Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Re: the aesthetics of buildings it would be cool if they started out in mint condition and had to be maintained or else get chipped and rusty. But I'd be more interested in getting some dank revolutionary murals for my big chungus brutalist buildings.

Uncle Josef carrying a child on his strong shoulders or that lineup of Engels, Marx and Lenin with the Soviet flag in the background would look pretty sweet on the walls of an otherwise boring residential building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
The Steam discussion section on the game has a link to the road map with a bunch of stuff that is in the works or planned for later additions. Included there is stuff like roadside bus stops, vehicle route planning, police and militia, uranium mining and nuclear warheads / depleted uranium ammunition.

Until Cobalt Thorium G is added however I guess my plans for the ultimate aggression deterrent will have to wait, and I'll just settle for selling my commie vodka across the NATO border to sap and impurify their precious bodily fluids.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Ok, so how the hell do I set up my tracks and semaphores by the large custom houses so that I can have three trains coming and going on a two-track main system without jamming each other to hell?
Poorly drawn sketch:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Poil posted:

I haven't actually played the game, but would this work?

This is sort of what I've been trying to do, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency to if the trains switch tracks to a vacant one if the first one is busy. Maybe I just have to fiddle around more with distances between splits and semaphores vs custom house.

OwlFancier posted:

Generally you would probably want the main line running past the stop to avoid congestion. Then make a branch to/from the stop on either side.

If it was possible I would just loop the tracks around the custom house and have all traffic going in the same direction, but custom houses are exit points on the map and you can't build outside the borders :(

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
To be fair this is still early access. Linked semaphores were recently added to the game so perhaps I need to do some experiments with them. I'm slowly whittling away my supply of rubles importing clothes, electronics and building supplies, and have exhausted my dollars already setting up the rest of the rail and crude oil infrastructure, so having, so it would be nice to get a steady income from exporting fuel, coal, food and alcohol without having to babysit the trains.

I also hosed up my coal ore - factory - power plant - coal storage chain. So I will have to rebuild that part of town. Really annoying that the processing plant can't feed both the power plant and the aggregate storage, it's either or, so I'm stuck with keeping an eye on the storage levels of both and turning the conveyor tower to the storage on and off accordingly.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Yeah, I wish there were variations on factory designs to pick from, or at least possible to pick which sides of the building to use for input/output.

My mistake with the power plant was just tardiness, I knew from earlier tries that I should have put an aggregate storage between the processing plant and the power plant, but I forgot about it while strategically placing a busstop between the two and promptly went on to build everything for rubles.

And yeah, conveyors are a pain in the rear end, especially when trying to cross roads that are already in place

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Annoyances aside I'm having a lot of fun with this, and it runs surprisingly well for an early access game, I've only had one crash to desktop so far.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
There's a road map linked on the Steam page showing police/militias, armed forces, weapons and arms manufacturies and uranium extraction among various other things.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Are you sure its the track by the customs office and not a signal error further down the line? Or the line not properly connecting to where the train wants to go?

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Firos posted:

It’s a single line with no other trains on it. Plus the train has a lightning bolt above it. I suspect this map is cursed though because I just realised that there are no villages or roads except for what I’ve laid, and then the customs offices.

Huh, that's weird. How are the power levels doing? Electrical trains can donk out if the lines supplying it are overloaded.
Worst case scenario just sell the train, redo the tracks where the problem was and buy another trainset, I guess.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Took a look at the road map last night and it seems they're planning on adding resource recycling, garbage collection, customizable industry buildings / mirrored buildings (which will make planning layouts a hell of a lot easier), soil quality for farm placement and hydropower.

Other things included missions to export X amount of resource/product Y within a given period.

W&R is still mostly a sandbox for people who like fiddling with production lines, lots of things are still janky as gently caress, but it's nice to see that the devs are updating regularly, and the modding community is doing a pretty good job coming up with extra content.

E: Here's the roadmap for anyone interested
https://trello.com/b/0haBaHmz/soviet-republic-roadmap

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 19, 2020

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Fighting wildfires with tank mounted, jet engine powered, flame throwers would be extremely metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Lol what the gently caress I hope this dude steps on Lego every day