clear out the pre-war in-town industrial buildings and basically transforming a bunch of isolated little towns into a kind of urban region type thing. It may be a janky game in some ways but once it clicks I don't think there's anything quite as satisfying out there, especially if you really put the effort into trying to assemble a country in a fairly organic way rather than just doing the simcity thing of just plopping down a bunch of square blocks of Urban directly from space. I'm not going to say it's 100% self-built because there are definitely some things that just aren't reasonable to do, but I think I'm at about 95% including the entirety of that Goddamn airport which required half the land to be dredged up from the bottom of the sea and then took three Goddamn years to put up with 1930s construction equipment and is still not even finished

excited for the 1960s demolitions and plattenbau-based urban renewal :getin:

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

This game is unintentionally a great stimulator of communist apparatchiks, revolutionaries and thugs trying to operate a command economy with zero training.

look, if Stalin's ghost did not want me to construct weirdly oversized warehouses years in advance of figuring out what to store in them, he would not have possessed some Slovaks and forced them to make this game

e: my sketched-out logistics hub...thing...is now approximately ten times the area of the town it was initially supposed to be serving, which I haven't even started building yet

Pretty rad dad pad fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 2, 2023

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

The thing about this game is that it's not about communism at all - it's an airport building simulator.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

No, I don't know why the transformer thing is on a mini train track. I assume this is based on something I don't know about, maybe the real building its based on had that connection to rail. It's the only thing that bugs me about the building.

:eng101: HV electric transformers in particular are capital-H Heavy and it's much easier, if you don't have access to a road crane that can lift potentially 50-200+ tons (which are a thing today, but only really started to proliferate anywhere in the mid-1980s, and as far as I know more or less didn't exist in the SU - to the extent that anything of that size existed at all it would have been either fixed in position or on rails itself) to just move the thing on a specialized trailer, sort of like you would e.g a railway locomotive on road; getting it on and off the trailer, and the movement from unloading to the exact spot where it's going to live, are the hard part, so it makes sense to have that be something you can do without much in the way of heavy equipment. And, you wouldn't really want to be slinging cranes, cables and the like around after everything's built and there's a bunch of wiring all around.

Basically the rails aren't there because there was a railway that ran to the transformer station (though maybe there was the odd one that was in just the right place for that, who knows), but rather to move the transformer from outside the transformer station to inside the transformer station from however it got there. If you have a few metres of rail you can just unload it at the gate and slide it down the track (even if it's not on wheels) with some big jacks, rather than having to work around all the other stuff in there.

This is the UK in the 60s but it somewhat shows just how awkward it is to move the things around when you can only really pull or raise from below, not lift from above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nqWE26yqk

A lot of the relatively smaller Soviet ones in particular are just permanently on rails because, I assume, there was more of a focus on being easy to install/replace without much in the way of heavy equipment. Places with more access to larger cranes, or more space to work, or that don't expect to get nuked and have to replace a bunch of transformers, don't necessarily bother (until you get to the really gigantic power station transformers, or ones with a lot of surrounding obstructions etc), but they'll very often be mounted on rails even if the transformer itself isn't on wheels, since it's then easier to move a little bit to get everything lined up properly (and I assume there's some advantages to, say, not getting the base wet etc) - or they might just be installed that way then you remove the rails and use them for the next install.

(Germany)

http://www.ues.su/en/news/29-11-2013-item/

(Kyrgyzstan, showing install)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

The whole power plant (well, power in particular, but large hi-emissions industry generally) pollution issue is kinda silly in that a large part of the reason that the video game-stereotype smokestack industry has the giant smokestacks is so that they don't just make everyone in their immediate vicinity the most lead poisoned a human has ever been. It should really be something more along the lines of, a fraction of the strength over an order of magnitude greater area or whatever numbers, where living next to the power plant is...not great, but not the end of the world, but living in Nickelsmeltsk, generally, gets real bad if you decide you're going to smelt all the world's nickel there.