Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wtf is wrong with people, speed racer was (admittedly, surprisingly) great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speed Racer is the movie that Alita Battle Angel wishes it was

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do they have it so that people live out their entire lives in a very specific epoch without noticing? How do they keep an entire society frozen in 1999 for generations?
It's usually a bad idea to give a material explanation for something that's thematic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Wtf is wrong with people, speed racer was (admittedly, surprisingly) great.

The racing sequences lack tension, a real problem in a Speed Racer movie. Also, the casting is just dreadful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's usually a bad idea to give a material explanation for something that's thematic.

yeah but that didn't stop them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The United States posted:

Speed Racer is the movie that Alita Battle Angel wishes it was

Nah they're about equal and for basically the same reasons, imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jfc i just rewatched the Matrix on the big screen and it is still amazing and really is enhanced by the trans theme. It's just drat near a perfect film, it has like 4 layers that all work together

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is there any good biographical articles on the Wachowskis and their transition? I find it interesting that they transitioned almost a decade apart from each other and am kinda interested in how their own personal gender identity growth was influenced by each other

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there any good biographical articles on the Wachowskis and their transition? I find it interesting that they transitioned almost a decade apart from each other and am kinda interested in how their own personal gender identity growth was influenced by each other

https://people.com/movies/lilly-lana-wachowski-how-transgender-siblings-supported-each-other/

You can also find various interviews with them on the subject on YouTube. They haven't really been shy.

You'll just have to wade through... all of the bullshit to get to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

got any sevens posted:

Jfc i just rewatched the Matrix on the big screen and it is still amazing and really is enhanced by the trans theme. It's just drat near a perfect film, it has like 4 layers that all work together
The X-Files is the quintessential 90s show, and The Matrix is the quintessential 90s film.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

The X-Files is the quintessential 90s show, and The Matrix is the quintessential 90s film.

But nobody talks about X-Files anymore. I noticed this when I actually got into the series about ten years ago. It was one of the biggest TV hits of all time but come late 2000s, I couldn't find anybody to discuss it with. :(

Made me sad.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

NikkolasKing posted:

But nobody talks about X-Files anymore. I noticed this when I actually got into the series about ten years ago. It was one of the biggest TV hits of all time but come late 2000s, I couldn't find anybody to discuss it with. :(

Made me sad.

Most of the X-Files conspiracy narrative seems downright quaint by today's standards. The monster of the week eps still whip, though.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

I finally saw Speed Racer and it is utterly baffling. Like, it's certainly not a good movie, but it is fascinating in a way I can't quite describe. It almost feels like they wanted to cram even more into the movie, despite it being crazy-long and full of stuff. I hate the praxis of everything being a trilogy, and certainly Speed-loving-Racer doesn't need to be three goddamn films, but it's just so dense I kinda wish it was 3 films.

It's also an absolute feast to look at.

I recall hearing from one of the VFX artists that they did a bunch MORE work on the races, that was cut. The other drivers cars were fantastically detailed, including one covered in gems, which is barely seen in the final movie (made the trailer, I think?).

Did any of that make it out on bonus features?

I need to give Jupiter Ascending another try, but it just wan't my slice of cheese.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

As someone who really enjoyed the dirty, noir atmosphere of the Matrix as portrayed in the first movie, I consider Dark City to be the second best Matrix movie :colbert: . That atmosphere was something that was really missing from the sequels.

I mean, just look at this shot:

That's what they needed more of in the sequels, not weightless drawn out fights IMO.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Failson posted:

I need to give Jupiter Ascending another try, but it just wan't my slice of cheese.
I feel like Jupiter Ascending was out to insult my intelligence constantly.

Some of the press about that movie talked it up as Sci-Fi for Girls...which made it feel downright sexist when I watched it. It's a childish Cinderella premise, in space, and it's weighed down at every corner with heaps of expository dialogue as if its audience has never seen or read science fiction, not even a Star War. It's perhaps the most explainy loving blockbuster movie I've ever seen, released in the year where the hands-down best genre film was Mad Max: Fury Road, which is ingenious in the way it presents a rich setting with barely any exposition.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Timespy posted:

As someone who really enjoyed the dirty, noir atmosphere of the Matrix as portrayed in the first movie, I consider Dark City to be the second best Matrix movie :colbert: . That atmosphere was something that was really missing from the sequels.

I mean, just look at this shot:

That's what they needed more of in the sequels, not weightless drawn out fights IMO.

The Matrix city at night scenes were literally shot on the old sets from Dark City

Like, thats a Dark City set the Wachowskis borrowed

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Matrix city at night scenes were literally shot on the old sets from Dark City

Like, thats a Dark City set the Wachowskis borrowed

Oh, that's pretty cool! I knew they they reused the rooftop set, as it was pretty obvious from watching the two movies, but had no idea that the movies shared more than that one set.
Anyways, they should've done that more, it gave the Matrix city character.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

Halloween Jack posted:

I just wanted to chime in and say that The Matrix came out in 1999, the real quintessential 90s film is Hackers.
But I do appreciate me some Wachowskis.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be honest the peak 90s movie is Reality Bites.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

porfiria posted:

Oh, c'mon, the decade wasn't that bad.

::remembers Fukuyama::

Never mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

porfiria posted:

Wrong it's SFW or possibly Empire Records

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Wrong it's SFW or possibly Empire Records

What about Joe's Apartment

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

What about Joe's Apartment

Hell yes
I wonder if the wachowskis saw that

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What was robot society like? What were they doing to necessitate keeping humans alive for hundreds of years as batteries?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

What was robot society like? What were they doing to necessitate keeping humans alive for hundreds of years as batteries?

I like the fan theory that the battery explanation was bullshit - the robots were simply inclined to look after the human population after the humans hosed up the Earth. Maybe because of some left-over programming from when they still served humans. Otherwise why bother with the simulation at all?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timespy posted:

I like the fan theory that the battery explanation was bullshit - the robots were simply inclined to look after the human population after the humans hosed up the Earth. Maybe because of some left-over programming from when they still served humans. Otherwise why bother with the simulation at all?

I dunno, the Architect turned out to be completely bluffing when he said that the machines would crash the Matrix and kill everyone in it if Neo didn't agree to return to the Source. Neo called him on it, he said it was bullshit, but the Architect claimed there were "levels of survival" they were willing to accept. But it was bullshit, Neo refused to play ball and the machines did not follow through with that threat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought the original concept was that they're using human brains as a server farm to run the Matrix itself, but that this was deemed to complicated for the average moviegoer and dumped in favour of the simplistic "body heat battery" explanation.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

porfiria posted:

Clueless is peak 90s

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

sponges posted:

Clueless is peak 90s

Hackers would like a word here about peak 90s.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Virtuosity was the Matrix before the Matrix. It roughly even follows the same plot.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Hackers would like a word here about peak 90s.

No, he's right, Clueless is peak 90s. That and the Leave It To Beaver movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXVBHwFJy8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And Blade

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That said I appreciate how much Blade is like an ur-2000s movie too like The Matrix.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

Virtuosity was the Matrix before the Matrix. It roughly even follows the same plot.

Man I love Virtuosity. Russel Crowe's best work.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Man I love Virtuosity. Russel Crowe's best work.

"How's the wife and kid? Still dead, huh?"

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Matrix 4 is in the works with Wachowskis involvement(edit: apparently this is still rumored and not confirmed): https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wachowskis-fourth-matrix-movie_n_5cd59785e4b0705e47db2f8f

I’m hoping the John Wick series director goes from Matrix stuntman to helming this sequel.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 12, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I could see this happening and I would saddly see this movie.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Have a look at your local cinema listings for July 12 onwards. It’s the 20th anniversary of The Matrix and a load of the ones here in the UK will be showing it on the big screen. As someone who only saw the original on VHS this is super exciting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did any of you catch Patrick (H)'s bit on rewriting the Matrix sequels? I thought it was a really great video from someone who, like many of us in this thread, truly appreciates Reloaded and Revolutions but finds them to be deeply flawed. Totally love his idea of making the Merovingian the main antagonist of Reloaded and having Neo & Co. wander around a big spooky castle. I always thought the Merovingian was one of the biggest missed opportunities in the sequels for as much of a huge deal he is both thematically and in terms of moving the actual plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhhy0yGAX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always thought they really needed to do more with the implication that the Merovingian was a previous iteration of The One