Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This game is dumb but I still really enjoy it. It’s the perfect after-work-and-too-fried-to-think-about-poo poo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait is this road map content free or are they gonna charge for it? If they released this bland game and promised to flesh it out over time for free that's understandable and i'd prolly buy it. If they released a bland game on purpose and are charging you to add content that should have been added from the beginning they can go get hosed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Arghy posted:

Wait is this road map content free or are they gonna charge for it? If they released this bland game and promised to flesh it out over time for free that's understandable and i'd prolly buy it. If they released a bland game on purpose and are charging you to add content that should have been added from the beginning they can go get hosed.

The expansions cost money, the rest is just uninteresting ancillary stuff. It's a terrible game in general, don't buy it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Did they fix the God damned menu speed yet!?!?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Did they fix the God damned menu speed yet!?!?

Doesn't seem like it!

I do like the fact that in NG+ all the map icons you've found will be on the map so you don't have to refind them.

Also you can now punch open crates from a standing position. :allears:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is Focus now highlighting storage crates something that was added in patches or did I never notice it? Same with the radar now having small text at the bottom mentioning what it found (feltrite, text log, etc.).

Mission pop-ups no longer pausing the game is a very, very welcome addition.

Two playthroughs and 40 hours into the game and I've yet to find the wasteland wizard, not that I've been actively looking.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
On the flip side I noticed the patch introduced a bug where my Focus key binding (mouse 7) hint is truncated. Say “mouse[”, any one else get that?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just bought this for half off and I can't wait to pl......Rage2 has stopped working. Please send a crash report

gently caress off

I can't even start the god damned thing...no other game out of the 300+ I have on steam fail to launch like this pile of poo poo. I could understand if this was launch day but this loving thing came out months ago. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Reign Of Pain posted:

I could understand if this was launch day

A tragic sentence that says as much about modern gaming as Please Log Into Bethesda.net to play Doom

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How much would you say this game is worth? I liked the first, looking back on it. But mostly because of the FPS feel

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

dogstile posted:

How much would you say this game is worth? I liked the first, looking back on it. But mostly because of the FPS feel

$15 maybe $20.

The world is barren, the driving sucks, the vehicular combat really sucks, and it has so many little things that are annoying; eg: menu lag, an annoyingly convoluted ui with poo poo buried within poo poo, bland story, and super bland protags.

The combat is a blast and the actual on foot combat encounters are super fun.

If they add more stuff to do in the open world or even up the enemy respawn rates so I never stop shooting then it'd maybe be a solid buy for 30 bucks, as it is it's like they were afraid of having us be fighting something all the time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Deakul posted:

$15 maybe $20.

The world is barren, the driving sucks, the vehicular combat really sucks, and it has so many little things that are annoying; eg: menu lag, an annoyingly convoluted ui with poo poo buried within poo poo, bland story, and super bland protags.

If they add more stuff to do in the open world or even up the enemy respawn rates so I never stop shooting then it'd maybe be a solid buy for 30 bucks, as it is it's like they were afraid of having us be fighting something all the time.

I think this is a fair assessment. I'm really enjoying it, and I bought it at launch (but used gift cards). It's definitely not worth $60, and it's close to worth it at $30.

FYI they did add a NG+ mode earlier this week, vehicle handling has been improved, so some QOL improvements have been made.

Story still sucks, protags still suck, but drat the combat is smoother than DOOM 2016.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Story still sucks, protags still suck, but drat the combat is smoother than DOOM 2016.

Hey now let's not get carried away

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Anti-Hero posted:

I think this is a fair assessment. I'm really enjoying it, and I bought it at launch (but used gift cards). It's definitely not worth $60, and it's close to worth it at $30.

FYI they did add a NG+ mode earlier this week, vehicle handling has been improved, so some QOL improvements have been made.

i wouldnt say its smoother than doom. its two different beasts. its more like its a much better version of wolfenstein.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Hey now let's not get carried away

To be fair I haven't played Doom 2016 since it released, so there might be some recency bias there. I'm sure I'll replay it right before Doom Eternal releases.

But I can say it's for sure Rage 2 combat is at least in the same tier as Doom 2016. Whether someone should play or not is highly dependent on how much open world blandness can be tolerated.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anti-Hero posted:

Story still sucks, protags still suck,
The male voice sounds a lot like Rob Huebel and that's improved my view on him a lot.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

dogstile posted:

I'd say maybe $20 or less. I really liked it (for the combat), but there's just not that much game in there.

This would have benefited from another year or so of development, just add more stuff, make the balance & difficulty curve less wacky on higher difficulties, maybe make the story not suck quite so much. Oh well.

The upcoming expansion packs might improve things but that's an unknown obviously and also they'll be paid expansions I think.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If those new expansions add separate new regions that you need to travel to from the map or menu then I'm going to be pretty disappointed, unless they're sizable and give us plenty to kill.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Deakul posted:

$15 maybe $20.

As someone who picked this up for £20 I'd agree with this, and when you're forced to do racing sections, especially not in the vehicle you have been travelling in 90% of the game, it sucks. There is some respite though, as you can unlock a flimsy rear end flying machine from the Arks for general traversal. Don't know if there's anything more substantial, as I'm still playing.

But the game definitely suffers from big-rear end empty-map syndrome, which is made more annoying by death-pits between the zones.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I thought the convoys were a lot of fun and it's weird there's rarely any other enemy vehicles on the map.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aight, i'll grab it next time i see it on sale. Cheers all!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

limited posted:

and when you're forced to do racing sections, especially not in the vehicle you have been travelling in 90% of the game, it sucks.

You’re forced to do one race. And the car they give you is literally the fastest, best handling (I use this term loosely) car In the game.

But yeah it’s disappointing that the Phoenix car is kinda slow and cumbersome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When I played through I assumed that rushing that geneticist would unlock mutations or more super powers or something and as a result I had the Icarus after like less than 3 hours of game time. Only being able to upgrade your starter car and the Icarus not being tied to the story both render every other vehicle pretty much worthless, which is a bummer considering how important we were sold the vehicles to be.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

AirRaid posted:

You’re forced to do one race. And the car they give you is literally the fastest, best handling (I use this term loosely) car In the game.

But yeah it’s disappointing that the Phoenix car is kinda slow and cumbersome.
Wow, so I won't be using anything besides the Icarus any time soon. :barf: Although I've unlocked rush and maxed it out already, so can just sprint from point to point in plenty of places now. :flashfact:

Bust Rodd posted:

When I played through I assumed that rushing that geneticist would unlock mutations or more super powers or something and as a result I had the Icarus after like less than 3 hours of game time. Only being able to upgrade your starter car and the Icarus not being tied to the story both render every other vehicle pretty much worthless, which is a bummer considering how important we were sold the vehicles to be.
Pretty much what I've done. I've hit up a whole bunch of Arks before progressing the story, and I can't imagine how annoying just driving around would be instead of flying.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly not being able to upgrade every vehicle is the single largest example of “budget cuts” I can point to. There’s like no reason to ever use other vehicles

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mad Max was like that too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really think fallout 76 bombing took a toll on other parts of Bethesda, it's hard to not say both rage 2 and youngblood weren't shoved out a bit undercooked. They haven't had a big hit in a while and they've been financing a lot of games, some of which are really good (prey for example) but are just not moving units. As a result you're seeing these real money stores creep into every IP.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The combat in this game is so good it makes most other games suck by comparison. It even makes Doom 2016 feel a little sluggish (Doom as a game is still better because it has a significantly less obnoxious upgrade unlock system).

Also I don't know where people are getting "empty world" from, especially since they put in the replay outpost option you are always all of like 3 seconds away from an epic multi-minute murder rampage if you want to go on one.

The thing I really like about Rage 2 is that once you get all the upgrades and abilities, it doesn't make you pick and choose which ability you are going to use for any given encounter. It gives you a boatload of overpowered abilities and lets you use them all at once if you want to, no picking and choosing or min-maxing or abilities exclusive to A/B/C classes bullshit. (Even Doom is guilty of this common video game sin in that you can only use 3 runes at once even though being able to turn on most or all of them at the same time wouldn't conflict and would make playing even more awesome.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Like the world itself is devoid of many things to kill, I don't just want to replay outposts. I want dudes on the roads and out in the wasteland itself, as it is... there's really not much there to kill when going from point A to point B.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The roads are full of convoys and mutants/etc on the road, i never understood that complaint

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Not enough.
If I'm not splatting dudes on the regular or getting chased while driving around then what even is the point of driving? :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Donovan Trip posted:

The roads are full of convoys and mutants/etc on the road, i never understood that complaint

what he wants is more random cars and way more ground baddies doing poo poo. more random check points, more respawning baddies, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the world of rAGE 2 feels weirdly barren even for an open world apocalypse game. There are only 3-4 cities and all of them are teeny tiny hubs with nothing to do.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I didn't mind it I guess. I felt like I had control over whether I was in an encounter, sometimes the far cry games feel like you can't walk ten feet without a hawk dive-bombing you or getting gored by a bear. BUT, the environments in far cry are also a lot more interesting to look at and explore, they definitely dropped the ball there. I still say another six months would've done rage 2 a lot of good.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2019

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Incredibly late to the party but I just picked this up on xbone and goddamn the shooting game is *perfect*.

Driving game, nope.

But I can just drive from place to place and murder goons.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Picked this up again after beating it twice at launch, playing an Ironman run. All the small improvements they’ve made add up to a much nicer game experience. Tiny things like skippable ark tutorials and the notifications about cash and feltrite not interrupting gameplay are huge.

Also they’ve definitely turned up the spawn rate on random mooks in the wild, and I dunno if this is right but it feels like they made the Phoenix faster? I might be misremembering that one though. It doesn’t seem as sluggish as it was. It’s still not exactly a joy to drive tho.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I fired up an ultra-nightmare run and holy poo poo is it hard. Most of the stronger enemies can kill you in one hit, and you have to unload multiple clips into their tiny weak points in order to kill them. Even a generic mook with no armor will sponge up half a clip before going down unless you manage to thread a needle and head shot them (except shrouded who are immune). The only way to realistically last in a fight is to time your dashes to break the enemies locks on you. Taking down an authority turret now feels like a serious accomplishment, because it can kill you with the splash damage from one shot and also spams its wide area of effect attack that you have to jump over at the same time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah to be honest this game is at its most fun when you can run through enemies making a fine red mist out of them, any amount of bulletsponginess kinda detracts from it IMO.

Not sure if I’ll bother with the nightmare modes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Mad Max was like that too.

To be fair you only had two vehicles before the postgame in Mad Max: your highly customisable main car and the dune buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the fact that we have a system for finding rare vehicles, driving them back to camp to save them and spawn them on command indicates that cars were gonna be a bigger thing, but the lack of upgradeable vehicles makes it feel super half-baked, like you can tell where they just completely ran out of money.