Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Wachowskis are amazing pop filmmakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to admit I have a fondness for the Wachowskis as creators more than I have fondness for their creations.

I have pretty much hated nearly every movie they have made but it certainly wasn't for a lack of ambition. They swing real hard for the fences every time.

The Wachowskis are interesting to me because they’re one of the few filmmakers I can think of that has an uncompromised filmography. There’s nothing they made to get paid, nothing limited by the studio. They just kind of do whatever they want. Sometimes it’s serious, sometimes it’s silly. They can play to the rafters, and then bring things down to quiet character moments. It’s almost hard to define what makes a Wachowski film beyond “boldly ambitious,” which is a hell of a director trademark.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I actually respect the sequels for just how weird and esoteric they get. Like, you create arguably the biggest cultural touchstone since, what, Jurassic Park? Star Wars? And you are given free reign to do whatever you want. It would have been so easy for them to stick in the wheelhouse of the first film and just repeat it with a new coat of paint. Instead you get like, vampires and orgasm cakes and Cornel loving West. It feels like an authentic “oh poo poo we may not get this chance again, let’s just go for it” deal.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No I'm serious I think his brain just is a router

I legit believe this is a reasonable explanation, because it is very on-point with the kind of comic book logic the sequels in particular subscribe to. A major aspect of the Wachowski’s brand of original storytelling is “take something externally silly and justify it with sincerity.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Loved The Matrix and Sense8. I don't know if we'll ever get another show that touches on sexuality and gender expression/fluidity with such jubilance again.

I can only speak from personal experience, but Sense8 was a rare experience of me feeling like I was truly being "seen" in media.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

It wasn't even really that long after I saw the movie the first time that I realized how cheap and empty the scene of the lobby exploding was.

I love The Matrix, but the paneling lifting up when Trinity does the wallrun in the lobby drives me nuts.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Jupiter Ascending is another example of the Wachowki's guileless approach to storytelling. Like I remember people bitching about the whole "bees can sense royalty" bit, but like, the Wachowski's aren't stupid. That's exactly the kind of wild "we haven't quite figured out the science of things" nonsense you'd see in golden age space pulps. The movie asks you to just kind of go with things a lot of the time, and I don't think it's out of a place of necessarily poor writing, so much as a style of writing that just says, hey isn't this more fun? No part of that movie tries to present itself as hard sci-fi, and it feels like a lot of the negative reception to it was from an audience that wasn't prepared to engage with it otherwise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats funny to me now that I think about it is that for all of the unnecessary backstory the matrix sequels added, they never addressed the one idea I would find most interesting.

How do they have it so that people live out their entire lives in a very specific epoch without noticing? How do they keep an entire society frozen in 1999 for generations?

I’d argue that The Matrix doesn’t represent a “true” 1999 so much a broad pastiche. You have hackers and a white collar corporate skyscraper, but clothing styles and uniforms seem somewhat timeless with a distinct 50’s vibe. Suicide doors on cars are still in. Television or cinema is almost a non-factor. Even Neo’w illicit wares are nondescript minidiscs. Nothing about the “reality” inside The Matrix makes sense. It feels almost frozen in a particular non period.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

V for Vendetta is kind of weird in that the Wachowskis produced it and wrote the script, but it was directed by James McTiegue. Although there is some debate if it was a Poltergeist Hooper/Spielberg deal.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there any good biographical articles on the Wachowskis and their transition? I find it interesting that they transitioned almost a decade apart from each other and am kinda interested in how their own personal gender identity growth was influenced by each other

https://people.com/movies/lilly-lana-wachowski-how-transgender-siblings-supported-each-other/

You can also find various interviews with them on the subject on YouTube. They haven't really been shy.

You'll just have to wade through... all of the bullshit to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

But nobody talks about X-Files anymore. I noticed this when I actually got into the series about ten years ago. It was one of the biggest TV hits of all time but come late 2000s, I couldn't find anybody to discuss it with. :(

Made me sad.

Most of the X-Files conspiracy narrative seems downright quaint by today's standards. The monster of the week eps still whip, though.