Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rage 2 is out. General consensus? If you're on the fence, wait or rent the game. Doom 2016 this is not-- it shoots like an id game and plays like an avalanche game. But, if that's your thing you'll have a LOT of fun here. There's tons of things to unlock and find, and it takes a solid 4 hours to get your bearings with the numerous menu screens, but once you do it takes off. The world opens up to you about thirty minutes in but you're very much in the epilogue/training until you've picked up a few guns and arcs.

REVIEWS

Reviewers are making GBS threads on this game, and it's not hard to understand why. They had 4 days to play and review it, and from those reviews you can tell they beelined the story and judged based on that. This is not a story driven game and you're better off avoiding it. MrMattyPlays is a fairly respectable youtuber (who vehemently shat all over Bethesdas Fallout 76, despite being one of the invitees to their influencer event) and I agree with his take on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qT6mQEPzbA

LOOKING FOR A BEGINNERS GUIDE? CLICK HERE

What is Rage 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppAJKcC7ZU

Glad you asked! Rage 2 is an open world post apocalyptic FPS developed by Avalanche studios, directed by id software, and funded/published by Bethesda. Take the open world chaos of Just Cause, add the shooting mechanics of doom 2016, with the seemingly unlimited budget Bethesda throws at their studios and You’ve got Rage 2! The world itself looks like Borderlands 2 on speed. Bright, colorful, brutal and creative, Rage 2 takes the awesome driving mechanics from Avalanche's Mad Max and puts them in an actual good game!

Numerous vehicles from the wacky to the practical, crazy weapons, and a massive map full of chaotic gangs (including one affectionately called Goonsquad)! One minute you’re chasing down convoys in a gyrocopter, the next you’re in a subterranean labyrinth pushing back mutants with a variety of powers and weapons. Weapons range from the traditional to bizarre and all feature multiple shooting modes. The shotgun has an alt fire that propels your enemy threw the air—actually, the weapons have a lot of airplay. One gun needles packs of enemies with mini rockets that launch them into the sky where they hover and scream while you plink them off. There's a lot of synergy between your powers and weapons, allowing for what seems to be numerous creative ways to murder and create chaos (which is cool and good)

Lemme see that Indepth gameplay footage!

Avalanche is on a media spree right now so there’s a lot of stuff coming out , but these are good places to start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2cWy8Px3c

^Jump in around 16 minutes to get to the footage^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5AcB9Ty9eA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YblWHhKU1Fc

Will there be Multiplayer?

This is a SP game.

What’s in the pre-order?

The pre order bonuses are your typical fanfare, weapons/skins/etc, BUT APPARENTLY this is real as well. I think this game may break my rule against pre ordering ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPIyWyFWvU

obligatory "So what was Rage 1?" post

The first Rage was a game with a lot of unrealized potential- it was developed by id software in what are considered the dark days at id, where things just weren't quite clicking. Carmack was still at the company and was pushing his megatexture technology, with Rage as the first showcase. However, the engine and game design didn't mesh, and the biggest feature of the engine did little to enhance the mechanics. Rage was a semi linear shooter/racing game, where the driving was half baked and the the last quarter of the game itself was clearly undeveloped. HOWEVER, it featured some awesome shooting- enemy engagements felt heavy and brutal, and that feeling was the focus in Doom 2016. Rage 2 sheds all the weight of the first one while highlighting the strengths.

WHEN DOES IT HAPPEN!!
MAY 14TH tyol 2019!! Rage 2 will be available on Xbox/PS4 as well as steam (no epic store shenanigans) and the Bethesda launchers

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR BEGINNERS
this guide began as a polygon guide but is continually updated/modified in this thread.
updated May 15th

I JUST GOT RAGE 2. QOL ADVICE?

JUST SHOOT THE CRATES. Don’t try to melee them because you’re going to miss, somehow, way more than you think you should. Don’t burn a single calorie worrying about the two bullets that you might have to sacrifice to blow them up. It seems like it should be easy. It’s not. Just shoot the drat things, collect your loot, and move on.

ALWAYS BE OVERDRIVING. Don't be afraid to use overdrive. You're going to be getting it a lot, you don't need to reserve it.

STAY ON THE ROAD. Driving is different in this game. Stay on the road. Sometimes, slow down even. If a turn looks hairy, hit the handbrake. Repair your car by standing in the front and focusing on it.

SKIP THE CUTSCENES. There's a dedicated button to skip cutscenes, on PS4 its square. Just skip them. All of them. Every time.

DO THE FIRST MISSION FOR EACH FACTION. This will get you things like a shotgun and a way to ping those hidden crates.

LOCATE ARCS. There are hints on where to find arcs by looking at your nanotrites in the menu. Combine this with holding down focus while looking at the sky to get a ping. Slam, shatter and the defib are a holy trifecta so get those first.

CHECK YOUR GEAR/SURROUNDINGS. You can hold down the focus button at any time to see how many items/crates are still in any given area. Also, hold down the weapon wheel button to check how many healthkits/adrenaline/etc you have left.

GET THE ICARUS. It's a flying vehicle and it owns. You unlock it when you hit level 7 in your science skill (the blue one)

UPGRADES ARE BURIED IN MENUS WITHIN MENUS

Your menu has seven tabs across the top. Map, Log, and Inventory are self-explanatory. The other four are these confusing combinations of lists and upgrade trees. But they all follow the same template: Spend Feltrite to unlock tiers of upgrades, then spend a dedicated currency to unlock individual upgrades within those tiers.

Take weapons, as an example:

• You unlock the first tier when you find the Ark to claim that weapon.
    You’ll spend Feltrite to unlock the next tier.
    Then you’ll spend a Weapon Core Mod to use an upgrade (for weapons, the upgrade is called a Mod).
    Projects are a little different (but not much).

The first tier of Project upgrades unlock when you visit an NPC. You don’t have to spend Feltrite to unlock additional tiers of upgrades (Projects, in this case), though. Instead, you unlock the next tier by buying two Projects in the current tier.
    To unlock the individual Projects within those tiers, you’ll spend Project Points.

You earn Project Points every time you level up one of the NPCs, after completing tasks that those NPCs are interested in — like finding Datapads or clearing out Mutie Nests. (Also, Project Points are universal, so it doesn’t matter who you level up to get them — you can spend them on anyone’s Projects). You can see what encounters level up which NPC by highlighting them on the Projects menu tab.

It’s all confusing at first. There are a lot of currencies and requirements to track, but these menus are your way to turn Walker into a Wasteland-striding death machine. Take a couple minutes to understand them early, so you know what to look for later.

MEET DOCTOR KVASIR EARLY
Speaking of Projects: Every Project is tied to an NPC — for example, the Basic Project tree belongs to Lilly back in Vineland.

The game will tell you early on to visit the closest Project Dagger NPC, John Marshall, first. He’s tied to the Kill & Destroy Project upgrade tree which has combat-related upgrades. Just as important, there are three Arks near him. They’re all invaluable, so it makes sense to visit him first.

But before you go any farther into the Wasteland, make your next priority to visit Doctor Kvasir in the west. Kvasir’s Search & Recover Projects are all nanotrite-focused and will make your life a lot easier.

Rage 2 Search & Recover Projects

As soon as you can, head into the swamp to speak to him. Complete his Ground Control mission, then unlock the Datapad Tracking and Storage Container Tracking Projects. (You can add on any — or all — of the rest you want.) These two will make clearing out all those locations you visit a lot easier.

Rage 2 finding a Storage Container

We should be clear here: All of the locators Kvasir lets you add don’t make it easy to find all the squirreled-away items in a location, but they do make it a lot easier. Your locator is a little Wi-Fi symbol that appears under your compass. When you’re close to any of the things you can locate, it’ll start lighting up. As you get closer, it’ll fill up more until you’re really close, at which point it’ll turn pink. But the locator(s) are two-dimensional — they’ll tell you if you’re close horizontally, but not vertically. You’ll still have to look above and below you to find what you’re after (which, again, could be any of the things).

BUY INTEL IN EVERY TOWN (AND TALK TO NPCS)
Now that you can find things more easily inside locations, it’s time to get some help finding those locations. Each town has three ways you can find things.

NPCs. Talk to everyone with a speech bubble over their heads. They’ll fill in information in your Log, and usually point you to a location in the Wasteland on your map.
    Job Board. Each town has a Job Board where you can pick up bounties and activities. Think of these like little side missions — you’ll earn some cash and visit new places.
    Intel Traders. Every town also has an Intel Trader. You can buy locations of Ark Chests for $250 each

UPGRADE EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME

Pro tip: Go to the Cyber Doc in Wellspring to upgrade max health, global damage, and overdrive duration.

All of your trips into the Wasteland are going to earn you things that you can turn into upgrades. Keep checking back in your menus to see what you have and what you can improve.
    Earning Feltrite means you can unlock new upgrade tiers. Finding Nanotrite Boosters means you can unlock new Perks. Weapon Mod Cores (either found or bought) mean new weapon mods. Completing tasks earn XP that periodically turn into Project Points.

Check your Nanotrites, Weapons, and Projects menus often.

DON’T FORGET YOUR (SUPER FUN) ABILITIES

Abilities are everything in this game. They're fun, look cool and give rage something a little different. If the method of exploration in the QOL section above is just too much for you, you can beeline to all of them right here: this handy dandy guide

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 16, 2019

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AfpPuHHLk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This thread makes me angry.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
In on the ground floor!

I've already pre-ordered the deluxe edition because I am good at money.

E: Here's some actual content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2cWy8Px3c

First 10 mins (after 5 mins of countdown/intro/trailer) is chat, some backstory about the player character(s) (Choice between male and female), the link between Rage 1 and Rage 2. Rage 2 is set 30 years later, the world is recovering, theres vegetation and more interesting biomes.

The next 35 minutes is gameplay, starting with them messing around with various different guns and skills showing off how they can be combined, then some open world stuff, driving about and taking down an outpost and some other points of interest.

Definitely watch this video if you're on the fence, it does a good job of showing off what the game is going to be like, and how cool the combat is.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 1, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rage is just being chill, backwards

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

sebmojo posted:

Rage is just being chill, backwards

eagaR for violence

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Previews are giving me Crysis vibes for some reason, even though thy are not going to play anything alike. I am hopeful and looks fun, the unconventional use of powers like the shield wall jump is cool.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The jungle ish biome they’ve shown off in the recent videos is quite Crysis visually so I can see where you’re coming from. Also the ability to punch dudes into the treetops.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New article is up detailing how cheats like the HE'S ON FIRE basketball announcer work. rage 2: take a mad game and make it crazy

quote:

He’s on Fire: Video game voiceover legend Tim Kitzrow lends his very familiar talents to RAGE 2 with the “He’s on Fire” Cheat. BOOMSHAKALAKA.

Git Gud: Sweet, sweet instagib. With “Git Gud” every enemy goes down in one hit. It’s not fair to your enemies, but f*** ‘em. You. Are. A. God.

Son of Thor: Much like the power Olivia Newton John is supplying in the hit film “Grease,” this Cheat is electrifying. When the “Son of Thor” Cheat is activated, the player becomes electric, electrocuting any enemies that get too close.

Klegg Support: The infamous (and douchey) Klegg Clayton is spawned as a friendly AI companion. We honestly don’t know if this is a reward or a punishment.

Phoenix Rejector Seat: Now this is just getting ridiculous. As opposed to the Phoenix’s Ejector Seat, which does what it says on the tin and ejects the player from the vehicle, the Rejector Seat leaves the player on the ground and ejects the Phoenix into the air. Like we said, ridiculous.

And So Much More: There will be more Cheats dropped into the game on a rotating basis, and additional Cheats will be added to the lineup post-launch.

Here's the announcer cheat in case you missed it in the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPIyWyFWvU

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 2, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

This also bears repeating -

quote:

Those Sound Rad, but How Do I Get Them?
Everyone, no matter which version of the game you have, will be able to access all of the Cheats. We’ll repeat that a few times, just so there’s no concern over whether you’ll have to pay for them, or whether or not your version will even have them. That being said, there are different ways to get the Cheats. Here are some of the ways you’ll be able to stock up on Cheats in RAGE 2:

RAGE 2 Deluxe Edition: The Deluxe Edition of RAGE 2 comes with three Cheats right off the bat. These Cheats will be accessible to anyone with any version of the game, but if you don’t have the Deluxe Edition, you’ll have to track down the Wasteland Wizard to get them, which brings us to the next way to get Cheats.

The Wasteland Wizard: “Cheats are given to you by the Wasteland Wizard,” Hastings explains. “He’s a mystical sage with universe-altering powers, who can be found wandering the wasteland.” The Wasteland Wizard is actually a friendly mutant with a very… odd name, but he will still sell you Cheats (and other exciting goodies) for in-game currency, provided you can find him. You don’t have to pay real money for Cheats.

Pre-Order: Pre-ordering any version of RAGE 2 will automatically get you the “He’s on Fire” Cheat. Just like with the Deluxe Edition Cheats, every version of the game will have access to this Cheat, whether it has been pre-ordered or not. Pre-ordering simply means it will be in your Cheats menu right from the get-go. (We told you we’d be repeating ourselves a few times, but at least now hopefully you’re very aware of the fact that you’ll never have to pay real human money for Cheats.)

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
I've been pretty burnt out on open world games for a while, and was initially kind of lukewarm on this game based on the trailers. This looks goofy and fun as hell though!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any game that let's you activate powers by snapping your fingers is a winner in my book.

Also, I didn't know you got magic powers in this game. I figured it was just shooting.

Immmmmmma gonna get this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Inzombiac posted:

Any game that let's you activate powers by snapping your fingers is a winner in my book.

Also, I didn't know you got magic powers in this game. I figured it was just shooting.

Immmmmmma gonna get this one.

Even better, that fingers-snap is for activating the bullets from your heavy flame revolver, somehow.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ezane posted:

I've been pretty burnt out on open world games for a while, and was initially kind of lukewarm on this game based on the trailers. This looks goofy and fun as hell though!

:same:

All the work they've done to make this an open world chaos simulator + doom 2016 inspired combat really pushed my excitement over the edge. The team seems like they got really creative inside all the familiar things like skill trees and are just making decisions based on what's fun and different in familiar contexts. By comparison when I watched the borderlands 3 trailer, I kind of felt like "that's it?"

I think games have gotten too large in general, stretching 15 hours into 80 by repetition. If they can add some new flavors to the formula I'm on board!

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I can’t decide whether the lack of chat about this game is because no-one is interested or that people have agreed that it looks rad and now there’s nothing to argue about until the game arrives.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

AirRaid posted:

I can’t decide whether the lack of chat about this game is because no-one is interested or that people have agreed that it looks rad and now there’s nothing to argue about until the game arrives.

The first one came out right before Battlefield 3 and Skyrim so I passed it up. Tried playing it on PC in February and it took quite a while to get it working properly. Once I had it running with a decent FOV, I went through the tutorial area and was greeted with a message that achievements had been disabled because the console was enabled. Bethesda did this with Skyrim and Fallout 4, but you could download a DLL and skyrim script extender or fo4se to get past that. I just gave up because at that point I had spent at least two hours trying to play a game from 2011 and there were plenty other games to tackle in the backlog.

I've seen a reasonable amount of Rage 2 footage and while it looks good, I don't think I'll be checking it out until there's a deep discount. Avalanche is also helping make the game and Just Cause 3 is one of the worst modern PC games I've played. The game crashed 20 hours into a save and when I restarted, the only option available was new game. My old save files were there, but I couldn't load them since new game was the only menu option. Put it off for a while and started a new game after all the DLC had come out and the same thing happened 10 hours in. This time, I had been making manual backups of my save every time I quit the game so I still have the files, but there's no way to actually continue my game. Just Cause 4 and Generation Zero are both technical messes, too. :shrug: I do hope it winds up being good! I like Andrew W.K. too

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wasn't really hoping for vindication on my angle that Avalanche was actually a terrible studio with a lucky flash in the pan in JC2 but especially not now that this game looks like it could be a real treat and they're in on it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AirRaid posted:

I think it's a variety of factors and undecisiveness thereof if this will be good or not.

Not too much marketing happening
It's Avalanche, which the average gamer probably connects with both Just Cause 2, Mad Max and JC3, 4 unaware that they have 2 studios now with one of them somehow underperforming
RAGE is not the top tier franchise for many, because the 1st title was disappointing for quite a few and wasn't all the rage, not to mention when it came out it was the first Megatexture title which made it almost unplayable for anyone having an AMD card
RAGE franchise is connected with id and their collaboration (see #1) isn't really prominent

I would imagine that RAGE 2 will be fun, but given that Avalanche too took the road of ubification with their open world in Mad Max it could become very boring half-way through. 50/50 that this will be extremely good or just some action game. Kind of doubt that it will be as disappointing as JC3 and 4 at launch though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Rage 1 was a shitshow to get working right at time of release, with the proper specific driver updates etc made for it. It’s only really gotten worse as hardware moved on and that driver compatibility was lost.

For what it’s worth, you’re not really missing that much for not having played it and it won’t be a prerequisite to understand what’s going on in rage 2. The stand out thing in Rage was the gunplay and enemy reaction to the player (a lot of mo-cap went into it), however this largely went by the wayside when you realised you could pretty much gib most things with the exploding shotgun shells you can craft.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I never got 1 working with my 5780 back then, but quite enjoyed it a generation or two later on nvidia.

For all it's faults it was a good shooter. But I'm also one of the weird people who enjoyed Doom 3 a lot.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
It doesn't appear to be a pre-order bonus, but it has pretty much solidified my desire to get Rage 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0wHfAgEjDE

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

None of the cheat codes are exclusive to pre-order, all of them are available in game from vendors. Most of them are only available that way, though I think the vendor has rotating “stock” so they’re not all available at the same time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I really liked the first game and the setting it had, especially the Dead City, but it felt like everywhere you turned there was a missed opportunity or cut content. Also everywhere you turned had a shitload of texture pop-in and that was unfortunate, too.

Never expected a sequel since the first game disappointed so many then fell off everyone's radar. I wanted to be hyped for this game after it was announced, and for a while I was, but the business decisions around FO76, uncertainty around forced exclusivity on the Bethesda launcher and buggy mess that was JC4 all helped to take the wind out of those sails.

I've been keeping an eye on this and am cautiously optimistic but I don't know if I'll be running out and buying it day one. Going to see if it's worth the $80 (!?) price take before I burn myself.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AirRaid posted:

None of the cheat codes are exclusive to pre-order, all of them are available in game from vendors. Most of them are only available that way, though I think the vendor has rotating “stock” so they’re not all available at the same time.

Not just any vendor, apparently it's some weird wizard guy wandering the wasteland.

As for avalanche, they have an A and B studio. This is their A studio and id is overseeing design. I was completely uninterested at the outset (despite liking their Mad Max game and Rage 1) but once I started watching footage and hearing them talk I saw how truly inspired this project is.

This will be a sleeper hit that has a long tail from word of mouth, like Prey (also Bethesda). No one knew what to think of Prey going in based off the IP history, the developer being spotty, etc. Bethesda has problems as a dev studio but as a publisher they really seem to incubate fantastic shooters. Prey, Doom, and Wolfenstein have all been great and that's why I'm inclined to believe rage 2 will be as well.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Bloodplay it again posted:

I just gave up because at that point I had spent at least two hours trying to play a game from 2011 and there were plenty other games to tackle in the backlog.

You didn't miss much. Rage 1 felt like a half-assed amalgamation of better games that came out not long before it but with megatextures!!! For example, I played Borderlands right before Rage, so Rage felt like a less interesting/ambitious/fun Borderlands with a different engine, albeit way less grindy.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Rage 1 was more a delivery vehicle for Carmack's latest fancy engine tech than a game in its own right.

In that light it was surprisingly good.

Rage 2 on the other hand looks like it's got some real influence from Mad Max and DOOM, both games I enjoyed. Or well, I enjoyed the former and absolutely love the latter. If rage 2 manages to be a combination of the good sides of both of those games it'll be very good.
I'm pretty excited for it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Which avalanche did generation zero? Legit curious as i dont know much about them

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

ZeusCannon posted:

Which avalanche did generation zero? Legit curious as i dont know much about them

Not entirely sure, because a bunch of Gen Zero gaming stuff looks like it was intentionally purged online and credits don't seem to exist.

My guess is that it's somehow related to the folks who made theHunter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Not just any vendor, apparently it's some weird wizard guy wandering the wasteland.

As for avalanche, they have an A and B studio. This is their A studio and id is overseeing design. I was completely uninterested at the outset (despite liking their Mad Max game and Rage 1) but once I started watching footage and hearing them talk I saw how truly inspired this project is.

This will be a sleeper hit that has a long tail from word of mouth, like Prey (also Bethesda). No one knew what to think of Prey going in based off the IP history, the developer being spotty, etc. Bethesda has problems as a dev studio but as a publisher they really seem to incubate fantastic shooters. Prey, Doom, and Wolfenstein have all been great and that's why I'm inclined to believe rage 2 will be as well.

What has the Avalanche A team done? Because all their stinkers games have been blamed on the B team.

JC2 was a fluke, Mad Max and JC3 were ok but flawed and everything else they have released has been outright bad. I have no faith :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The A team based in Sweden did JC, JC2 and Mad Max. Mad Max was rushed a bit by Warner brothers, it needed another six months but games that tie into movies have timeline issues. Despite that, it was a pretty good game. They've expanded into 3 studios as of 2018. I personally loved JC3 but skipped 4.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rage 1 had some of the best gun play/combat I’ve ever experienced in a video game. The rest of it was completely lackluster though. The driving felt bolted on and just an excuse to extend the game, and the RPG elements were completely bare bones. Honestly if it was another 5-10 hours long it probably would have been better received, because when the shooting started it was a blast.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The AI in Rage was pretty complex too, and somewhat ironically was the basis for Doom's AI.

In Rage, enemies sought out cover dynamically to avoid player line of sight. In Doom, the same is deployed with aversion to cover, so enemies calculate player line of sight and move to remain visible.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I still maintain that if anybody could mod the driving sections out of Rage 1, it would be a perfectly good and fun shooter even now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They really didn't know if they wanted to make a weird open world shooter or some post apocolyptic racer game and RAGE 1 suffered for it, big time. it didn't die only because Bethesda is huge and they tried to find people to actually program a hypothetical good game out of the concept. Still kinda hope John Goodman shows up again.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand, I really enjoyed the shooting in rage, on the other hand, the ending.

I like what I've seen in the trailers, but I'll be waiting at least a week to let other people discover technical issues.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm one of the few who enjoyed Rage but even so it still seems weird that they're making a sequel to it of all things.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

They really didn't know if they wanted to make a weird open world shooter or some post apocolyptic racer game and RAGE 1 suffered for it, big time.

I think carmack had become a detriment to id as a game studio. I remember reading previews about megatexture in Rage and thinking how this isn't really a thing gamers care about. Even other Dev studios, they didn't really care about idtech by then. Carmack shot down so much creative stuff over the years-- read the doom bible if you haven't, everything at id had such high ambition. Jettisoning everything creative for performance still created great games, until it didn't.

Carmack became the focus of the studio, and Rage was the last testament to that. Everywhere around the edges of Rage you could see a really fantastic game hindered by issues at id.

All respect to the man but seeing ids output since his departure just reaffirms that for me. Their work managing Wolfenstein has been awesome, Doom 2016 completely spoiled the genre for me (playing anything else is just boring now) and hopefully Rage 2 gets us the game we should have with the first one.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm one of the few who enjoyed Rage but even so it still seems weird that they're making a sequel to it of all things.

After Wolfenstein and Doom they're running out of id properties to cannibalize.

I guess they could do yet another Quake. And then Commander Keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gobblecoque posted:

I mean, its ripe to take up and redo out of most of Bethesda's franchises. Its something they own and made with id, it doesn't have that much of a older fanbase that would react badly to them changing the formula up - even though I'm worried they'll try to be Far Cry too much instead of being a good shooter first and "funny" second; and honestly, it needed this second chance to see if the game is worth a drat. Maybe Carmack really did hold it all back, maybe it was kind of a dud idea that was handled by a has been of the industry. We'll find out soon.