Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to admit I have a fondness for the Wachowskis as creators more than I have fondness for their creations.

I have pretty much hated nearly every movie they have made but it certainly wasn't for a lack of ambition. They swing real hard for the fences every time.

Even The Matrix?

I kind of have no use for anything else they made, but I feel like it really does hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What stands out to me about the Matrix sequels is how disconnected they feel from the first film.

That film is surprisingly gritty and tactile and visceral. People get dirty, the violence veers into being uncomfortable, there's outright body horror. Looking at it, you can practically smell the smells that Agent Smith is complaining about.

The very next movie we've got Neo fighting 1,000 clones of Agent Smith where nobody feels anything and everybody is just flopping around. Not just because there's more CGI, but the scenes with actual human actors & stuntmen are more inert too. The sequels are sterile and weightless on a fundamental level that goes way beyond "They used lots of early 2000s CGI" or whatever.

They do much less while using much more of everything - more runtime, more money, more effects. They're not exactly cash-in sequels, because they're still way too weird to be generic Hollywood blockbusters, but they come across more like fanfic writ INCREDIBLY large than than a natural continuation by the original auteurs.

Mad Max: Fury Road is like the spiritual antithesis of the Matrix sequels.