Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Henchman of Santa posted:

They almost hooked up like two episodes ago. This was extremely telegraphed.

Also this, it was a matter of time for Hugo and Eve to hook up. Even if Villanelle hadn't unwittingly given her that push, it was bound to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Yeah, for as much as I've enjoyed the season, and for as much as every episode (except the second) has been better than the last, we've kind of been treading water here and that rustles me. It's been more a season of character development, especially for Eve, and while I am 1000% down with that--and my fave thing about this show is how much of a character study it is!-- I do wish we'd seen what I have been assuming to be the overall story arc, w/r/t The Twelve, move forward along with all of that development of Eve, V and their budding friendship/partnership.

It's especially odd in contrast to just how fast the plot ran forward in season 1. Season 1 felt like it was developing and changing and upping the stakes constantly.

I was expecting to learn a lot more about the Twelve, and what the deal is with Carolyn and Konstantin. Instead, they just sort of...hang around her kitchen the whole season?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

I was expecting to learn a lot more about the Twelve, and what the deal is with Carolyn and Konstantin. Instead, they just sort of...hang around her kitchen the whole season?

That feels like a big missed opportunity to me. I feel like they have a twist coming for Carolyn, or some kind of double cross, so maybe that's why they didn't focus on her so much? But we had that brief episode where she was a POV character for a chunk of it, and I wanted moooore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

esperterra posted:

Also this, it was a matter of time for Hugo and Eve to hook up. Even if Villanelle hadn't unwittingly given her that push, it was bound to happen.

I still stand by what I said before

Regy Rusty posted:

Grosssssssssssssss

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

I still stand by what I said before

Private school boys need love too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rocksicles posted:

Private school boys need love too.

actually, they're wankers for a reason :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

esperterra posted:

S1 was been better. So far anyway. We'll see how it ends.

Yeah, a lot depends on how it ends. There are a lot of loose ends that could either be tied up into a satisfying conclusion or dropped (or left for season 3) which would make season two as a whole feel pretty weak.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Finale spoilers: lmao Villanelle fully baiting Eve into killing Raymond when she could have just shot him herself :discourse:

oh poo poo there's still like 10min left :eyepop:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mathematematic
May 22, 2019

finale: so where exactly is eve gonna go? besides a hospital. carolyn/konstantin/the twelve plotline was still super cryptic but at least konstantin gets to see his kiddo. hopefully.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mathematematic posted:

finale: so where exactly is eve gonna go? besides a hospital. carolyn/konstantin/the twelve plotline was still super cryptic but at least konstantin gets to see his kiddo. hopefully.

Finale: Seemed pretty cut and dry to me, Carolyn/MI6 made a deal with the Twelve to hold off on killing Konstantin and V, til they could finish using them for their off the books assassination of Peel. What this means for the whole 'MI6 trying to find out who the Twelve is' thing from S1 I would hope will be explored more in a season 3. Whether there's a real connection there, and there are people high up in MI6 working with or part of the Twelve, or this is just a temporary truce or what.

Still some loose ends, but imo that's good going into a third season we knew was coming since this one started airing. They tied up way more than I thought they would in the finale.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Poor poor stupid Eve

I hope she makes some better life decisions next season

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This season was low key Trash TV

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

This season was low key Trash TV

I think I'm done with it. Or at the very least I'll watch the next season in a binge once it's streaming or something. This season was entertaining enough but I'm not sure there's much more gas in the story tank.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
A fan has hacked the BBCone twitter account:

https://twitter.com/BBCOne

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CeeJee posted:

A fan has hacked the BBCone twitter account:

https://twitter.com/BBCOne

That might be part of the weird marketing BBCUK has been doing tbh, there's an answering machine you can call tied to a billboard (mentioned in one of the tweets) and stuff.

e: yah def part of the marketing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Premiere tonight!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's on iPlayer now if you can't wait for the UK BBC broadcast. Looking forward to see how they've interpreted Bellingcat with how they portray Bitter Pill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I feel like Eve is only still in this show because her name's in the title. Although actually, thinking about it, most of the characters seem to be pretty much just still around to keep the show going. I wasn't bored watching this episode, but I am wondering whether they're going anywhere at all with this season or if it's just going to circle around the status quo indefinitely.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I haven't watched this episode yet and am not sure if I'm going to, but I know what you mean. Eve's handler, the guy with the white beard, had nothing to do last season. He's a fun character but bringing him back was a huge mistake and really cheapened the show for me.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Judging by the size of Bitter Pill's office it looks like they do a better job fundraising than I do.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watching now, and Eve spilling wine on her floor then wiping it up with the toilet paper roll she has on her nightstand is a very big mood.

e: I enjoyed the episode, but it felt like the second episode of the season instead of a premiere if that makes any sense? weird vibe. jodie comer owns tho and there's a crazy russian lady chewing scenery so that's basically all i need

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 14, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Human Tornada posted:

I haven't watched this episode yet and am not sure if I'm going to, but I know what you mean. Eve's handler, the guy with the white beard, had nothing to do last season. He's a fun character but bringing him back was a huge mistake and really cheapened the show for me.

Eve is Sandra Oh's character.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Eve is Sandra Oh's character.

Oh yeah, duh.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pretty lackluster first episode, tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's more like it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hard disagree. thought that episode was outright bad

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh word?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think the Villanelle stuff has officially crossed the line into ridiculous broad comedy (and the whole clown thing just reeks of “people like the costumes, let’s do it again but MORE”), and the Eve side is dreary and she’s just turned into a miserable dipshit. Performances are still good of course but I honestly don’t really care about any of the characters anymore

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The clown makeup was dope

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The clown thing is not even close to being the most ridiculous costume Villanelle has done. In fact, it seems like a downright reasonable disguise for infiltrating a child's birthday party.
I've stopped caring about the meta-plot, honestly, because it's just generic spy conspiracy bullshit that'll never resolve in a satisfying way, who cares?
Give me Jodie Comer murdering people in ridiculous ways with Sandra Oh being lovely and depressed on the side, that's the good poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I for one am glad they seem to be focusing down on the Twelve again, because I like the silly meta-plot and wish season 2 had more of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

hard disagree. thought that episode was outright bad
The whole time I was just wondering what the point is. The show feels like it's going nowhere. Deliberately. They're going to drag it out forever because they don't want it to end. This season is going to end in basically the same place it started because the show should be over already.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've enjoyed the show season to season, but I really wish PWB had stayed on. Switching showrunners each year was a neat idea but I think it backfired.

I expect this season to be meandering with spots of brilliance (mostly due to the actors) like last year.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

2nd episode way better than the first but I have to agree that it doesn't seem to be actually going anywhere fast. It's not keeping up with the pace of the novels but maybe that's the point, I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season should end like Hannibal (the book/movie) with Villanelle and Eve running off together, it’s the only way to get out of this relentless holding pattern where they’re separated and think about each other a lot before finally meeting up again

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Finally, after Episode 3 we're finally getting somewhere!

Villanelle and the baby was adorable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, this felt more like what I personally love out of the show. I'm glad they didn't wait til the rear end end of the season for Eve and V to run into eachother, too. Them drawing it out for a third time would have just been annoying tbh.

If this season continues to focus on the Twelve/etc I will be quite pleased.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Moses posted:

Judging by the size of Bitter Pill's office it looks like they do a better job fundraising than I do.

They're just the front for some MI6 disinformation fuckery. Oh, wait :v:

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The clown thing is not even close to being the most ridiculous costume Villanelle has done. In fact, it seems like a downright reasonable disguise for infiltrating a child's birthday party.
I've stopped caring about the meta-plot, honestly, because it's just generic spy conspiracy bullshit that'll never resolve in a satisfying way, who cares?
Give me Jodie Comer murdering people in ridiculous ways with Sandra Oh being lovely and depressed on the side, that's the good poo poo.
Clown disguise has a proud history in assassin circles.

At this point I've no idea what the conspiracy plot was supposed to be but thankfully it doesn't detract from the rest of the ridiculous stuff in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

They're just the front for some MI6 disinformation fuckery. Oh, wait :v:

I know they're based on Bellingcat, and they said Kenny was an open source investigator, but they've done gently caress all open source investigation so far. The most Bellingcat thing they've done so far is the boss giving people whatever time they need to work on the stories they want to do, which is also how we operate at Bellingcat. Our office in real life is one small room that sits 6 people somewhere in The Hague, not some lovely open planned office with a beer fridge and table football.