Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hello everyone, thank you for joining me here today. i want to have a thread to discuss the theory of the horny/volcel axis to examine wrestling characters on, to go along with the face/heel axis. i'll be glad to expand on anything in this thread but i'll let this post give my initial thesis

quote:

i do not believe that horniness should be excised from wrestling, in fact i believe that it is so crucial to wrestling as a whole that wrestlers exist not only on the heel-face x dimension, but also the horny-volcel y dimension. think of it like a 4 quadrant political alignment chart. not only do i believe this helps further inform a character in a non heel-face dependent way, and also informs to how successful they may be in given scenarios. think about how many matches have been decided because of the horny levels of a wrestler being exploited, but then think, would john cena let horniness cloud his performance? would hiroshi tanahashi? not to imply that a volcel wrestler will always defeat a horny wrestler but it's an extra wrinkle to consider when examining wrestling.

i've also prepared a couple of charts to explain what i mean, below are the original chart that i posted, along with an njpw-centric one, because it had been (rightly) pointed out multiple times that there are many celebrated horny wrestlers in new japan.

feel free to expound on this subject further in this thread, i dont want to annoy anyone who would tire of my brand of bullshit in the wwe thread, and i wanted to be able to expand horny/volcel level discussions to wrestlers outside of wwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
You better put the Sensational Sherri down in the very farthest bottom-right corner of your WWE chart and Miss Elisabeth in the bottom-left corner of it, mister.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

surf rock posted:

You better put the Sensational Sherri down in the very farthest bottom-right corner of your WWE chart and Miss Elisabeth in the bottom-left corner of it, mister.

:hai:

Also thank you for the New Japan specific chart, their extreme horniness demands extensive study, and I am very glad you are delving into a field of research that is drastically underfunded.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I'm sorry but ZSJ wrestles in an EXTREMELY horny way.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

surf rock posted:

two examples of the wwf failing the bechdel test miserably because they were horny for the macho man, indeed. i do need to figure out where some women in wrestling figure on the chart, aside from wwe's lesbian angle every few years, most of the examples that come to mind for me are gross attitude era stuff, since that's what i watched when i was a kid. although i recently saw about an angle in japan where a joshi company's ace was accused of having an affair with a giant panda and in the blowoff had to fight the panda's angry panda wife. seems like an interesting point of study in this subject.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Please add Yujiro Takahashi to the graph

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I'm sorry but ZSJ wrestles in an EXTREMELY horny way.

thats kind of the tricky thing when examining njpw, so many wrestlers wrestle in extremely horny ways, but it might not correspond to their character. its like my position on tanahashi allowing others to admire his beauty, but in a non-sexual way. zsj may wrestle in a horny manner, but his mindset is not horny while he does it.

you dont see yujiro? poo poo i must have put him too far down on the purple square

e: for example, sanada and yano; yano wants desperately to learn the paradise lock, because at his alignment, the possiblities are endless with it. sanada refuses to let him learn it, partially because even though he uses a move with such horny power, the way he uses it is not horny at all.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 2, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I want to gently caress all of the women.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I want to gently caress all of the men.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

yujiro's name is on the chart but it's in a very tiny font

as it should be

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

yea ok posted:

I want to gently caress all of the women.

Chris James 2 posted:

I want to gently caress all of the men.

im glad we can all come to an agreement then. this thread is specifically for the studies of wrestling characters vis a vis the horny/volcel alignment axis though, and with such limited funding we should stay on topic.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Masato Yoshino is a strange case, as he is as pure as Tanahashi in maintaining his Volcel-ship, except when interacting with Naruki Doi, in which case he becomes incredibly horny.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I want to gently caress

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Also, Shingo should be much higher on the Volcel scale, he fights with the anger of a man who never fucks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Miro Suzuki?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rhyno bottom left thanks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/bigbossbigmemes/status/1113095970542190592?s=19

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am very glad that this subject has been expanded to fill its own thread, rather than being stuck in an endless loop in the WWE thread, here it will have room to spread its wings and really get some deep analysis.

shiksa posted:

thats kind of the tricky thing when examining njpw, so many wrestlers wrestle in extremely horny ways, but it might not correspond to their character. its like my position on tanahashi allowing others to admire his beauty, but in a non-sexual way. zsj may wrestle in a horny manner, but his mindset is not horny while he does it.

you dont see yujiro? poo poo i must have put him too far down on the purple square

e: for example, sanada and yano; yano wants desperately to learn the paradise lock, because at his alignment, the possiblities are endless with it. sanada refuses to let him learn it, partially because even though he uses a move with such horny power, the way he uses it is not horny at all.

I agree with your analysis of Sanada/Yano, but I disagree with your take on Zack Sabre Jr. Especially since he has joined Suzuki-gun and adapted to Suzuki's specific flavor of technical wrestling. Minoru Suzuki (and Zack Sabre Jr. as his protege) are extremely horny is a sadist's way, they crave power and control in their matches, and this has even been used to damage their ability to win.

For example, look at ZSJ's current storyline with Tanahashi, it has evolved out of Zack's horniness at tearing apart the Ace without exploiting the obvious weak point. As he has demonstrated less control over Tanahashi, he has become more and more frustrated and been lashing out erratically.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

karmicknight posted:

I am very glad that this subject has been expanded to fill its own thread, rather than being stuck in an endless loop in the WWE thread, here it will have room to spread its wings and really get some deep analysis.

I agree with your analysis of Sanada/Yano, but I disagree with your take on Zack Sabre Jr. Especially since he has joined Suzuki-gun and adapted to Suzuki's specific flavor of technical wrestling. Minoru Suzuki (and Zack Sabre Jr. as his protege) are extremely horny is a sadist's way, they crave power and control in their matches, and this has even been used to damage their ability to win.

For example, look at ZSJ's current storyline with Tanahashi, it has evolved out of Zack's horniness at tearing apart the Ace without exploiting the obvious weak point. As he has demonstrated less control over Tanahashi, he has become more and more frustrated and been lashing out erratically.

you raise some good points re: sadism and horniness. this subject is in its infancy and i am very interested to where it leads. ill admit, classifying volcel/heel wrestlers seems harder than most.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You are doing fine work shiksa, I would suggest contacting academic journals to get your research published.

shiksa posted:

two examples of the wwf failing the bechdel test miserably because they were horny for the macho man, indeed. i do need to figure out where some women in wrestling figure on the chart, aside from wwe's lesbian angle every few years, most of the examples that come to mind for me are gross attitude era stuff, since that's what i watched when i was a kid. although i recently saw about an angle in japan where a joshi company's ace was accused of having an affair with a giant panda and in the blowoff had to fight the panda's angry panda wife. seems like an interesting point of study in this subject.

In terms of women, Alexa Bliss would be deep in the purple square as it is canon that girl be thirsty for Finn's abs and Braun's everything. And clearly Bayley is high volcel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The NJPW cameraman is so far down near the bottom of that horny scale that he fell off the page.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

In terms of women, Alexa Bliss would be deep in the purple square as it is canon that girl be thirsty for Finn's abs and Braun's everything. And clearly Bayley is high volcel.

yes, very true. alexa has been a front-runner in wwe's womens' evolution in tasteful yet cartoonish horniness.

Jerusalem posted:

The NJPW cameraman is so far down near the bottom of that horny scale that he fell off the page.

i really am glad i usually watch new japan stuff by myself because good lord, its somethin when miho is with taichi, but if pieter is at a show? look out everyone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Bayley is vocel but in a committed relationship she matches her partner . . . demonstrated how she will swing heel if Sasha does.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The IIconics are of course, a fair modicum of horny but only for each other

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Aleister black is high face/volcel, with ricochet just above neutral

E: agreed with the chart, YOH is definitely hornier than SHO

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't see Danshouko Dino or Hard Gay. What an awful chart

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Did Mandy actually wanna gently caress that one Uso or was she just pretending?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just pretending. The Uso was definitely horny though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rusev and Lana are both very horny but when put together their horniness increases exponentially. This is an important line of investigation that could lead to major breakthroughs on the field.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

I'm surprised Taguchi did not.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hello I made a helpful image regarding TJP

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tanahashi wrestled Billy Gunn so he could show his rear end. He's straddling the line at best

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I do not think Kevin Owens fucks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Suplex Liberace posted:

I do not think Kevin Owens fucks

KO has kids in canon

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
someone please chart the history of mark henry

i feel like he was 99% volcel except for sexual chocolate, but maybe im forgetting some particularly hornt moments

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

You are doing fine work shiksa, I would suggest contacting academic journals to get your research published.

Attitude-Era-wise I would say you could fill the corners of this graph with Face/Horny - Sable, Chyna; Face/Volcel - Molly Holly; Heel/Volcel - Ivory; Heel/Horny - Terri Runnels, Debra

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

bradzilla posted:

:hmmyes:

LobsterMobster posted:

someone please chart the history of mark henry

i feel like he was 99% volcel except for sexual chocolate, but maybe im forgetting some particularly hornt moments

very interesting topic. sexual chocolate was, naturally, incredibly horny, but "hall of pain" mark henry is too grown to be horny, all his energy goes towards pain. personally i dont really know what mark henry was up to between, say, 2003-hall of pain so i'll defer on that time period.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don't have much to add to this thread yet but I am glad it exists because it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As far as Stardom goes, I'd say Mayu is as red as red can be, while Hazuki and Hana Kimura are both in the bottom right, with Hazuki, whose work since being drafted to Oedo Tai has primarily involved her obsessions with the other wrestlers, being further down but Hana being further right.

Honestly, the factions split pretty well, with STARS as Red, QQ as Blue, JAN as Green, and OT as Purple.