Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

i really enjoyed cloud atlas and the hate has always mystified me.

I think that the yellowface is a big part of that hate. I really like the movie though, especially the corny parts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I think my biggest issue is that nothing they have made in ages seems interesting to me and I can't quite figure out why

Like Sense8, Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter, etc. etc.

There is something about them that comes off as dull despite that not being the case and I cannot put my finger on it

With the exception of speed racer, which is awesome, this is exactly how I feel. Jupiter Ascending was nice but it missed something that made me really engage with it like Guardians of the Galaxy does pull off. Same with Cloud Atlas, it was ok but a bit dull.

I misses some je ne sais quoi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I finally saw Speed Racer and it is utterly baffling. Like, it's certainly not a good movie, but it is fascinating in a way I can't quite describe. It almost feels like they wanted to cram even more into the movie, despite it being crazy-long and full of stuff. I hate the praxis of everything being a trilogy, and certainly Speed-loving-Racer doesn't need to be three goddamn films, but it's just so dense I kinda wish it was 3 films.

It's also an absolute feast to look at.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Like, it's certainly not a good movie

It's a great movie!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Easy Diff posted:

I finally saw Speed Racer and it is utterly baffling. Like, it's certainly not a good movie,

hard disagree

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Whats funny to me now that I think about it is that for all of the unnecessary backstory the matrix sequels added, they never addressed the one idea I would find most interesting.

How do they have it so that people live out their entire lives in a very specific epoch without noticing? How do they keep an entire society frozen in 1999 for generations?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats funny to me now that I think about it is that for all of the unnecessary backstory the matrix sequels added, they never addressed the one idea I would find most interesting.

How do they have it so that people live out their entire lives in a very specific epoch without noticing? How do they keep an entire society frozen in 1999 for generations?

How would someone who lives their entire life inside the Matrix be able to tell? From their perspective they were born in a certain time and all the previous "history" of what happened before they were born is all there for them to learn about just like it is for us in real life.

Like, what do we have to really prove that history actually took place once all the people who witnessed it are gone? Videos? History books? They have all that stuff in the Matrix too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Basebf555 posted:

How would someone who lives their entire life inside the Matrix be able to tell? From their perspective they were born in a certain time and all the previous "history" of what happened before they were born is all there for them to learn about just like it is for us in real life.

Like, what do we have to really prove that history actually took place once all the people who witnessed it are gone? Videos? History books? They have all that stuff in the Matrix too.

But what I mean is, a person is born in 1999 and dies in 1999 and they never go "weird how nothing ever changed my whole life"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But what I mean is, a person is born in 1999 and dies in 1999 and they never go "weird how nothing ever changed my whole life"

Some things change, mostly things stay the same, sounds a lot like reality to me. There have been billions of people who have lived and died during times like that. The technological explosion that took place during the past several generations is more of an outlier.

If you're just talking about the year 1999, I think it's fair to assume people living in the Matrix have an ongoing year count that changes at the beginning of each year just like we do.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

If you're just talking about the year 1999, I think it's fair to assume people living in the Matrix have an ongoing year count that changes at the beginning of each year just like we do.

One of the lines in the original Matrix is "For you, it is 1999, but in reality, its much closer to *some random year hundreds of years later*

The implication is that its been 1999 for generations in the Matrix

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the lines in the original Matrix is "For you, it is 1999, but in reality, its much closer to *some random year hundreds of years later*

The implication is that its been 1999 for generations in the Matrix

No reason to assume that. The year 1999 was probably chosen because that's when the movie was made but there's nothing to indicate that people aren't aware of the year changing each January as it would normally in the real world.

The Architect says that the Matrix has been reset several times(I forget the exact #), so the only part that's unknown is what year it gets reset to when that occurs. For all we know they start each iteration of the Matrix in 1975.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That doesnt really change the main point of they dont really explain how time works

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That doesnt really change the main point of they dont really explain how time works

Ok, so imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If time doesn't move forward as it normally would(outside of a complete reset, which we're told happens very rarely), then the machines would have to be erasing everyone's memory at regular intervals. Maybe that is the case, but there's no indication of that in the movies, as far as I remember.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I’d argue that The Matrix doesn’t represent a “true” 1999 so much a broad pastiche. You have hackers and a white collar corporate skyscraper, but clothing styles and uniforms seem somewhat timeless with a distinct 50’s vibe. Suicide doors on cars are still in. Television or cinema is almost a non-factor. Even Neo’w illicit wares are nondescript minidiscs. Nothing about the “reality” inside The Matrix makes sense. It feels almost frozen in a particular non period.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Speed Racer is junk

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I still need to see it. I'd say V for Vendetta is their weakest. It's the one where their sincerity comes across as naive.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

V for Vendetta definitely seems like a passion project for them in that I think they were really trying to provide commentary on circa-2005 America (in spite of the British setting) but they ended up taking a lot of the edge off of the original story by turning V into someone fighting for the vague idea of democracy instead of the out and out anarchist he is in the original.

It's an oddly restrained choice for them.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

V for Vendetta is kind of weird in that the Wachowskis produced it and wrote the script, but it was directed by James McTiegue. Although there is some debate if it was a Poltergeist Hooper/Spielberg deal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Keep in mind 2005-2006 was still well within random strangers approaching to ask why you don't have a US flag sticker on your car territory, I think if V for Vendetta was any less restrained it wouldn't have gotten made. Plus it went in enthusiastically on how Islamophobia is stupid, homophobia is stupid, and how the Catholic Church is a pedophile club so I can't fault it too much.

I do think it's their weakest film too though.

Jupiter Ascending is, bar none, the best 70s/early 80s anime movie ever made. I love it and as others have mentioned any time I get anyone to give a chance they have a blast. :3:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Basebf555 posted:

If time doesn't move forward as it normally would(outside of a complete reset, which we're told happens very rarely), then the machines would have to be erasing everyone's memory at regular intervals. Maybe that is the case, but there's no indication of that in the movies, as far as I remember.

I agree that it seems like it being 1999 in the first movie is meant to be seen as significant to Neo's journey and the audience's context, but not necessarily indicative of the fact that it's always 1999 in the Matrix. Time is wonky - we see very clearly that Neo experiences time skips in his perception; the setting is a blend of a bunch of otherwise disparate epochs of fashion, culture, tech, etc; Time itself can be manipulated or navigated differently by various actors (agents, the Zionists, etc) and the Matrix itself seems to have various glitches related to how time flows based on certain events (deja vu caused by forced code change, the wave of slowed reaction to hugely destructive events, etc). Maybe the machines smooth the edges off the time perception of everyone in the program and they just forget what year it is. Maybe temporal awareness is one of those things like taste that the machines can't really figure out and so therefore it's all bass ackwards but no one can put a finger on why things are weird. Maybe the machines just don't have the processing power to do temporal continuity for their mindfuck people farm and just re-run 1945-2000 over and over again. We don't really know because the Wachowskis don't seem very interested in the experiences of normal people in the Matrix beyond the first movie.

Which, in my opinion, is a pretty big misstep! As someone else said, so much of the significance of the first movie is that there's a spiritual feel to it, a sense that the Matrix is a hell (or heaven) manifested through technology yet more than the sum of it's blood and metal parts. We never see how your average person perceives any of the subsequent events, or what rationales they create to explain the vagaries of the Matrix, or even how they feel about this weird rear end clone army taking over every one. Neo is ostensibly fighting for humans both inside and outside the Matrix, but those inside are just kind of an afterthought. The sequels have more than enough packed into them, but I feel like they suffer on that point. Other than that, Reloaded is a perfectly decent movie that you would watch a good chunk of if it came on TV on a lazy afternoon, and Reloaded has some high points but is pretty badly overwrought. The Zion battle imagery is much more compelling than the various subplots running through it deserves, and I think the principals all do as good of a job with the material as they can.

The Wachowskis are very interesting filmmakers. I don't think I've ever walked away from something they've done without feeling something about it and generally being impressed at how much they obviously put into their stuff, however I've not seen Cloud Atlas (which I think was fortunate to come out before the current wave of extreme cultural scrutiny in media, because there's no way they could get away with MASS YELLOWFACE today). Everything they've done feels way ahead of its time - Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin especially. Sense8 was kind of a whiff for me; interesting premise, great cast, but maybe at times a little too bound up in getting you to invest in the cluster to actually tell the story well. If nothing else their body of work is insanely ambitious in a way that few others can match and I hope they eventually feel motivated to make more.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 11, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Wachowskis are very interesting filmmakers. I don't think I've ever walked away from something they've done without feeling something about it and generally being impressed at how much they obviously put into their stuff, however I've not seen Cloud Atlas (which I think was fortunate to come out before the current wave of extreme cultural scrutiny in media, because there's no way they could get away with MASS YELLOWFACE today).

They shouldn't get away with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alhazred posted:

It was pretty lovely, but their stated purpose of trying to show continuity and linkages by using all the same actors comes as close to a valid excuse as I've ever seen.

What do you think would've been the ideal solution to that particular problem?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think there's an argument to be made that it's problematic, but at the same time it's not like they just arbitrarily decided to cast white actors and put them in that makeup. They were trying to have each actor play vastly different roles across various time periods and cultures, it's not like the motivation there was to just avoid hiring Asian actors. Its kind of a unique situation, not to say that makes it automatically acceptable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The "yellow face" in Cloud Atlas is a more nuanced and more complicated problem than is sometimes given credit. The film quite directly explores the connection between racism and tribalism and capitalistic ideology. The major conflict in each segment of the story involves the human body being reduced to a source of either labor, capital, or food. This isn't the case of the Wachowski's accidentally (whoopsi-doodle!) doing a racism. They purposely exhibited actors playing outside their race to an anti-racist end.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 11, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Alhazred posted:

No disagreement here.

PT6A posted:

It was pretty lovely, but their stated purpose of trying to show continuity and linkages by using all the same actors comes as close to a valid excuse as I've ever seen.

What do you think would've been the ideal solution to that particular problem?

Cast Asian actors in the principal roles?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mat Cauthon posted:

They did. The principal actress in the Neo Seoul segment was Doona Bae, a Korean woman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

They could also have chosen to not set the story in an asian city.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, My main complaint about the Matrix sequels is that the first Matrix at least pretended to take place in the real world. That was actually one of the main appeals of the film ' What if...' as in what if this is what life actually is. The sequels throw all of that out the loving window by not showing any real people, setting the whole thing in some fictional MegaCity or whatever it was called, and even telling the main actors not to show emotion in the action scenes, removing any tension whatsoever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

They could also have chosen to not set the story in an asian city.

Not without completely changing the adaptation

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah, My main complaint about the Matrix sequels is that the first Matrix at least pretended to take place in the real world. That was actually one of the main appeals of the film ' What if...' as in what if this is what life actually is. The sequels throw all of that out the loving window by not showing any real people, setting the whole thing in some fictional MegaCity or whatever it was called, and even telling the main actors not to show emotion in the action scenes, removing any tension whatsoever.

It's the problem you have when Alice has gone through the Looking Glass, nobody's gonna care about if her nanny wonders where she is or whatever, it's mother loving Cheshire Cat Time 24/7! The mistake is when storytellers feel the need to explain how exactly Cheshire Cat relates to Alice, the Mad Hatter and possible the Scarecrow from Oz, because why not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Jupiter Ascending UHD got here today.

UV digital code: HTCXCW9GB7JW

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

My Jupiter Ascending UHD got here today.

UV digital code: HTCXCW9GB7JW

My girlfriend loves this movie. Thank you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not without completely changing the adaptation

Why is it so crucial to the plot to have it set in Korea?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

The "yellow face" in Cloud Atlas is a more nuanced and more complicated problem than is sometimes given credit. The film quite directly explores the connection between racism and tribalism and capitalistic ideology. The major conflict in each segment of the story involves the human body being reduced to a source of either labor, capital, or food. This isn't the case of the Wachowski's accidentally (whoopsi-doodle!) doing a racism. They purposely exhibited actors playing outside their race to an anti-racist end.

Yeah I've never bought into that argument against the film.

For some reason it didn't click with me at first, but one day I had the flu and took a few vicodin and watched the whole thing again and it struck me as "perfect" in a way that few other films ever have (Natural Born Killers and A Scanner Darkly would be two other examples)

Sense8 is also really really loving good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Alhazred posted:

Why is it so crucial to the plot to have it set in Korea?

It's not, but as other people have mentioned, Cloud Atlas is an INCREDIBLY faithful adaptation of the source material, for better or for worse. They tried to transfer it over from book to film, warts and all. It just turns out that some of those warts look waaaay worse in film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will always remember the matrix films but I most likely wont watch them again anytime soon. I just done watched them too much.

The video game they did was really good though. I donno it was on xbox? There was a level with giant ants. The game where you play the girl from matrix reloaded was awful though. That highway level just went on and on and nothing happened.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

Tenzarin posted:

I will always remember the matrix films but I most likely wont watch them again anytime soon. I just done watched them too much.

The video game they did was really good though. I donno it was on xbox? There was a level with giant ants. The game where you play the girl from matrix reloaded was awful though. That highway level just went on and on and nothing happened.

Path of Neo? that game was extremely legit iirc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://theoutline.com/post/7316/why-are-anime-adaptations-so-bad?utm_source=TW&zr=vp5reute&zd=1&zi=yzhfgwhz

quote:

Really, the task of a successful anime adaptation is to grasp what it feels like to watch anime, then translate that feeling using the tools available, rather than simply putting boy band Goku on a big screen. This is why the best anime adaptation is also the one that is most willing to seem — to be — childish, to wear its goofy heart on its goofy sleeve: the Wachowski sisters’ 2008 version of Speed Racer.

Everything about this movie screams racing. The animation styles clash, from the simple schoolbook doodles that track young Speed as he fantasizes about his racing future to the Windows screensaver tubes that make up the film’s version of hyperspace. There are countless splitscreens, talking heads slowly pushing across the frame, and editing that seems like it could be on a public access parody. There are dramatic speeches, flashbacks that exist as backgrounds, aggressive anti-capitalist messaging, and literal video game controllers that allow Speed to use his car’s extra powers. The racing sequences are commonly compared to Mario Kart, but no Mario Kart game ever included evil business meetings on trucks full of piranhas. None of this is happening because it’s been focus-grouped or because it needs to hit an audience quadrant. It’s because it loving rules.

Admittedly, it is also a lot. Speed Racer’s “cult” popularity has grown over the years, to the point where calling it an unsung classic feels like more of a mainstream opinion than the original critical consensus that it was a mess. The problem, I think, is that people just didn’t realize what kind of mess it was. A friend of mine has posited a theory I think about constantly: that work produced by the Wachowski sisters does not, in fact, exist on a traditional aesthetic scale running from “good” to “bad,” but instead from “not very Wachowski” to “very Wachowski.” In Speed Racer, moments that are very Wachowski — the aforementioned piranha truck, Roger Allam’s performance as evil executive E.P. Royalton, the final race backed with dramatic narration about how Speed doesn’t drive, he’s driven — converge to, at the same time, become moments that are very anime.

I know I’m using a lot of italics to describe Speed Racer, but the whole movie takes place in italics — that’s the point. It’s also a reasonably accurate description of Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel, which is, if not a masterful version of what live action manga or anime should look like, then at least a pretty good attempt. There are lots of things to dislike about that movie, but Rodriguez and James Cameron certainly went for it as hard as they possibly could. If you’re looking for a metaphor to guide future Westerners attempting to adapt or work within the language of anime, you could do worse than Alita literally taking her heart out of her body to offer it to her bewildered, unworthy boyfriend Hugo. The joy, artistic wonder, and rich texture of anime is, by now, functionally a heart being offered to studios hungry for something new to adapt — if they’re willing to go all the way.

Apparently Speed Racer has a good mainstream consensus now? I would like to point out that I've been stanning Speed Racer since day one. I saw it in theaters four times, the same amount of times I saw TDK in theaters at the height of my Batman craze. I can totally understand how some posters in the Alita thread say they saw it a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I feel like I am the only person who genuinely likes the Matrix sequels, and finds them satisfying and lots of fun to watch. Reloaded is such a blast, especially once they meet the Merovingian and things really get moving, and Revolutions felt of a piece with the other epic conclusions to franchises coming out at around the same time and was a fine conclusion.

The sequels have endeared me to anything the Wachowski's have made since then, and I really haven't hated anything they've done, although Jupiter Ascending comes close just because it's kind of a mess. (Although a movie about Channing Tatum as a dog man who has to save Mila Kunis who was chosen by a bunch bees to be the queen of the universe is rad and a film I am glad I saw at least once. )

I am sad to hear they probably won't be making anything else major in the future because I always make time for their stuff.

I thought this explained why the Matrix sequels are good, or at least how they don't deserve the bad reputation they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyCyyFRpfE