Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Surprised we don't have a thread to tackle race relations. Well, we have plenty that deal with white supremacy but what about the history, historical burden, and struggle to get white and black folks to talk about the past and honestly address the injustice that continues to today?

In this thread I hope to accumulate articles on this topic, and hopefully glean a better idea of where we really are and if there might possibly be a ray of hope of adequately addressing the history of slavery, Jim Crow, red lining, lynching, and more casual racism.

First up, a story about one man's quest to learn as much as he can about a lynching in Virginia, and the struggle of what to do with the names he has gathered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a fun question to ask someone in California is if we were so much nicer to natives than other states like our history books imply, where are the tribes that are native to California? why are most of our tribes from the great plains? hint: we had death camps

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

they're bad, OP

Larry Parrish posted:

a fun question to ask someone in California is if we were so much nicer to natives than other states like our history books imply, where are the tribes that are native to California? why are most of our tribes from the great plains? hint: we had death camps
California in general has a disgustingly racist history like every state, and the country as a whole. wasn't it the first state to institute some kind of anti-immigration measure with the Chinese Exclusion Act?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a Black friend so relations are looking good, thanks for asking.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I thought the Spanish set up something more like explicit death camps but in the post gold rush era it was just more widespread death squad type groups for the organized murder.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

I thought the Spanish set up something more like explicit death camps but in the post gold rush era it was just more widespread death squad type groups for the organized murder.

the missions were brutal and culturally destructive but there were a few corporate scale gold mining operations that straight up rounded up natives for slaves and worked them to death, which only ended after the civil war because of abolitionist guerilla squads. im dead serious. but yeah the death squad thing was pretty common too.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Race relations is pretty broad subject OP. On incarceration, haven't read these whole list but read the list but they've got some books I've read and are from @prisonculture on twitter who I don't remember disliking, which is pretty good for twitter. (1) (2) I still lol to this day I didn't read The New Jim Crow earlier, would have knocked me out of my liberalism earlier.

Also N+1 has an article I liked about the New Zealand shooting which probably falls under the threads thesis The Responsibility Isn’t Theirs Alone: The killings in New Zealand.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh hey, black churches being burned in the south. This is probably fine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...m=.1dda17e0d757

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bilirubin posted:

oh hey, black churches being burned in the south. This is probably fine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...m=.1dda17e0d757

wtf

I hope president bernie cracks down on this poo poo

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Wow that's cool. I have two myself, but its def really cool for you that you have one.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
isn't there a race relations thread tag? the "nee nee nee doo doo doo" one?

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

innt their a whole subforum for race relations

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I also own property op

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

i know this is about American race relations, but goddamn, the Spanish empire was like if the nazis were more successful at genociding jews and other "lesser people"

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I am married to an Asian person.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I have a black co-worker who I got hired and then got converted from our capitalist hell of "contractor" to a full time employee.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im black, i used to have two white friends but then one became racist so now its 1

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We should rename this the racism thread. "Race relations" as a term implies that races exist on a sort of even playing field and some friction is natural, when in reality Black people and other PoC are oppressed because of specific materialist reasons.

I don't agree with everything the Fields sisters argue, but this interview got me to read Racecraft a while back and think more about the origins of racism and how it functions today
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/06/karen-barbara-fields-racecraft-dolezal-racism/

I haven't read this interview but am including it because it's title is literally "Beyond Race Relations"
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/racecraft-racism-barbara-karen-fields

I know lol Jacobin but it's an alright place to start

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
I like people from all ethnicities. How does white guilt work if you’re a first generation immigrant? I’m well aware of the bad poo poo America has been getting up to since pretty much day 1, but there’s zero chance any of my ancestors had a hand in it.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I am married to an Asian person.

same

also my marriage is same sex and we have sex at the same time

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnlRrxXv-v8

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kill whitey

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

IDONTPOST posted:

innt their a whole subforum for race relations

Never noticed.

Never post outside CSPAM

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

We should rename this the racism thread. "Race relations" as a term implies that races exist on a sort of even playing field and some friction is natural, when in reality Black people and other PoC are oppressed because of specific materialist reasons.

Good idea

Also on the plain racism front: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.caf186545244

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

drjuggalo posted:

im black, i used to have two white friends but then one became racist so now its 1

good work, you’re almost done

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Done.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i'm against racism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this the thread to do racism in?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Bip Roberts posted:

the dull iberian mind could never attain the heights of organization necessary for proper extermination camps, and must resort to the chaos of death squads for their many genocides

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I heard on a podcast that racism as we know it today was invented by the Portuguese when religion was no longer thought of as legitimate reason to keep people in slavery. True?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It was capitalism, op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
idpol literally hacked my brain

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tastykake posted:

the dull iberian mind could never attain the heights of organization necessary for proper extermination camps, and must resort to the chaos of death squads for their many genocides

i dunno the hutus got some great numbers in on the tutsis in only a few months, that's pretty good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grevling posted:

I heard on a podcast that racism as we know it today was invented by the Portuguese when religion was no longer thought of as legitimate reason to keep people in slavery. True?

all of life’s problems ultimately boil down to the Portuguese.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what are the best slurs for white people i want to see all of them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

white

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jose posted:

I saw a goober on facebook claim she was at the grocery store and a "gang of young blacks" called her a honky. I kinda hope that comes back.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

Bloke.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Grevling posted:

I'm a moron but it sounds right in spirit, iirc ferdinand/isabella/the church were not supportive, although not to the point of hostility, of Columbus & Spaniard colonist just enslaving and working the native population to death. I'd imagine racism+calvinism/protestentism eventually solved this problem so we got to have that smooth slavery that was practiced in our great United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Jose posted:

Racist
Jizz rag
White n word
Cumstain
Ethnically disabled