Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a simple way to see how much electricity I'm producing vs using in total? I'm selling my excess electricity for some money but I really have no idea how to tell if I am making enough extra to sell. I did find the Voltage/Wattage overlay and that helps but I don't fully understand what I'm looking at there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah god drat it's satisfying as hell to gradually ramp up your construction materials supply chain and rely less and less on paying for mats with cash.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay so forgive me if this is W&R 101 but I've never really gotten past the stage where everything is run from one single construction office but now I'm on a huge map and have to spread out and look more into trains I think. Essentially my Asphalt plant is very far away from my towns and I need a better way to get asphalt to constructions jobs rather than a dozen dumptrucks. Can I load asphalt onto a train, move it down the tracks, and have a construction office look there for their asphalt needs, unloading it from the train as needed? I think asphalt is unique since you can't bulk store it or conveyor it around so I'm just sort of at a loss how I effectively distribute this stuff far away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OwlFancier posted:

No, but you can attach a helipad to the asphalt plant by building it right next to it (there's a little green outline that pops up around connectable buildings when you go to build the helipad) and then you can load asphalt into helicopters and use them to deliver to construction sites, if you have a helicopter construction office.

This also allows you to attach helicopters to the fire station, hospital, and the helicopter construction office if you want more helicopters per office (though this comes at the expense of other vehicle slots)

I was going to have a followup question about this because I was trying to do exactly that but couldn't figure out a way to attach an asphalt plant to a helipad for pickup. There's no output or anything so do I have to park it next to it and drive a truck back and forth or does it just magically make the connection when you build near it?

E: I see, I think I was trying a cargo helipad but didn't try just a plain old helipad.

hailthefish posted:

You can also move your bitumen and gravel in bulk and build a new asphalt plant closer to your ongoing construction.

Yeah this might be the way I suppose

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OwlFancier posted:

Helipads magically connect to valid buildings and essentially just become a docking slot for that building.

drat that's great to know, thanks! I was trying to do a cargo helipad and it had me wondering about just how feasible that idea would be but that looks far easier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat these helicopter pads are a life saver!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Might as well share what I've got going on:
Here's the main town I've been branching from and most of the basic construction material factories. Working on a prefab panels factory now in the mountains right next to the gravel.

Over here is my Oil production area/helipad where I'm also making Asphalt and slowly working on rebuilding the nearby town for workers. Also got an oil power plant in the works because I have so much spare oil in reserve.

I don't know why these screenshots came out so drat crunchy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

punishedkissinger posted:

those residential buildings are looking prettttyyy close to that toxic gas factory

it's fine they're fine

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trying to get helicopters working with the fire station and it doesn't seem to be working. I have a cargo helicopter with a high water capacity and huge swaths of water for them to pick up from but they don't seem to be doing anything. Is there a range limit for what they can respond to?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JosefStalinator posted:

This thread is inspiring me to give the game another try. Is there a recommended industry/production chain for newbies that's the easiest to get a sense of the basics from?

Build a Construction Office and work your way through the basic building materials like bricks and gravel, asphalt, etc. The production chains aren't too intense and as you get more built and running you can start supplying your own materials for jobs and save money on imports. Once you have most of those you should have a pretty good understanding of the mechanics.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat that looks unbelievable. Nice work!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I'm going to start a new game, I've been relearning how to play with a lot of the harder modifiers disabled but even with the simpler education I still hosed myself by not getting a college running until after my whole workforce died out or was too stupid to do any meaningful jobs. A bit nervous about the heating and fuel stuff but fuggit let's go :getin:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give that a try when starting out!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OwlFancier posted:

I think it is literally undocumented other than the tooltip, and because I hadn't heard anything in the dev logs other than "we will look into adding it" I assumed it wasn't in yet.

But no, game changing layout feature mentioned only in a random tooltip.

It's in the keybinds and I only found it because I went in there once looking for a pipette tool. It really is a bit of a gamechanger to have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man it's hard finding info out about this game sometimes! I only just realized that you can auto import stuff like bitumen directly to a silo to feed to an asphalt plant which is a goddamn game changer but is it possible to import manually via a train somehow? I could only find steam forum posts from like 2019 saying 'man wouldn't that be cool if you could...' but I think this new realism mode is all about not being able to teleport stuff to plants so there must be a way to send a train to the border and have it come back with a load of bitumen/coal/whatever now right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palcontent posted:

Right, nothing can be auto-purchased in realistic mode so everything has to be delivered from the border one way or another. Except immigrants.

How do I get stuff delivered from the border though? Is there a way to make a line with the customs house to bring back Steel or is there a different way to do that?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Volmarias posted:

It's exactly that. Vehicles will treat the border station as any other stop, and you can tell them to load / unload to import / export.

Oh wow, I see now. poo poo I can't believe I didn't try that before.

Edit: Just had my first mass extinction event in the winter because of heating problems :shepface: It's fine we can wait until spring

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 6, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the way to keep stuff on a grid when building in this? I see that I can turn the wireframe on and manually move the roads and stuff around without snapping with the F keys but is there a way to snap everything on the grid or is it just eyeballing it when looking at the grid to make sure everything's even?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You press the wireframe button twice. Once turns it on, twice and a little magnet appears on the icon and things snap to the grid, thrice turns it all off again

Oh hey that helps a ton, thank you!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked this up again with the new patch and have been slowly working my way through a new save with most of the optional stuff enabled (heat, water, waste, but education set to simple) and have been having a good time but I'm still in the phase of the game that I've always gotten through before eventually giving up which is basically getting a construction office running and self sufficient with local goods. I always feel a bit aimless starting out in this with a blank slate which is why I latch onto construction materials as a good first goal to shoot for so I at least don't have to import those anymore. Is this generally a good place to start with? What should I consider expanding/building after that's done? I think once I get those situated is normally when I peter off because I am never quite sure what to do next.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What if I'm RPing a clueless city planner who has no idea what he's doing

You're right tho I just figured I'd ask to see how people usually start their game out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, that helps. I was thinking of going for oil so I can get a better power plant running from that but I'm also pretty far from the border so I'll probably need trains sooner than later so maybe steel is the better option.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Where do I start with garbage processing? I have stands set up and garbage collection is going on but right now I'm just dumping it all in a dump on the edge of town that I'm getting increasingly more anxious about. I have pollution disabled so would an incinerator be enough to take care of it in the immediate future then get separation/recycling going later?

Edit: Oh yeah I love the old photos of eastern european towns during loading screens. Makes me realize just how drat accurate this game looks sometimes :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

euphronius posted:

You can export garbage

(And import it !!)

Well drat.. gonna need to work on that rail network next I think :sweatdrop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Followup question re: garbage collection; forklifts don't seem to be able to move garbage between factory connections (which makes sense) so what is the point of having a factory connection to a dump? Is there a different type of forklift that unlocks later that lets me move stuff around? I basically built a rail dump with claw next to my original dump and wanted to move stuff across the factory connection to the one with the rail connection.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't be the only one who walks around humming the music to this game at basically all hours of the day when I am actively playing it, right? I usually play these games with the music off because I'm watching something on my other monitor or listening to a podcast but god drat the music in this game is catchy and deserves to be listened to while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I, uh, should check my sewage system because p sure I just dragged a pipe from the substation across the map to the discharge and called it a day :effort: