Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gnome de plume posted:

This should go without saying: all wizards are assholes.

Gandalf? Bit of an rear end in a top hat. Dumbledore? rear end in a top hat.

Merlin? Huge rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Merlin? Huge rear end in a top hat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuoProQuid posted:

My first reaction upon leaving the theatre is that Shazam is possibly the dumbest, most actively unhelpful “mentor” I’ve ever seen in a superhero movie. Jesus Christ.

There is a real good comic of superman finding out shazam's identity for the first time and just flipping out and flying immediately to shazam to call him a monster

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This movies looks awful. We haven’t had a good comic book movie since BvS.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really enjoyed this. Kept making me think of Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters or Big Trouble in Little China. Which is pretty great company for an adventure movie.

Something about the mix of corny humour, sincerity, self awareness and kinda shocking content at times just felt 80s as gently caress and in a good 'oh hey haven't seen a flick like this in a while' way, not a cheap nostalgia 'hey remember this' way.

garycoleisgod posted:

Watched this last night. It was OK. I mainly want to talk about something mentioned upthread about how Shazam is the worst wizard ever and probably a total moron. I'll just spoil all of it.

Literally every person he ever tested to be champion failed and he only gave Billy the power because he had no choice and the Sins weren't even there to tempt Billy. We can then see throughout the movie that Billy really isn't ready to be a hero and only becomes one after being allowed to fail and grow and learn about family etc.

Maybe if any of the other candidates had been allowed to grow into the role they could have turned out OK like Billy did in the end. I get that the bad experience with what I assume was Black Adam made Shazam create a more stringent test, but if it is a test nobody can pass, it's a poo poo test.

Maybe his "find me a hero!" spell was broke and it only found people who are like 50/50 or something. The test never found Superman?

TLDR - Shazam needs to refine his recruitment and training processes, thank you for reading.

Also, this was mostly a kids film but the violence in the boardroom scene was some straight horror movie stuff and the relationship with Billy's birth mother was something where I really wonder if little kids can understand what's happening there.

Or maybe kids can pick up on more than I think and I should stop being an old man about it.

I mean. DCCU Clark is kinda poo poo. Like not even as a knock on the Snyder movies (though I dislike them) he just wasn't exactly 'pure of heart'.

Diana on the other hand... though I guess she already has Zeus powers so maybe she's ineligible.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the moral of shazam is that we are all products of our environment. the idea that anyone can be “pure of heart” is not just an impossible ideal but fundamentally toxic and self-destructive.

much like the law-and-order advocates of the 80s and 90s, shazam the wizard uses inflamed, hyperbolic rhetoric to justify a capricious regime of impossible tests and procedures. those who fail are cast aside, with no consideration of how they have been traumatized. families are literally ripped apart and countless innocent people are left with mental scars disregarded as “hysteria.”

when shazam is finally confronted with the unintended consequences of his actions, he chooses to leave, forcing the next generation to clean up his mess for him.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 9, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

the moral of shazam is that we are all products of our environment. the idea that anyone can be “pure of heart” is not just an impossible ideal but fundamentally toxic and self-destructive.

much like the law-and-order advocates of the 80s and 90s, shazam the wizard uses inflamed, hyperbolic rhetoric to justify a capricious regime of impossible tests and procedures. those who fail are cast aside, with no consideration of how they have been traumatized. families are literally ripped apart and countless innocent people are left with mental scars disregarded as “hysteria.”

when shazam is finally confronted with the unintended consequences of his actions, he chooses to leave, forcing the next generation to clean up his mess for him.
You're saying shazam was a boomer?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a real good comic of superman finding out shazam's identity for the first time and just flipping out and flying immediately to shazam to call him a monster

Those panels are soo good, also when Supes finds billy cowering in the mountains.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the superheroine costume designs were insanely outdated

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sponges posted:

This movies looks awful. We haven’t had a good comic book movie since BvS.

Spiderverse

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Venuz Patrol posted:

the superheroine costume designs were insanely outdated

It's literally just Mary Marvel's classic look.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

McCloud posted:

You're saying shazam was a boomer?

i bet he posts minion memes about how kids these days are more interested in avocado toast than they are in moral perfection

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Billy Batson fought nazis in WWII. That generation aged hard. He looked like he was in his mid thirties by the time he was 10.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got out of seeing this. It was good. I laughed a lot. Levi owns the role, but Darla is easily the best of them.

The DCEU's focus on how important the hero's relationship is with their mother is something I loved about MoS, BvS, WW, and Aquaman. Shazam is no different. I'm a sucker for movies about family, so this hit some pretty emotional highs for me. There's lots to love about the character element here. This isn't the DCEU's best film, but it's obviously the most fun. My only complaint would probably be the lack of any super big action set pieces, but the film's story was smaller in scale so that's only a minor gripe really.

That said, it's crazy to me how Shazam works really well as a standalone upbeat magic-powered superhero family movie that feels like it's doing it's own thing, but still manages to feel in-universe with the rest of the DCEU movies that have come before it. Looking forward to the sequel. If this is what WB/DC meant when they said they're focusing less on the shared universe concept, I like it. I don't need or really care for seeing each hero together in team ups contributing to an overarching narrative. Marvel already does that just fine. Standalone films that share a little bit of continuity is cool and I think works better for the big DC heroes who are much more in the "larger than life" category than most other comic book characters imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 9, 2019

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

The reveal of the Crocodile Men in the doorway was wonderfully weird and a little spooky, so I'd expect some more of that in the sequel.

Now that they've revealed magic is real and based on Mr. Mind's dialogue at the end, there are multiple Lands of magic out there to explore I think we'll see some crazy cool stuff.

The current story in the comics is all about those lands of magic and Mr. Mind and if they lean into that story for inspiration in the sequel it's gonna be weird as hell.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

McCloud posted:

Those panels are soo good, also when Supes finds billy cowering in the mountains.

These ones? I really liked this part in the comic because it does such a good job of showing that even in his super-powerful adult form, he's still just a kid mind-wise.

That and Superman's weak to magic, but he's so pissed off for Billy's situation, he goes and confronts a fuckin' wizard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

Just got out of seeing this. It was good. I laughed a lot. Levi owns the role, but Darla is easily the best of them.

The DCEU's focus on how important the hero's relationship is with their mother is something I loved about MoS, BvS, WW, and Aquaman. Shazam is no different. I'm a sucker for movies about family, so this hit some pretty emotional highs for me. There's lots to love about the character element here. This isn't the DCEU's best film, but it's obviously the most fun. My only complaint would probably be the lack of any super big action set pieces, but the film's story was smaller in scale so that's only a minor gripe really.

That said, it's crazy to me how Shazam works really well as a standalone upbeat magic-powered superhero family movie that feels like it's doing it's own thing, but still manages to feel in-universe with the rest of the DCEU movies that have come before it. Looking forward to the sequel. If this is what WB/DC meant when they said they're focusing less on the shared universe concept, I like it. I don't need or really care for seeing each hero together in team ups contributing to an overarching narrative. Marvel already does that just fine. Standalone films that share a little bit of continuity is cool and I think works better for the big DC heroes who are much more in the "larger than life" category than most other comic book characters imo.

Besides, Shazam!'s credits sequence, ripoff of Homecoming though it might be, is already the best crossover DC could ever hope for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Besides, Shazam!'s credits sequence, ripoff of Homecoming though it might be, is already the best crossover DC could ever hope for.

The Black Zero Event from the perspective of Bruce Wayne at the start of BvS is the best display of the shared universe concept at work, imo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

The Black Zero Event from the perspective of Bruce Wayne at the start of BvS is the best display of the shared universe concept at work, imo.

it's the only time it was ever good outside of something beyond quick comedy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just saw this page of Sivana and felt like sharing it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the one hand, killing people is bad, on the other hand, they're cops.

In conclusion, Dr Sivana is a villain of contrasts.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

huh, Sivana used to be a good guy, cool

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

it's the only time it was ever good outside of something beyond quick comedy.

Eh, I'd say at the time of its release, the novelty of the first Avengers movie is pretty good. The novelty quickly wore off though.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I do like that the super-villain decided to stop dicking around with complicated plans and just got a gun.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this is a bit of a dumb question, but does the movie ever explain why billy batson is physically unable to hit the deadly sin demons when initially fighting sivana initially but is somehow able to do so when he disperses his powers to his family?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Eh, I'd say at the time of its release, the novelty of the first Avengers movie is pretty good. The novelty quickly wore off though.

I've said it before, but I'd seen that as a kid watching Universal and Godzilla movies. It may have been for younger people, but for me, it was like "oh, we're doing this again." Especially since they didn't maintain the character continuity of the older movies (which the Universal movies were super guilty of as well).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

this is a bit of a dumb question, but does the movie ever explain why billy batson is physically unable to hit the deadly sin demons when initially fighting sivana initially but is somehow able to do so when he disperses his powers to his family?

I think they were just actively phasing and then decided not to.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the sins can just become smoke and use it to dodge attacks, and Billy had just been attacking more recklessly before and missing them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

I've said it before, but I'd seen that as a kid watching Universal and Godzilla movies. It may have been for younger people, but for me, it was like "oh, we're doing this again." Especially since they didn't maintain the character continuity of the older movies (which the Universal movies were super guilty of as well).

Ashamed to say I've actually never seen any of the Universal monster movies, but I did watch Godzilla movies when I was younger. Though, I never got that Godzilla was a shared universe since I only really watched a handful of them from when I was like 5 years old to 12 or 13 I think. I didn't much care about any kind of shared continuity in film then. I did like the concept in my TV shows though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite thing about this is that magic hurts Superman like everyone else and he still gets in that wizard's face. Not only does it add to the tragedy of Captain Marvel, since it's hosed up to give a kid that much responsibility, but it's a great Superman moment too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuoProQuid posted:

The Demons can freely turn into Smoke. It was basically just dodging him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

It definitely is and similar combinations of characters that would result in interesting contrasts or conflicts, as happened in BvS, could still be worthwhile. With that comment I was thinking in regard to WB letting Snyder go and shifting their model to episodic adventures in a common world, that the idea of a Big Teamup Event seems to be on the backburner for now, and I'm really okay with that.

Also Billy stealing the Batmobile and taking it to prom is my personal canon now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It just occurred to me that Shazam is an Avengers villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Detective No. 27 posted:

It just occurred to me that Shazam is an Avengers villain.

Elaborate?

Edit: Oh I see, it's because he plays Korath the Pursuer in the Marvel movies. Though I would put him more as a Guardians villain then Avengers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 11, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah. Not the Wizard. Shazam destroyed the bully's truck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Not the Wizard. Shazam destroyed the bully's truck.

Another reason why Captain Marvel should not be called Shazam, there is another character already called that. It's why I am glad they never call him Shazam in the movie.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I generally avoid superhero movies like the plague and was invited to this without having any idea it was a DC thing. And I loved it. Zach Levi looks like a deepfake cross between Jimmy Fallon and a young Dax Shepard though and that weirds me out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SolarFire2 posted:

Does it kind of mess with the DC continuity to have Gotham City, Metropolis and.. Plain old regular Philadelphia?

There is an actual plot point in JLA/Avengers where while Superman is in the Marvel Universe he notes that the East Coast is smaller and has less cities.

It is super dumb and hilarious.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Roth posted:

There is an actual plot point in JLA/Avengers where while Superman is in the Marvel Universe he notes that the East Coast is smaller and has less cities.

It is super dumb and hilarious.

Are other parts of the Marvel world bigger to fit Wakanda and Latveria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
The best part of the Snyder films was when Pa Kent says "you are my son" and Shazam is basically making that line into a whole movie, so I'm sure all the Snyder fans will love it. Just kidding

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!