Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Still B.A.E posted:

Aguero is a funny player isn't he. Seems to be constantly struggling with injuries of varying degrees of severity, yet seems to always be able to bounce back and be insanely prolific and score in big games. He's also very rarely praised as much as other players despite being undoubtedly one of the best strikers to play in the premier league. I think a lot of pundits and fans kind of take him for granted.

Managers, too. I feel like quite a few managers have tried to drop him only for him to keep scoring goals at a ridiculous pace and get his spot back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I still want to believe Liverpool has a chance, but it's pretty much GG at this point. Props to Manchester City for putting in a season for the goddamn record books

gently caress everyone else who got steamrolled, though (except for Wolves, I love you :mexico:)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Still B.A.E posted:

Aguero is a funny player isn't he. Seems to be constantly struggling with injuries of varying degrees of severity, yet seems to always be able to bounce back and be insanely prolific and score in big games. He's also very rarely praised as much as other players despite being undoubtedly one of the best strikers to play in the premier league. I think a lot of pundits and fans kind of take him for granted.

He’s hugely underrated for some reason which is baffling for a player who has scored 160 Premier League goals.

I think you’re right that he’s taken for granted because everyone just expects him to score goals and he does.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shrapnig posted:

He’s hugely underrated for some reason which is baffling for a player who has scored 160 Premier League goals.

I think you’re right that he’s taken for granted because everyone just expects him to score goals and he does.

Hes underrated? By who? Most of the pundits who talk about him talk about how hes one of the best strikers to ever play in the league

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It is amazing that as incredible as City are, they are two results away from being the greatest side to win just a league cup. I wouldn't give Leicester or Watford much more than a 1 in 10 shot, but I wouldn't give them less.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Im getting into severe delusional hopes here. But Leicester have already beaten City this year and are coming off gubbing Aresenal. City looked less than stellar against Burnley too. Then going into the last day you have Brighton, who are fighting to avoid relegation, though Cardiff would have to win their next game and Brighton lose for them to still not be safe come the last day. Cardiff play Palace next and Brighton play Arsenal

I think City will win those 2 games. Either that or they will lose/draw one and we will gently caress it all up against Wolves on the last day :negative:

Side note, its pretty mental that neither City or Liverpool have dropped any points since March 3rd

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 29, 2019

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Brenda Todgers owes Liverpool a league title, I confidently predict that he will heroically defeat the villainous Mancs next Monday... but it will be too little too late as Rafa will have held Liverpool to a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Brighton will get pasted. Leicester have an outside shot.

Ultimate comedy would be city winning the title, Liverpool winning the Champions league, and then both staring longingly at the other's trophy for the off season

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Brighton will get pasted. Leicester have an outside shot.

Ultimate comedy would be city winning the title, Liverpool winning the Champions league, and then both staring longingly at the other's trophy for the off season

Ultimate comedy would be Liverpool winning nothing, and continuing to win nothing for the rest of existence

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Im 100% convinced that Liverpool are cursed.

They are, but that's part of the appeal. there's nothing quite so satisfying as being a fan of a cursed team

that said this offseason is going to be huge for the team. i bet there's a 50/50 chance mane leaves, but he'll bring back a fortune if he does. that could fund some actual Big Club transfers (de ligt or jovic or brandt or werner)

i think an XI with brandt and de ligt and then either jovic or werner as the first sub option is a better side and may rack up even more points in the league than this year's team before eventually losing out to a rejuvenated arsenal that wins all 38 games.

also both city and pool will draw on the last day, with liverpool giving up a goal in injury time to lose the title

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Shrapnig posted:

Not underrated as a player, but as a personality since I still don't think he speaks much/great English so it's purely about him as a player and not as a person, which is an extra dimension in the age of crazy amounts of (social) media.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
He also has frosted tips, like a member of N'Sync circa 1998

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bewbies posted:

They are, but that's part of the appeal. there's nothing quite so satisfying as being a fan of a cursed team

that said this offseason is going to be huge for the team. i bet there's a 50/50 chance mane leaves, but he'll bring back a fortune if he does. that could fund some actual Big Club transfers (de ligt or jovic or brandt or werner)

i think an XI with brandt and de ligt and then either jovic or werner as the first sub option is a better side and may rack up even more points in the league than this year's team before eventually losing out to a rejuvenated arsenal that wins all 38 games.

also both city and pool will draw on the last day, with liverpool giving up a goal in injury time to lose the title

Why on earth would Mané leave? Why would we need to sell him to fund transfers? We've got loads of money, particularly after two deep CL runs, Mané is about to come second in the golden boot race after scoring the most goals he's ever done and is a crucial member of the team that he loves playing in.

Like maybe he goes and you all quote me and laugh but I have no reason to think that would happen.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Why on earth would Mané leave? Why would we need to sell him to fund transfers? We've got loads of money, particularly after two deep CL runs, Mané is about to come second in the golden boot race after scoring the most goals he's ever done and is a crucial member of the team that he loves playing in.

Like maybe he goes and you all quote me and laugh but I have no reason to think that would happen.

Hes been linked with Real, but so have VVD, Salah and every other player who does remotely well. It probably wont happen as like you said. Theres no reason for us to sell

I mean loving lol some red tops had VVD linked with City...

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Nottherealaborn posted:

Ultimate comedy would be Liverpool winning nothing, and continuing to win nothing for the rest of existence

That wouldn’t be funny at all. That’d just be the normal course of business.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Eau de MacGowan posted:

im expecting pep to leave in the summer, if he doesnt id be surprised if he's still around after the next one. replacing him is going to be a lot harder because thats an even more limited pool.

Don't see him going anywhere this Summer. Didn't he sign a deal that would keep him there longer than he's been at either of his other two clubs? I know contracts are worth gently caress all, but at the end of the day, nobody's going to pay him more and he wants to win the CL so I don't see him leaving City before that's been done. Even though they've not been to a final, City still probably represent his best chance of winning the CL other than going back to Barca before Messi retires.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

zidane is gonna be given most of spains GDP this summer and at least as of a couple of weeks ago, mane was his top target. thats...a lot of wasta. i hope he stays but i'm comfortable with a 50/50 prediction.

and liverpool won't ever have the wallet to make multiple big money transfers without selling, you need oil money or national backing to play like that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Even though they've not been to a final, City still probably represent his best chance of winning the CL other than going back to Barca before Messi retires.

Do they? I would still put Real and Barca above them in terms of potential to win. Especially now Zidane is back.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Winning trophies is simply statistical consistency peaking at the right time, but still winning is great and everyone loves shiny things and reified success to wag in your tribal rivals faces like a chrome phallus, its human nature.

I love Liverpool through the pain, because of it, there's a dignity in suffering - which is why it feels weird for the last 2.5 years - we have been getting better and better and are now smashing the vast majority of the league and keeping pace with a nation-state's success PR rehabilitation project, it just feels like winning instead of mostly suffering punctuated with a W here and there.

Besides it's not over yet.

Secret agent 00Brendan will save us surely.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 29, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I love Liverpool through the pain, because of it, there's a dignity in suffering - which is why it feels weird for the last 2.5 years - we have been getting better and better and are now smashing the vast majority of the league and keeping pace with a nation-state's success PR rehabilitation project, it just feels like winning instead of mostly suffering punctuated with a W here and there.

Do we get a trophy for that?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

CyberPingu posted:

Do we get a trophy for that?

Would you like one?

I'll 3d print us some Liverbirds, if I can find the model. We may have settle for a simple cock.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bailly's done his medial ligament and will miss both the rest of the season and the Africa Cup of Nations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bewbies posted:

zidane is gonna be given most of spains GDP this summer and at least as of a couple of weeks ago, mane was his top target. thats...a lot of wasta. i hope he stays but i'm comfortable with a 50/50 prediction.

and liverpool won't ever have the wallet to make multiple big money transfers without selling, you need oil money or national backing to play like that.

50/50 is mad. Genuinely mad. Zidane's top target changes every week so not sure why you'd think it still is (or ever was) Mané.

We don't need multiple big money transfers, we've also just posted record profits and have multiple deep CL runs. Klopp has also said he doesn't expect us to have a "big" summer anyway.

In general Liverpool are in a good shape and I think fans of other teams are quite desperate to say otherwise. There's little or no chance of any of our star players leaving this summer, which means we go into next season with a squad that got our record points total. We've been very lucky in some aspects - no major injuries to the front three, full backs, or van Dijk - so yeah it could be that one or two of those happen next season and we drop off. However, I also don't think City are going to change much (if at all) - I'm surprised EdM thinks Pep is going to leave because I don't think he'll do that until he wins a CL and that is what next season will be all about - so we'll still have to be very very good.

On the plus side, I think the rest of the top 6 are varying levels of middling to poor. Spurs will probably be alright but without massive investment (that will never happen under Levy) can't really sustain a title challenge. Chelsea are a dumpster fire half the time. Arsenal probably can't fix all their issues in a summer. United missing out on top 4 will be massive. Wouldn't be surprised if the distance between us and City and the rest is about the same next season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

50/50 is mad. Genuinely mad. Zidane's top target changes every week so not sure why you'd think it still is (or ever was) Mané.

i mean, he said it was. or, at least a bunch of spanish and french rags said he said it was. you may accept or reject this information as you see fit

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bailly is apparently proper hosed and will miss AFCON. Poor fucker.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

bewbies posted:

i mean, he said it was. or, at least a bunch of spanish and french rags said he said it was. you may accept or reject this information as you see fit

They have also said that Hazard and Pogba are his top 2, with Mane being a backup if he cant get either.

I wouldnt trust any transfer rumours at this stage....generally until it happens i dont trust them

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I might be misremembering things, but didn’t Mane raise a stink to get out of Southampton? Or was his departure relatively amicable?

All the Mane interviews I’ve read depict a very ambitious guy who desperately wants to win the CL. If Liverpool don’t start winning soon, I can see him doing enough to try to get a move to Madrid without going into Coutinho territory.

Do Madrid really need another wide forward? I thought replacing Benzema and Modric are the most pressing problems, but I might be clutching at straws.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I might be misremembering things, but didn’t Mane raise a stink to get out of Southampton? Or was his departure relatively amicable?

All the Mane interviews I’ve read depict a very ambitious guy who desperately wants to win the CL. If Liverpool don’t start winning soon, I can see him doing enough to try to get a move to Madrid without going into Coutinho territory.

Do Madrid really need another wide forward? I thought replacing Benzema and Modric are the most pressing problems, but I might be clutching at straws.

When has "Does Madrid really need (x)" ever been a valid discussion point tbf

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

When has "Does Madrid really need (x)" ever been a valid discussion point tbf

Zidane has a good head on his shoulders when it comes to valuing squad balance, so I was thinking that he’d deprioritize Mane unless it was an easy grab or Mane played in the position he thought was the biggest problem.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

Zidane has a good head on his shoulders when it comes to valuing squad balance, so I was thinking that he’d deprioritize Mane unless it was an easy grab or Mane played in the position he thought was the biggest problem.

they seem likely to move on from bale this summer, so either mane or hazard are probably just a straight man for man swap in the same position.

i dunno which one zidane would prefer; they're probably about the same quality, hazard is older, but signing mane would probably take a higher transfer fee

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

You have to think Liverpool would ask the whole farm for Mane, like 200+ (not saying hes worth or they will get that, but i think thats what they will ask as they dont need to sell).

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

This is obviously the best outcome for the coming weeks.

If Liverpool draws 2-2 and wins 5-1 for their remaining 2 games, and Manchester City loses 1-0 and wins 1-0 for their last 2 games, the 2 clubs will be absolutely equal in terms of points, goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded.

And if Goals Scored are also same for those teams, then all those teams on top having same points, same goal differences and goals scored would compete in a play-off match at a neutral ground. Note that, a play-off match is played only if there is a tie for championship, relegation, or qualification to other competitions. Otherwise tied teams are considered to occupy the same position.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

You have to think Liverpool would ask the whole farm for Mane, like 200+ (not saying hes worth or they will get that, but i think thats what they will ask as they dont need to sell).

i'd think that'd be a reasonable fee ("reasonable") and i also don't think RM would bat an eye at it if mane is their man. that said the main roadblock might be offloading bale's absolutely stupidly ludicrous big fat contract for idiots, because no team on earth will come anywhere close to matching it, so they're probably going to have to pay him to leave at the same time they're bringing in his replacement.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

Do they? I would still put Real and Barca above them in terms of potential to win. Especially now Zidane is back.

Well I did say "other than going back to Barca before Messi retires" and there's no way he ever goes to Real Madrid. Even on Barca, the current team isn't a patch on the one he had there. They're good, but Pique, Rakitic, Busquets, Suarez & Messi are all the wrong side of 30.

I also think City will win the CL before Real do again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mane is good but he’s not good enough for real

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sexy Sadio isn’t leaving this summer, calm down.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CyberPingu posted:

This is obviously the best outcome for the coming weeks.

If Liverpool draws 2-2 and wins 5-1 for their remaining 2 games, and Manchester City loses 1-0 and wins 1-0 for their last 2 games, the 2 clubs will be absolutely equal in terms of points, goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded.

And if Goals Scored are also same for those teams, then all those teams on top having same points, same goal differences and goals scored would compete in a play-off match at a neutral ground. Note that, a play-off match is played only if there is a tie for championship, relegation, or qualification to other competitions. Otherwise tied teams are considered to occupy the same position.

That would be pretty cool and doesn't feel completely impossible.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1122891707807408129
drat

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/KloppStyle/status/1122894414093877248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture