Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
x-post

lol google destroyed their "brand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

oh and email too. widgets and poo poo?

idk. this was like 11 years ago and i was usually drunk back then

yeah, they made a custom portal about four years after everyone abandoned custom portals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was discontinued in 2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google is very clearly an entire company of people who are always the smartest people in the room, are never told "no", and who get bored easily.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

otoh, i don't think google plus ever had a data privacy scandal

err... what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

was that sarcasm?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

"If g+ were the dominant social media platform rather than Facebook and Twitter the world might be marginally less-poo poo"

how do you figure?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the platform that approximately no one used was probably less toxic than the de facto social communication platform for the entire world, yes. i'm not sure how you decided that means that if it were the de facto communication platform for the entire world it wouldn't face the same issues as facebook and twitter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean, if approximately no one used social media the world would be better off, probably. but i don't know that it makes a difference what platform they're not using

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

managing who can see your posts is important for sure, but i feel like that's orthogonal to the whole "horrible people are empowered to spread hate and propaganda" issue the larger networks are dealing with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

even playing darts blindfolded, someone is always closest to bullseye