Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m not expecting a spy simulator, I’m expecting characters who were hunting a psychopath to not be casually fine with suddenly working with said psychopath.

They are not law enforcement. Their job was to track down the killer to expose the international conspiracy. Besides the obvious nature of Eve being obsessed, they could carelsss about a hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Besides, Eve's work all being off record leaves them open to doing nutso poo poo like this imo

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Just enjoy things. loving goons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Faustian Bargain posted:

Just enjoy things. loving goons.

Probably why the site is tanking, too many people enjoying things.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Tough decision for Nico...erratic, emotionally unavailable wife or sweet redhead with giant bazongas?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

They are not law enforcement. Their job was to track down the killer to expose the international conspiracy. Besides the obvious nature of Eve being obsessed, they could carelsss about a hitman.

This isn’t about whether they’re competent cops or spies. This show is clearly not in any real way a realistic depiction of espionage work. It’s about the fact that it’s absolutely bizarre storytelling for, when our characters state that they just need a pretty lady to infiltrate the AA group, for literally no reason they choose the unstable psychopath that they had been hunting for many episodes and who personally murdered a friend of a few of their number.

The concept of the uneasy alliance is a well-worn dramatic trope, but you actually have to set it up and it helps to make the characters actually uneasy about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll get over it, i have faith in you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My biggest gripe is that Villanelle was not nearly close enough to hit Aaron with the book.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Fakename posted:

This isn’t about whether they’re competent cops or spies. This show is clearly not in any real way a realistic depiction of espionage work. It’s about the fact that it’s absolutely bizarre storytelling for, when our characters state that they just need a pretty lady to infiltrate the AA group, for literally no reason they choose the unstable psychopath that they had been hunting for many episodes and who personally murdered a friend of a few of their number.

The concept of the uneasy alliance is a well-worn dramatic trope, but you actually have to set it up and it helps to make the characters actually uneasy about it.

yeah i feel like if this hadn't been already decided as a Good Show people would be dunking on that plot beat really loving hard

like the Fast and Furious movies did something similar-ish, with about as much setup, recently and basically everyone who's not a huge Statham mark hated the gently caress out of it

because it turns out, when you face-turn a character who's done really, really awful poo poo and in particular awful poo poo that strikes a personal nerve for the main cast, you REALLY need to address that beyond a handwave for the turn to work

and when your highbrow lesbian spy show is comparable to loving Fate of the Furious you should maybe step back and go "okay is this really what we finna do"

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah i feel like if this hadn't been already decided as a Good Show people would be dunking on that plot beat really loving hard

like the Fast and Furious movies did something similar-ish, with about as much setup, recently and basically everyone who's not a huge Statham mark hated the gently caress out of it

because it turns out, when you face-turn a character who's done really, really awful poo poo and in particular awful poo poo that strikes a personal nerve for the main cast, you REALLY need to address that beyond a handwave for the turn to work

and when your highbrow lesbian spy show is comparable to loving Fate of the Furious you should maybe step back and go "okay is this really what we finna do"
Yes, the cold-blooded murderer who literally threw a woman in traffic and sent a celebratory text message to her horrified handler/girlfriend is totally doing a face-turn.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kenny is the one person left from the last team who is a decent enough human being to care about how hosed it is that Villanelle is working with Carolyn and Eve, and he is conveniently not on the current team any more :(

V is most certainly not getting a face turn, at any rate. And if she does that is when my disbelief shall no longer suspend. Carolyn and Eve doing some dirty poo poo for their mostly off the books mission doesn't bug me. Especially if we get some kind of explanation before season's end on what exactly Carolyn and Konstantin are up to.

e: i've also never considered this show high brow, but then I read the books so maybe that's why I view it all as sexy spy thriller schlock

I will say however that the show feels like it's been missing something w/ the new showrunner. But for the most part she's done a bang up job keeping the general tone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

esperterra posted:

Especially if we get some kind of explanation before season's end on what exactly Carolyn and Konstantin are up to.

I'm reserving judgement till then. At the moment some things aren't making much sense, but those two are clearly working together so if we find out what they're up to then it might come together.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
episode 7: Give me the recipe!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

episode 7: Give me the recipe!

I just got there lmao

also "... We're running out of good safe words."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I just got there lmao

also "... We're running out of good safe words."

best episode of the season by far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

best episode of the season by far.

This is amazing so far goddamn

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thanks for the threesome tho

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poor Tits McGee, i'm betting Nico gets locked up

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is episode 7 out already?!?!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
With the episode set in Rome I just imagine this show being part of the John Wick universe where assassins are everywhere and the authorities don't interfere.[

The actor playing Aaron Peel is doing a superb job at making me wish him dead in a very painful way. Kudos.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is episode 7 out already?!?!

It airs in Aus and I think France? early. Plus AMC's premiere service I think also drops it early.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am enjoying this season more than the first. I don't give a poo poo about realism long as its entertaining and it is.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grosssssssssssssss

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ villanelle

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I’ve been saying since halfway through S1 that Eve should kill Nico to prove her love for Villanelle and the show better deliver

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Tough decision for Nico...erratic, emotionally unavailable wife or sweet redhead with giant bazongas?

welp

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m confused about the timetable of that murder. Was Niko knocked out for days somehow or did they just not show us what happened until later?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also like

we all know this show ends with Villanelle killing Eve, right? like, it's in the loving title and the main promo pic is Villanelle about to sexily choke Eve out. there's not really any way this is going anywhere else and, when it's that telegraphed, i'm not sure dragging it on for longer is the best move

e: I hope I don't sound like I hate this show, I'm alright with it, I'm just not quite as in love with it as other goons apparently and some of my nitpicks almost seem comically obvious for how little I see them mentioned.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think the title is actually literal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a pun anyway, yeah? If a little obscure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also like

we all know this show ends with Villanelle killing Eve, right? like, it's in the loving title and the main promo pic is Villanelle about to sexily choke Eve out. there's not really any way this is going anywhere else and, when it's that telegraphed, i'm not sure dragging it on for longer is the best move

e: I hope I don't sound like I hate this show, I'm alright with it, I'm just not quite as in love with it as other goons apparently and some of my nitpicks almost seem comically obvious for how little I see them mentioned.

I'm pretty sure they said they're stopping at S3, but not 100% sure. Also I always took the title as being able to be literal or 'killing' Eve as in killing the person she used to be, whether that means her going bad or taking matters into her own hands and ending up broken after killing V or someone else.

At the end of the second book (spoilered despite the stories being mostly different, but they might crib some for it for future season) V elaborately fakes Eve's death when they need to go on the run, after it's discovered Eve's boss (not Carolyn, she isn't in the books) is part of the Twelve and they've sent V to kill her, and are clearly going to kill V when the job is done. Third book isn't out yet, but it's intended to be the last.

Few diff directions they could go imo. But I do agree the show shouldn't last much longer beyond maybe 3 or 4 seasons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

One thing I like more about the books is that V and Eve only encounter eachother maybe twice til the end of the second book. I appreciate them having more scenes in S2, but unless they reveal Carolyn/Konstantin are working with the Twelve or something, and this is all part of an elaborate plan, I'll have wished we spent more time with them doing their own stuff leading up to their working together having higher stakes tbh

Still love the season tho. I think it has a lot of scenes I'd say are my fave in the series, but overall S1 was been better. So far anyway. We'll see how it ends.

mathematematic
May 22, 2019

i just wish they would cut to the chase with the twelve conflict already. i love the sexy lesbian drama as much as anyone else but at this rate it's going to take a million seasons to get anywhere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mathematematic posted:

i just wish they would cut to the chase with the twelve conflict already. i love the sexy lesbian drama as much as anyone else but at this rate it's going to take a million seasons to get anywhere.

This is my big problem with season 2. I'm assuming?? the finale will tie us back into that, probably with some kind of reveal that Carolyn has been working with them in some form and perhaps got Konstantin back into their good graces, or at the very least are working with a rival organization or smth. This season having very little to do with the Twelve has been a bummer for me. They're a big throughline in the books and most of the second one is Eve getting closer and closer to finding out who these people are, with V still working for them but becoming increasingly harder for them to control, leading to the ending I put in spoilers up above. Would have loved for this season to do something more along those lines, rather than having them working together on this MI6 stuff.

It's still all very good, but it's lacking something for me. Part of it is I feel the new writing is a bit contrived at points (the episode where V finds herself vulnerable and goes to that Julian guy for aid and it turns out he's a giant creeper was a big eyeroll for me tbh) and I miss PWB's voice at times, tho Fennell has done well enough keeping the tone of last season. The other part is it just feeling very disconnected from what the first season built up as the big 'bad'.

Them ramping up the suspicions w/r/t Carolyn this past episode tho has me hopeful there will be a big reveal there, and we'll be back on track for Twelve shenanigans next season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I recommend the books to anyone who likes the show. There's not too much in common other than the main characters and the Twelve, and a couple kills the first season borrowed, and another the second book borrowed from S1 as a cute nod. Eve and Villanelle as portrayed in the show are p much ripped from the pages, but the way the story unfolds is a lot different and I dig it. It's more pulpy and sexy, like a female Bond if he were a hitman rather than a spy, and hilarious at times.

The audiobooks are very good and make for p quick listens (6-7 hours each?), the lady who reads them owns.

Also Niko and Eve's marriage in them is a lot more compelling imo, she's a lot more open with him and even has him helping with some of his academic friends at one point. It's still strained but you can feel the love there much more than on the show and imo that's far more interesting than the way they've portrayed it on the show.

Anywho it's a good Villanelle fix for you between seasons if you want it!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kind of weird that we're at the season finale already, yet it feels like not much actually "happened" until this last episode. It's been enjoyable but definitely not as bonkers as Season 1.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

Kind of weird that we're at the season finale already, yet it feels like not much actually "happened" until this last episode. It's been enjoyable but definitely not as bonkers as Season 1.

Yeah, for as much as I've enjoyed the season, and for as much as every episode (except the second) has been better than the last, we've kind of been treading water here and that rustles me. It's been more a season of character development, especially for Eve, and while I am 1000% down with that--and my fave thing about this show is how much of a character study it is!-- I do wish we'd seen what I have been assuming to be the overall story arc, w/r/t The Twelve, move forward along with all of that development of Eve, V and their budding friendship/partnership.

It's especially odd in contrast to just how fast the plot ran forward in season 1. Season 1 felt like it was developing and changing and upping the stakes constantly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
screaming in 10 languages about episode 7 what the fuuuuuuck I thought she was looking to see if he was asleep so she could jerk off. WHICH WOULD BE CREEPY ENOUGH

also I might be a bad person for being way madder at Eve about that than I am at Villanelle for, you know, being a serial killer

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah Eve's descent into being a lovely person is kind of the point imo. She thinks she's nice and has convinced so many people in her life that she's nice (and I think really is a good person at heart!), but she's got this dark streak and morbid curiosity and is slowly turning into Carolyn 2.0. She's just not honest about it yet lmao so she comes off way worse than Villanelle, who is a loving murderer but is, for the most part, upfront about who she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

screaming in 10 languages about episode 7 what the fuuuuuuck I thought she was looking to see if he was asleep so she could jerk off. WHICH WOULD BE CREEPY ENOUGH

also I might be a bad person for being way madder at Eve about that than I am at Villanelle for, you know, being a serial killer

They almost hooked up like two episodes ago. This was extremely telegraphed.