Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Annyeonghaseyo! The original Korean cooking thread has fallen into the archives and it's about time for a new one. I am going to just steal the OP from it with a few edits because I think it was pretty good and Korean food is the same as it was in the depths of time known as 2013.

Korean Ingredients

One good thing about Korean food is, like Japanese, your pantry staples are pretty much all dried or fermented. They'll keep for ages, and if you don't have anywhere local to buy them you can buy online without worrying about them spoiling in shipment.

Soy sauce. Ganjang (간장) is in all sorts of things, much like other Asian cuisines. In the old thread I was hoping for an effortpost about the different types but it never came. :argh: I still don't know much about the different varieties of Korean soy sauce. Personally, I don't bother to hunt it down since I don't find it necessary--I use my trusty Yamasa in Korean food as well and it works fine.
Substitutions: Chinese light soy sauce or standard Japanese soy sauce. Do not use anything like Chinese dark soy or usukuchi.

Effortpost!

FelicityGS posted:

Here's a shallow dive on

The Three Main Types of Soy in a Korean Kitchen

There are one billion soy sauces available in Korea, which you'd know if you've ever visited a Korean market and looked at the soy sauce aisle.

Exhibit A: A still I blatantly took from a new story

We are going to talk about the big three varieties that exist--everything else is niche and not typical to most homes. Most homes will have at least two of these three to use.

Soup Soy Sauce/국간장
aka: Joseon soy sauce/조선간장, house soy sauce/집간장

A proper soup soy sauce will be made from a lump of fermented paste (meju/메주) that only used soy beans. It has a much lighter color and tastes a bit more savory. It's the saltiest of all three of the main soy sauces.

In the past, this was the only soy sauce that Korea really used--that's why it's got the alternate names of Joseon soy sauce and house soy sauce. As such, you can actually use this as your only soy if you want, just make sure to adjust down how much soy you use and taste test religiously.

Due to the light color and salinity, it is most often used in soups (jjigae, guk, tang/찌개, 국, 탕) since it doesn't alter the final color much. It also is also commonly used in traditional namul/나물 recipes.

GRAND FROMAGE EDIT: This sounds very much like it's Korean usukuchi, so try that as a substitute.

Brewed Soy Sauce/Yangjo soy sauce/양조간장

Other ingredients can start to show up here. Soy, defatted soy, or flour can all be used to make the base meju; they will be allowed to age and ferment naturally. You can find yangjo soy sauces that were made only with soy or defatted soy; there's debate on which is best, but that's way above my Korean paygrade to dive into the details.

It sits in the middle on the salinity scale, usually.

The special thing about this is that natural fermentation process--it takes much longer to make this compared to the other two. That longer fermentation gives it a much more complex flavour than the other too, and supposedly a sweet scent (my nose isn't that great).

Because those special qualities break down with heat, this is often preferred for dipping sauces, any banchan with no heat or cooking, hui (회/raw fish), and other applications you can think of that don't have heat.

Thick soy sauce/Jin soy sauce/진간장

This is the quicket soy sauce to make, and probably the most common base soy sauce. This is the one similar to your typical staple Japanese soy sauce you probably already have in your kitchen. Since it's made very quickly, with a variety of ingredients, it's the one that gets the most concern on the Korean cooking blogs I follow for being tampered with, and on slow new days this sort of investigation of soy sauces for tampering usually runs.

There's nothing very special about this one. Use it for anything where you're going to be adding a lot of heat, replace it with your Kikkoman if you want, it really won't matter. This one has the least salinity of all the three main staples.

Brands
The two big agreed-on-as-trustworthy brands among Korean cooking (from small no sponsered bloggers up to random public television cooking shows on EBS) are Sempo/샘표 and Chungjungone/청정원*. I think I once saw some English blogger say to never use Chungjungone, but honestly, they've done well when there are random quality control tests by investigators, and I like their jin soy sauce more than I like Sempo's. (I do like Sempo's soup soy and yangjo better though)

You can almost definitely ignore yangjo soy sauce if you want, but I really do recommend a bottle of soup soy sauce if you plan to cook any Korean soups extensively--it really does make a difference to the appearance and taste, and when I finally started using it, I kicked myself for waiting so long.

*this is how they romanize their name, because Koreans give zero fucks about any of the various romanization systems.

Vinegar (rice/apple). Sikcho (식초) is necessary for lots of sauces and dipping. The standard types of vinegar here are rice vinegar and apple vinegar, there are other varieties but these are the two you need. Korean varieties of vinegar are sometimes sweetened, but not as often as other things.
Substitutions: It's rice/apple vinegar, there's nothing special about the Korean varieties. Any kind you have will be okay. I typically use Korean apple vinegar and Japanese rice vinegar.

Rice wine. Cheongju (청주) is used in sauces mainly, the same way it is in other cuisines. It's not really for drinking ever, unlike some of the other varieties. I've never been served it or seen it available. The Korean stuff I've tried has been sweetened, so I stopped using it, I just use Shaoxing since I have it around for Chinese cooking anyway.
Substitutions: Sake or Shaoxing. Shaoxing is closer to cheongju but either works.

Doenjang (된장) is fermented soybean paste. It's pretty salty and sometimes has some soybeans hanging out in it whole, not totally ground up. It appears in a variety of sauces and soups, and sometimes even shows up by itself as a paste for grilled meats.
Substitutions: Doenjang and miso are very similar. You'll want an akamiso for a substitute, shiromiso is too light. Doenjang is more pungent than miso in general.

Gochujang (고추장) is chili paste, and I'd say it's the star ingredient of Korean cuisine. It shows up in loving everything (including many places it really shouldn't). It's made from chilies, soybeans, salt, rice, all fermented together. It's often sweetened a bit as well. Gochujang is used by itself and often mixed with other things in a huge variety of sauces.
Substitutions: There really is no substitute for gochujang, you need to find it if you want to cook Korean food extensively. Last thread I recommended doubanjiang as a sub, but now that I have more douban experience it really isn't similar at all. You can find gochujang online if it's not in a store near you.

Ssamjang (쌈장) is a combination of doenjang, gochujang, and often some other poo poo which is used as a condiment. Typically it's eaten with barbecue, ssam is the name for what you have when you fill a leaf with barbecue and such and wrap it all up, so the name meants it's sauce for that. You can make this at home by mixing things, I just buy it since I can score a half kilo tub for like 50 cents on sale.
Substitutions: None.

Gochugaru (고추가루) is dried hot pepper powder. This is used to spice up things and making kimchi.
Substitutions: I guess you could use any ground up dried hot red peppers but gochugaru is made from a specific species, so I'd find it. For general spicing up of sauces and such sriracha works fairly well with Korean flavors. But again, this is easily found online.

Sesame oil. Chamgireum (참기름) is... oil. Made from sesame seeds. This shouldn't be difficult to find. There are refined ones that are used more for cooking and strong ones for finishing, get the strong finishing kind. There's no difference between the Korean variety and the ones you find in China and Japan.

Kimchi (김치) is kimchi. I'm mentioning it here because it's used as an ingredient in a lot of stuff, as well as obviously being a food in its own right. Kimchi will get its own post.

Dashima (다시마) is dried kelp, used in making seafood stock called dashi (Korean version uses dried anchovies instead of bonito, similar to the Japanese niboshi dashi) as well as eaten. Good dashima should have white powder on it, don't wash it off! That's pure MSG and it's the point of using this.
Substitute: Dashima is just the Korean name for kombu, it's the same thing. Get Korean or Japanese, whatever's convenient.

Saeujeot (새우젓) are tiny preserved shrimps. They're used in sauces and making kimchi. Little umami and shrimp flavor bombs, and they help get the bacteria going in the kimchi I believe.
Substitute: You could use shrimp pastes from other Asian cuisines. Generally everything I've seen with saeujeot, you could just leave them out if you don't have any and it'd be okay.

Fish sauce. Aegjeot (액젓) is the juice of fermented anchovies and such. It's salty and umami and awesome in all kinds of things, you're probably aware of it.
Substitute: Any fish sauce is fine, I've never actually used Korean. Whatever you have works.

Panko. Bbanggaru (빵가루) is a form of bread crumb from Japan used to bread various fried things. It makes a special kind of crunchiness that regular bread crumbs don't.
Substitute: Bbanggaru is literally just panko. No need to search out a Korean variety specifically.

Gim (김) is a sheet of dried algae, different than the kelp from before. You find this everywhere as a side dish, shredded onto rice, put in soup, wrapping kimbap, et cetera. There are different seasonings for this, different sizes, and the bags of pre-shredded gim especially have lots of flavorings like dried anchovies or sesame seeds.
Substitute: Japanese nori is the same thing.

Corn Syrup/Rice syrup/Sugar are used very commonly, because Korea is obsessed with making all food sweet. See just a portion of the corn syrup aisle at the grocery store above. I, personally, never use the syrups and cut the sugar in Korean recipes.

Vegetables

Most vegetables in Korea are either pickled or cooked to death and drowned in sauce. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of them. Pickling will get its own post later since it covers a wide variety of Korean foods, including obviously kimchi.

Common vegetables you will be using in Korean food are the following:

Bean sprouts
Napa cabbage
Green cabbage
Lettuce
Onions
Green onions
Leeks
Garlic
Ginger
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Carrots
Cucumbers
Hot peppers
Perilla leaves
Daikon

This is by no means a complete list. I've noticed some of the more exotic of these showing up at grocery stores in the US, but it's worth looking for an Asian market. China and Japan also use a lot of the same vegetables, so if you have one of those but not a Korean grocery go check it out anyway.

Meats

Korean cuisine makes heavy use of squid, octopus, cuttlefish, little fish, chicken, duck, and mainly pork. Beef also exists but is expensive as gently caress so it's not used as widely, feel free to take advantage of your cheap American beef and use it more widely. Lamb was once very popular, but the Japanese got rid of it during the occupation and now most Koreans refuse to touch it. Dog meat is less common than it was but my little neighborhood market still has a butcher selling it.

Tofu is also common protein.

Herbs and Spices

Korean food uses no herbs or spices. Cilantro was once popular, but has mostly gone away for reasons I've never discovered, and most Koreans refuse to eat it now. Salt is used, and gochugaru. Otherwise, I have not seen any herbs or spices in any Korean food except the occasional Kaesong grandma who still uses cilantro in her kimchi.

The closest exception is the use of Japanese curry powder occasionally.

Cooking Techniques

Korean food doesn't use any specialized techniques like stir-frying. I've observed little to no technique at all in Korean kitchens—throw everything in a pot at once and boil it to death is the standard procedure for like half the food. I encourage you to use the techniques you already know and ignore any Korean technique advice you see.

The Korean Table

Korean food is served all at once in like a thousand plates. Being the dishwasher at a Korean restaurant must be hell on Earth. Utensils are thin metal chopsticks and a spoon. You eat the rice with the spoon, not chopsticks like you are used to from Chinese or Japanese. You can do whatever of course.

In a typical Korean meal you have rice, which is the main dish. Then there's a soup of some sort. If there's meat or fish, that's a major side dish. Then you have a profusion of other side dishes called banchan. These range from kimchi to namul to jeon to hot dogs.

Korean Recipe Sites

Here is where I'm going to make the most controversial statement: I do not endorse Maangchi. Her food is generally okay, but from my four years of living in Korea I do not believe her food is good. Almost every recipe I have tried from her is off from how things taste in Korea, and not in a positive way. It's not terrible but it's like mediocre diner food. There are some exceptions--her japchae recipe is flawless and I fully support it--but in general I would not use Maangchi as your primary source.

So far, my favorite English language Korean cooking site is https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ I found it fairly recently and have made several recipes from it, all of which were right on with what I expect from Korean food.

Please post any others you've found and they will be edited in.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Before I get it changed, I'd like to acknowledge I'm a dumbass who hasn't posted a thread in so long I forgot about tagging it properly.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I will try to make an effort post about my favourite banchan and the different types you can find with a meal--particularly 밑반찬 (mitbanchan). Banchan are definitely my favourite part of making Korean at home, as its quite easy to just grab some tubs out of the fridge and plate them prettily to eat with whatever I happened to make. Also guess I'll need to make some kimchibokkeum and juk so I can take inevitably ugly pictures and share my recipes; both I got from a friend's mom.

I'm seconding the maangchi critique; I currently live in Korea, and any time I've tried to use one of her recipes it really doesn't taste like what I'd expect it to. She's not terrible, but her jjimdak and dakbokkeumtang/dakdoritang both don't really do either dish justice. I also find that her kimchi recipes are usually just average; unfortunately, my friend's mom still hasn't divulged the secrets of her kimchi making, so I can't share those.

I suppose if there's interest, I can also translate a couple of the Korean recipes I've used and enjoyed--there's a very good kamjatang recipe that I've found and enjoy.

ETA: daikon and mu taste different!!!!!! It's not that noticeable if you're just gonna ferment/boil them, but if the radish has a strong flavour profile in the dish, it will be a slightly different flavour.

So 99% of the time if you can't find mu just use daikon. Mu tend to be fatter and stubbier in shape than daikon.

felgs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 5, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a bunch of different daikon cultivars too. I think I'm growing three or four in my garden this year, I'll effortpost about them in like October or whenever they've grown and I can give some comparisons.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi,

Im not actually very familiar with Korean cooking but have taste for korean food and may want to try making some more in the future.

I have every Japanese staple in existence in my house (with rotating vegetables) and extremely easy access to Korean staples. Let's say I buy Gochujang, Gochujaru and Soybean paste - is that enough to get started?

Anything special techniquewise (I mostly cook Japanese and Chinese food)?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
also the local Korean store has mu but not a lot of Daikon, but the Japanese store has daikon and no mu,

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I've had the good fortune of living near a Korean bar that I'm now moving away from, and something I've come to love is their "shrubs"- they mix fruit vinegars with soju and make really delicious cocktails. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or recipe sources on this kind of thing- I haven't had much luck. I've found a source of soju, and I've purchased a couple fruit vinegars from a local market but they all have this sickly-sweet artificial sweetener flavor to them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I've found a source of soju, and I've purchased a couple fruit vinegars from a local market but they all have this sickly-sweet artificial sweetener flavor to them.

That's just how soju is. Industrial ethanol and artificial sweetners. Are you sure the cocktails aren't using fruit juice to dilute and hide the soju flavor?

ntan1 posted:

I have every Japanese staple in existence in my house (with rotating vegetables) and extremely easy access to Korean staples. Let's say I buy Gochujang, Gochujaru and Soybean paste - is that enough to get started?

Yeah those plus Japanese staples will cover most of your needs.

ntan1 posted:

Anything special techniquewise (I mostly cook Japanese and Chinese food)?

Not really. The Korean cooking flow chart is:

Is it edible?
Yes
|
Boil it for an hour

No
|
Boil it for an hour

One of the big advantages of doing it at home is you can not overcook things to death like a lot of restaurants and families in Korea do.

The only special thing I can think of you might actually want is a dolsot, a stone/ceramic pot used for serving soups and rice still hot and sizzling. You can't get the crispy rice at the bottom of your bowl without one.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I really liked the old Korean thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing more! Korean Bapsang looks like a cool resource too, so thank you GF. I really want to try making gyeranjjim, since the only place I had it is at a Korean BBQ that's about 45 minutes from my place and it seemed like it'd make a good breakfast.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That's just how soju is. Industrial ethanol and artificial sweetners. Are you sure the cocktails aren't using fruit juice to dilute and hide the soju flavor?

Huh, is most soju sweetened? The one time I tried it it was just straight alcohol, basically no flavor.

As a side note, I was successful with Kenji's vegan kimchi recipe if anyone needed such a thing. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html. The recipe says "1 large head napa cabbage, about 1 pound" but I don't know what kind of cabbages Kenji is getting, one large head was like 3+ pounds at the korean grocery I went to. I ended up with maybe 2.5 pounds after coring and taking off some of the leaves. I used a bit more salt, but the same amount of water/chili/miso and it turned out just about right. I think just tasting for it to be about sea water is the more important direction.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eeyo posted:

I think just tasting for it to be about sea water is the more important direction.
Have you tasted sea water recently? I don't think you made your brine that salty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Huh, is most soju sweetened? The one time I tried it it was just straight alcohol, basically no flavor.

I've never tasted non-sweet soju except for traditional Andong stuff, which was more of a rotting vomit flavor.

It's possible you got shochu, which is Japanese liquor made from various things like sweet potatoes and sometimes sold as soju. Shochu is okay and makes good cocktails like lemon sours, while soju is deeply offensive to me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Have you tasted sea water recently? I don't think you made your brine that salty.

Yeah it's actually has been a while since I've been to the ocean. Maybe tastes like the Black sea then, that's like 1/2 ocean water salinity apparently (and technically I can still call it sea water :smug:)?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never tasted non-sweet soju except for traditional Andong stuff, which was more of a rotting vomit flavor.

It's possible you got shochu, which is Japanese liquor made from various things like sweet potatoes and sometimes sold as soju. Shochu is okay and makes good cocktails like lemon sours, while soju is deeply offensive to me.

I think I got the Chumchurum brand. Apparently they make a "mild" version which is what I must have gotten, it just tasted like watered down vodka. I don't read Korean at all, so I could just be misremembering all of this.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I made "kimchi" on a whim on Thursday. White cabbage, carrot, salt, soy, tiny bit of sugar, gochujang, garlic, ginger, spring onions, and sriracha coz I was feeling cute.

It's not bubbling or anything despite two days of being left alone but hot drat it's good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean Recipe Sites

Here is where I'm going to make the most controversial statement: I do not endorse Maangchi. Her food is generally okay, but from my four years of living in Korea I do not believe her food is good. Almost every recipe I have tried from her is off from how things taste in Korea, and not in a positive way. It's not terrible but it's like mediocre diner food. There are some exceptions--her japchae recipe is flawless and I fully support it--but in general I would not use Maangchi as your primary source.

So far, my favorite English language Korean cooking site is https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ I found it fairly recently and have made several recipes from it, all of which were right on with what I expect from Korean food.

Yep, I agree with this. Maangchi is okay, a lot of her recipes are still my starting point, but with heavy modifications to amounts of ingredients. Korean Bapsang is a lot more to my palate straight from the recipe pretty much every time.

Edit: since I'm in the Korean thread, anyone know if there's a specific time of year I can find chonggakmu in stores? I managed to snag a jar of chonggak kimchi at the store today, but I've always wanted to make it myself.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 6, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know if it has a different season, but the kimchi vegetables always showed up in the markets around the same time in late fall. Napa, mu, daikons.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: since I'm in the Korean thread, anyone know if there's a specific time of year I can find chonggakmu in stores? I managed to snag a jar of chonggak kimchi at the store today, but I've always wanted to make it myself.

More specifically, chonggakkimchi and the traditional nappa kimchi are both traditionally made around November. That's when they're planned to be harvested, as well, so that's when you'll have the best chance of finding them. I almost never see the chonggakmu except at little 시장/open air markets, and even then I don't see a ton until November. A fair bit of seasonal stuff has changed, but at least my impression has been kimchi making is still very much a November thing.

eta: I mean I don't see chonggakmu at stores when it's not in season.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Word. I tend to find decent napa/mu all year round, but didn't recall ever seeing chonggakmu locally at all so I was curious. I'll have to take a trip down to Chicago and see if their fresh produce sections are better.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Let's talk about one of my favourite kind of banchan, mitbanchan (밑반찬).

Mitbanchan are lunchbox staples. They're defined by the fact that they last several days pretty safely, and so are very good to toss in your lunch box and add to any dinner without having to cook something extra. There are about a billion different kinds of mitbanchan, but for the most part it's either something that's semi-pickled in salt, vinegar, and maybe gochukaru; boiled in a soy based broth; soaked in a soy base mix; fried in a yangnyeom (양념) sauce... and so on. As such, a lot of mitbanchan can be very salty--perfect to eat with your rice to give it some flavour.

This is not an exhaustive list of mitbanchan by any means, but here are some of my favourites and how to make them. Website if there's an English version I've actually tested; otherwise I'll translate how I've been taught/a Korean recipe I've made.

(also please excuse any of my romanizations, I haven't brushed up on how to do some of the stuff in a long time)

Kkaetnip jangajji/깻잎장아찌

(kkaennip? god that's not how you say that word at all)

There's another variant of this called kkaetnip kimchi, and a third that's just soaked in yangnyeom sauce that you shouldn't bother eating because it just destroys what makes perilla leaves so good. Kind of an aside, but that's true for a lot of Korean food that doesn't need to be doused in yangnyeom sauce--RIP anyone who eats yangnyeom kejang and misses out the absolute joy that is kanjangkejang. But that's for a different post.

Perilla/shiso (not the same as Korean kkaetnip but close enough to not matter if you can't find the Korean variety) pickled in soy, pepper, garlic, and vinegar. This one can be real salty, and my favourite way to eat it is to grab a leaf, plop some rice on, then wrap it up and shove in my mouth. I'm pretty much addicted to kkaetnip though, and any dish that lets me shove it in my face is my favourite.

Recipe Link

Kongjaban/콩자반

Black soy boys boiled in some sort of sweet (sugar, rice syrup, honey) and soy. Very yummy, a little nutty. Extremely easy to make. Sure, you can use the regular soybeans, but they don't look nearly as pretty. Sub mirin with cheongju if you want, I haven't noticed it mattering. Honey can be used in place of corn syrup fine. Recipe Link

Dubu Jorim/두부조림

This is very good fresh and hot, but I've also found I don't mind it cold either. Tofu braised in a mix of soy, pepper, and sugar. Use brown sugar if you can; that's the default sugar in Korea. Recipe Link

Maneul Jangajji/마늘장아찌

Pickled garlic has the best tiny bit of crunch and all that joys of eating garlic too. I can eat through so much of this in one go if I'm not careful. Recipe Link

Musaengchae/무생채

Usually made when radish is in season around November, you can really make this as long as you've got a radish. Since nothing is cooked here and the radish is the star, this is one of those dishes where the type of radish you use is going to matter. As I've mentioned before in the thread, mu and daikon do have slightly different tastes, and this is a dish where that's going to be noticeable.

This is basically a shredded radish 'salad'. It's real good with meat. Recipe Link

Oi Muchim/오이무침

Much like musaengchae, this is most common when cucumbers are in season and everywhere. They basically start giving them away during summer--I know I've been able to get 10 for 1000won before. This is one of many good ways to use them up. Sweet, a little crunchy, and tangy. Recipe Link

Yeongeun Jorim/연근조림

Braised lotus roots, these have an interesting texture and flavour. It's actually a bit sweet because it's mostly all hecking sugars, but the soy does balance that out a fair bit. I honestly always forget that I actually enjoy them until they happen to show up at a restaurant or school lunch, and then I remember I do like them. While not standard, I do like to toss a couple peanuts in to braise with them. I learned how to make this from my friend's mom, but Maangchi's recipe has the exact same process so I'm gonna link her.

Recipe Link - Maangchi suggests that sugar can be substituted for all the syrup, but it really can't. The syrup helps make it super sticky, which is delicious. Her braising sauce isn't the way I was taught; I was taught 1 cup soy, 2/3 cup rice syrup, 15 tablespoons brown sugar per 500mL of water (which is for 2 larger lotus roots). Everything else is roughly the same process though.

Jangjorim/장조림

This is a staple at basically any juk restaurant you go to, and that's the main time that I eat it because it's a pain in the rear end to make at home. There's a version with only eggs, too, but honestly my favourite way to eat this is to mix bits of the shredded beef into my juk for a savory yummy treat as I'm eating my sick people food.

Quail eggs are usual, but since those are kind of hard to get in some places outside Korea, I know you can use regular eggs. You just don't get as many, which is sad, because eating the eggs is also good.

Recipe - I was gonna post one but then I just kept saying a million things to change, so here's a translation of this recipe I've used in the past.

Ingredients
-600g flank or brisket
-boiled quail eggs (if doing eggs; the above recipe does not, but they do need to be boiled beforehand if you use them.)

Broth to boil in
-7 cups water
-7 cloves garlic
-1 finger of ginger
-white part of 2 green onions (leeks?)(대파)
-either 2 korean green peppers fresh (cheongyang gochu/청양고추), or 2 dried gochu

Ingredients for the Seasoning
-12 Tablespoons soy sauce
-3 spoons cheongju (the recipe says 맛술, which could be cheongju or mirin, as I've seen both sold as 맛술. I typically use cheongju, since it's readily available)
-1 Tablespoon brown sugar
-2 Tablespoons rice syrup (i sub honey here, as I don't much care for mulyeot/물엿)
-1 dried gochu

Directions
1. Soak your beef for about 30 minutes in cold water; this supposedly helps with any smell.
2. Put all the broth ingredients in the water, then bring to a roiling boil. Once boiling, add in your beef. Cover with lid if you're worried about anything boiling over and to lower the meat smell. Boil it for about 40 to 50 minutes on a low flame, stirring sometimes.
3. Once the meat is properly tender, remove all veggies. You only need to keep the meat and broth.
4. When the meat is cooled enough to touch, shred it up. You want the shreds to be about an inch long; check the recipe site to see a picture.
5. Place shredded beef in; add all other seasoning ingredients. If doing eggs, add them here. Boil it down until you don't have so much broth, maybe half what you start with? (I've also seen just letting it marinate for about an hour, but i personally prefer the boiling).

Mumallaengi/무말랭이

I'm sorry, I don't have a good recipe for this, literally the greatest of all banchan*. It's dried strips of radish, tossed in a valid use of yangnyeom sauce. You then eat it, or you can trap it between two wire meshes and grill it for a beautiful char and eat that. It's got a very chewy semi-tough texture that I love, and when it chars it's even better somehow. And I have never once found a recipe that makes it to my satisfaction; I typically either buy it from a local banchan shop or eat it at a dolseot bibimbap place I visit every time I'm in Jeonju. I'm sorry. But if you find this, sometimes you can find it in those premade banchan pouches, you should get it and grill it because it's just so hecking good. Especially with meat.

This really doesn't even scratch the surface of this particular type of banchan, or banchan in general; it's really more a starting point of some that I personally super like and wanted to share.

-------
*to me

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
What type of rice do people in Korea normally prefer/eat?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

What type of rice do people in Korea normally prefer/eat?

White sticky rice, much like Japan.

That said, it's not uncommon for many other grains and such to be cooked in with it. Purple/black rice, chestnuts, different beans, different seeds (barley seeds were in the lunch rice today), actual barley or brown rice etc. If its tiny and can be steamed with the rice, it's probably something that gets added. Roast kim is also sometimes on top/mixed in.

If you want more info, I can actually look up the names in English of the stuff commonly mixed into rice.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FelicityGS posted:

White sticky rice, much like Japan.

That said, it's not uncommon for many other grains and such to be cooked in with it. Purple/black rice, chestnuts, different beans, different seeds (barley seeds were in the lunch rice today), actual barley or brown rice etc. If its tiny and can be steamed with the rice, it's probably something that gets added. Roast kim is also sometimes on top/mixed in.

If you want more info, I can actually look up the names in English of the stuff commonly mixed into rice.

I've seen (online) a lot of things they steam with rice, and I like that idea!
but I kept wondering about the type of rice.
So, to resemble it, I can use the same rice that I use for making sushi, right?

and I never heard or saw chestnuts being added to rice, that's awesome.
Barley is something I still need to try.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

paraquat posted:

I've seen (online) a lot of things they steam with rice, and I like that idea!
but I kept wondering about the type of rice.
So, to resemble it, I can use the same rice that I use for making sushi, right?

and I never heard or saw chestnuts being added to rice, that's awesome.
Barley is something I still need to try.

My favourite dolseot bibimbap place adds chestnuts to their rice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it.

And yes, the same stuff you'd use for sushi works.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FelicityGS posted:

My favourite dolseot bibimbap place adds chestnuts to their rice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it.

And yes, the same stuff you'd use for sushi works.

Excellent, thanks for your answers.
And I will definitely try chestnuts in my rice!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jjajangmyeon yass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did some jeyuk deopbap. One of my favorite things to get at gimbap shops and only recently did I manage to make a decent version.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm sick as a dog and my everything hurts and I don't wanna go out. Time to make some juk/죽!

Here's a really lovely joke I made up in Korean.

Q:누가 죽을 먹나요?
A: 죽는 사람!

Juk
Like basically every rice based diet, this is Korea's version of rice porridge. There are a billion variations on what you should put into it, and they're all pretty acceptable. Even though a lot of times juk is translated as rice porridge, it can be other types of porridge too--probably most common is pumpkin porridge/단호박죽.

I do a couple nonstandard things in my juk, which i'll point out, but for the most part I follow how I was taught to make it. I also warn you away from maangchi's juk recipes--they're... okay. Kind of bland, and the texture never comes out like I prefer.

Ingredients

1 cup of rice.

It feels like everyone preps their rice differently. If you clean and soak it first, you'll need to reduce how much water you use later. You can just clean it and then use it. Or, if like me, you like a very sticky juk, just have it ready to go without any cleaning.

green bowl:
1 leek OR several little green onions, finely chopped
1" ish of carrot, cut into tiny cubes
7 cloves garlic (i'm trying to purge my disease), minced
1 roughly 1" thumb of ginger, peeled and minced finely

spice bowl
a stick of chinese/korean cinnamon (you can use regular cinnamon)
2 bay leaves
1 dried gochu, broken up (mince if you want it even spicier)
1 tablespoon cumin seeds (NOT STANDARD)
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds (NOT STANDARD)

mushroom bowl
2 fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 reconstituted woodear mushroom/목이버섯, minced (if you can get these fresh, go for it, but they're not in season right now)

assorted other goods, left to right
1 cup standard korean veggie stock**
1 tablespoon oil (i use grapeseed cause I can get it cheap, but use whatever)
a 6 x 6 sheet of dashima/kelp cut into 4 manageable pieces
9 or so medium sized dried anchovies in a pouch for easy removal
whole pepper
pinch of salt to taste if needed later
1 tablespoonish of honey
2 tablespoons soup soy sauce/국간장 (fish sauce works fine if you can't find soup soy sauce)

**The traditional Korean veggie stock is a carrot, leek (대파), bit of radish, shiitake mushroom, yellow onion, garlic, gochu, and kelp/dashima. Just remove the dashima after it's been boiling 10 minutes; otherwise make as you would any other stock.

---
Not pictured: water. You'll need roughly 4 to 6 cups of cold water, depending on how runny you like your juk. A general ratio here, where liquid is water/stock:

Thick: 1 cup rice per 6 cups liquid
Medium: 1 cup rice per 7 cups liquid
Thinner: 1 cup rice per 8 cups liquid
Soupy: 1 cup rice per 9 cups liquid
WTF are you doing: 1 cup rice per 10 cups liquid

Personally, I always err on the side of less liquid, as it's very easy to add more and a pain the rear end to reduce it off.
---

I add cumin and fennel because I like the final flavour in a mushroom veggie juk like I'm making here. No Korean probably ever would, but I'm sick so I'm making it the way I want to eat it!!!!!

You can also ditch the gochu if you want, and it's often not featured much, but my nose is stuffy and I need all the help I can get.

Let's cook!!!!!

Anchovy stock

You're going to need about 2 cups of this, so in a small pot, add your dashima, anchovy pouch, the cup of veggie stock, and a little over 1 cup cold water. Bring to a boil, lower heat a bit, and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove the anchovy and dashima, turn off heat. If you want, you can use the dashima to make a variant of miyeok salad, but I really recommend you just toss it. It's not as thin as miyeok, or a very pleasant texture to eat.

Juk steps
Add your oil to a large pot (I'm using a wok), and heat up the oil on medium-high/high. Toss in your spices, stir for about 30 seconds, then add the veggie bowl.

Cook that for about 1 minute, making sure nothing burns. Once aromatic, toss in your mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms take on some color.

Clear the center, toss in your rice. You want to cook it until it's mostly translucent; a couple pieces might go white, that's fine. It should look something like this though:

This next bit is up to you; I always add my honey/soy mix here, and that's how I was taught, but I have seen a lot of recipes say you should add this near the end when the juk is almost done. I like the color it adds though, so I add my 2Tbsp soup soy and honey here.

As soon as you've added that, give it a good mix, then add your two cups anchovy broth you made and 4 cups of cold water. Give it a good stir:

Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and lower the heat to low. Go watch a ten minute video, come back to make sure it's doing okay and give it a stir, repeat. After about thirty or so minutes, mine looked like this:

That's not done--the rice grains are still pretty cohesive, and it doesn't look very soft. I added another cup of cold water here, gave it a good stir, and then put the lid back on. Ten more minutes and another quarter cup-ish of water later, it looked like this:

Which is perfect for me. I like my juk a bit more thick and not as mushy as some people. If you want it thinner/more mushy, just keep adding water a little bit at a time and testing it as you go.

Now, usually you'd add roasted crushed seaweed on top, but I'm out and not going outside if I can help it, so I went with toasted sesame seeds and green onion tops. I also added a little more crushed gochu, again, in hopes it will help my sinuses. I also always add a little more black pepper.

This is also real good with a soft boiled egg on top, or a poached one, but I'm not feeling it today.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The juk looks great! Hope you're feeling better.

In the meantime, I made Korean spicy dried squid (Ojingeochae Muchim) for the first time:

Anyway, too bad that I really really like this, because apparently, dried shredded squid costs a fortune.

I paid 4 euro's for 50 gram of dried squid.
That's about 4.46 US dollars for less than 2 oz (1.76 oz to be precise)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's a real good banchan too; it sucks it costs so much for the squid.

felgs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 24, 2019

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I made yak gochujang:

I pretty much used this recipe
https://mykoreankitchen.com/gochujang-sauce/

although I upped the amount of pine nuts
and I upped the amount in general by way too much :downs:

Other than using it every day for dinner for the next month (duh), I could use any and every suggestion you have!!
(besides tossing it, because it is WAY too good to be tossed :3: )

Seriously, give me as much ways to use this as possible...please

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, that one stumped me. I've never seen or heard of it before.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Topping on anything. Bibimbap, omurice, regular omelets, add a spoonful to tomato sauce for kick, jjolmyeon, bibimmyeon, dollop on various kinds of jeon, eat with meat (duh), and so on.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This post is going to be a bit all over the place--I started making bulgogi, realized I had no room for my cucumber after all, and made cucumber muchim, there's soup and various banchan/namul that appear from the ether.

So let's start with the oi muchim/오이무침

I just used Korean babsang's oi muchim recipe. Added some buchu/garlic chives cause I happened to buy some this week. Dropped the sesame oil because it causes deep gut distress. What is the pear doing? Stay tuned to find out.

That's now in the fridge; I'm not eating it tonight because it really is better the next day.

The oi muchim was made while I was waiting on my bulgogi to finish marinating. This is basically Korean babsang again with some tweaks here and there to taste--more buchu, less meat, added mushrooms, etc. I'm using 300g of whatever the bulgogi meat is at my local mart is--it's Korean beef too, so maybe too expensive, but bulgogi cuts are usually cheap enough.

Marinade made:

The meat is very very thinly sliced; I like to cut it into more managable pieces for eating before marinating too.

Into the fridge

Wash hands and take a break to bother the cats:

At this point, I made the oi muchim when I saw I'd forgot to put the cucumber into the bulgogi, and then made a pear duck since I still had a lot of pear left:

After an hour, I got my deonjang and rice started. The rice was washed and mixed with purple rice.

For the deonjang, tofu skins and more garlic chives. I decided to use the very dark deonjang I bought from a local place recently--they have a nice variety of deonjang and gochujang and I really like their stuff.

Deonjang isn't hard--I bring 2 cups of cold water with some veggie stock and katsuo to a boil, turn the heat off, dump in the chives and tofu skins, and whisk the deonjang in a bit at a time. The pot I use is one of the very heavy pots that holds heat for a while, so once I finish mixing stuff in I just slap a lid on it and get to work on the bulgogi.

Sizzle sizzle

I also get my banchan ready--this is a plate just of mung bean/spinach/oyster mushroom namul to eat with my rice, plus some homemade not quite fully pickled kkaenip jangaji.

Time to eat! Just above the bulgogi is kongjaban/콩자반, and the kimchi is some my friend's mom gives me every year :3: I highly recommend getting a Korean mom to decide she wants to give you kimchi.

There's still more bulgogi, to be honest, and that's gonna be used throughout the week for dinner because it warms up pretty well with some rice.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cute Duck. (And cute cats!)

Does the purple rice taste different? Or is it just purple?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Cute Duck. (And cute cats!)

Does the purple rice taste different? Or is it just purple?

It has a little bit of a nutty flavour if you had enough to get a deep purple color. If you just add enough for a kind of lilac color, it doesnt add a very strong flavour of it's own. I use it cause I like purple :3:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Chiming in on the purple rice:
it's indeed slightly nutty, I like it a lot! (because it looks weird, is apparently healthy and tastes nice)

Ate it for the first time this week, with "spicy tuna": http://seonkyounglongest.com/spicy-tuna-recipe/

Right now I'm making a couple of banchan to eat with this.
Will be serving it to the BF this weekend, he saw the pic and is especially curious about the purple rice.
So I hope I can serve a proper-ish Korean meal this weekend.

FelicityGS, your food looks so good (although the cats are WAAAY too cute),
I love learning from you!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 8, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Your tuna looks great, and I don't even really enjoy tuna! Also purple rice fan :respek:

Banchan are probably my favourite thing. During the work week it's kind of hard for me to muster the energy to cook; just replenishing my stock on the weekend means my work nights I just need to come up with rice and maybe some sort of protein.

Here's one of my meals with some of the leftover bulgogi:

Banchan in this meal (most aren't visible)
kkaenip jangaji
kongjaban
mumallaengi
oi muchim
spinach namul
gosari namul
pickled egg yolk (technically Japanese but whatever)

Bonus fun fact:
Lunch boxes (dosilak/도시락) aren't really as common now since school's provide pretty good lunch. You do seem people go on picnics with them sometimes, though. It's the same idea as Japanese bento. The vast majority are functional over cute, but there is a nice little hobbyist lunchbox group out there doing super cute stuff and it means that it's not too difficult to pick up imported Japanese rice and egg molds for very cheap.

Here's a couple youtube links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcW87hiWgVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2KVL1ChS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ma9PkAkgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73dVjs43Ew

None of these link to the plethora of horrifying minion dosilak.

You're welcome.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
LMAO! Your dosirak and those links, that's all just way too cute.
it's not that I don't WANT to make lunchboxes like that, but my immediate coworker might hang herself if I brought anything close to that to work.
That's middle-aged woman who is a self-proclaimed bad cook...she does make "Chili", but if you ask for the specifics, she uses a tortilla wrap and a banana....that's when I stopped questioning her cooking skills ;-)

But seriously, I did google the banchan you used, well, the first three, because I wasn't sure what they were (I am familiar with the rest of them)....I LOVE the Korean kitchen and its banchans (not only the taste, but the way it changes the preparation of a meal)
Oh, and purple rice, that was such a great discovery :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This popped up on my recommendations and seemed like something people might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvEF5rmHrI