Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've never noticed the 'quality' in any mine drop over time, but then again I've never played a map for more than a few years before running into some game ending bug and quitting.

The best opener I've found is to locate a coal seam and then build my first city as close to it as possible (without building on the hills, because the game will make you hate your life if you try that). I then use conveyors to bring coal down to a storage area before its transferred to a refinery then to a power plant. The storage areas allow you to bud up a buffer of coal in case any buildings have their workforce evaporate. The powerplant itself is built in the city with as much housing surrounding it as possible so workers can just walk to work. Using buses to bring them in always results in a shortage at some point when people abandon their jobs or vanish while on the bus (if they ever get on). That usually provides enough of a stable base to build the country on.

As a bonus you can export the excess coal and electricity for money. If you have iron ore nearby you can also mine and export that.

From there I try and find the nearest oilfield and start pumping that so I can export it. Oil is worth a fair bit and it's easy to refine. Refineries soak up a poo poo load of workers but oil wells are entirely automated so you can put them anywhere and pipe/rail the oil over to your city.

I haven't played in about two weeks now so some of that may no longer work well. But the patch notes I've seen make no references to changes that could affect worker behaviour or resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU