Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The music in this show is always so on point, it kinda figures that they'd actually incorporate some sort of musical motif as a...device?...in the plot at some point.

Speaking of which, apparently Aubrey Joseph (who plays Ty) did a song for the show earlier this season. Who knew!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQKzML70Vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that Marc Payne track is dope. I saw some of his poo poo on soundcloud earlier this year, i thought he was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flaJob9tCGQ

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's pretty interesting to me that you have a villain in New Orleans that feeds on despair and there's not really any link to Katrina. Yeah, its been covered in a lot of media and the human trafficking storyline is more topical I guess but still.

This is a pretty weird show, and its quite esoteric for something that's being shown on a channel that's already probably not getting a lot of eyeballs. I gotta give them credit for going this direction though, the effects are practical but effective and the scripting is pretty tight for the most part. The occasional vocal track can dominate a scene a bit too much but the music has really improved a lot this season as well.

I don't think the show is great, but it's being ambitious in ways that are making it a lot more enjoyable than some of the other superhero shows. I'm looking forward to seeing how this ends, as it feels like they're setting up for a bigger status quo. I don't know if this will get a renewal so hopefully the ending is decent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It really goes to show how much Andre's power can mindfuck people when Lia went from a doctor (even if she didn't originally want to be one) to a human trafficker. And of course, he directly took control of all of his prior victims (including Tandy's mom - it could be he gave her a push over the edge last episode so she wouldn't cause trouble by looking for Tandy). They managed to humanize a character Tandy & the audience were previously primed to despise without outright saying that automatically discounted the terrible things she did. Hell, they even went some way to humanize Andre.

Pleasantly surprised to see a Luke Cage reference. Kinda sucks we might never see a crossover there. But excited to see how this series ends. Fingers crossed we get a renewal. I will also accept Cloak & Dagger showing up in MCU movies as a followup - we have characters moving from movies to TV with the Disney Plus series coming up, why not have it head the other way?

Edit: and the finale trailer looks sweet. Although it looks like there was one shut where the greenscreening wasn't finished. Looks like they're maybe revisiting the alternate realities Tandy got put through in B-Sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-P1UswAkY

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 25, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm one episode back but I'm still hootin and hollerin about DJ Mayhem

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Also, I guess the Loa don't have high standards. "Steals hope, leaves empty husks, wants to murder an entire town? Come on in!"
I thought the Loa were supposed to represent something or embody something. What does Andre embody? Entropy?

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
This season has been pretty great. I'm hoping the finale sticks the landing as that would be my only complaint about the first season.

Aleph Null posted:

Also, I guess the Loa don't have high standards. "Steals hope, leaves empty husks, wants to murder an entire town? Come on in!"

The official C&D Twitter released a sneak peak clip for this episode where Evita slightly addresses this if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGyNjRDjSRA

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 30, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's like a mini snap, and I want an episode about those insect robbers

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
The funny thing is this is actually Thanos' snap happening and the trumpet they hear is actually an ice cream truck with a really loud speaker on top...

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
God they've done such a good job making a rad looking cloak...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

LIGHT SWORD :kingsley:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

She done Zorro'd his rear end...

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Did I miss where they were actually going or did they keep it vague on purpose?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It was somewhere with a beach, but they didn't say specifically

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm not sure I caught all of the meanings behind all of the feelings in this episode but wow that felt really satisfying!

That combo stab at the end :buddy:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GLOSS posted:

Did I miss where they were actually going or did they keep it vague on purpose?

If I had to guess, I'd say New York, since that's Marvel Central and where Cloak & Dagger operate out of in the comics (plus Brigid has her connections via Misty there, after all - presumably the favour Tandy wanted was for info on similar crimes to go after). Hopefully nobody injects them with radioactive heroin when they get there :ohdear:.

An interesting twist might be LA, since there's where the Runaways are (and they did crossover in the comics) and I seem to recall that a couple of Pride's victims wound up dead on a beach.

Go drat that episode was awesome. Especially Tandy's teleporting out of Cloak for the kill. And Ty & Tandy loving up each other's demons (before giving their demons an asskicking - I especially dug Tandy going Zorro - nice callback to the movie night). Mayhem kicking rear end in the church (and Evita, too). It was just all so great!

And they came back to Waffles vs. Pancakes at the end. :kimchi:

I demand a new series!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Yvonmukluk posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say New York, since that's Marvel Central and where Cloak & Dagger operate out of in the comics (plus Brigid has her connections via Misty there, after all - presumably the favour Tandy wanted was for info on similar crimes to go after). Hopefully nobody injects them with radioactive heroin when they get there :ohdear:.

An interesting twist might be LA, since there's where the Runaways are (and they did crossover in the comics) and I seem to recall that a couple of Pride's victims wound up dead on a beach.

Go drat that episode was awesome. Especially Tandy's teleporting out of Cloak for the kill. And Ty & Tandy loving up each other's demons (before giving their demons an asskicking - I especially dug Tandy going Zorro - nice callback to the movie night). Mayhem kicking rear end in the church (and Evita, too). It was just all so great!

And they came back to Waffles vs. Pancakes at the end. :kimchi:

I demand a new series!

I agree with all of this, so I will demand (if someone please) a gif of the combo stab.

EDIT: the power was inside me all along!
https://twitter.com/CloakAndDagger/status/1134261229508288512

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 31, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Something else I remembered: didn't Agent Carter take place in LA and have some stuff to do with the Darkforce? If they're headed there they could address that, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
My first thought of where they were going is NY because that's where the comics usually have them, that's where Brigid was from, and I think that's where Tandy went to school in her dream. Also the Luke Cage mention in the previous episode.

A Runaways crossover would be interesting but Runaways has really been quite bland and this series really shows why. The awful OC writers decided to scoop a giant handful of adult drama and teen hookup poo poo into the show while this series has Tandy and Ty being shown as much more adult and grown up despite their age and isn't afraid to place the drama purely on them. If this was written by the Runaways writers we'd have 60% of each episode devoted to their parents running around trying to manipulate poo poo and it would have sucked.

Good finale, hopefully not a series finale. I hope Marvel can get past their previous TV bias and decide to bring in some TV character into the MCU proper. I don't necessarily want a movie that includes a Tandy and Ty cameo but tossing them into one of these upcoming Disney+ shows would be cool. Same goes for the Netflix crew but I feel like Tandy and Ty are a dynamic I'd rather see interact with the greater MCU than someone like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Something else I remembered: didn't Agent Carter take place in LA and have some stuff to do with the Darkforce? If they're headed there they could address that, too.

Agents of Shield did a few episodes with it as well.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

I agree with all of this, so I will demand (if someone please) a gif of the combo stab.

EDIT: the power was inside me all along!
https://twitter.com/CloakAndDagger/status/1134261229508288512

This gif needs to be in the OP of next season's thread, along with one of Ty's teleport punch from episode 8 & Ty and Tandy holding hands on the bus. :colbert:

Edit: also, the showrunner's definitely dropped a pretty definitive hint of where they're going next:
https://twitter.com/JoePokaski/status/1134293569626181633

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 31, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

I thought the Loa were supposed to represent something or embody something. What does Andre embody? Entropy?

The Loa have no concept of human mortality.

That being said, AFAIK they do have a sense of obligation to the people that show them proper respect, so that's probably what's going to get Andre in trouble.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They did explicitly say that previously only worthy mortals got to become Loa, but then again we also saw that the Loa dimension got hosed up when Ty & Tandy showed up this episode, and I'm not sure that it's actually all on Andre - seemed like he just wanted his audience in the club. Could be that something else has also been stirring poo poo up and Andre was a symptom of it and not necessarily the cause. Perhaps that's going to be explored in season 3 - since apparently there was a malevolent force trying to break out of the Darkforce back in Agent Carter, and that was in LA.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: also, the showrunner's definitely dropped a pretty definitive hint of where they're going next:
https://twitter.com/JoePokaski/status/1134293569626181633

Isn't 11pm (when that was tweeted) just when the show would be airing on the West Coast?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That was a loving fantastic finale. Like, start to finish, I can find no flaw with it. Watching Andre D'spayre get the poo poo get kicked out of him, from the moment Tandy actually knocked his horn out of his hand to his final fate, was immensely satisfying.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ShakeZula posted:

Isn't 11pm (when that was tweeted) just when the show would be airing on the West Coast?

D'oh!

Anyhow, found another gif for the next threads' OP!

https://twitter.com/CloakAndDagger/status/1134263251771043840

That little hand-squeeze :3:

I kind of liked the subversion where you figured if Tyrone was going to show up in the scene he'd port into the empty seat, but he just gets on the bus like everyone else.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think this show is too woke: pseudo-progressive villains taking advantage of women in distress?

No one's going to see that as a knock on male allies in the #metoo craze.

Still a good show and I hope we get a third season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, you did. 500 points to Gryffindor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think I got confused or distracted at the start; what was up with the robbery that someone was pulling off with a mask? Was that the lady who was working with Andre? What was going on there?

Also I'd love to see it cross over with the other ostensibly MCU TV shows; normally I'd think "haha, even the shows barely acknowledge each other" but aside from the Luke Cage nod, the showrunner seems to be really into the idea of crossovers and I think they even mentioned broaching the possibility with Josh Schwartz.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Argue posted:

I think I got confused or distracted at the start; what was up with the robbery that someone was pulling off with a mask? Was that the lady who was working with Andre? What was going on there?

Also I'd love to see it cross over with the other ostensibly MCU TV shows; normally I'd think "haha, even the shows barely acknowledge each other" but aside from the Luke Cage nod, the showrunner seems to be really into the idea of crossovers and I think they even mentioned broaching the possibility with Josh Schwartz.

I think that was just a cold open showing a mundane bank job - the big reveal was when the getaway driver & cop got pulled into Andre's club, showing how his powers had grown.

I think the most likely crossover they're going to is Runaways.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked how when those three cops found Connors’ body in the shooting range, the one in back was kinda into it.

EDIT: Also, this is the year for season finales featuring wistful covers of “Take On Me”, I guess.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 3, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Phylodox posted:

I liked how when those three cops found Connors’ body in the shooting range, the one in back was kinda into it.

EDIT: Also, this is the year for season finales featuring wistful covers of “Take On Me”, I guess.
In the behind-the-scenes video for the finale they said they did it intentionally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Iv2kQBVDA
Also they took time out to point out Lia's actress is actually a big advocate of women's rights, which presumably is so people don't harass her online.

There's some interesting stuff in there, even if I'm not super into the format.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Did anybody get a chance to read the letter to Father Delgado or transcribe it somewhere?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Actually, a better question: What was Delgado doing with Andre's "most painful memory" record? Did Tandy and Ty pluck it out of Andre's head and send it to him as a gift or something?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

Actually, a better question: What was Delgado doing with Andre's "most painful memory" record? Did Tandy and Ty pluck it out of Andre's head and send it to him as a gift or something?

I figured that was a kind of “I’ll get you next time, Gadget!” stinger; that they weren’t able to completely destroy Deschaine, he’s still out there in some form or another, creeping around the periphery until he can make a comeback.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

An interview with the showrunner dropped yesterday that has some interesting titbits on where they might be going next.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They did it! They are making this happen! :getin:

https://twitter.com/marvelsrunaways/status/1156942663301529600

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I honestly don't know how i feel about that, one show is really loving good, and the other is Runaways.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rocksicles posted:

I honestly don't know how i feel about that, one show is really loving good, and the other is Runaways.

They have different tones, but I like both of them.
I wonder how the grounded, realness of Cloak and Dagger will play with the comic book danger of Runaways.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Runaways season 2 was like Luke Cage Season 1 in that the first half was phenomenal and the second half was merely okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean, this does hopefully mean that season 3 of Cloak & Dagger is still coming, so that bodes well.