Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

When the teenager playing billy grows up will Levi still play captain marvel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
John Glover has somehow been typecast as "abusive CEO father who gets killed in a boardroom by his bald DC supervillain son"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Shazam! was enjoyable. It was definitely the most family-friendly DCEU movie, but that's not a bad thing. I wish Dr. Sivana was a bit hammier, and Mary Marvel had a little screen time, tho.

Darla was the best :kimchi:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This movie was great and super fun. Everybody was perfectly cast, it had a good message, and the jokes all landed for me.

When Mr. Mind showed up at the end it got a HUGE reaction from my audience, with one kid going "THE WORM!!!!", so color me happily surprised that ordinary people are into a very weird and very comic booky concept

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

This movie was great and super fun. Everybody was perfectly cast, it had a good message, and the jokes all landed for me.

When Mr. Mind showed up at the end it got a HUGE reaction from my audience, with one kid going "THE WORM!!!!", so color me happily surprised that ordinary people are into a very weird and very comic booky concept

Probably my main complaint is they could have gone a LOT more cartoony with it, especially in places like the initial look through the Rock of Eternity and when they find the room of doors. The Mr. Mind reveal gave me hope that they can probably lean into that more next movie, and that they were more testing the waters with that

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Guy A. Person posted:

Probably my main complaint is they could have gone a LOT more cartoony with it, especially in places like the initial look through the Rock of Eternity and when they find the room of doors. The Mr. Mind reveal gave me hope that they can probably lean into that more next movie, and that they were more testing the waters with that

The reveal of the Crocodile Men in the doorway was wonderfully weird and a little spooky, so I'd expect some more of that in the sequel.

Now that they've revealed magic is real and based on Mr. Mind's dialogue at the end, there are multiple Lands of magic out there to explore I think we'll see some crazy cool stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

The reveal of the Crocodile Men in the doorway was wonderfully weird and a little spooky, so I'd expect some more of that in the sequel.

Now that they've revealed magic is real and based on Mr. Mind's dialogue at the end, there are multiple Lands of magic out there to explore I think we'll see some crazy cool stuff.

Yeah that is for sure my hope I definitely loved the crocs playing poker and wished that had done more of that, but hopefully an increased budget plus more audience buy-in from the Mr. Mind reveal means they can go into more crazy cartoony comic territory in the next movie

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I may go and see this because I really like Zachary Levi from the old days of Chuck, is it worth paying for cinema tickets

I went and saw this based mostly off of love from Zach Levi in Chuck, and wasn't disappointed. Completely different role obviously, but a similar blend of comedy and action that is the actor's strong suit. I enjoyed seeing it in a theater with a weekend audience as there was a lot of shared laughter at certain scenes, especially the power discovery sequence in the beginning. Wouldn't be the same experience on DVD, I would think.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just got back from seeing this and I'm gonna be the dissenting voice here and say I did not like this at all. The humor was lame, the movie was generally overly sentimental in all the wrong ways, and it got really tiring to see billy transform and then mug/pose angrily for the camera. It definitely feels like it's more of a kids/family friendly movie (some really disturbing scenes notwithstanding). I also feel Sivana missed the mark by imagening him as some sort of Luthor clone

I appreciated the rooftop scene, and I like the idea of the theme, power is to be shared, but man the execution was so.... corny. In fact, that's the best description for this movie, corny, and in a way it's perfect for shazam, but it's really not my cup of tea. Someone post that clip of the animated JL series where Superman talks about Shazam tia.

Also I wonder what kind of movie brianwilly saw cause man, that first post has nothing to do with this movie, I wonder if a wizard brought him into some other magic theatre where he saw a different, better movie. :iiam:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

also what was up with the spell to find a chosen one? That never led anywhere did it? Was that just a setup for a future movie or something or just to show that there is no one pure of heart left?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

also what was up with the spell to find a chosen one? That never led anywhere did it? Was that just a setup for a future movie or something or just to show that there is no one pure of heart left?

Are you talking about the one where he released a bunch of balls of light after meeting Sivana at the beginning of the movie? It was implied that all the people who had "abduction" stories that Sivana was funding research into were a bunch more people who tried and failed the test, after he did that.

I got the impression at least that he had been following and testing people one at a time more methodically but it was taking a long time and the Sins were growing more powerful, so this was an attempt to speed things up. Then of course he was basically forced to even forgo the test by the time Billy arrived and just gamble that he was a good successor

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Are you talking about the one where he released a bunch of balls of light after meeting Sivana at the beginning of the movie? It was implied that all the people who had "abduction" stories that Sivana was funding research into were a bunch more people who tried and failed the test, after he did that.

I got the impression at least that he had been following and testing people one at a time more methodically but it was taking a long time and the Sins were growing more powerful, so this was an attempt to speed things up. Then of course he was basically forced to even forgo the test by the time Billy arrived and just gamble that he was a good successor

Yeah all that is correct, I was wondering if the spell wad ever mentioned or seen again

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

Yeah all that is correct, I was wondering if the spell wad ever mentioned or seen again

Okay yeah, I get that it was weirdly conveyed because obviously he had already done something to summon Sivana and test him. So this either implied he was broadening his search or speeding it up or I guess just recasting it again after a century or something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s been searching for a long time, and now just doubled it so someone could be found.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, "settling" on Billy was shown to be an act of desperation by the wizard based on how he was running out of time to find someone. I don't see how that was hard to miss but OK.

I dig this movie and whoever said it was "corny" was spot on but it was "corny" in a good way I think and mostly captured the child like nature of the subject matter and the power fantasy narrative. Most of the jokes landed but some didn't and overall I wanted more of them. My theater was into it and seemed to enjoy themselves plus my 8 year old had a blast. It's been fun showing him...I dunno..."kid friendly" superhero movies like Superman 1 and 2 plus this one. Incredibles 1 and 2. He gets a kick out of them in ways that TDK or BvS don't provide and it's neat watching movies I grew up with fresh eyes.

True story: we got there about 5 or 10 minutes before showtime and I was psyched that we only got one preview (Alladin) before the feature started. About 15 minutes in (sometime around the car crash with young Sivana), the movie just rebooted and we got previews again. A couple of us went out to complain and/or alert the theater that the movie was loving up. Apparently, someone actually bitched that they MISSED the previews or something and the feature started too fast so the management rewound the film so we got had to watch the first 15 minutes of the movie twice, along with the popcorn and coke commercial and Alladin again..

Yeah. We live in an age where someone will actually bitch about a movie not showing ENOUGH commercials and genuinely starting on time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, "settling" on Billy was shown to be an act of desperation by the wizard based on how he was running out of time to find someone. I don't see how that was hard to miss but OK.

I dig this movie and whoever said it was "corny" was spot on but it was "corny" in a good way I think and mostly captured the child like nature of the subject matter and the power fantasy narrative. Most of the jokes landed but some didn't and overall I wanted more of them. My theater was into it and seemed to enjoy themselves plus my 8 year old had a blast. It's been fun showing him...I dunno..."kid friendly" superhero movies like Superman 1 and 2 plus this one. Incredibles 1 and 2. He gets a kick out of them in ways that TDK or BvS don't provide and it's neat watching movies I grew up with fresh eyes.

True story: we got there about 5 or 10 minutes before showtime and I was psyched that we only got one preview (Alladin) before the feature started. About 15 minutes in (sometime around the car crash with young Sivana), the movie just rebooted and we got previews again. A couple of us went out to complain and/or alert the theater that the movie was loving up. Apparently, someone actually bitched that they MISSED the previews or something and the feature started too fast so the management rewound the film so we got had to watch the first 15 minutes of the movie twice, along with the popcorn and coke commercial and Alladin again..

Yeah. We live in an age where someone will actually bitch about a movie not showing ENOUGH commercials and genuinely starting on time.

there are enough people out there that automatically add an extra 15 minutes to any movie showtime because they assume ads and trailers are gonna push it back, it was probably someone who normally does that but arrived to find that they missed the first five minutes.

now, what they should have done was just said "well, if you keep gambling like this one day you're eventually gonna gently caress up and miss the first five minutes of something". and what the manager of that theater should have said was "well, our showtime is X:XX and if you show up after that time we're not responsible for you missing anything, because ad/trailer times fluctuate depending on the day/movie". that manager was a coward.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DC Murderverse posted:

"well, our showtime is X:XX and if you show up after that time we're not responsible for you missing anything, because ad/trailer times fluctuate depending on the day/movie". that manager was a coward.

Yeah I would have no problem telling someone "it's an entire theater full of people and I'm not going to restart the movie for you, however if you like we can arrange for you to wait around afterwards and catch the beginning of a different showing. Failing that we can refund your ticket."

I would call the chain's hq and complain, because that manager hosed over a bunch of people for one rear end in a top hat and they need to be told they shouldn't do that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, I mean whatever it wasn't a deal breaker or something that would set me off but when the film re-looped INCLUDING the concession commercials (not just the previews) a few people who had already seen the first 15 or 20 minutes or so noticeably got up to go say something and I was honestly surprised that the feedback/explanation I heard was "someone said they didn't get to see the previews/commercials", which most people generally hate anyway.

Seemed like an odd choice to totally reboot the experience since everyone was already mostly seated and invested. It honestly would have made MORE sense if management had freaked out over failing to show enough commercials but the idea that someone complained was just odd to me since who the gently caress wants to watch ads?

Whatever. It gave me a chance to re-explain the opening since I think my kid thought that Sivana was the hero and was temporarily confused.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I had virtually zero interest in seeing this film, but I heard from multiple people that it was good. Well, it is good. DC is up to two good movies (this and Wonder Woman) out of the five that I've seen, in my opinion. Can't speak to Justice League or Aquaman since I didn't see those.

For most of the movie I was enjoying it reasonably well because of the kid-superhero hijinks, but all his siblings getting the same superhero treatment at the end made it go from good to great in my opinion. What a cool moment, super-fun idea, and the execution was pretty good. Darla and her Shazam version were total scene-stealers. The oldest sister, Mary, was also pretty good although I didn't love that they put her up against the tentacle monster at the end, gross. I also thought the two brothers who weren't Freddy were super-undeveloped; I don't even remember their names.

I do wonder: after doing a bit of poking around on Wikipedia afterward, I have to imagine that for someone who's familiar with the comics that some of the stuff was really telegraphed. For example, the sister being named Mary giving away the awesome "they all get powers!" twist. Captain Marvel seems like a hero that 0.1% of people would know enough about these days for that to be the case, though, so maybe that doesn't matter and those folks were just having fun spotting the Easter eggs.

The best thing I can say for the movie is that I would like them to make a sequel and that I would happily go see it.

edit: I also spent at least 20 minutes after Shazam's first appearance thinking that he was played by Jimmy Fallon in a muscle costume.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 9, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

surf rock posted:

For most of the movie I was enjoying it reasonably well because of the kid-superhero hijinks, but all his siblings getting the same superhero treatment at the end made it go from good to great in my opinion. What a cool moment, super-fun idea, and the execution was pretty good. Darla and her Shazam version were total scene-stealers. The oldest sister, Mary, was also pretty good although I didn't love that they put her up against the tentacle monster at the end, gross. I also thought the two brothers who weren't Freddy were super-undeveloped; I don't even remember their names.

I thought all that was great too especially given the set up where Billy finally tracked down his mom and she wanted nothing to do with him so he learned what his real family was. It was surprisingly dark TBH (the mom "gently caress off" scene) and unexpected but it made the "this is my REAL family" payoff resonate in a way it wouldn't have otherwise.

Movie had a couple of unusual "grown up moments" and couple of s-bombs where my kid was like "he said a bad word" but nothing that was enough to cause concern (he's 8 btw and he's heard me say worse) . The mom scene was the harshest but I don't think it resonated with him since he has parents who love him and are invested in his life.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One of the greatest differences of theme between the the recent DC films and the films of one Zachary Snyder can be seen in how the two types of films treat the very concept of "having superpowers." The very short answer is that the former treats them as empowering responsibilities, while the latter treats them as cruel burdens.

Broadly speaking, the superhuman capabilities of Diana, Arthur Curry, and Billy Batson are directly correlated with their own emotional, personal, and spiritual maturity. The more that Diana travels and discovers and emerges from her childlike perspective of the world, the more powerful she becomes. The more that Arthur unpacks the personal issues holding him back -- including but not limited to unlearning his former brutish and merciless worldviews -- the more powerful that he becomes. "Power" is a fixed metaphor for personal growth in these instances, for emotional clarity, for maturity and the acceptance of the responsibilities that this maturity entails. Until they learn the lessons that their journeys are intended to teach them, they are not yet Wonder Woman or Aquaman, nor are they as powerful as Wonder Woman or Aquaman should be.

In Billy's case, the personal maturation metaphor is...well, outright literal; hello, his main superpower is turning from a child to an adult. He first gains his powers after choosing to help his foster brother against bullies, and discovers the breadths of these powers alongside this newfound family member. But then he forsakes Freddy for selfish reasons, which leads directly to him getting curbstomped by Sivana and literally turning back into a scared child in mind as well as body. But then he transforms into an adult again after he's able to let go of his comforting yet childish fixation on a mother who abandoned him. And finally, after he has the emotional clarity and wisdom to realize and accept that his new family is his real family, Billy is able to unlock the true powers of Shazam and use them like they were meant to be used.

There's a throughline here with all these examples: growing up is tough. Becoming an adult, working through your issues, becoming the person you're meant to be, becoming as good as you can be?...it's a bittersweet affair, it's not going to be all fun and games. It's seeing the darkness in the world where once you only saw light, it's having to take responsibility for things you never dreamed of taking responsibility for, and it's letting go of things you love because those things are keeping you from moving forward. But nontheless it is rewarding, and the rewards are well worth it. Self-improvement is literally empowering, and yes, with this great empowerment comes the expected great responsibility...but that is also not a bad thing.

This part is key: in the purview of the current DCEU, the great powers and responsibilities that are part and parcel of living up to your own personal heroic potential are Good Things. They are desirable outcomes. They are well worth the cost you paid for them. Never once do these films suggest that our superheroic leads should become anything other than what they have become. On the contrary, these powers and responsibilities are the rewards that they deserve for having made it through the crucibles that they did and growing into the best version of them that they can be. Being Wonder Woman, being Aquaman, and being Shazam is your happy ending. Congratulations, kids. You've made it. You've done good.

...Now. Let's take a look at Zachary Snyder's work.

He himself has made no secret of it: realistic superheroism means ugliness and violence. It is a brutal and pitiless affair and can only ever be a brutal and pitiless affair. There is no room in Snyder's worldview for personal enlightenment as an empowering process, because coming to understand the world, coming to learn duty and responsibility, learning to be a hero, is all just going to lead to someone else's horses drowning in a river because there is absolutely no unequivocally good thing in this world that isn't also being dragged down somehow by something bad that it caused. True wisdom, per Snyder, is coming to accept that this is true: Make it through the cruelties of the world and there is only more cruelty waiting for you on the other side. Grow up and dill with it.

Because there is, in fact, a growth metaphor attached to Snyder's works as well, but it more corresponds to the concept of "growing into your power" as something burdensome and traumatic as opposed to something elevating. Not only is Clark's entire childhood encapsulated by superpowers that cause him literal physical pain, but the more that he grows as a person and in personal power, the worse that things are. All of which climaxes during the Zod fight, wherein Clark is arguably at his most powerful, having stepped fully into his role as a protector of the planet. It is not a celebratory moment however, but one marred solely by violence and brutality and destruction and neck-snapping. This is what growing up is like, per Snyder. This is what personal developments leads to.

There are shades of the same concept in Snyder's treatment of Batman; namely, the longer that Bruce acts as Batman and, in fact, the more effective a Batman he becomes, the worse that things around him become as well. All things trend towards entropy and corruption in Snyderworld, and the Batman of BvS is the final form of the Snyder hero, one who has lived through this world and learned its wisdoms: a torn down, worn out, compromised old man. He's what Superman is going to become at some point. He may even be what Billy Batson will become at some point, if we follow Snyderian logic to its conclusion.

Now, ostensibly, BvS is the story of Batman...recovering...from this entropy. But the only glimpse we get of the "recovered" Batman is still one who kills his enemies without restraint. And from what we know of his original Justice League treatment, it's doubtful that we would've seen this Batman become any noticeably less dark. Again, Snyder himself emphasizes that this is the only way it can be. This is the best case scenario Batman. Snyder's world does not allow room for self-improvement as an empowering process, much less a super-empowering process; there is no version of this story where Batman learns a valuable lesson and thereby becomes powerful enough to not have to kill, where Batman becomes as powerful as Batman deserves to be. You kids wanna be Batman? You wanna be Superman? You fools. You absolute imbeciles. This is what you get instead.

It is a...shallow worldview. A world that does not allow for consequence-free self-improvement is not a real world. A world that does not allow for heroism as catharsis, as transformation for the better, is as cartoonish as any you'd find in any children's program or, hey, maybe in a comic book. You could tell that story if you wanted to, perhaps. But you cannot claim superiority or profundity for it. And when I refer to the vast unbridgeable chasm of execution and presentation between the recent DCEU films and the world that Snyder had created previously, when people take issue with Snyder's stuff for being dark while declaring what a breath of fresh air the more recent entries have been, it's going to be mostly in regards to this sentiment: that Snyder has a view of superheroism that is fundamentally unrewarding and handicapped by entropy, while his fellow directors see superheroism in an of itself as a desired outcome that is rewarded to those who have earned that privilege.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My first reaction upon leaving the theatre is that Shazam is possibly the dumbest, most actively unhelpful “mentor” I’ve ever seen in a superhero movie. Jesus Christ. Even putting aside the inferiority complexes he’s inflicted on hundreds of people worldwide, he gives Billy no help or direction. He fails to warn the fourteen-year-old kid that he’s just been robbed and is about to be hunted down by a mad scientist and the living embodiment of the Seven Deadly Sins, leaving the kid and the entire second act rudderless. I don’t generally like to get hung up on a single character but seriously what the gently caress? Even Jude Law in Captain Marvel gave occasionally good advice.

My second thought was how severe of a course correction this was for the DCU. Between Billy’s cute sibling sidekicks and the whole training montage, the screenwriters seemed to be trying their hardest to ape Marvel and Guardians specifically. I don’t think it entirely worked. While I enjoyed a few of the jokes, the movie occasionally thrown off kilter by sudden dark turns like Mark Strong's scientist disintegrating like she's looked at the Ark of the Covenant, the board room massacre, and the explicit threats of child murder. Most of the “adult” jokes, like swearing Santa and Superman cameo rubbed me the wrong way too.

I don’t know anything about the source material, but, having read the excellent effort post earlier in the thread of Shazam’s villains, I almost would have preferred if they went very silly and incorporated every gonzo element from the comics. As it is, the movie is brought down by a bland villain and a conflict that feels pretty generic conflict

E: My verdict is that it’s an improvement on previous entries but still a subpar movie. Completely understand I am in the minority here and glad others enjoyed it.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 9, 2019

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004

surf rock posted:

I do wonder: after doing a bit of poking around on Wikipedia afterward, I have to imagine that for someone who's familiar with the comics that some of the stuff was really telegraphed. For example, the sister being named Mary giving away the awesome "they all get powers!" twist. Captain Marvel seems like a hero that 0.1% of people would know enough about these days for that to be the case, though, so maybe that doesn't matter and those folks were just having fun spotting the Easter eggs.

I'm not as big on Shazam/DC, but I knew who they were. This was just really cool to me because I figured that would be sequel bait. The fact that they did it in the first movie instead was awesome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BrianWilly posted:

One of the greatest differences of theme between the the recent DC films and the films of one Zachary Snyder can be seen in how the two types of films treat the very concept of "having superpowers." The very short answer is that the former treats them as empowering responsibilities, while the latter treats them as cruel burdens.

Broadly speaking, the superhuman capabilities of Diana, Arthur Curry, and Billy Batson are directly correlated with their own emotional, personal, and spiritual maturity. The more that Diana travels and discovers and emerges from her childlike perspective of the world, the more powerful she becomes. The more that Arthur unpacks the personal issues holding him back -- including but not limited to unlearning his former brutish and merciless worldviews -- the more powerful that he becomes. "Power" is a fixed metaphor for personal growth in these instances, for emotional clarity, for maturity and the acceptance of the responsibilities that this maturity entails. Until they learn the lessons that their journeys are intended to teach them, they are not yet Wonder Woman or Aquaman, nor are they as powerful as Wonder Woman or Aquaman should be.

In Billy's case, the personal maturation metaphor is...well, outright literal; hello, his main superpower is turning from a child to an adult. He first gains his powers after choosing to help his foster brother against bullies, and discovers the breadths of these powers alongside this newfound family member. But then he forsakes Freddy for selfish reasons, which leads directly to him getting curbstomped by Sivana and literally turning back into a scared child in mind as well as body. But then he transforms into an adult again after he's able to let go of his comforting yet childish fixation on a mother who abandoned him. And finally, after he has the emotional clarity and wisdom to realize and accept that his new family is his real family, Billy is able to unlock the true powers of Shazam and use them like they were meant to be used.

There's a throughline here with all these examples: growing up is tough. Becoming an adult, working through your issues, becoming the person you're meant to be, becoming as good as you can be?...it's a bittersweet affair, it's not going to be all fun and games. It's seeing the darkness in the world where once you only saw light, it's having to take responsibility for things you never dreamed of taking responsibility for, and it's letting go of things you love because those things are keeping you from moving forward. But nontheless it is rewarding, and the rewards are well worth it. Self-improvement is literally empowering, and yes, with this great empowerment comes the expected great responsibility...but that is also not a bad thing.

This part is key: in the purview of the current DCEU, the great powers and responsibilities that are part and parcel of living up to your own personal heroic potential are Good Things. They are desirable outcomes. They are well worth the cost you paid for them. Never once do these films suggest that our superheroic leads should become anything other than what they have become. On the contrary, these powers and responsibilities are the rewards that they deserve for having made it through the crucibles that they did and growing into the best version of them that they can be. Being Wonder Woman, being Aquaman, and being Shazam is your happy ending. Congratulations, kids. You've made it. You've done good.

...Now. Let's take a look at Zachary Snyder's work.

He himself has made no secret of it: realistic superheroism means ugliness and violence. It is a brutal and pitiless affair and can only ever be a brutal and pitiless affair. There is no room in Snyder's worldview for personal enlightenment as an empowering process, because coming to understand the world, coming to learn duty and responsibility, learning to be a hero, is all just going to lead to someone else's horses drowning in a river because there is absolutely no unequivocally good thing in this world that isn't also being dragged down somehow by something bad that it caused. True wisdom, per Snyder, is coming to accept that this is true: Make it through the cruelties of the world and there is only more cruelty waiting for you on the other side. Grow up and dill with it.

Because there is, in fact, a growth metaphor attached to Snyder's works as well, but it more corresponds to the concept of "growing into your power" as something burdensome and traumatic as opposed to something elevating. Not only is Clark's entire childhood encapsulated by superpowers that cause him literal physical pain, but the more that he grows as a person and in personal power, the worse that things are. All of which climaxes during the Zod fight, wherein Clark is arguably at his most powerful, having stepped fully into his role as a protector of the planet. It is not a celebratory moment however, but one marred solely by violence and brutality and destruction and neck-snapping. This is what growing up is like, per Snyder. This is what personal developments leads to.

There are shades of the same concept in Snyder's treatment of Batman; namely, the longer that Bruce acts as Batman and, in fact, the more effective a Batman he becomes, the worse that things around him become as well. All things trend towards entropy and corruption in Snyderworld, and the Batman of BvS is the final form of the Snyder hero, one who has lived through this world and learned its wisdoms: a torn down, worn out, compromised old man. He's what Superman is going to become at some point. He may even be what Billy Batson will become at some point, if we follow Snyderian logic to its conclusion.

Now, ostensibly, BvS is the story of Batman...recovering...from this entropy. But the only glimpse we get of the "recovered" Batman is still one who kills his enemies without restraint. And from what we know of his original Justice League treatment, it's doubtful that we would've seen this Batman become any noticeably less dark. Again, Snyder himself emphasizes that this is the only way it can be. This is the best case scenario Batman. Snyder's world does not allow room for self-improvement as an empowering process, much less a super-empowering process; there is no version of this story where Batman learns a valuable lesson and thereby becomes powerful enough to not have to kill, where Batman becomes as powerful as Batman deserves to be. You kids wanna be Batman? You wanna be Superman? You fools. You absolute imbeciles. This is what you get instead.

It is a...shallow worldview. A world that does not allow for consequence-free self-improvement is not a real world. A world that does not allow for heroism as catharsis, as transformation for the better, is as cartoonish as any you'd find in any children's program or, hey, maybe in a comic book. You could tell that story if you wanted to, perhaps. But you cannot claim superiority or profundity for it. And when I refer to the vast unbridgeable chasm of execution and presentation between the recent DCEU films and the world that Snyder had created previously, when people take issue with Snyder's stuff for being dark while declaring what a breath of fresh air the more recent entries have been, it's going to be mostly in regards to this sentiment: that Snyder has a view of superheroism that is fundamentally unrewarding and handicapped by entropy, while his fellow directors see superheroism in an of itself as a desired outcome that is rewarded to those who have earned that privilege.

lol oh my god

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

I'm not as big on Shazam/DC, but I knew who they were. This was just really cool to me because I figured that would be sequel bait. The fact that they did it in the first movie instead was awesome.

I don't know the full family, I but the most popular ones yes, Mary has always been a favorite for me. It's a shame that she indeed didn't have enough screen time.

Spoilers because why not:

I loved all this little nudges to Mister Tawky Tawny, I was probably the only idiot smiling wide whenever the plush toy tiger was casually brought in the scenes were Billy was younger and when he gives it to the scared little girl. :3: If we get the sequel I hope they go full silly and bring the anthropomorphic dapper tiger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Take it to the loving Snyder dome ffs

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I liked the BIG reference in the toy store.

Also the two school bullies were 80s/90s characters in the whole thing. Park their truck right up at the front curb, knock over a crippled kid in the process and then beat the poo poo out of him? How are they even allowed to show up at school?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Desperado Bones posted:

I loved all this little nudges to Mister Tawky Tawny, I was probably the only idiot smiling wide whenever the plush toy tiger was casually brought in the scenes were Billy was younger and when he gives it to the scared little girl. :3: If we get the sequel I hope they go full silly and bring the anthropomorphic dapper tiger.

i'll be amazed if they made him grimdark

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Gnome de plume posted:

Also the two school bullies were 80s/90s characters in the whole thing. Park their truck right up at the front curb, knock over a crippled kid in the process and then beat the poo poo out of him? How are they even allowed to show up at school?

Oh, yeah, that part didn't really work for me. Kids can be jerks, but we had a couple of disabled kids in my school growing up and not even the most rear end in a top hat-ish kids would've taken a swing at one of them, let alone do so after HITTING HIM WITH THEIR TRUCK. Jesus Christ! Those kids were like serial-killer evil.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yeah, they reminded me a lot of the kinds of bullies who show up in Stephen King novels.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Not gonna read past the first block of text but the main thing I was hoping to get out of this movie was a "kid suddenly get superpowers, has to learn to use them responsibly" plot that wasn't just Spider-Man all over again and I feel like it was different enough for my tastes, so yay

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tawny is cool

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

surf rock posted:

Oh, yeah, that part didn't really work for me. Kids can be jerks, but we had a couple of disabled kids in my school growing up and not even the most rear end in a top hat-ish kids would've taken a swing at one of them, let alone do so after HITTING HIM WITH THEIR TRUCK. Jesus Christ! Those kids were like serial-killer evil.

Related: A new super hero is in town. Their truck disappears and is then dropped from a great height. Freddy walks into the scene with a helmet and GoPro. Freddy later claims to be friends with Captain MarvelTHUNDERCLAP and you doubt him and threaten him if he doesn't get the new hero (who just wrecked your truck) to show up at lunch?

Also it's clearly Freddy talking in all the videos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just learned the Movie did good enough over the Weekend that a sequel has been greenlit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

surf rock posted:

Sadly, as someone who went to school in Philadelphia, I can 100% say that bullies can and would attack disabled students here.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Watched this last night. It was OK. I mainly want to talk about something mentioned upthread about how Shazam is the worst wizard ever and probably a total moron. I'll just spoil all of it.

Literally every person he ever tested to be champion failed and he only gave Billy the power because he had no choice and the Sins weren't even there to tempt Billy. We can then see throughout the movie that Billy really isn't ready to be a hero and only becomes one after being allowed to fail and grow and learn about family etc.

Maybe if any of the other candidates had been allowed to grow into the role they could have turned out OK like Billy did in the end. I get that the bad experience with what I assume was Black Adam made Shazam create a more stringent test, but if it is a test nobody can pass, it's a poo poo test.

Maybe his "find me a hero!" spell was broke and it only found people who are like 50/50 or something. The test never found Superman?

TLDR - Shazam needs to refine his recruitment and training processes, thank you for reading.

Also, this was mostly a kids film but the violence in the boardroom scene was some straight horror movie stuff and the relationship with Billy's birth mother was something where I really wonder if little kids can understand what's happening there.

Or maybe kids can pick up on more than I think and I should stop being an old man about it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tawny is cool

Daniel Craig('s voice) for Tawky-Tawny

garycoleisgod posted:

Watched this last night. It was OK. I mainly want to talk about something mentioned upthread about how Shazam is the worst wizard ever and probably a total moron. I'll just spoil all of it.

Literally every person he ever tested to be champion failed and he only gave Billy the power because he had no choice and the Sins weren't even there to tempt Billy. We can then see throughout the movie that Billy really isn't ready to be a hero and only becomes one after being allowed to fail and grow and learn about family etc.

Maybe if any of the other candidates had been allowed to grow into the role they could have turned out OK like Billy did in the end. I get that the bad experience with what I assume was Black Adam made Shazam create a more stringent test, but if it is a test nobody can pass, it's a poo poo test.

Maybe his "find me a hero!" spell was broke and it only found people who are like 50/50 or something. The test never found Superman?

TLDR - Shazam needs to refine his recruitment and training processes, thank you for reading.
i think it was pretty obvious that The Wizard Shazam is an rear end in a top hat.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
This should go without saying: all wizards are assholes.

Gandalf? Bit of an rear end in a top hat. Dumbledore? rear end in a top hat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gnome de plume posted:

This should go without saying: all wizards are assholes.

Gandalf? Bit of an rear end in a top hat. Dumbledore? rear end in a top hat.

Shazam is only two years younger then Gandalf, she is is one of the OG rear end in a top hat Wizards as well.

In the first comic, he abducts Billy says "I am giving you powers and I know everything, Then after transforming him is crushed by a rock suspended over him by a string, having given him no no details or instructions. Later on they decided a mentor would be useful and made it so that Captain Marvel could summon his ghost by lighting a brazier by his old throne, who could give him advice and such.

Also with the new movie, Billy really needs to learn how to use one of his most useful powers the Wisdom of Solomon. In the comics he could tap into it at any time when transformed by doing the thinking pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DC Murderverse posted:

Daniel Craig('s voice) for Tawky-Tawny

i think it was pretty obvious that The Wizard Shazam is an rear end in a top hat.

I was thinking Mads Mikkelsen , so we could have a tiger Hannibal, but that will do.