Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, there's not much to say when you get a few trailers every week, we don't know if this is gonna try to force bethnet on people and the only way to be sure of any other thing that has been told to us or is obvious, we'll find out in a few weeks. Its RAGE 2, a game trying to salvage a franchise that wasn't that great the first time round. It'll spike when we can make dumb videos about bullshit we pulled off/died to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
It's on Steam

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The advertising feels aware they shouldn't have slapped a 2 on their title.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

MJBuddy posted:

It's on Steam

So are the Assasin Creed games, yet they require you to go through Uplay. I'm curious if Rage 2, DOOM Eternal and the 2 new Wolfenstiens that were designed to sell Bethesda Net ,along with the successful Fallout 76, will make you go through two DRM launchers to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Former Human posted:

Kind of discouraging that Rage 2 comes out in two weeks and the thread gets 75 posts while Borderlands 3 doesn't come out until September but its thread already has 2000+ posts.

RAGE wasn't popular (at least not lasting talk about it) and i'm super surprised it is even getting a sequel. Borderlands on the other hand is massively popular and has been for years after the previous games were stopped being supported by Gearbox outside of porting them to other systems and doing a VR version that no one asked for. Of these two sequels, I truly believe RAGE 2 will be really good and way more fun than Borderlands 3 though.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Crabtree posted:

So are the Assasin Creed games, yet they require you to go through Uplay. I'm curious if Rage 2, DOOM Eternal and the 2 new Wolfenstiens that were designed to sell Bethesda Net ,along with the successful Fallout 76, will make you go through two DRM launchers to play.

i'd be surprised if they didn't, just to start building up that bethnet user base if no other reason.

but then i'm surprised they're launching titles on steam at all going forward. i guess there may be wisdom in doing it for properties like RAGE 2 that aren't exactly A-list franchises, but DOOM Eternal has the star power to not need steam for sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For me anyways, if a game is not on Steam then I will forget about its existence.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It is insidious how Steam, has inserted itself as a constant in our lives, huh?

Anyhow... last game was kinda boring but this one seems neat enough. I don't really know how I feel about Ain't It Funny? being used as part of the promotional material; it'd hardly be the first serious song toi be used absent its meaning and context in advertising and maybe the plot will surprise me, but... it feels tacky and gross, is all.

vv ???

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 29, 2019

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

resurgam40 posted:

Anyhow... last game was kinda boring but this one seems neat enough. I don't really know how I feel about Ain't It Funny? being used as part of the promotional material; it'd hardly be the first serious song toi be used absent its meaning and context in advertising and maybe the plot will surprise me, but... it feels tacky and gross, is all.

Yeah I too think it's "gross" that people would rather use a better program than a worse one.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

the nucas posted:

i'd be surprised if they didn't, just to start building up that bethnet user base if no other reason.

but then i'm surprised they're launching titles on steam at all going forward. i guess there may be wisdom in doing it for properties like RAGE 2 that aren't exactly A-list franchises, but DOOM Eternal has the star power to not need steam for sure.

Well its interesting because before Fallout 76 hosed up severely, none of them had any presence on steam what-so-ever or seemed to have mentioned a steam release at all. Their entire plan, before Bethnet's first flop, seemed to be just release games there and expect you to go to them. I hope this is them backing up from that and just giving you the choice of either using steam or the so far really crap Beth.net.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

resurgam40 posted:

Yep, because it has proven it doesn't suck, doesn't poo poo up our machines, and is generally nice and easy to work with as a consumer.

Other publishers are like "But Steam takes too much money from the devs, so you should use OUR store, that runs like poo poo, clogs up your computer, probably leaks your personal information to hackers on the internet, and generally treats you like dirt!".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Former Human posted:

Kind of discouraging that Rage 2 comes out in two weeks and the thread gets 75 posts while Borderlands 3 doesn't come out until September but its thread already has 2000+ posts.

I think is looks/sounds great, basically DOOM gunplay and movements in a Mad Max openworld single player Borderlands and everything about it has looked aces. I'm just a little wary since even with id Software helping out, Avalanche (aside from the best 7/10 game ever, Mad Max) has had bad luck with JC3 and 4. Top it off with it being a Bethesda game (which means no loving review copies). I'm still optimistic it's going to be a runaway Good Game a la DOOM despite the quiet reception so far.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Do we know if Rage 2 is going to be available on Steam but still require the Bethesda Launcher, or if it's just simply going to be on Steam and that's it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Former Human posted:

I'm definitely gonna play this fun looking game but theres not really anything to talk about until it actually comes out.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

DLC Inc posted:

I think is looks/sounds great, basically DOOM gunplay and movements in a Mad Max openworld single player Borderlands and everything about it has looked aces. I'm just a little wary since even with id Software helping out, Avalanche (aside from the best 7/10 game ever, Mad Max) has had bad luck with JC3 and 4. Top it off with it being a Bethesda game (which means no loving review copies). I'm still optimistic it's going to be a runaway Good Game a la DOOM despite the quiet reception so far.

Avalanche has two (actually 3-4, but two AAA) studios: the one that mad JC3, and the one that made JC2 and Mad Max.

The person leading up Rage 2 was the Director of JC2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Do we know if Rage 2 is going to be available on Steam but still require the Bethesda Launcher, or if it's just simply going to be on Steam and that's it?

That is what we are all trying to find out. I guess I personally dont mind if it uses the Bethesda launcher. I'm use to it at this point with UBISoft titles.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

Avalanche has two (actually 3-4, but two AAA) studios: the one that mad JC3, and the one that made JC2 and Mad Max.

The person leading up Rage 2 was the Director of JC2.

good to know, most people have fonder memories of JC2, and Mad Max was actually a pretty good game that made you feel like you were actually in an oppressive wasteland. Unfortunately it also had to follow Fury Road so a lot of people def expected more from it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I said come in! posted:

RAGE wasn't popular (at least not lasting talk about it) and i'm super surprised it is even getting a sequel.

Yeah seriously. Rage was a pretty bad game (imo). I personally really didn't like it, nor did I finish it, and the only reason I'm in this thread is because I stumbled upon a cool Rage 2 clip on youtube.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
They definitely should have called it RAGE INDEFINITELY or something instead of the numbered sequel. I think it's gonna hurt reaching a bigger audience. But oh well, I just wanna play a fun cool game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The actual shooting and stuff from Rage 1 was amazing as long as you weren't fighting the boring rear end mutants. But almost everything else about that game was dull as hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really am excited for this game. I will have a whole new pc by then with an RTX 2070 and I am excited to see RAGE 2 with ultra graphic settings.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GreatGreen posted:

Not a guarantee, but third party key sites are selling steam keys, not BethNet keys or whatever. Usually for Uplay and such the third party keys will be not the steam version.

Like I said not a guarantee but does point towards it just being steam.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's not a lot to say yet because Rage 1 was a huge disappointment, I did enjoy it but it felt like half the game was missing, I just didn't give a drat about the Authority as generic bad guys back then and it remains to be seen if they are the exact same Enclave rip off here.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yeah seriously. Rage was a pretty bad game (imo). I personally really didn't like it, nor did I finish it, and the only reason I'm in this thread is because I stumbled upon a cool Rage 2 clip on youtube.

Rage was a game that had a small handful of very good, very cool, very fun elements buried under giant piles of boring tedium and some weird technical issues. Shooting and damage reactions felt exceptional, and there were a few extremely cool set pieces and places to explorer.

I still maintain that Rage 1 would be a genuinely good game, even now, if every bit of the game's driving parts could be modded out and a real ending was added.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I don't think this will have much in common with the first game except for the name. It's Bethesda having no clue what to do with their bought up license rights from id and others.

This will be quite probably DOOM meets Mad Max.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
While huffing a lot of 90s nostalgia and Far Cry colors. Here's to hoping in cutscene there's like drama or whatever about the bad guys, but in gameplay you're just like OO, more poo poo to collect and shoot.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

haldolium posted:

I don't think this will have much in common with the first game except for the name. It's Bethesda having no clue what to do with their bought up license rights from id and others.

This will be quite probably DOOM meets Mad Max.

The first one tried to be that, it got the DOOM half right but the driving sections were a bit poo poo, there wasn't really anything to do in the drives between the couple of towns and bandit bases.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And yet driving and racing was somewhat mandatory for story, which is why I hated it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Rage at launch and was an unfortunate victim of the “LoL we literally never tested this game on AMD cards whoops” fiasco and as a result the game was literally totally unplayable for 3 months until they finally patched it, but by then I had been so soured after weeks of obsessively scouring forums that I uninstalled and never thought about it again except to remind myself never to pre-order video games ever again.

I think I made it to the first dungeon and was like “the car sucks the game is brown and I this boomerang thing ain’t even that cool”

All that said Far Cry: New Dawn showed me that all I want is a high octane post-apocalypse meat churner to be happy so please Rage 2 be my birthday present.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought Rage at launch and was an unfortunate victim of the “LoL we literally never tested this game on AMD cards whoops” fiasco and as a result the game was literally totally unplayable for 3 months until they finally patched it, but by then I had been so soured after weeks of obsessively scouring forums that I uninstalled and never thought about it again except to remind myself never to pre-order video games ever again.
There were issues with nvidia cards as well at launch, though new drivers came out at the same time the game did so the delay was only an hour or so as you tracked them down and applied them.

Even so, it was enough that it probably soured a lot of people's opinion right off the bat since it a whole lot of people race out and apply driver updates. I looked past it after I managed to get things working but the bigger issue after that was how blurry everything looked, even in 2010 it looked really out of place with seemingly no way to improve them.

FWIW I actually enjoyed the driving parts, at least in the first wasteland map. I just wish there were more places to drive to. The overworld maps are big enough that you don't want to walk through them but at the same time 30 seconds of driving will take you to the edge of the map with nothing to see.

2 seems to have that problem solved but I want to see more of the map before I come to any conclusion. The initial footage of places they showed off, like the space center, looked cool and harkened back to the first game but some of the jungle environs they've showed off lately look pretty bland and cookie cutter in their design.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ah, megatextures. They made games take 3 times as much HD space as other games of the time. At least they looked way worse though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it was the weirdest graphical glitch I’ve ever encountered. You’d start the game, the intro cinematic comes on, the game starts and as soon as you moved everything on the screen became a pearly fractal, kind of like if the Matrix broke down but with shiny white shapes instead of green alphanumerics. It looked almost pretty but the game totally unplayable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
megatextures were bad, but on the other hand they sucked

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

What even is a megatexture, is it just a texture made really big to add a lot of detail or something? Whatever it is i'm under the impression that even if it worked perfectly, it still would not have mattered and not actually have helped Rage in any way.

Anyways this game looks good and I will probably buy it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Judge Tesla posted:

The first one tried to be that, it got the DOOM half right but the driving sections were a bit poo poo, there wasn't really anything to do in the drives between the couple of towns and bandit bases.

Yeah true, I meant the new Doom 4 though. The first Rage was a lot like a faster Doom 3 (not surprising) and pretty good on that front. Shooting was fun. I liked it for what it was and also wasn't super pissed about the driving either, but it could've been better.

Oxxidation posted:

megatextures were bad, but on the other hand they sucked

GreatGreen posted:

Ah, megatextures. They made games take 3 times as much HD space as other games of the time. At least they looked way worse though.

almost all idTech 5 and 6 games still using evolved versions of MT. Doom 4, Wolfenstein, Dishonored 2. It was just ahead of its time back when Rage came out using it. It's use is pretty visible too, leading to diverse and well designed environments without the typical repetition default tools like UE4 give you. By now however there are also other options, such as Ubisoft is using in many of their games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zoig posted:

What even is a megatexture, is it just a texture made really big to add a lot of detail or something? Whatever it is i'm under the impression that even if it worked perfectly, it still would not have mattered and not actually have helped Rage in any way.

Anyways this game looks good and I will probably buy it.

It was basically a thing that made developing games easier. It treated every texture in a given area (if you could get there without a loading screen it was one "area," even giant outdoor places) as one great big giant texture file that would continuously load in and out of memory in sections, like how most open world games work now. It allowed developers to just kind of load up the world and paint textures onto any part of it in real time, then the engine would flatten the artist's work so no matter how much poo poo he painted onto the world's surfaces, no additional memory would be used.

One of the consequences of this tech was that you could not use repeating textures in levels to save on hard drive space. Most games back then used repeating textures like a big square of desert sand or concrete or whatever which could then be pasted hundreds or thousands of times across levels. However with megatextures, the whole concept of repeating textures was unsupported. Instead, every square inch of surface in the game had its own dedicated spot on the megatexture map and therefore its own unique texture which used its own space on the hard drive, which meant massive hard drive space requirements. Because of this, they had to cut down on the per-meter fidelity to really noticeably low levels or else they'd have released a game in 2010 that was literally hundreds of gigs large.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 29, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

RAGE 1 suffered from two things. The first was being one of the first games to really use a megatexture engine when the tech wasn’t quiet there yet and the second is it came out at a time where FPS games would get blasted by games media for “only” being about shooting things. The era of RAGE 1 was this really weird period of FPS games having to try and include a bunch of stuff unrelated to just shoot mans in a good and fun way. It’s why there’s so few decent and memorable FPS games around that time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Which really backfired because then we got Bioshock: Infinite and after that everyone went “actually nobody in the industry know how to write, let’s go back to bullets”

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dr. VooDoo posted:

RAGE 1 suffered from two things. The first was being one of the first games to really use a megatexture engine when the tech wasn’t quiet there yet and the second is it came out at a time where FPS games would get blasted by games media for “only” being about shooting things. The era of RAGE 1 was this really weird period of FPS games having to try and include a bunch of stuff unrelated to just shoot mans in a good and fun way. It’s why there’s so few decent and memorable FPS games around that time

Nah, I'd say the biggest issue was that the game was really dull. Bad story and it forced me to sit in a lovely car doing lovely things that I didn't want to do for long stretches of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Didn't RAGE 1 have you go though the same levels but in reverse, like halfway into the game?