Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've dug the energy the team puts on when rage 2 has been demoed, Avalanche acts like they have something to prove every time and that makes me think it will be special. I really want it to kick rear end because while it seems like far cry on paper, the mechanics of shooting and driving in those games suuuuucks, the world isn't as interesting, and the weapons/powers are boring. Mad Max had some badass cars in it, when yours was fully souped up it felt like you were steering a demon, engine growling and shooting flames ripping across the desert.

I can't wait for early impressions to come in :f5:

edit: Tim Willits directed Rage and was the biggest cheerleader for it, he oversees everything with this game as well. Sounds extremely hands on and passionate about Rage 2 being awesome.

quote:

It’s our game that they’re making for us, so everything goes by us,” Willits said. “I talk to those guys every day. We have team members working with them directly and I’ve done everything from helping the level designers design maps, to editing the story, to working through the vehicle physics with the team.”

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/heres-how-to-play-rage-2-according-to-its-creative-director-1203182062/

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
“Being like Far Cry on paper” while also being batshit crazy and over the top is a good thing, because the one time Far Cry actually tried that we got Blood Dragon which was amazing.

The other awesome thing is that even if it is a “far cry-like”, the movement looks really fun. Half the problem with FC games is super sluggish movement making them a slog to get around. None of the footage shown so far suggests much slogging happening.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AirRaid posted:

“Being like Far Cry on paper” while also being batshit crazy and over the top is a good thing, because the one time Far Cry actually tried that we got Blood Dragon which was amazing.

The other awesome thing is that even if it is a “far cry-like”, the movement looks really fun. Half the problem with FC games is super sluggish movement making them a slog to get around. None of the footage shown so far suggests much slogging happening.

Hell yeah Rage 2 buddy :hfive:

New preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blha2GH-59s

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Tough crowd in here! New gameplay video showing a certain weapon at the end BFG 9000, the jungle biome, and much more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79y2sKDijO4

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I hope there will be as little FarCry as humanly possible in this.
I'm okay with the tower reveal but not much more. Shooting definitely looks very do4m so I'm not overly concerned.

Not going to watch more trailers though, gonna let the game speak for itself. Already hyped enough. :dance: :toot:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Oooh, that shotgun looks like it'll be immensely satisfying to use. Got some real SSG vibes from it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I’m at work so won’t be able to watch that til later.

People should be aware that the BFG seems to be a preorder bonus. Unclear if that means preorders just get it more easily/straight away or if non preorders can’t get it.

I messed up it’s in the deluxe edition. Still unclear if that means non deluxe won’t be able to obtain it.

(I preordered the deluxe edition, so I’m getting all the content because I am so hype! :kingsley:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 10, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Blood Dragon wasn't entirely immune to bad ideas though. The OUR LONG TUTORIALS SURE CAN SUCK basically became the bad thing it set out to mock. It also was purposely designed to be short because they didn't want to outstay their welcome. Its a tough act to balance no matter who the designer is and RAGE 2 probably wants to have some length, particularly if they want to bring back dungeon areas and their secrets. Which i guess this day is maybe make a reference level to Return to Wolfenstien/Old Blood, some Skyrim and Fallout 4 references and maybe - if we're lucky - jokes about 76.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was on the fence about this because whilst the corridor shooting in 1 was real tight and satisfying, the driving and all the rest of it was a bit shite. Just watched that video though and it looks a lot better! Might go on a media blackout like Halodlium. been a long time since I've gone into a game completely fresh.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I am really thinking about buying this game even though DOOM 2(5) is probably going to come out 6 to 9 months after this.

Not really directed at this game specifically, but I'm starting to really get tired of the trickle of enemies in games nowadays. By the time you really start going at it and settle into a groove, it is already over and then its 5 minutes to the next "large" encounter where it repeats. Doom 2016 felt this way aside from a few areas where they really throw a lot of bad guys at you, like the end of the train in Vega or the storage container areas of the Lazarus labs.

Just the preview videos show more of what I tire of. Like just before he grabbed the gravity dart launcher, 5 bad guys guarding something and then its over. 5 seconds of excitement for 5 minutes of driving around to the next group of bad guys. Thank god they put people right outside when you come out to test stuff on, but it was still only 3 people. Really hoping that there are some actually large encounters. Thankfully that little quest of clearing out that side area of mutants looks like they throw a decent number at you so they are certainly capable of doing so.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Imps did a lot for Doom 2016's combat by making sure there's always some little poo poo that's kiting/fireballing/clawing you, but yeah, I want swarms of the bastards coming at me to really make sure I never stop running and gunning. I figured it was engine limitations that made that a necessity, hence the Imp AI being so much more versatile than every other monster in the game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's impossible to talk about Rage without talking about Doom 2016, and since Tim Willits has stated the ai in Rage models Doom ai you might find this GDC talk interesting. I love hearing how these systems work to intuitively teach the player what's effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQNpQD8Ayo

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
All these key stores outside of steam still say BETHESDA so I'm guess this is gonna be 2 log ins like an ubigame?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Not necessarily, they might be only selling Beth keys to third party sites, rather than getting steam keys to sell on to those sites.

But it might be, who knows.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting a little bit annoyed by the male protagonist voice so I guess this is Bethesda pushing me to roll a lady engine of death.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
That was my plan all along anyway. I'm glad you're given the choice though, that's cool and good.

Also that was a great trailer.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

That trailer rules. But yeah I've been leaning towards the female voice just because the male one just seems kinda bland, like in a lot of recent games with such a choice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Donovan Trip posted:

Tough crowd in here! New gameplay video showing a certain weapon at the end BFG 9000, the jungle biome, and much more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79y2sKDijO4

I didn't even finish Rage because it was so dull but Rage 2 looks like it could be a lot of fun. I hope the game has a lot of huge and fun bosses like at the end of that video...

Speaking of Far Cry and how Rage 2 seems to have a similiar gameplay loop... The farcry games bore me to tears nowadays because they are so formulaic and, for me, the biggest issue is that they are too easy. It's just far too easy to break the A.I or become so powerful that you just kind of sleepwalk through encounters. Rage 2 taking place in Sci-fi apocalypse world means that they can be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more experimental with enemies and encounters which is HUGE.

In farcry you just constantly fought Soldier type 1, soldier type 2, soldier type 3 in fairly generic settings and so on. Mixing up the gameplay with cyborgs, giants, vehicle warfare and ninjas in huge sci-fi/post apoc/fantasy environments is enough to massively separate it from FarCry imo. Plus the combat looks way better

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 14, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
If this game is just Far Cry without stupid redneck survivalist assholes constantly proselytizing at me it'll be fine by me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I didn't even finish Rage because it was so dull but Rage 2 looks like it could be a lot of fun. I hope the game has a lot of huge and fun bosses like at the end of that video...

We've seen several mini-bosses like that already in a few of the videos, and those two giant twin guys in that video were pretty cool. I'm hopeful there's other cool poo poo they haven't shown.

And on that note, I'll probably not watch much more stuff about this now. I am super stoked for the game already and I don't wanna go ham and spoil more stuff. I'm probably gonna take a day from work and play this poo poo out of this when it releases. :black101:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's 15 minutes of uncommentated footage of a Rage 1/Doom 2016/other Id Tech games speedrunner playing a WIP build at Avalanche's offices. Looks pretty fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz6mwxkRw0w

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nice to see someone good playing it, and with a mouse.

Is there any concrete info/footage of the weapon upgrades yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really looking forward to playing RAGE 2 on PC. Having a new gaming PC coming that should be able to play at 4K/60fps, so i'm excited. :D Where my current PC would not be able to play this game at all.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Kins posted:

Here's 15 minutes of uncommentated footage of a Rage 1/Doom 2016/other Id Tech games speedrunner playing a WIP build at Avalanche's offices. Looks pretty fun!

He was also once the world record holder for DAIKATANA.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Kins posted:

The movement tricks this guy is doing makes me really, really happy. He pretty much double jumped his way up a cliff in about 3 seconds.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

When I saw this I hoped it would be Draqu. He's a) really loving good at FPS games and b) a total chill dude, and the antithesis of the HEY GUYS ITS ME BACK ATCHA AGAIN WITH ANOTHER VIDEO youtube cockbags.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Double post, but none of you other fuckers are talking about this game so I will.

IGN First has been posting videos over the last month, most are kinda fluff/filler videos but they did throw up a 9 minute In Depth Look at the abilities/upgrades -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwna6aw6zc4

Which I know a couple of people were asking about.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So do we know anything about multiplayer here? Is this the sort of thing where you can run around the world with a couple of friends? If so, I'm sold instantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's news to me if RAGE 2 has multiplayer. I was under the impression that this was single player only.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

a foolish pianist posted:

So do we know anything about multiplayer here? Is this the sort of thing where you can run around the world with a couple of friends? If so, I'm sold instantly.

Completely solo affair sadly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Every few days seems to be another trailer that kind of seems redundant by now. Also I'm kind of squick about seeing them offer cheat codes as preorder incentives, then double speak that maybe you can earn them in game without the extra money as me confused on which is gonna be true. Mostly because I just wanna have the BFG in the game without paying $80 for it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Cheat codes will all be purchaseable in game with currency available in the game.

If you pre order at all, you get the he's on fire code free (don't have to get the currency in the game).

If you order the upgrade editions, you get all of the cheat codes for free.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Deakul posted:

Completely solo affair sadly.

No this is a good thing. I'm super tired of MP focused games and all the dumb trappings that entails. Gimme a couple of good single player games, I'm all for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a list of cheat codes and what they actually all do? Will there be anything like unlimited ammo or a god mode? PC version can just download a trainer for the more obvious stuff though. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Is there a list of cheat codes and what they actually all do? Will there be anything like unlimited ammo or a god mode? PC version can just download a trainer for the more obvious stuff though. :v:

that second article I posted posted:

The Deluxe Edition of Rage 2 comes with three cheats enabled at the outset, and any pre-order gets the user the “He’s On Fire” cheat starring Kitzrow. All the others must be obtained from the “Wasteland Wizard,” an NPC wandering the game. He sells cheats and other things for in-game currency.

In addition to Kitzrow’s cameo (he’s also recently appeared in Dota 2 and as the play-by-play man for Mutant Football League), Rage 2 will feature these cheats:

Git gud: With this cheat, every enemy goes down in one hit, for the ultimate sacrilegious abomination of an easy mode.
Son of Thor: Makes the player electrified, therefore electrocuting any enemies who get close like Joe Biden.
Phoenix Rejector Seat: Instead of ejecting you from the vehicle, this ejects the vehicle from you. Y. Smirnoff, designer.
Klegg Support: Rage 2 character Klegg Clayton joins you as a friendly AI companion. He’s a bit of a prick, though, so it’s uncertain whether this confers any real benefit.

Other cheats will be introduced to the game. Bethesda’s post alluded to one in which exploding red barrels rain down from the sky. “Cheats have been an integral part of games since someone first typed ‘idkfa’ into the original Doom,” said Peter Hastings, a senior gameplay programmer.

There's also Diamond Geezer. So a lot of announcer cheats, some power poo poo, and maybe some companion stuff as far as we know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Son of Thor description is the best thing ever.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Kind of discouraging that Rage 2 comes out in two weeks and the thread gets 75 posts while Borderlands 3 doesn't come out until September but its thread already has 2000+ posts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Former Human posted:

Kind of discouraging that Rage 2 comes out in two weeks and the thread gets 75 posts while Borderlands 3 doesn't come out until September but its thread already has 2000+ posts.

in fairness, a fair amount of the BL3 posts are probably less than complimentary

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fully 1/3 of that thread is dedicated to Randy's daily meltdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

AirRaid posted:

No this is a good thing. I'm super tired of MP focused games and all the dumb trappings that entails. Gimme a couple of good single player games, I'm all for it.

Agreed. The worst thing that happened to games in the last 10 years is everyone being forced to slap a multiplayer mode in that 90% of people will maybe play for 10 minutes before going back to CoD or Fortnite. Give me more super polished single player games.