Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I know it's already generally understood, but I feel like there should be a codified rule about "posting about posting." It's a pretty common probation reason and there's nothing in the rules about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the issues is that you have a hell of a lot of people right now who don't want to debate and discuss but rather cast out anybody who disagrees with them and then sit around and screech about how everybody but them is an abhorrent monster. This is why I've mentioned my criticisms of the "anything that even looks potentially vaguely racist is bad" stuff. It definitely seems like the forum orthodoxy is some pretty extreme far left views. Instead of arguing against the actual substance of everything to the right of that there's a mad rush to create an inquisitorial attitude looking for anything that can be argued to be bigotry of some sort. You see this every time somebody declares literally every Trump supporter is automatically a bigot of some sort. Sorry but that just isn't true; yes every white supremacist is probably a Trump supporter but not every Trump supporter is a zig heiling KKK member. That just isn't the reality of the situation. This is also why I deliberately asked "is voting for Trump in 2020 a racist act?" It's very telling that no yes or no answer was actually given. I suspect that the answer for a lot of people is "yes, ban literally every Trump supporter." You've even seen posters have exactly that opinion here. You see this overall politically in the left right now where everybody to the right of Marx gets labeled alt right, alt right adjacent, a collaborator, or whatever. If you aren't 100% on board with these extreme left views then they scream pejoratives at you, go on the attack, and look for any reason they can possibly come up with to label you a bigot and therefore a bad person who should not be listened to. Instead of arguing it's shouting pejoratives and circling the wagons.

That is not debate; that is an inquisition. You especially see that when you have people saying "you're really concerned about that. Are YOOOOOOUUUU a Trump supporter? Hmm? Hmm? Hmm? You sound like a Trump supporter" while they finger the punish button. This is why I don't post much in D&D anymore; it's gone completely insane. This is why it's incredibly bad that nobody will give a clear definition of what racism is. What happens if we end up with a moderator who believes that anybody who has ever cast a vote for any Republican politician is automatically a racist? They'll be breaking the rules by registering and making any posts at all. I find that unacceptable.

Of course now people are immediately going to accuse me of being a Trump supporter. I'm neither American left nor American right at the moment; I'm thoroughly disgusted with the behavior of both major parties as well as America's political system in general. I've always leaned left but the American left is so far left right now it's lost me entirely.
Expecting the mods to come up with a clear definition of what "counts" as racism is a fool's errand, though. Same goes for sexism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, or what have you. It's not because MODS BAD, but because there probably isn't a single person on the planet who could actually come up with such a definition that would satisfy everyone. And any attempt at doing so would just get bogged down in a million what-ifs and arguments about how is posting X really racist if I believe I'm not being racist???

There is always, always, always going to be some subjective judgment when it comes to whether or not a post is offensive to <disadvantaged minority>. Creating a "definition" is only going to lead to pointless rules-lawyering that will go nowhere and satisfy no one.