Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

today is your last day, get your final "goops" in and +1 all your friends and loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
https://twitter.com/manicpop/status/1091084040700981248

pram
Jun 10, 2001
remember when google forced you to tie youtube to google+ . .. pram remembers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i don't even think google remembers that any more. they've got the memory of a big wetly president.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pram posted:

no one GIVES A gently caress what pram remembers

haha jk paril fools love u bud

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

dudes twitter profile picture looks like doobie

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: yosplus

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

they should bring back google wave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzuuWZPaXc

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember when Google Wave was supposed to revolutionize everything and then it didn't do jack and google killed it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

oh no now how will i communicate with my circles?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember when Google _________ was supposed to revolutionize everything and then it didn't do jack and google killed it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the few libertarian engineer friends I had at the time were the only ones excited about google+ when it came out and would use it all the time

they were always posting about their right to defense and how funny it was when they got together because there would be like 4 guns in the room because they were always packing. then they would all take their guns out and put them on the coffee table and take pictures

good old google plus

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
A victory for Bob's army.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

they open sourced it and threw it onto the apache garbage heap so you can actually make it happen

http://incubator.apache.org/wave/

goon project: deploy wave as a replacement for the sa forums

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
wave was a good idea

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
x-post

lol google destroyed their "brand"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pram posted:

yes I loving remember I had to delete my youtube account so there wouldn't be a way to connect my real name to pseudorandom name

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

let us also celebrate the death of Inbox, the product by Google engineers that don't read their pointless automated service monitoring emails for Google engineers that don't read their pointless automated service monitoring emails

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Google+ users I know of: Linux Torvalds and a guy on Youtube with a steam powered machine shop whose name I can't quite recall right now. Davey Richards? maybe.

I miss Inbox though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

suffix posted:

wave was a good idea

I mean, Wave could have been a massive hit like Slack, but Google completely mis-targeted it.

The thing that irks me most about the final demise of Google+ is that Google killed Reader for it. That sucked both because Google Reader was legitimately the best thing on the internet when it was around, and because killing Google Reader helped cause the massive pivot of news to social media. I remember an article Buzzfeed of all places published after Google announced they were killing Reader, talking about how Reader was the single largest source of traffic to their site. But Google knew they had to kill Reader to get people to switch over to primarily using social media for sharing articles. They just didn't know that everyone would just do it on Facebook rather than the stupidly-complicated monstrosity that was Google+.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
dude reader was dead years before gooples. nice theory tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I remember when google had that option to have a fancy homepage. had weather and news and poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh and email too. widgets and poo poo?

idk. this was like 11 years ago and i was usually drunk back then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

oh and email too. widgets and poo poo?

idk. this was like 11 years ago and i was usually drunk back then

yeah, they made a custom portal about four years after everyone abandoned custom portals

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no, Google killed Reader specifically to make way for Google+

the stated reason internally was they didn't want machine-generated content or something to that effect

yes, that makes no sense

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Google+ launched in July 2011, and Reader was still very popular then. Hell, in 2012 Google removed Reader's sharing functionality and replaced it with that dumb +1 button from Google+ to try and increase traffic to the social network. Then when that didn't do enough they just announced they were killing Reader entirely in March 2013. (2013 is when Google was in full "we must increase Google+ usage" madness mode, it was November of that year when they forced Youtube comments to be tied to Google+.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 3, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

abigserve posted:

dudes twitter profile picture looks like doobie

dudes g+ picture looks like aatrek

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

President Beep posted:

I remember when google had that option to have a fancy homepage. had weather and news and poo poo

yes it was called iGoogle and it was great. They only got rid of it like 2 years ago or so. i'm not sure why because it must have cost them all of 90 cents a year to run and it was apparently very popular. My father loved the "joke of the day" widget.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was discontinued in 2013

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
more like google-

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i mean google+ dying really kind of damages googles brand

in the sense that googles brand is spying on you 24/7 and now theyre giving up on reading your non-public facebook posts (unless you write them with chrome i guess)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
igoogle died because it was developed in kirkland and wasn't under marissa so it threatened her iron grip on the homepage.

the stated reason internally they killed reader was they couldn't spare the headcount and nobody wanted to maintain it to boot. obvious bullshit

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

yes it was called iGoogle

yeah! that’s it.

it had the same theme options as gmail. i like the bus stop one :3:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

wow. its finally sunk in. no more google plus, except of course for my Brand.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Well let me try my google apps account...

pram
Jun 10, 2001
google bad

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

google is like a less competent and more evil apple, which really takes some effort

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google is very clearly an entire company of people who are always the smartest people in the room, are never told "no", and who get bored easily.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

let us also celebrate the death of Inbox, the product by Google engineers that don't read their pointless automated service monitoring emails for Google engineers that don't read their pointless automated service monitoring emails

inbox was extremely good and everything takes 2-3x as many clicks to do in Gmail for no good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gently caress u google 🖕