Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2016, refer to archives]

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon

Current:

The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Doorbell-Rang-Nero-Wolfe/dp/0553237217

A&E television production here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UvZDRXVBUo

About the book:

quote:

Nero Wolfe is a fictional character, a brilliant, oversized, eccentric armchair detective created in 1934 by American mystery writer Rex Stout. Wolfe was born in Montenegro and keeps his past murky. He lives in a luxurious brownstone on West 35th Street in New York City, and he is loath to leave his home for business or anything that would keep him from reading his books, tending his orchids, or eating the gourmet meals prepared by his chef, Fritz Brenner. Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's sharp-witted, dapper young confidential assistant with an eye for attractive women, narrates the cases and does the legwork for the detective genius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_Wolfe

quote:

Rachel Bruner, a wealthy Manhattan widow, has recently incurred the wrath of the FBI. After reading a book called The FBI Nobody Knows, a prominent critique of the many unethical practices of the Bureau, she has mailed 10,000 copies of it to prominent figures across the country. Having endured several incidents of harassment and prying, she offers to hire Wolfe to persuade the FBI to leave her alone. Although initially hesitant of making a powerful enemy, Wolfe is persuaded over Archie’s objections when Bruner offers a $50,000 retainer and then doubles it to $100,000, as well as a fee and any expenses he may incur. He is also sympathetic to both Bruner’s plight and the arguments made in the book, and decides not to withdraw in the face of what he sees as heavy-handed and bullying opposition tactics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doorbell_Rang

quote:

The Nero Wolfe stories take place contemporaneously with their writing and depict a changing landscape and society. The principal characters in the corpus do not age. Nero Wolfe's age is 56 according to Rex Stout, although it is not directly stated in the stories.[a][1]:383

"Those stories have ignored time for thirty-nine years", Stout told his authorized biographer John McAleer. "Any reader who can't or won't do the same should skip them. I didn't age the characters because I didn't want to. That would have made it cumbersome and would seem to have centered attention on the characters rather than the stories."[2]:49

quote:

Dear Mr. Stout,

I have read many of your Nero Wolfe mysteries and enjoyed them. I have now read The Doorbell Rang. Goodbye.

-- John Wayne

quote:

Time, "The Grand Race" (book review)[13] (November 5, 1965) — Stout once said all that he thinks is important to say. A good mystery writer, he wrote, merely tells the reader: "Let's run a race. Here goes my mind, I'm off, see if you can catch me." In Doorbell, even FBI fans will have to admire his agility.

About the Author(s)

quote:

Rex Todhunter Stout (/staʊt/; December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American writer noted for his detective fiction. His best-known characters are the detective Nero Wolfe and his assistant Archie Goodwin, who were featured in 33 novels and 39 novellas between 1934 and 1975.

In 1959, Stout received the Mystery Writers of America's Grand Master Award. The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated Best Mystery Series of the Century at Bouchercon XXXI, the world's largest mystery convention, and Rex Stout was nominated Best Mystery Writer of the Century.

In addition to writing fiction, Stout was a prominent public intellectual for decades. Stout was active in the early years of the American Civil Liberties Union and a founder of the Vanguard Press. He served as head of the Writers' War Board during World War II, became a radio celebrity through his numerous broadcasts, and was later active in promoting world federalism. He was the long-time president of the Authors Guild, during which he sought to benefit authors by lobbying for reform of the domestic and international copyright laws,[specify] and served a term as president of the Mystery Writers of America.

quote:

In the fall of 1925, Roger Nash Baldwin appointed Rex Stout to the board of the American Civil Liberties Union's powerful National Council on Censorship; Stout served one term.[2]:196–197 Stout helped start the radical Marxist magazine The New Masses, which succeeded The Masses and The Liberator in 1926.[6] He had been told that the magazine was primarily committed to bringing arts and letters to the masses, but he realized after a few issues "that it was Communist and intended to stay Communist", and he ended his association with it.[2]:197–198

Stout was one of the officers and directors of the Vanguard Press, a publishing house established with a grant from the Garland Fund to reprint left-wing classics at an affordable cost and publish new books otherwise deemed "unpublishable" by the commercial press of the day. He served as Vanguard's first president from 1926 to 1928, and continued as vice president until at least 1931. During his tenure, Vanguard issued 150 titles, including seven books by Scott Nearing and three of Stout's own novels—How Like a God (1929), Seed on the Wind (1930), and Golden Remedy (1931).[2]:196–197

In 1942, Stout described himself as a "pro-Labor, pro-New Deal, pro-Roosevelt left liberal".[7]

. . . .

Stout was one of many American writers closely watched by J. Edgar Hoover's FBI. Hoover considered him an enemy of the bureau and either a Communist or a tool of Communist-dominated groups. Stout's leadership of the Authors League of America during the McCarthy era was particularly irksome to the FBI. About a third of Stout's FBI file is devoted to his 1965 novel The Doorbell Rang.[10]:216–217, 227[d][e]

In later years, Stout alienated some readers with his hawkish stance on the Vietnam War and with the contempt for communism expressed in certain of his works. The latter viewpoint is given voice in the 1952 novella "Home to Roost" (first published as "Nero Wolfe and the Communist Killer") and most notably in the 1949 novel, The Second Confession. In this work, Archie and Wolfe express their dislike for "Commies", while at the same time Wolfe arranges for the firing of a virulently anti-Communist broadcaster, likening him to "Hitler" and "Mussolini."

Themes

This one we can tackle as lightly or as seriously as folks want. It's a fun escapist story but there's a lot of meat on these bones if we want to dig in. Up to y'all.

A few possible points to start some conversations:

- There's a lot to talk about with how Stout manipulates genre conventions. Most genre mysteries fall into one of two categories; either "cozy" mysteries featuring a genius superman detective (Sherlock Holmes, Batman) or tough noir featuring hard-bitten private eyes (Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe). This is a little of both but not quite either. Wolfe is a genius but he's also an immense pompous misogynist goon who never leaves his house; Archie is almost the prototypical wise-cracking PI gumshoe but he's not "hard-bitten" at all, rather the reverse, eternally upbeat and optimistic. Similarly, compare Archie and Wolfe with Holmes and Watson; which one is the great detective here, which the bumbling assistant?

- setting; time and place. Every Nero Wolfe novel was set contemporaneously in New York in the year written. Since Stout wrote, on average, a book a year for about forty five years, that means the Wolfe novels, if read in chronological order, give a really interesting picture of mid-century America from the 30's to the 70's. To the modern reader, they seem like historical fiction; each novel has a lot to say about the year it was written in.

-- politics; the political role of popular fiction.

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

As this is a mystery, please use spoiler tags for plot points!

References and Further Reading

An excerpt from The FBI Nobody Knows, essentially the first major publication to significantly criticize the FBI:

quote:

He explained that he still had a great fondness for the organization itself. He admired and respected the many fine fellow agents whom he had met during his tour of service. They were, he felt, an exceptional group of high-class men, and he felt proud of the fact that he had belonged, that he had been one of them. He retained, too, a devotion to the ideal of the FBI, a faith in the possible reality of the image that had lured him into its service. Compounded of such strands was his enduring love.

But the fear and hate lived with him, too. He had seen closehand, from the inside, evidences of the FBI's unchecked and unbridled power. He recognized that the FBI could--and did--tap any telephone it wished at will; he felt certain that his own phone had been tapped, and this made him uncomfortable and resentful, though he had learned to live with it. He had seen the scowl of the FBI close the doors to jobs he had been promised. He had seen other agents, even former agents, practically flee his presence, reacting as though he had the plague, fearful to be seen associating with him lest such contact bring down on their heads wrath and retribution, the wrath and retribution of the one man who matters-- J. Edgar Hoover, the Director of the FBI, the man who in the minds of overwhelming millions of Americans wears a glowing and unblemished halo.

. . . .

Clearly, the Communists were everywhere, plotting to undo the good work of the Bureau. In a training class in November, a Bureau official on the Civil Rights desk solemnly informed the new agents that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People was a Communist-front group. In another class, a Bureau official tarred a number of liberal organizations with the Communist-front label--organizations like the NAACP and the American Civil Liberties Union, which, he said, had frequently tried to embarrass and discredit the Bureau. On still another occasion the chief of the Bureau's Research Section, in discussing press and public relations work, added a further dimension to the picture of horrendous Communist conspiracy and dominance. Many of the country's leading newspapers, he said, were infested with Communists and Communist sympathizers. Levine wrote: "He mentioned among others the Washington Post, the New York Post, the Denver Post, and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He stated that these papers were enemies of the Bureau and frequently attack the Director and the Bureau because of our security program. He stated that these papers were doing a great disservice to the country and the Director by aiding the Communist cause."

One may note in passing how, in this peculiar police-mind ideology, the cause of the Director and the cause of the country inevitably were equated as one cause. Any liberal sentiment, any dissent, any criticism of the Bureau or its Director, automatically became the work of Communists or traitors.

https://www.questia.com/read/98550588/the-fbi-nobody-knows (seems to be full text online)

The Burglary, The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI (describing the citizen activist burglary that revealed the COINTELPRO program -- note that this would not be known until several years after The Doorbell Rang was written and set).

The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler

The Wolfe Pack, the Official Nero Wolfe Literary Society

Archive materials regarding The Doorbell Rang

The [heavily redacted] actual FBI file on The Doorbell Rang they didn't like it

Contemporaneous review of The Doorbell Rang, with lengthy comments by Rex Stout on his writing process and on the reaction the book had garnered

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
[reserved]

If you like mysteries like this, please check out our excellent ongoing thread for mystery novels, which got way too close to dropping into the archives last month and deserves more traffic than it gets

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 1, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I'm looking forward to this one. Was toying with the idea of revisiting some Wolfes after I read your posts in the detective fiction thread and this is one of the best.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, I'm looking forward to this one. Was toying with the idea of revisiting some Wolfes after I read your posts in the detective fiction thread and this is one of the best.

One of?

I plan on re-reading this one as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I love mystery novels, but haven't ever read a Nero Wolfe book, so this is as good an excuse as any. Looking forward to this one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I always loved the Nero Wolfe novels.* To this day, though, I'm not always quite sure** which ones I've read and which I haven't. I was sad to see the Timothy Hutton / Maury Chaykin series die after just 1 series.

*I discovered them over a decade after I read Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I., fantasy series. The first several books, starting with the second, show the influence as clearly as possible. So if you ever think "could I read Nero Wolfe, but in a fantasy version?", check out Bitter Gold Hearts and Cold Copper Tears.

**I mean, yeah, I've definitely read the first 10-15 and then a bunch of others, including this one, but I think there are at least another dozen I've never read.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I'll join in. I read a couple of the books years ago, and remember thinking how, despite Nero Wolfe being the title character and attention-grabber, so much of it is about Archie being low-key excellent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

I was sad to see the Timothy Hutton / Maury Chaykin series die after just 1 series.

Yeah, I just got the DVDs for the complete series (both seasons) off of Ebay. Apparently it was A&E's highest rated show at the time it was cancelled, but they had to make room for more Dog the Bounty Hunter bullshit.

You can find a number of them on Youtube but most of them have been weirdly tweaked and edited to confound the copyright algorithms.

edit:

quote:

Maury Chaykin reflected on the cancellation of Nero Wolfe in a 2008 interview. "I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premier intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air."

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 2, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, the A&E adaptation isn't perfect, but it's good and it's lovely. It was seeing it on TV originally that got me into the books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Rex Stout is a better detective name than Nero Wolfe imho

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's always struck me as amusing that Nero Wolfe's description is basically Rex Stout, i.e. King Fat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had always assumed it was a pen name until I started doing the background research for the BotM post, but it's his real name. I guess when you're born awesome you don't need to change

Anyway speaking of names

quote:

"A number of the paintings of René Magritte (1898–1967), the internationally famous Belgian painter, are named after titles of books by Rex Stout," wrote Harry Torczyner, Magritte's attorney and friend.[2]:578[g][h] "He read Hegel, Heidegger and Sartre, as well as Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout and Georges Simenon," the Times Higher Education Supplement wrote of Magritte. "Some of his best titles were 'found' in this way."[17] Magritte's 1942 painting Les compagnons de la peur ("The Companions of Fear") bears the title given to The League of Frightened Men (1935) when it was published in France by Gallimard (1939). It is one of Magritte's series of "leaf-bird" paintings, created during the Nazi occupation of Brussels. It depicts a stormy, mountainous landscape in which a cluster of plants has metamorphosed into a group of vigilant owls.[18]

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 2, 2019

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i repeat here my analysis of what i feel is a central question:

Tree Goat posted:

nero wolfe is initially described in Rex Stout's character notes as weighing 272 pounds (123 kg), but his weight fluctuates somewhat throughout the course of the series (usually described as in a fraction of a ton, e.g. "his eighth of a ton bulk."

while self-reported american weight data is largely unreliable before 1960, the trend is roughly log-linear (average adult male weight of ~165 lb in 1960, versus ~195 lb in 2010). If his debut in Fer-de-Lance is meant to be contemporary with the novel's publication in 1934 (and later references to baseball players, prohibition, and world events do not contradict this impression), then we can conclude that a modern day Nero Wolfe ought to debut at ~320 lbs (145 kg).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

i repeat here my analysis of what i feel is a central question:

If we similarly adjust the $100,000 retainer fee in The Doorbell Rang for inflation, then Wolfe is being offered approximately eight hundred thousand dollars in today's currency (based on inflation from 1965 to present).

Therefore, on a dollars-per-pound basis, Wolfe has increased in value over time.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
nero wolfe is both a dollar and pound bargain

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just got to the part with the crates and I am so excited for what's going to happen here. I have only the slightest idea what's going on, but it's already really clever.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 3, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
You know, I do have the Nero Wolfe Cookbook, if anyone is particularly struck by a meal description here and wants a recipe, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have that also, and I really wanted to make the strawberry omelette but literally everybody I know refused to eat it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

I have that also, and I really wanted to make the strawberry omelette but literally everybody I know refused to eat it.

I want to try the Saucisse Minuit at some point but the prospect of roasting a whole goose and a whole pheasant only to turn them into sausages just seems daunting. I don't even know where I would buy a pheasant to roast.

I don't have a copy of the cookbook yet. It seemed like it might be a lot like the recipes in Julia Child -- recipes that assume you either have a whole weekend to cook them OR have kitchen staff to cook them for you.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 5, 2019

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I like the "turn up a palm" gesture that Stout writes a lot. Like:

quote:

I turned a palm up. “Look, Mrs. Bruner. Mr. Wolfe couldn’t possibly tackle it without something in writing.
I had to actually act it out before I could visualize what it might look like in conversation. It seems like a powerful maneuver, too powerful for non-Archies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sax Solo posted:

I like the "turn up a palm" gesture that Stout writes a lot. Like:

I had to actually act it out before I could visualize what it might look like in conversation. It seems like a powerful maneuver, too powerful for non-Archies.

Yeah, Stout writes Archie in a really dry, charming way that communicates a lot of character in every word. I can see why Wodehouse was such a fan.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

Yeah, the A&E adaptation isn't perfect, but it's good and it's lovely. It was seeing it on TV originally that got me into the books.

If you view it as Wolfe adapted for a theater troupe, and then somebody filmed it, it really clicks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One thing that may be difficult for a modern audience to wrap its head around is how controversial a book like this was at the time, when Hoover was still extremely popular. Stuff like COINTELPRO or the harassment of MLK didn't come out till much later.

This book was published in 1965. For context,

quote:

In May of 1964, J. Edgar Hoover had led the FBI for four decades. A bachelor with no family obligations and little in the way of outside hobbies or interests, he had no inclination to step down. Except that federal employment regulations required him to leave the post when he turned 70 on his next birthday.

But Hoover had a friend in high places. The highest place. No, not heaven. I mean the Oval Office. Hoover and Lyndon Johnson had been friends and neighbors on a leafy Washington street named 30th Place for two decades. So Johnson, who had been president for less than six months, simply issued an executive order exempting Hoover from mandatory retirement.

Johnson didn’t do this surreptitiously, either. Venerated as a dedicated and successful crime-fighter, Hoover was immensely popular at the time. (Hoover’s ugly campaign to discredit Martin Luther King had not yet been revealed, although Johnson certainly knew about it.)

On May 8, 1964, however, LBJ was all smiles as he extended Hoover’s tenure at a brief Rose Garden ceremony.

“J. Edgar Hoover has served … nine presidents and this Sunday, May 10th, he celebrates his 40th year as the director of the FBI,” Johnson said at the White House that day. “Under his guiding hand, the FBI has become the greatest criminal investigation body in the history of the world. The country has been made safer from groups that would subvert our way of life and men who would harm and destroy our persons.

“Edgar Hoover has been my close personal friend for almost 30 years, and he was my close neighbor for 19 years,” Johnson added. “I know he loved my dog, and I think he thought a little bit of me as a neighbor, and I am proud and happy to join the rest of the nation this afternoon in honoring this quiet and humble and magnificent public servant.”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/05/10/j_edgar_hoovers_bipolar_legacy_133848.html

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/jan/01/j-edgar-hoover-secret-fbi

Just ten years before, in 1954,

quote:

78% told Gallup they had a favorable opinion of the director, with only 2% having an unfavorable opinion.

quote:

Americans were positive about Hoover right to the end, with about three-quarters in 1971 rating the job he had done as excellent (41%) or good (33%), another 10% calling it fair, and just 7% poor or bad.

https://news.gallup.com/vault/210107/gallup-vault-edgar-hoover-fbi-american-communists.aspx

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 7, 2019

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
This is one of the Wolfes I hadn't read yet (although I'd seen the Chaykin/Hutton adaptation).

What I find most interesting about it to start is how Stout doesn't bother making the case for the FBI abusing their powers. Bruner has read a book, and it's called The FBI Nobody Knows, and here we go. He just assumes you either started with his view of the organization, or read the book.

As always, Wolfe is a pleasure to listen to.

"I am neither a thaumaturge nor a dunce."

"'Afraid?' I can dodge folly without backing into fear."

It's also a lot of fun to see Archie reach for any opportunity to annoy Wolfe, within certain rules they've both silently laid out for one another.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

What I find most interesting about it to start is how Stout doesn't bother making the case for the FBI abusing their powers. Bruner has read a book, and it's called The FBI Nobody Knows, and here we go. He just assumes you either started with his view of the organization, or read the book.
That's the thing about Wolfe's Manhattan: Stout set the stories in the year they came out in and that book was controversial and - I imagine - subject to heavy discussion; Stout did not need to explain the controversy because he and a lot of his readers have lived through it.
This is what makes Stout a really enjoyable accidental historian and sets him apart from being "just a whodunit writer".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 8, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I finished the book this weekend and it was fantastic and surprisingly political. I'm so used to cozy mysteries, where they usually don't even mention that the government exists if they can help it. Excellent writing, too. It's definitely gotten me excited to check out other Nero Wolfe books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

I finished the book this weekend and it was fantastic and surprisingly political. I'm so used to cozy mysteries, where they usually don't even mention that the government exists if they can help it. Excellent writing, too. It's definitely gotten me excited to check out other Nero Wolfe books.

This probably is peak political for the Wolfe books. At the low end, especially the early ones in the 1930's, they're pretty much straight cozies. Then they get gradually more and more political through the 1940's (wartime, post-war) and 1950's (red scare, etc.) and then by the time we hit the 1960's and 1970's they're more like this one, expressly political.

The one written in 1964 is basically "Murder in the SNCC" and I almost picked it instead but it has some cringe-inducing "1960's white author trying really hard not to be racist!" stuff in it, whereas this one felt more broadly enjoyable.

anilEhilated posted:

That's the thing about Wolfe's Manhattan: Stout set the stories in the year they came out in and that book was controversial and - I imagine - subject to heavy discussion; Stout did not need to explain the controversy because he and a lot of his readers have lived through it.
This is what makes Stout a really enjoyable accidental historian and sets him apart from being "just a whodunit writer".

And not just in the obvious authorial-intent way. Like, it can be really interesting just to read the depiction of the era -- twenty dollars being a huge bribe for a working person in 1934's Fer-de-lance, for example, or the short story set during the 1946 meat shortage, or the way Wolfe constantly carps about the tax rate as it changes, etc.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This probably is peak political for the Wolfe books. At the low end, especially the early ones in the 1930's, they're pretty much straight cozies. Then they get gradually more and more political through the 1940's (wartime, post-war) and 1950's (red scare, etc.) and then by the time we hit the 1960's and 1970's they're more like this one, expressly political.

The one written in 1964 is basically "Murder in the SNCC" and I almost picked it instead but it has some cringe-inducing "1960's white author trying really hard not to be racist!" stuff in it, whereas this one felt more broadly enjoyable.

It's actually pretty surprising it even takes that long, by all accounts wasn't Stout very vocally politically-minded for his entire career?

And not just in the obvious authorial-intent way. Like, it can be really interesting just to read the depiction of the era -- twenty dollars being a huge bribe for a working person in 1934's Fer-de-lance, for example, or the short story set during the 1946 meat shortage, or the way Wolfe constantly carps about the tax rate as it changes, etc.

Related to this, I appreciate the book's little nods to the theoretical realities of private detecting that a lot of mysteries glaze over. I don't remember the specifics but the bit where Archie talks about Wolfe having to take any job that came along because it was the new year, because if it had been the end of the last year he would have lost so much on taxes that he'd only be getting half the pay anyway. As a former full-time freelancer that bit spoke to my soul in a way it really shouldn't have.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I was surprised by how much of the moment to moment tension was just Archie's schedule. Gotta do this in the morning; gotta do that before lunch; gotta phone so and so from here. It makes the minor inconveniences stand out and puts a limit on how much seems possible. Archie seems to be good at just about every element of his job but he can't *always* take the time to ditch a tail.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I'm glad I picked this up because it's surprisingly engaging. I might have to pick up some more afterwards. Is it recommended to go to the beginning, or continue from this point?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm glad I picked this up because it's surprisingly engaging. I might have to pick up some more afterwards. Is it recommended to go to the beginning, or continue from this point?

This question came up in the general mystery fiction thread yesterday, this was my thought on it:

Depends on how much you read I think. If you're willing to sit down and read forty books in a row then taking a month and reading all of them in order is worthwhile. If you're a more a book a week type person then I'd just hit some highlights; Prisoner's Base, Golden Spiders, maybe the Trouble in Triplicate and Three Witnesses and Death Times Three short story collections.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876922&pagenumber=2#post494066028

Sax Solo posted:

I was surprised by how much of the moment to moment tension was just Archie's schedule. Gotta do this in the morning; gotta do that before lunch; gotta phone so and so from here. It makes the minor inconveniences stand out and puts a limit on how much seems possible. Archie seems to be good at just about every element of his job but he can't *always* take the time to ditch a tail.

This is a neat point, yeah. Cellphones killed a lot of plots!

It also speaks to how well Stout is writing the setting. Archie doesn't just "drive over to the [plot address]; he knows it takes thirty minutes to drive from the brownstone to [plot address] at this time of day if he takes one set of streets and twenty if it takes a different one, etc. He knows the routes and the traffic patterns.

There are a few passages in Nabokov where he writes about how good writers spend time on the details and bad writers avoid or duck them. Stout spends time on the details, because the granularity matters.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 9, 2019

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
one thing that i like to keep in mind when i read stout or chesterton or christie etc etc are borges' rules for detective stories, from "the labyrinth of the detective story and chesterton"
(here's the only copy of the full essay i could find in front of a pay wall: https://corehi.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/los-laberintos-policiales-y-chesterton.pdf )

quote:

A.) A discretional limit of six characters. The reckless infraction of this law is responsible for the confusion and tedium of all detective movies. In every one we are presented with fifteen strangers, and it is finally revealed that the evil one is not Alpha, who was looking through the keyhole, nor Beta, who hid the money, nor the disturbing Gamma, who would sob in the corners of the hallway, but rather that surly young Upsilon, whom we'd been confusing with Phi, who bears such a striking resemblance to Tau, the substitute elevator operator. The astonishment this fact tends to produce is somewhat moderate.
B.) The declaration of all the terms of the problem. If my memory (or lack of it) serves me, the varied infraction of this second law is the favorite defect of Conan Doyle. It involves, at times, a few particles of ashes, gathered behind the reader's back by the privileged Holmes, and only derivable from a cigar made in Burma, which is sold in only one store, which is patronized by only one customer. At other times, the cheating is more serious. It involves a guilty party, horribly unmasked at the last moment, who turns out to be a stranger, an insipid and torpid interpolation. In honest stories, the criminal is one of the characters present from the beginning.
C.) An avaricious economy of means. The final discovery that two characters in the plot are the same person may be appealing-as long as the instrument of change turns out to be not a false beard or an Italian accent, but different names and circumstances. The less delightful version-two individuals who imitate a third and thus provide him with ubiquity runs the certain risk of heavy weather.
D.) The priority of how over who. The amateurs I excoriated in section A are partial to the story of a jewel placed within the reach of fifteen men that is, of fifteen names, because we know nothing about their characters which then disappears into the heavy fist of one of them. They imagine that the act of ascertaining to which name the fist belongs is of considerable interest.
E.) A reticence concerning death. Homer could relate that a sword severed the hand of Hypsenor and that the bloody hand rolled over the ground and that blood-red death and cruel fate seized his eyes; such displays are inappropriate in the detective story, whose glacial muses are hygiene, fallacy, and order.
F.) A solution that is both necessary and marvelous. The former establishes that the problem is a "determined" one, with only one solution. The latter requires that the solution be something that the reader marvels over-without, of course, resorting to the supernatural, whose use in this genre of fiction is slothful and felonious. Also prohibited are hypnotism, telepathic hallucinations, portents, elixirs with unknown effects, ingenious pseudoscientific tricks, and lucky charms. Chesterton always performs a tour de force by proposing a supernatural explanation and then replacing it, losing nothing, with one from this world.

in my memory at least, stout often violates these maxims, or at least bends them. B is the most often violated as far as i can recall: saul panzer will have uncovered some evidence before the big meeting that eliminates a subject that would otherwise be in the running, and we get access to this detail only as the other characters do. or wolfe will have more or less figured things out but will keep archie (and so us) in the dark until a more opportune moment. i think that's okay, however. noir stories rely on this sort of informational asymmetry in a way that parlor mysteries don't (a noir protagonist is very often a sap, or plays one until he puts all the pieces together), and it's interesting to see the friction in the stories when the genre conventions butt heads.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

in my memory at least, stout often violates these maxims, or at least bends them. B is the most often violated as far as i can recall: saul panzer will have uncovered some evidence before the big meeting that eliminates a subject that would otherwise be in the running, and we get access to this detail only as the other characters do. or wolfe will have more or less figured things out but will keep archie (and so us) in the dark until a more opportune moment. i think that's okay, however. noir stories rely on this sort of informational asymmetry in a way that parlor mysteries don't (a noir protagonist is very often a sap, or plays one until he puts all the pieces together), and it's interesting to see the friction in the stories when the genre conventions butt heads.

Yeah, one of the really interesting things for me about the Wolfe books is that they're not always he formal puzzles of more standard detective fiction -- and that's ok.

In this one particularly, of course there's a murder in it, but the murder and the murder-puzzle are almost peripheral, the olive in the martini -- a necessary garnish, but not really why we're here. We're here for Archie turning up a palm, and Wolfe being pompous then doing something brilliant to justify his pomposity, and Fritz, and the brownstone, and no discussion of business at dinner, and orchids from nine to eleven and from four to six.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, a Wolfe story is rarely a whodunnit, but more of a "how will Wolfe trap the one who dunnit," with a garnishment of "how will Archie get Wolfe off his keister and working".

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
This book in particular makes the whodunit almost a subplot. But it is really important. The irony of Archie breaking into Sarah Dacos' apartment and manipulating evidence raises all kinds of insights. The relative importance of private vs. public abuses, situational ethics that make an action good in one circumstance and wrong in another, and the slippery slope. This is a very good example of Rex Stout showing, not telling, especially with Wolfe's complete non-reaction to Archie's discovery other than to make sure it doesn't endanger Wolfe's plan.

It's also striking how mercenary they are about the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWRAa5uTUQ

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Tree Goat posted:

one thing that i like to keep in mind when i read stout or chesterton or christie etc etc are borges' rules for detective stories, from "the labyrinth of the detective story and chesterton"
(here's the only copy of the full essay i could find in front of a pay wall: https://corehi.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/los-laberintos-policiales-y-chesterton.pdf )

in my memory at least, stout often violates these maxims, or at least bends them. B is the most often violated as far as i can recall: saul panzer will have uncovered some evidence before the big meeting that eliminates a subject that would otherwise be in the running, and we get access to this detail only as the other characters do.

That is definitely my least favourite element of the Wolfe stories.

Also, was there ever a story in which Archie explains why Wolfe uses him instead of Panzer as the everyday help? Because everyone in the stories seems to agree that Saul is a wunderkind and pretty much unbeatable at anything he's asked to do. Then again, he isn't asked to do everything, and if I had to guess I'd think that Stout would have explained it as Archie having the ability to deal with women and to prod Wolfe when needed in a way that even Wolfe recognizes is necessary from time to time. But I do wonder, having recently embarked on a Wolfe binge and seeing Saul save the day again and again.

EDIT: well, that answers the social part of the question. The moment I posted this I then read three lines further into "Ballet for One" and Archie says that Panzer was "the best field man in the world for everything that could be done without a dinner jacket".

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xotl posted:

That is definitely my least favourite element of the Wolfe stories.

Also, was there ever a story in which Archie explains why Wolfe uses him instead of Panzer as the everyday help? Because everyone in the stories seems to agree that Saul is a wunderkind and pretty much unbeatable at anything he's asked to do. Then again, he isn't asked to do everything, and if I had to guess I'd think that Stout would have explained it as Archie having the ability to deal with women and to prod Wolfe when needed in a way that even Wolfe recognizes is necessary from time to time. But I do wonder, having recently embarked on a Wolfe binge and seeing Saul save the day again and again.

EDIT: well, that answers the social part of the question. No sooner do I post this than I read three lines further into "Ballet for One" and Archie says that Panzer was "the best field man in the world for everything that could be done without a dinner jacket".

Archie gives a few explanations for why Saul doesn't have his job. Part of it is that Saul prefers to work freelance and independently (that's explicitly stated in more than one story). Part of it also appears to be that Archie's "job" isn't just Detectivery; it's also things like needling Wolfe into taking jobs, charming people into coming back to Wolfe's apartment, etc.

My overall interpretation is that Saul is best at Detective Stuff but Archie is best at Wolfe Management. That "prefers to work freelance" reads to me as "doesn't want to deal with Wolfe's bullshit."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Saul would do everything Wolfe asked for excellently, but Archie will disobey Wolfe when Wolfe is being dumb, and that's more important.

Also Wolfe won't live with someone smarter than him.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Ya'll are overthinking it. Saul is there to rope in characters and facts in the last five pages that weren't in the book before. Whenever Saul shows up it means Rex thought to himself, "Goddamnit, I wrote myself into a corner again. How the hell am I going to weasel out of this?"

Rex Stout is one of my favorite mystery authors, but even he isn't exempt from their sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i'd say it's less that saul is there just to be a clue ex machina, but as a place for stout to do clue-related sleights of hand outside of archie's pov.

i'm rereading "the mother hunt," for instance, and there saul is brought in very early on (as an abortive tail for a someone who gets away before he arrives) and as a fred/orrie wrangler as part of a laborious process of crossing out suspects. he gets work done (and is described as "the second best detective in the city") but it's mostly in service of reducing the number of suspects and adding constraints so when wolfe gets his epiphany there's some grounding there.