Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird that episode 4 says that its only been a month since the series started, which seems short.

Yeah, if it had really been a month Lisa and Anne would have been married by then. HEEEEEYOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a lot of nazis being eaten

Wait... nazis get eaten?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My gf put on S3 while we were chilling and I can’t believe how funny this is. It’s like the perfect marriage of Buffy the Vampire Slayer set dressing, suburban vampire chique, but it’s snappy dialogue and rhythm of the writing reminds me of golden era Arrested Development more than anything else.

If I was really in to S3 are 1-2 worth going back for? I usually cannot stand jumping into a series after it starts but I felt like I had basically nothing to catch up on, and then they say it’s only been a month since the start of S1, so I just dove in.

I’m lukewarm on Barrymore but she’s very cute in this and Timothy Olyphant is GD national treasure.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Watch Seasons 1 and 2, they are good. Also Season 3 will make more sense after.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Definitely watch from the beginning, things spiraling even more out of control every single time they solve a problem forever is half the fun of the show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

If I was really in to S3 are 1-2 worth going back for? I usually cannot stand jumping into a series after it starts but I felt like I had basically nothing to catch up on, and then they say it’s only been a month since the start of S1, so I just dove in.

I think this is one of the most consistent shows ever, so yeah, absolutely go back and catch up.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finally caught up on this and it was great. I thought something would come from the support beam but I guess that was a red herring. It's sort of amazing how much weight Ethan Suplee has lost since the early 2000s; good for him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gaunab posted:

Finally caught up on this and it was great. I thought something would come from the support beam but I guess that was a red herring. It's sort of amazing how much weight Ethan Suplee has lost since the early 2000s; good for him.

I can see the support beam coming to bite them in the rear end next season.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Goddamn I am so into this whole show. Although I'm worried I hope Joel dosn't change too much as a zombie. I really like Joel as... Joel. I mean I know we have a lot of surrogate joels but they can't replace Joel...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Alan Tudyk is voicing Gary now, heh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing that really stood out to me is that unlike every other TV show in history... I don't hate the kids in this? They are remarkably not annoying, for being teens, although the boy seems super obviously in his 30s, and his wardrobe is clearly selected to downplay his super cut physique, but they're still believable as quippy youths without being insufferable, I cannot tell you what a rarity I find that to be.

I just basically don't think kids can be funny, but i like these ones.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The actors are both in their early 20's. But yeah they do a great job of not doing what kids do in some other shows, which is create obstacles for the main characters to overcome while preventing the thing people want to see. They both help Sheila and Joel and when they gently caress up Abby and Eric handle it themselves.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I liked Eric's mom basically be a mom when the FBI came by. Made her character more well rounded.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I liked Eric's mom basically be a mom when the FBI came by. Made her character more well rounded.

Yeah that was a great moment.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah that was a crazy scene. We're used to her being so silly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love how she immediately shakes it off then tells them to never make her be serious mom again lmao

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

esperterra posted:

I love how she immediately shakes it off then tells them to never make her be serious mom again lmao

Agreed she's loving perfect

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s basically my mother to a T. She’d way rather being doing bong hits and making nachos for movie night then making sure I did my hw

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My only gripe with the show is that Dr. Wolf hasn't shown up again from her initial appearance. I would've expected at least a mention this season, considering the serbian plotline

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Portia De Rossi retired from acting so don't get your hopes up for that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gaunab posted:

Portia De Rossi retired from acting so don't get your hopes up for that.
:ms:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

My gf put on S3 while we were chilling and I can’t believe how funny this is. It’s like the perfect marriage of Buffy the Vampire Slayer set dressing, suburban vampire chique, but it’s snappy dialogue and rhythm of the writing reminds me of golden era Arrested Development more than anything else.

I’m lukewarm on Barrymore but she’s very cute in this and Timothy Olyphant is GD national treasure.

Honestly the pilot blows but the show picks up steam pretty quickly and it just snowballs from there. Most of S1 is great and S2 is amazing. I think I liked it even better than this season, although it's still right up there.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing that really stood out to me is that unlike every other TV show in history... I don't hate the kids in this? They are remarkably not annoying, for being teens, although the boy seems super obviously in his 30s, and his wardrobe is clearly selected to downplay his super cut physique, but they're still believable as quippy youths without being insufferable, I cannot tell you what a rarity I find that to be.

I just basically don't think kids can be funny, but i like these ones.

The daughter in Bosch is great, and the same actress played on of the most hated kid characters ever on The Walking Dead. The problem is much more often with kids being terribly written than with the actors being bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

Honestly the pilot blows but the show picks up steam pretty quickly and it just snowballs from there. Most of S1 is great and S2 is amazing. I think I liked it even better than this season, although it's still right up there.
Season 2 is better. Which doesn't make this season bad, 2 was just really good TV.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Season 2 is better. Which doesn't make this season bad, 2 was just really good TV.

:agreed:

The first two seasons have this really tight, relentless arc that just continually builds on itself in one glorious crescendo leading up to the S2 finale. This season bounces around a lot more and it's great fun but it doesn't quite have that same driving pressure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This season finale definitely feels like they aren't sure if they're going to get renewed since it kind of wraps up enough.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I very much disagree with that. I think that was absolutely a cliffhanger.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha yeah what? that’s clearly a cliffhanger

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah I think they felt very comfortable with a renew and had some fun exploring some ideas in the show.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I the only one who had their body horror button pushed by that final scene? Stayed with me for days, wasn't even aware that was a phobia of mine.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah that last scene was loving horrifying even with Sheila jumping in, what the hell is that thing doing

also I’m rooting so hard for Abby and Eric and my heart fluttered when she showed up

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

This show is my favorite thing going right now. I love it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Santa Clarita Diet: One long thread or many short ones?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird that episode 4 says that its only been a month since the series started, which seems short.

Each season is two weeks or so I think I read somewhere? And for this season Fillion couldn't come in at all, the original Serbian knight guy only had one day they could shoot for, and Anne had a whole sitcom to go shoot so had to bounce out super early on which was really noticeable and a shame.

Also this is the best poo poo on Netflix, it not getting more press is criminal, and Abby's played by Liv Hewson who is an Aussie and they rock.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe I missed it but one thing is that none of the media or buzz about the show really highlights how funny it is. i really thought it was gonna be a drama until the jokes started flying in from every direction.

I also guess I never thought Tim & Drew were comedians or really noticed their timing chops. Olyphant is just a bad motherfucker in everything and i don't think ive watched a Barrymore movie since, uh, jesus was it Charlie's Angels?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe I missed it but one thing is that none of the media or buzz about the show really highlights how funny it is. i really thought it was gonna be a drama until the jokes started flying in from every direction.

I also guess I never thought Tim & Drew were comedians or really noticed their timing chops. Olyphant is just a bad motherfucker in everything and i don't think ive watched a Barrymore movie since, uh, jesus was it Charlie's Angels?

The writing and the chemistry they have just works. This is a best ingredients kind of show.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

No media said "hey watch this, it's by the creator of Better Off Ted, you know, that show everyone went apeshit for after it got cancelled." I woulda been riding Santa Clarita Diet from season 1 if I'd known, instead of coming in when S3 came out.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Why is this thread only 2 pages long? Does nobody appreciate good tv shows anymore? Although I will say that the daughter continues to be the most unlikeable character and her acting is ACTUALLY cringeworthy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

No. Abby is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Abby is rad as poo poo.