Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Have we all stopped watching this?

Episode 5 was incredible. Give Jodie Comer all the awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Episode 5 owned

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
S3 is just so empty, though. What's the drama? What's the conflict? What's the jeopardy? What emotions are we meant to be feeling?

Stuff just happens wryly and stylishly for 45 minutes until it ends. I'll still keep watching it, because it's enjoyable enough, but I don't think it's got much merit really.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Episode 5 was incredible.
Taken on its own, it was fantastic. It's just that the whole show seems to have run out of reasons to exist. Either Eve and Villanelle should have run off to be together or one of them should have killed the other. That's what the story was building to and then it just didn't happen because then the show would be over.

The Perfect Element posted:

S3 is just so empty, though. What's the drama? What's the conflict? What's the jeopardy? What emotions are we meant to be feeling?

Stuff just happens wryly and stylishly for 45 minutes until it ends. I'll still keep watching it, because it's enjoyable enough, but I don't think it's got much merit really.
:same:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Well The Twelve are busy having people killed and Eve wants to get to the bottom of it. I'm sure it'll pick up now they killed off her husband (who really should have been dead at the end of Season 2 but whatever.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've enjoyed this season, but it definitely took a couple episodes to really get into the swing of things imo. It's slow going, but I'm glad they're going back to The Twelve and don't mind them taking the extra time to get there again, or whatever. Season 2 kind of fully dropped the ball on the main conspiracy of the show and I like that this season seems to be going back to it, at least.

However if they reset us back to Eve and Villanelle on opposite sides/whatever for season four, that's going to be annoying as gently caress. They need to either kill Eve off or take a page out of the books and have them need to run off together because The Twelve wants them both dead so we can finally change up the dynamic and give them both a goal to work toward.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao i love this show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This shows just boring now tbh

murder wives ending can redeem it tho

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I haven't read the thread, but I need to ask if I can watch season 3 without watching the previous 2.

They show so many commercials for this that I had to look into it, and I've seen the first two episodes, but between them and season 3 they want me to pay money, if you can believe such a thing.

I will abide by the judgement of the thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You really shouldn't bother if you're not starting from the top. Season one is the best season, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I haven't read the thread, but I need to ask if I can watch season 3 without watching the previous 2.

They show so many commercials for this that I had to look into it, and I've seen the first two episodes, but between them and season 3 they want me to pay money, if you can believe such a thing.

I will abide by the judgement of the thread.

I believe the first two seasons are on Hulu, and they usually offer free trials for you to binge-watch it.

My wife and I have been watching from the beginning, and we both agree it goes downhill in a major way after Season 1.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

esperterra posted:

You really shouldn't bother if you're not starting from the top. Season one is the best season, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I believe the first two seasons are on Hulu, and they usually offer free trials for you to binge-watch it.

My wife and I have been watching from the beginning, and we both agree it goes downhill in a major way after Season 1.

Cool, I'll just hold off until I've got enough Hulu stuff to fill a month. Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of forgot about this show for a bit as there were other things to watch and, yeah, this is kind of fun if pointless so far. I'm just on Episode 4 which was pretty good overall but :wtf: Dasha's plan. Did I miss something or did she track down Eve's husband, move to a village Poland, learn Polish and then timed to murder the guy just as Eve arrives so that she sees him die but did nothing to find out who killed him. And then got Villanelle to come over at the same time and hope that they ran into each other? I understand it's a plot to get Eve and Villanelle to break up for good but jeez.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Cool, I'll just hold off until I've got enough Hulu stuff to fill a month. Thanks!

I recommend Fargo, Atlanta, Terriers, Justified, 30 Rock, Happy Endings, Venture Bros., Veronica Mars, Shrill, Party Down, Wu-Tang: An American Saga.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FX on Hulu is maybe the best thing to come out of the Disney/Fox merger. I’m jealous of you all

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Kind of forgot about this show for a bit as there were other things to watch and, yeah, this is kind of fun if pointless so far. I'm just on Episode 4 which was pretty good overall but :wtf: Dasha's plan. Did I miss something or did she track down Eve's husband, move to a village Poland, learn Polish and then timed to murder the guy just as Eve arrives so that she sees him die but did nothing to find out who killed him. And then got Villanelle to come over at the same time and hope that they ran into each other? I understand it's a plot to get Eve and Villanelle to break up for good but jeez.

The funniest bit of all that is he didn't even die from a pitchfork through the loving throat!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dell_Zincht posted:

The funniest bit of all that is he didn't even die from a pitchfork through the loving throat!
Well I haven't seen that yet, oops :v:

But the other funny thing is that apparently Dasha didn't get Villanelle to go to Poland (which is what it looked like in E4) and she just decided to go see her family home in Russia instead, because... hiccups? I'm sure it all makes sense eventually. E: lol no I suck at watching TV, they did have that conversation with Constantin in the cable car.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 30, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked this finale, for the most part. The season, too. It felt super disjointed, though. Slow in the beginning, and then a bunch of stuff started happening and there wasn't much (or sometimes any) real connective tissue between episodes, beyond the mystery of how Kenny died, and even that kinda ebbed and flowed with many of Carolyn's scenes more focused on Asha Greyjoy.

Eve is easily the worst part of this show now. Oh kills it, especially when she has scenes with Konstantin, but the character feels like it has no real direction and leaves the ending of the finale feeling really weird, because I just don't care about what happens with her. I'd rather watch Villanelle and Konstantin's wild ride.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

the character feels like it has no real direction

The whole show has no direction. This entire season was a whole lot of nothing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tiggum posted:

The whole show has no direction. This entire season was a whole lot of nothing.

Agreed, but the characters within it at least had forward momentum for the most part. Carolyn was stalled for a while, but the worst about this is Eve. Konstantin meanwhile had probably the most consistently told storyline, and Villanelle's trajectory was imho good though it jumped around and felt disjointed in spots. But she had a clear character arc that felt like it built off of season two.

Eve though like idk what this showrunner wanted to do with her, really.

At this point she shoulda just died last year tbh

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The drop in quality is embarrassing. They should cancel this poo poo. Villanelle just killing people in bright blue outfits in the tube (that has CCTV up the rear end) is just so ridiculous that I couldn't roll my eyes harder. We get it, she's cool and conflicted, do something with it!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk if I'd personally use the word embarrassing. It's still better than most shows on TV imho, but the quality of the acting carries so much of the show. That said it's still been a huge step down from S1 these past two years. I know PWB didn't really have any plans or ideas to give to the second season showrunner, but I wish Fennell and Heathcoate had worked together a bit more transitioning from 2 to 3. If they did it certainly doensn't feel like it.

Here's hoping the next season showrunner can turn it around. Or at least conclude it so it can end before it turns into a literal trash fire tbh. Right now I still dig it even if I wish it were still as good as season 1.

e: it's like every person who takes over is afraid to actually drive the story forward and it lowkey drives me nuts how hard the wheels keep spinning

i know i've said it a bunch of times but the show really needed to just do what the second book did, or at least something similar to it. use the twelve to the story's advantage. have both v and eve piss them off so much they have no choice but to go on the run together 'cause the twelve wants them both dead. do literally anything.

this season 100% lost any chemistry that eve and v had before so it's going to be interesting to see if they can even recapture it for season 4. they need to if the show is going to have them working together in some way next year.

e2: i?? guess this season was trying to reverse the roles in a sense, with eve accepting her 'monster' or whatever more and v seemingly trying to cast hers aside. but it didn't land at all.

lmao the finale was such a wet fart in the end

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2020

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was talking to my boss about the finale and we came to the conclusion that Eve should have died in the finale last year. She was completely extraneous to the plot this year (Carolyn could have just as easily deputized the journalist guy to look into Kenny's death), and the stuff for which she was necessary was the worst stuff. Murdering Eve even works as a better catalyst for Villanelle's plot than "is bored now."

Edit: How weak was the plotting this season? Carolyn got a new boss at work who was revealed to be a member of the big secret evil cabal that is ostensibly the villain of the series and it barely even mattered and he's dead now.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 2, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, having Eve's death be the catalyst for Villanelle's storyline of being seemingly over the killing would have made it resonate a lot more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Eve should have died in the finale last year.

Pretty sure the only reason that didn't happen is because her name's in the title.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the point in anything that happened this season

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:iiam:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haven't watched the last two/three episodes yet and you guys are bumming me out.

I want my murder wives on the run together, entering traditional competitions throughout the world to fund their operations

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
It's been a while since i've seen a show drop off this much from it's first season. I can't quite put my finger on what isn't working, but I think it might be that the writing just isn't there any more? Also, Harry Bradbeer directed the first two episodes of season 1, then went on to direct almost the entirety of Fleabag, so maybe he and Waller-Bridge were what made the show really work? Hard to say as tons of people worked on the show, but man, this season was pretty underwhelming, maybe with the exception of the episode where Villanelle goes back home.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait so they had a cctv camera installed in the office and they just remembered about it now? :laffo:

It also felt like there was an episode missing before the finale, weird. I wouldn't say this was embarrassing (then what is Dexter or TWD or GoT) but definitely disappointing. The individual bits and pieces of the show can be pretty great, I love Villanelle just being a huge troll and everything but I have to agree that the main problem is that overall it just wasn't going anywhere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah I deadass thought I had missed an episode when I started the finale. It's not the first time this season I felt that way, either.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Series 3 bad

Please be better, Series 4, because I do like this show and I want to feel the same way I did after the first series had finished.

And yes, I have read all of the books.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The third book has its issues, too. Though that's less because Jennings has no idea what to do, and more because he was planning on ending it at the third book, before deciding no wait I can milk this for some more money instead while the show is still running lmao

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So what did Bitter Pill do except from forgotting they had a crucial piece of evidence for the entire length of the series? Like it would slip your mind to check your hidden camera filming the office after one of your colleagues was murdered?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brown Moses posted:

So what did Bitter Pill do except from forgotting they had a crucial piece of evidence for the entire length of the series? Like it would slip your mind to check your hidden camera filming the office after one of your colleagues was murdered?

Turns out the actual purpose of this season was just to troll you.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kenny was an open source investigator who did no open source investigation, for an investigate organisation who doesn't even to bother investigating its own secret cameras.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Brown Moses posted:

Kenny was an open source investigator who did no open source investigation, for an investigate organisation who doesn't even to bother investigating its own secret cameras.

Also a rich, nepotism hire! A very true-to-life portrayal of the UK intelligence community.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Brown Moses posted:

This was so weird. And easily fixed if they had spent any time during the season establishing that dude as super forgetful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Konstantin is my favorite character by far. His laugh is so infectious. And I loved how he kept getting the poo poo scared out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Konstantin is consistently the only person who makes Eve enjoyable any more for me, too. Their scenes together are always a blast.